It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Greetings \o/  (Read 16383 times)

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Greetings \o/
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 07:12:42 PM »
Ken,

It does sound like you are on a very tight budget, but there are a lot of ways to cut your expenses.

When you are searching for hotels, also check out Pension Houses, Tourist Inns, and Backpackers accommodations. If you can get by without air-conditioning, you can save a bunch sometimes.

When booking rooms in advance, only book 1 or 2 days max. Then you can look around for better deals. Often, the best deals on rooms are walk-in rates, where you may be able to negotiate.

You said you are interested in Dumaguete (that’s Negros Oriental) and Cebu areas? I would just skip Manila on your first trip if possible. Most international arrivals in Manila don’t make good connections with domestic flights.

Try flights into Cebu (Mactan) instead. For example, if you get to Hong Kong, Cathay Pacific has direct flights to Cebu. I think there are some from Japan also(?).

Also, you might want to investigate Courier Air Fares to see if that would work for you. It’s a long shot, but can potentially save you a bundle.

Don’t give up, but start some advance communications NOW!

Ray

Offline kennumen

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »
... Wow, sorry for that wall of text guys (and gals) but I got it all in :)

It is all about eating what is available & letting nothing go to waste. You will find that in all corners of the world (assuming that it is flat). :P

Oh don't get me wrong, I highly approve of this practice and attitude. I'm just not convinced I want to personally see it in action, let alone be part of it. That said I don't get queasy easily - I'm rather strict about what goes into my mouth but I'll be fine around people who aren't so picky. For reference, I've spent a hours in [the beginning area of] a slaughterhouse a few times and went to eat right after no problems.

I have to admit I ate a lot of "strange" food before I ever set foot in Asia. You can get dish with chicken feet, chicken embryos, frogs and the likes in restaurants here in NYC. It is not a Filipino thing - it is an Asian thing. 

Oh it's not just an asian thing. The French make an art form out of eating frogs and snails. When you think about it, mushrooms are a form of mold. I'm not judging - it goes in and out just fine. I'm just not that adventurous about food.

I was too worried about the Filipino dishes (what I used to eat here in NYC was "limited") but after going there and trying the different dishes - well I found that some of the food was quite masarap.  There are some dishes that I disliked and will not eat again as well as one that I cannot bring myself to eat (balut).

Also lechon is roast pig so if pork is not your thing then skip it.

I like [most parts of the] pig fine. I did hear it was rather fatty though, and I'm trying to eat more healthy. I'm not sure what cooking it as a whole does to the taste (whole being intestines (and their contents), organs, eyes and all) but I doubt I'd let it sit untouched. Bound to be a sign of wanting to be part of the group, as well.

That is more myth than fact. In my 2 years of marriage to a Filipina, I haven't experience it.

Really, now that is a surprise. Clearly I have no personal experience but virtually every reference I've read about Filipinas includes a mention of them [in all likelihood] expecting them to send money home. If this is a myth it's so widespread as I was all but convinced. Any chance you're an exception to the rule? Or am I so far off with that presumption?

I would not say that Makati is a "seedy" city. Makati is the financial capital of The Philippines and one of the "nicer" area of Manila.
I re-read that statement (from a single source) and it indeed does not mention Makati is a seedy city, merely that the seedy bars are amply present and of high quality. Anyway I'd avoid Luzon (the Manila/main island) altogether which I'll try to explain below, responding to Ray.

Also while in the Philippines, if time permitting, you can do a side trip to one of the other places on your list. The airfare from the PI to these places are cheap.
True, the airfare is cheap. I'm not sure if 2 weeks is long enough to split it amongst several islands, or that you can really plan these things. I intend to research two or three islands relatively near each other (or near stops I have to make anyway), have a loosely defined plan (or two) up-front, and be ready to ditch the plan entirely once boots are on ground. It's too early to plan at this point (too many unknown variables) but it's not too early to learn :)

Dude, your budget is so small, you should really give serious consideration to looking closer to home like in Eastern Europe. I'm not sure that you can really afford these Asian trips.
I value your comment; Wish there was more argument than statement. You mention trips plural so I'll assume you mean long-term. Well, short-term I'm fine. My current budget reserve for a single trip is 2500 euros. I could tap into my emergency funds if things go south or even way south. Long term is also fine. Once the house is built there should be ample funds for two trips a year. Mid-term is indeed of concern (as is obvious from my previous posts) and I'm considering several solutions, none of which include moving my desired destination.

I did of course consider Eastern Europe. The women are beautiful and oft intelligent. Once I took an honest look at myself I realised I don't care about their history and care little about their culture. That pretty much ended the argument [with myself] as to whether it was an eligible area for me to look into. Frankly I'd rather save up and postpone than go to Eastern Europe. Thanks for the thought though, could have been a good fix.

Ken,

It does sound like you are on a very tight budget, but there are a lot of ways to cut your expenses.

When you are searching for hotels, also check out Pension Houses, Tourist Inns, and Backpackers accommodations. If you can get by without air-conditioning, you can save a bunch sometimes.

When booking rooms in advance, only book 1 or 2 days max. Then you can look around for better deals. Often, the best deals on rooms are walk-in rates, where you may be able to negotiate.

Some great advice on lodging, thanks. I think I can manage two weeks without air-conditioning - hell, I'll be escaping November winter (yes, November is technically fall, but it can still be pretty cold here). Could probably even get by without warm water (although, 25-30C, at 2-3 in the afternoon, water's bound to be pretty warm anyway). I think a critter-free room with electricity is a minimum though. I'll be on the lookout for good deals with the luxury of being able to spend a bit more for what I want.

You said you are interested in Dumaguete (that’s Negros Oriental) and Cebu areas? I would just skip Manila on your first trip if possible. Most international arrivals in Manila don’t make good connections with domestic flights.

Try flights into Cebu (Mactan) instead. For example, if you get to Hong Kong, Cathay Pacific has direct flights to Cebu. I think there are some from Japan also(?).

Also, you might want to investigate Courier Air Fares to see if that would work for you. It’s a long shot, but can potentially save you a bundle.

I plan on skipping Luzon altogether. Makes sense to fly straight to Cebu, not necessarily the cheapest option but certainly more economical time-wise. The cheapest flights from here to Cebu (under 28 hours) are 850 euro from Amsterdam (1 stopper too, Cathay Pacific), 900 euro from Brussels, 1000 euro from Paris. Of course amsterdam means a 6 hour train ride (including transfers) but it's good savings and (more importantly) the only cheap 1 stop flight in sight (I used skyscanner for this comparison).

Air courier is an interesting concept I hadn't considered. The rewards are reasonable, but the destination is inflexible, layovers would be long, the inconvenience would not be insignificant and there is a (admittedly small) risk you may be carrying contraband. I really do appreciate the suggestion but I don't think it's for me.

Don’t give up, but start some advance communications NOW!

Ray

Lol, thanks for the encouragement. There are just two things I'm waiting for: mid-july, after my LAN party (over half a week of my PC being surrounded by 2 teenagers and 2 parents - 0 privacy and little time to boot). Second, I want to be doubly sure of my determination before I involve another human being in such potentially life-changing matters.

One additional question - is there any trick to meeting province women?

Offline Ray

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »
OK Ken, some more info…

When they roast a whole pig, most all of the organs are removed to be used in other dishes. It just looks like it is all there when it’s plopped on the table. For example, the blood is reserved usually for a popular dish called dinuguan, sometimes referred to as "chocolate meat" to fool the little kiddies into eating it.

Not all Filipinas send money home to their families. However, you are correct that it is more the norm than the exception. I would expect it, even plan for it, so you aren’t caught off guard if/when it comes up.

There are smart ways to send money home and dumb ways. IMO, the dumb way is to start sending a monthly amount. That essentially makes them your dependent, because they may very well plan their life around that monthly ‘allowance’. If times get tough, like they are now, then you may not be able to make that monthly payment and everyone suffers.

My advice is to put away some money in a separate joint account when you have extra. Then send some money randomly without any promises in advance. That will help them when they need it most, but not make them dependent on that monthly ‘check’. You can send gifts or cash for the holidays out of that savings fund, use it as an emergency fund for the folks back home (typhoon/flood/serious illness, etc?) or save it up for the wife’s occasional vacation trips home if it isn’t spent for emergencies.

