It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 7749 times)

Offline Vandervecken

• Probie
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Introduction
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 07:48:55 AM »
Language!

This weekend was interesting.  After Mass, I stayed for coffee and donuts.  One of the Hispanic women came over to talk to me.  She's about 10 years younger than me, 2 daughters, attractive.  She immigrated to the US in the early 2000s, so she still has that wonderful, sultry accent.

We were making small talk about the weather, and she asked me what I would be doing today if I could.  So I told her that I used to own a sailboat and on days like this I would take the boat out on the lake for a day-long cruise. 

At first, her eyes opened a it and her body language indicated she was actually interested.  She asked me what was it like to sail.  And I told her a bit, but then her expression got very dark and moody. 

What I had told her was something like: "I would take <boat's name> out in a morning.  <Boat's name> was slow at first, her top fluttering loose until the wind filled it.  <Boat's name> was pretty big, hard to get her to do what I wanted at times.  I just had to force the issue."

Innocent right?  Except that by habit I always referred to the boat by her name, not "my boat."  Then it hit me: my boat's name was "Novia."  :o

Oops...

I quickly explained this to her, and she laughed so hard she almost choked on her coffee!

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 07:57:18 AM »
Thats a weird but interesting story LOL. Never dawned n you when you were telling her?

Offline Vandervecken

• Probie
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 12:12:05 PM »
Thats a weird but interesting story LOL. Never dawned n you when you were telling her?
I haven't dated in almost 30 years, I was a bit tongue-tied!  And since I don't speak Spanish, "Novia" doesn't have the same meaning to me... in my head, "Novia" was a Catalina 25 cabin cruiser sailboat!  ::)   The previous owner had named the boat, and it's considered to be bad luck to change a boat's name.

Fortunately she seemed to forgive the faux pas. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:16:18 PM by Vandervecken »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 12:12:05 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 03:45:17 PM »
Language!

This weekend was interesting.  After Mass, I stayed for coffee and donuts.  One of the Hispanic women came over to talk to me.  She's about 10 years younger than me, 2 daughters, attractive.  She immigrated to the US in the early 2000s, so she still has that wonderful, sultry accent.

We were making small talk about the weather, and she asked me what I would be doing today if I could.  So I told her that I used to own a sailboat and on days like this I would take the boat out on the lake for a day-long cruise. 

At first, her eyes opened a it and her body language indicated she was actually interested.  She asked me what was it like to sail.  And I told her a bit, but then her expression got very dark and moody. 

What I had told her was something like: "I would take <boat's name> out in a morning.  <Boat's name> was slow at first, her top fluttering loose until the wind filled it.  <Boat's name> was pretty big, hard to get her to do what I wanted at times.  I just had to force the issue."

Innocent right?  Except that by habit I always referred to the boat by her name, not "my boat."  Then it hit me: my boat's name was "Novia."  :o

Oops...

I quickly explained this to her, and she laughed so hard she almost choked on her coffee!

Lordy, that's funny. You don't need an overactive imagination to think about misunderstandings and  unintended interpretations, but possibly viewed as innuendos, as described. Too many things already get mangled and 'Lost in translation.'

But as Shakepeare said: 'All's well that ends well'. Imagine if she just was clueless and went back to her group of female friends, saying: "He said he needed to get big and hard with me and to force the issue". That wooda put a wedge between you and her alright....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:23:12 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 03:07:03 PM »
Hi Van,

I'm curious if you are going to pursue the Church annulment option. I know it's not easy, not fast, and not guaranteed to be successful, but I know a few couples who have done it. I think it depends somewhat on the personal views of the local bishop.

Does your parish have Spanish masses? You might try attending one or two and check it out. Except for the homily, you should be able to understand what is going on...same mass, different language.

If your parish does the Posadas at Christmas time, I would try to attend one of the masses. Should be fun and also give you a deeper insight into the culture.

Good luck...

Ray
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:22:23 PM by Ray »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats