It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Your advice for learning Spanish !!  (Read 5386 times)

Offline singlefather no more

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Your advice for learning Spanish !!
« on: November 12, 2007, 02:31:54 AM »
Hey Guys,

What do you guys use as Spanish translation programs lately ?

What resources would you recommend to learn Spanish ?

I am getting serious about finding a Latina but first I must greatly
improve my Spanish.

singlefather

Offline raycjs

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Your advice for learning Spanish !!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 12:56:29 PM »
SF

I use www.systransoft.com i find this to be a good program
i am also going to my local highschool on monday nights and
taking a spanish class it cost me 83.00 for 12 weeks . i am also
taking this very serious. good luck

ray
Ray from OHIO

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 07:39:07 PM »
I learned Spanish from my wife who still does not speak much English. I know that it violates all the "rules" but we're happy so who cares.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 07:39:07 PM »

Offline EbonyPrince

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 08:26:47 PM »
I highly recommend WordMagic software http://www.wordmagicsoft.com.  It does a very good job of translating.  Plus it also has speech built-in so that you can listen to your translations.

I also highly recommend the Pimsleur Language Series Spanish 1-3.  They are a little expensive, but I loved the 30 minute lesson format.  I also like how it involves you totally in hearing conversations and speaking.  Each lesson builds on the previous.  Definately the best method I have used thus far including studying in high school, college, continuing ed, and books.

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 12:30:45 PM »
Pimsleur is decent like Prince mentioned.  My wife has used it for the learning english (I'm sure it would be better if she actually opened the program once in a while.

My advice is to watch shows with Spanish subtitles.  I don't have any patience to sit in a classroom, so that's what I did.  Or a step up would be to watch movies that you may have seen a 100 times with spanish audio and subs so you can really immerse yourself.
Send more divers, the last ones tasted great!  -  JAWS

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:35:47 PM »
Hey Montrealer , Thanks for the info... How is it going my fellow Canadian.. Got to love how the Canadian dollar is doing...  I have not posted for a dogs age , my old handle was widowerfromCanada or Canadaman...

Did you get married ? Did you get your novia to Montreal yet ? I hope all is well.

singlefather

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 05:44:57 PM »
I would like to thanks raycjs , Ebonyprince and utopiacowboy for your feedback , comments and info.

Utopiacowboy,

My fellow Canadian and transplanted Texan,

I hope everything is going well with your family , I bet your step sons
are breaking lots of hearts. How is your sister-in-law with the incredible
legs. She is a beautiful woman from the pics I remember you sent me
once. I hope you will get a pension in Canadian dollars.. ( low blow)

singlefather

formerly known as WidowerfromCanada and Canadaman on PBH

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 10:26:46 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes! I may have to go back to Canada at the rate things are going.

Offline Patrick

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 04:18:32 PM »
I tried various books, tapes, etc. but ultimately took night classes in a junior college.  I learned far more in the structured environment of an actual classroom than I did in self-study.  After 15 units I was able to converse fairly well.  It takes considerable work to learn a foreign language.  It'll give you an idea of the uphill battle your Latin wife faces in learning English (which is more difficult to learn as a second language than Spanish from what I hear).

I don't think there's an easy way out on this if you really want to learn enough to communicate well.

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 05:59:10 AM »

;D

Offline JamesDonut

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 07:17:41 PM »
Classes are a good first step.  But they are only the tip of the iceberg.  Nothing replaces actually immersing yourself in a situation where all everyone speaks is the language you are learning.  One thing to try is find out if there are groups in your community where they have meetings in Spanish.  A lot of times there are churches that will do this. 

Here are a couple of other things you can do on your own to help.  To build your vocabulary, pick 10 words out of the Spanish dictionary every day and learn to use them.  Also find the book 501 Spanish verbs.  It will help you conjugate the most used words in the Spanish language.   
Revel In the Past, Party In the Present, Save Donuts for the Future.

Offline michaelb

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 09:28:43 PM »
That 501 book is on Amazon for eighty-nine cents (plus 3.99 shipping-ha, there is where they make their money). Spanish has three types of verbs (know as 'AR', 'ER' and 'IR'). All of the regular verbs (about 95% of them) follow a pattern, which is basically chop off the ar, er or ir and replace it with the proper ending (both for tense and person). For study purposes, the ending are usually shown in a two column, three row table, like this:
AR, present tense
1st  sing        o          1st plural   amos
2nd sing fam  as         2nd plural   ais (should have an accent on the a)
3rd  sing        a          3rd plural   an

ANY textbook or dictionary should show you the pattern for each tense. Learn the pattern.

Offline michaelb

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 08:41:35 AM »
Follow up. In case you didn't learn this in English grammar class (and no, I'm not talking down, when I taught, most of the students had NOT learned it).
singular of course is one
plural is more than one (I think everybody knew that)
What do we mean by 1st person, 2nd person and 3rd person? (This is the part that a lot of people didn't learn)
1st person is when the actor (speaker, writer) is describing his own actions. Example: I am talking.
2nd person is when you are talking to a person. Example: You are eating.
3rd person is when you are talking about a person (or thing) who is neither yourself nor the person you are directly talking to. Example: He is running.