I have found the food in general to be more healthy down south (Visayas, Mindanao) than in Luzon. Up north, they like to fry a lot of stuff in oil, while down south they tend more to steam, boil, stew, or grill seafood and meats.

Even though domestic flights are relatively inexpensive, I usually prefer the inter-island ferries if they aren’t overnight trips. It’s a cheaper way to travel and much more scenic too. It works well for traveling between nearby islands.

The best way to meet nice barrio ladies is through personal introductions. Once you befriend a Filipino, you are very likely to get a bunch of matchmaking suggestions/introductions for eligible and willing young relatives back home. It has worked very well for many of us.

Ray

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
Really, now that is a surprise. Clearly I have no personal experience but virtually every reference I've read about Filipinas includes a mention of them [in all likelihood] expecting them to send money home. If this is a myth it's so widespread as I was all but convinced. Any chance you're an exception to the rule? Or am I so far off with that presumption?
No, you are not far off the presumption, I should have phrase my answer better.

My answer was in response to she’ll expect you to send a good chunk of money home each month (meaning you sending money back home every month & not her). In my views there is a difference between you & her sending money back home. If (when) she works she will want to/will send money home and if you are to help then the best way to do it is “periodically” as Ray explained.

As for us, we only sent money back for birthday parties – the 2 youngest nieces & youngest nephew and to my wife’s mom for/on her birthday.  But will send money back in case of  “emergencies” and the likes.

Everything else we sent were “goods” via Balikbayan Boxes (BB) or air cargo.  Last October we sent a few BB filled with gifts and they were delivered about a week before Christmas. This year I wanted to do a mid year & a X-mas shipment but my wife told me no, lets just send one big shipment for X-mas.

So late September/early October, we will be sending between 5-7 boxes (maybe more depending on how we pack,  the weight & what we want to include).

I just came back from Victoria’s Secret a few minutes ago and got a bunch of beauty product @75% off. I also got stuff from The Body Shop – buy 3 & get 3 free (that promotion is also currently running). This x-mas they will be getting a lot of beauty products again.   :)

My situation with my wife is a little different from the stuff you read about.
My wife is in her early 30’s and is the youngest sibling in her family. She was not the bread earner of the family and has no younger siblings to put through school (other than her own when the time comes). All her sisters/brothers (or their spouse) are working as well as the nieces & nephews that have graduated from college. 

As to this statement from Ray,
“The best way to meet nice barrio ladies is through personal introductions.”
  I will second that statement and I will even go further and say (in my case) I also gain a “network”.  Since my marriage I have gotten to “know’ a lot of Filipinos (both mail & female) – much more than I ever imagined.
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline Ray

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 03:31:42 PM »

This year I wanted to do a mid year & a X-mas shipment but my wife told me no, lets just send one big shipment for X-mas.

So late September/early October, we will be sending between 5-7 boxes (maybe more depending on how we pack, the weight & what we want to include).

5-7 boxes? Holy Krap kfc! Even Filipinos rarely send that much junk. LOL!

I was just in the LBC store the other day to pick up some empty boxes. Of course I was the only non-Filipino there and while I was waiting in line, I noticed that every one of the 6-7 Filipinos ahead of me bought 2 boxes. We are packing 2 boxes now.

You should really consider sending your shipments during the off-season because most shippers deeply discount their rates after the pre-Christmas rush. Right now LBC is charging $65/box to Mindanao, which is a very good deal. Some shippers give you an even better rate if you ship 3 or more at a time. You could always mark them "Don’t Open ‘til Christmas!"…  ;D

Just a side note: The weight for balikbayan boxes is irrelevant. As long as the bottom doesn't fall out when they pick it up, you're good to go...

One popular traditional item that almost everyone here sends in their boxes is Libby's Corned Beef in the can. But now that the price for a 24-can case is around a hundred dollars, that item is off the list for most all Filipinos I know.

We're sending much less chocolate and sweets again this year, while including some more healthy snack foods so the little kiddies' teeth don't rot out so quickly.

School supplies are also a good bet when they go on sale later in the year. We're also sending Victoria's Secret stuff.   :D

Ray

Offline braziliangirl

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »
I wish there were balikbayan boxes to Brazil. Some things there cost 10% of the price here. :(
Can you send liquid in those boxes? Like lotions and shampoos?

