It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Ellos me robaron  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Elexpatriado

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Ellos me robaron
« on: January 08, 2019, 11:12:56 AM »
I had a bunch of maintenance  problems in my apartment today.

The Agency said they would send a técnico early today.

Came  noon and the guy  never shows up .

Phoned  agency and they said " The guy was robbed and had to go to la filiscaria ( or CAI.. dont remember which it was)..to get his documentos..

I don't know how many times I hsve heard that mentirosa in Colombia..from so many persons..inso many different situaciones..

Anyway..he finally showed up ..

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Ellos me robaron
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 01:02:56 PM »
I had a bunch of maintenance  problems in my apartment today.

The Agency said they would send a técnico early today.

Came  noon and the guy  never shows up .

Phoned  agency and they said " The guy was robbed and had to go to la filiscaria ( or CAI.. dont remember which it was)..to get his documentos..

I don't know how many times I hsve heard that mentirosa in Colombia..from so many persons..inso many different situaciones..

Anyway..he finally showed up ..
It's a good excuse because I don't know any colombians who haven't been robbed

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »
It's a good excuse because I don't know any colombians who haven't been robbed

wow good point, i had to stop and think about that for a minute. i think just about every colombian i know also, has been robbed at least once. some a few times.  :o

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »

Offline Wildstubby

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 05:29:24 PM »
It's funny. My son is an avid Pokemon Go! addict. For the uninformed, that is where people go around with their cell phones, usually in their nearby municipality, and capture 'Pokemon'. I don't play but I do know it is a world encompassing game since many flock here from other countries to big 'outings' like in Philadelphia and Chicago. Anyway, I ask my fiance's son if he and others do it in Colombia. He told me no. When I asked why he replied, "People would have their cell phones stolen!" It explained a lot.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 01:17:19 AM »

wow good point, i had to stop and think about that for a minute. i think just about every colombian i know also, has been robbed at least once. some a few times.  :o

Have you ever been robbed?

I have never been robbed and I think I know why. I don't use public transportation except for a few taxis and uber from time to time. Uber is much safer. I have never used a bus or the metro.

I avoid bad areas of the city. I live in a good area.

I don't really socialize with colombian people that think of themselves as poor.
I don't get drunk EVER. And I never walk around at night...nor do I talk and chat on my Iphone while on the street.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:19:19 AM by Calipro »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 05:51:16 AM »
I have never been robbed either.
My Colombian friend who lived here has whole life has never been robbed.

Lots Colombian women have been robbed.. maybe once or twice in their life..because they do stupid things like carry a purse or are forced to walk throuh a bad area to her to her to school or work.

But when I hear someone tell me they were robbed, I think of the situation. Usually it is a BS story  to cover Up their own stupidity, tardiness or dishonesty (the lawyer or visa agent who lost or sold your passport; the person who shows up late or misses an appointment), or they are trying to get sympathy from you so you give them money.

What is way  more common in Colombia than getting robbed is getting lied to by a Colombian. Manizales , Bucaramanga people are a little more honest than Medellín, Pereira and Armenia. The coast is even worse. Bogota I cant rate cuz I havent spent enough time there.

When I am speaking with a Colombian I dont know , and they tell me something that seems suspiscious , I assume they are lie-ing. It is the only way to protect yourself and be able to better negotiate.Not saying all Colombians are liars, but a good percentage are.

With Colombians, it is best to asume they are lie-ing.Espesially when dealing with people from small villages in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta..LOL.

Colombians to me are quilty until proveen innocent.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:56:04 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 06:07:35 AM »
The áreas I usually walk in people have their cell phone out all the time.

I wouldnt do it in a crowded Street in el Centro.

In some situations,where there are lots of people, I walk down the Street with my hands in my pocket covering and graspng my wallet and cell phone tightly.

I remember once entering a discoteque in Cuba.. people pushing and shoving..I covered my wallet with my Hands in my pocket..could feel all the hands overtop of my pocket trying to get inside to get my wallet.. LOL

BTW.. that is the one time I think they put a drug in my beer..but I got out with the help of my friend.

Happened a long time ago.

You have to use your common sense and street smarts and adjust    your actions for the time, location and general situation.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:10:07 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline buenopues4

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 06:31:13 AM »
One time long ago I was riding with a compañera of the time in a packed jeep from El Valle to the airport at Bahia Solano. Our luggage was right behind her. When we got out at the end of the ride she discovered her money had been taken out of her backpack. I think it was only twenty thousand pesos but it was a lot for her as she was a poor Indian girl. Personally though, and knock on wood it has never happened to me.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »
I have never been robbed in Colombia but then I am a paranoid Canadian.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 05:45:06 PM »
Change can occur.  In the hell hole known as Manila, crime is down by one third and still dropping fast. Why? President Duterte, who for twenty years was the Mayor in Davao City.

Davao is where we have a house in the Philippines. There, alcohol sales and bars stop like clockwork at 1AM, smoking in public is strictly against the law and nobody under age 18 is allowed outside after 10PM.

Crime is almost non existent. They look the other way on prostitution,  but the whores have to have proof of regular checks for STDs. Never heard of a hooker transmitting a STD there, and they say business is robust.

I have walked around in the poorest areas of the 1.7 million population city (2nd largest in nation)at 3AM, having to remind myself that checking my back pockets to make sure my wallet and phone's still there is completely unnecessary.

Wish I could say the same here in the USA...

It's drastic, but vigilante "death squads" target clearly identified repeat offenders. Death by gunshot if you don't enter rehabilitation or leave town after being proven a repeat offender, is the ugly reality.

Not common, but they'll shoot you dead on the sidewalk in broad daylight. Perps are well aware, having been warned beforehand.

Manila  is a harder case. It has a longer and deeper crime scene, with corrupt govt and wealthy citizens at the top, down to the slums, all involved.

There, the reformed and now better paid cops, along with death squads, have focused on killing off warned drug offenders, starting with the wealthy, the corrupt police and judicial system, then on street level druggies.

Corruption overall is way down.

Drastic? Extreme? Yes. The USA, the United Nations and others piss and moan, about "human rights."

But as President,  Duterte has by far the highest approval rate from the public that any President in the 102 million nation has ever had.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/world/asia/philippines-davao-duterte.amp.html
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Calipro

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 11:59:55 PM »
Change can occur.  In the hell hole known as Manila, crime is down by one third and still dropping fast.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/world/asia/philippines-davao-duterte.amp.html

The article you site is from june 16 2016.

This one is from july 20 d018

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/07/19/18/pnp-crime-rate-drops-but-murder-rate-up-in-2-years

things have suddenly taken a turn for the worst.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 08:27:45 AM »

The article you site is from june 16 2016.

This one is from july 20 d018

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/07/19/18/pnp-crime-rate-drops-but-murder-rate-up-in-2-years

things have suddenly taken a turn for the worst.

While arguably the highest in S.E. Asia, even at it's highest, in it's worst areas, It's still a fraction of what some other parts of the world deal with.

Furthermore, it's very likely that a large percent of the killings are vigilante and drug trade members killing off other drug trade members and that the numbers will go down (like other crime % have) as the 'participants' are eradicated.

It sure isn't pretty. Unusually, years back they dropped one guy in a supermarket, blew him away, where my Mother in law was-- in a supermarket about 3 hours from Davao City, when Duterte was still Mayor back in Davao. That was before he became the nation's president. His daughter is Davao Mayor now and is also 'no nonsense.'

Duterte has been compared to Trump. He's got a real quick, dirty big mouth and while he's 'ladies man', he readily admits it. In fact, he admits a lot of  'off the wall' stuff,  to the point where there's not a lot to expose.

It's bizzare in a lot of ways, how for instance he's said a lot of nasty stuff about the Catholic Church, even verbally attacking the Pope, in a nation's that's easily 80% Catholic, but his popularity is still super high. (At least the past few years). I guess the public sees it as his 'opinion.'

Next time you get telephone customer service from the Philippines, ask the agent what he/she thinks about him. Chances are they love him. Hell, he's making college free, rebuilding all the airports, making massive infrastructure improvements all around (even traffic) and the economy's doing great.

But he's called the USA President an SOB in earlier years (Obama) and to say he's 'politically incorrect ' is a huge understatement.

I used the feel that in the Philippines,  corruption was so entrenched that it permeated the culture, the earth under people's feet,  to the very core of the earth and that it was impossible to envision any reduction. The Filipino rich and powerful, along with their friends in Chinese organized crime, just freaking ran the place.

Yet Duterte is disassembling the corrupt controlling rich and powerful old establishment Filipino elite, while artfully playing off the Chinese and Russians, as well as (to a lesser extent) the USA, on the world stage.

It's amazing he's still alive.

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/in-depth/204949-pnp-number-deaths-daily-duterte-administration
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline buenopues4

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 04:54:38 PM »
I'm not sure all of (or any) of this is of interest to posters on the Latin forum. Would think it would be of more interest to posters on the asian forum.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 04:54:38 PM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5874
Latest: BillyGeots
New This Month: 3
New This Week: 2
New Today: 0
Stats