A peculiarity of Spanish (at least to English speakers, I know French does and I think all of the Romance languages do) is that they have the 'formal' and 'informal'. Traditionally (although thanks to modern advertising, this is in transition) you should NOT use the familiar unless you are a close friend, family member or have specifically been invited to do so (similar to the English "Mister Smith? Please, call me Bob"), especially with strangers or authority figures. So, they actually use 3rd person when addressing somebody. The 2nd person (familiar) word for you is 'tu' ('vos' in a few countries), the 3rd person (formal) word for you is 'usted' (often abbreviated as Vd or Ud). Some etymologists say that Usted is itself a contraction of vuestra majistad (your majesty).  I would advise one to use 'tu' with their GF and 'usted' with everybody else.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 08:41:35 AM »

Offline crashfirepm53

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 05:33:40 PM »
Anyone try the Rosetta jones program yet?

Offline Ray

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 01:24:42 PM »
Anyone try the Rosetta jones program yet?

No, but I watched her brother's movies... Indiana Jones

Does that count?

:D

Offline EbonyPrince

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 06:32:09 PM »
http://www.learnspanishtoday.com/

Another good reference to get started.  Not very expensive with good content.

Offline bp

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 03:29:36 PM »
Someone probably recommended Pimslur already, but just in case, I'll throw it out there. I have a friend who used it for learning Russian and she was happy with it. She's currently doing their programs for Arabic and German.

Also, if you have a friend who is fluent in Spanish, that can be a big help. That's how I'm brushing up. I used to be fluent, but haven't spoken it in ten years. I got my hands on an old text book and she and I are zipping through a chapter about every week. By mid/end-Spring, I should be pretty much up to snuff.

Lastly, I don't mean to jack your thread, but I have a question about pronunciation for anyone who actually is fluent, and it's kind of the same topic. I know that there are regionalisms with the pronunciation of certain letters. In Colombia, how do they pronounce the "ll"? Is it more with a "j" sound or "y" sound? My first time around, I learned PR Spanish, I figure this time I'd aim to learn Colombian-style. :)

Offline soltero

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 04:02:41 PM »
Someone probably recommended Pimslur already, but just in case, I'll throw it out there. I have a friend who used it for learning Russian and she was happy with it. She's currently doing their programs for Arabic and German.

Also, if you have a friend who is fluent in Spanish, that can be a big help. That's how I'm brushing up. I used to be fluent, but haven't spoken it in ten years. I got my hands on an old text book and she and I are zipping through a chapter about every week. By mid/end-Spring, I should be pretty much up to snuff.

Lastly, I don't mean to jack your thread, but I have a question about pronunciation for anyone who actually is fluent, and it's kind of the same topic. I know that there are regionalisms with the pronunciation of certain letters. In Colombia, how do they pronounce the "ll"? Is it more with a "j" sound or "y" sound? My first time around, I learned PR Spanish, I figure this time I'd aim to learn Colombian-style. :)

The finicky speakers pronounce "ll" more like a "zh" ....
Live as if you will die tomorrow, Plan as if you will live forever...

Offline josh

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 06:21:50 PM »
I highly recommend Pimsluer as others have mentioned. The good thing about Pimsluer is that it is designed by memory expert and hence it is structured in such as way that it's easy to learn/memorize it. I would also recommed taking a instructor lead course from a community college (very inexpensive) or equivalent to bridge any gaps. This combination is really working for me already in couple of months.

Good luck!

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 06:17:35 AM »
I'm VERY impressed with the Rosetta Stone system. It's a totally new paradigm and utilizes the computer like no other system. I haven't used it for Spanish, but it works far better than Pimsular for me.

- Jeff

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 08:05:06 AM »
Hey BP,

Don't worry about jacking the thread... Jack it all you want...
I think it is great for everybody to have input and exchange ideas...

Thanks for your input..

Josh,

I like it Pimsluer also....

Jeff,

I will have to check Rosetta out !! Thanks

singlefather

Offline chizz

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 08:22:05 AM »
I've done pimsleur I,II,III, and it worth every penny. Didn't need a translator after doing this program. You won't be fluent(obviously) but you will be more than able to carry a conversation with you latina after this program.
chizz

Offline bp

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 09:07:32 AM »
The finicky speakers pronounce "ll" more like a "zh" ....

Thanks, soltero. I would have kept pronouncing it with the "y" sound if nobody corrected me. :)

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 09:07:32 AM »

Offline moneyrone

• Simply The Truth
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 06:54:22 AM »
I'm VERY impressed with the Rosetta Stone system. It's a totally new paradigm and utilizes the computer like no other system. I haven't used it for Spanish, but it works far better than Pimsular for me.

- Jeff

Jeff, what is about the Rosetta Stone program you like? I'm debating on whether to take a online class at a local college, or purchasing spanish speaking software. Can you tell me in your opinion what are the pros and cons of both. thanks in adance!

Peace By Nature, Joy By Choice.

Offline chizz

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 08:18:01 AM »
I liked the rosetta programs also, but my problem was I didn't have the time to sit down and focus on a computer for an hour or so. Obviously, learning from an instructor in a class is the best way to learn, but like I said, I didn't have the time to dedicate to that either. That's why I liked the pimsleur programs so much, because in the morning just stick in the cd, and learn on your way to work, and on your way back home. I have a busy schedule so pimsleur worked out perfect for me, and it was enough for what i wanted to do in colombia, which was one-on-one time with me and a latina w/o a translator.
chizz

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864