Offline thekfc

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 05:56:17 PM »
Yep we have a lot as I have been "collecting".  ;D

Don't open 'til Christmas!....I don't think they know what that is.  ::)

I think prices are the same for us year round LBC $55 from NYC to Metro Manila via LBC and $59 via Johnny Air. We use LBC for air cargo - $20 for up to 6 lbs & $3.50/lb above that weight. With LBC we do get a deal after every 5th box.

Yep, those Libby's Corn Beef are expensive. We bought a few cans of Spam (all the flavors) and got them for less than $2/can - sale & coupon.

This year we we want to mix it up a little and include stuff like different types of pasta (variety & shape).

Last year we included a lot of school supplies ( & bags) & will do the same this years. We hit Staples when they have the back to school sales, they always have certain supplies like pens, pencils, glue binders, etc for  a penny or 10 cents or 25 cents but you have to spend a certain amount to get that price usually $5 or $10.

I know the weight is irrelevant but I figured if I cannot lift it then they will have trouble lifting it too.

Can you send liquid in those boxes? Like lotions and shampoos?
Yep, lotion, shampoo & other liquid are shipped in the BB. We tape the top of the bottles and then put them in ziploc/zipper bags to protect the contents should there be a spill or breakage.

Offline thekfc

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »

I have found the food in general to be more healthy down south (Visayas, Mindanao) than in Luzon. Up north, they like to fry a lot of stuff in oil, while down south they tend more to steam, boil, stew, or grill seafood and meats.
My wife do boil and steam a lot and try to include veggies with every meal. Her frying, it is way too oily.  I told her that oily food wasn't good for us and showed her how to "shake & bake" chicken & she have been doing that and like it.
She still fry but now she let the oil completely drain from the fried food.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:35:16 PM by thekfc »

Offline Ray

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 08:33:29 PM »
My wife do boil and steam a lot and try to include veggies with every meal. Her frying, it is way too oily.  I told her that oily food wasn't good for us and showed her how to "shake & bake" chicken & she have been doing that and like it.
She still fry but now she let the oil completely drain from the fried food.

Some foods need to be fried, like escabeche or dried squid for example, but you can at least get her to use more healthy vegetable oils, like canola, soybean, peanut, or olive oil.

Ray

Offline thekfc

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
Some foods need to be fried, like escabeche or dried squid for example, but you can at least get her to use more healthy vegetable oils, like canola, soybean, peanut, or olive oil.

Ray
We do use healthy oil.
We currently have the following oils at home - canola, peanut, olive, sunflower, lemon, mustard & rice bran oil. Olive, canola & rice bran oils are our top choice for frying.

I stopped using corn & "regular" vegetable oils a long time ago. The problem wasn't the oil itself but the fact that she would fry on low heat (I prefer frying at medium heat) and she sometimes used to leave the fried food sitting in the oily frying pan after frying.  She have since stopped doing that.  ;)

Offline Ray

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »

That cooking oil they use in the Philippines (Baguio Oil)... I think it comes from reclaimed Jeepney motor oil (?)

That stuff will clog your arteries in a second!  :o

Ray

Offline thekfc

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2012, 07:58:10 AM »
Baguio Oil = coconut oil = highly saturated.   :-X

Offline thekfc

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 09:35:57 AM »
Oh don't get me wrong, I highly approve of this practice and attitude. I'm just not convinced I want to personally see it in action, let alone be part of it. That said I don't get queasy easily - I'm rather strict about what goes into my mouth but I'll be fine around people who aren't so picky. For reference, I've spent a hours in [the beginning area of] a slaughterhouse a few times and went to eat right after no problems.
Trying out the food is half the fun.  :P

I will try just about everything but there are 2 things that I refuse to eat - balut & durian fruit.
There is also patis.  I will eat food made with patis (like Pad Thai & Tom Yum) but I will not eat it the way my wife does - as a dipping sauce.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 09:35:57 AM »

Offline kennumen

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »
There are smart ways to send money home and dumb ways. IMO, the dumb way is to start sending a monthly amount. That essentially makes them your dependent, because they may very well plan their life around that monthly ‘allowance’. If times get tough, like they are now, then you may not be able to make that monthly payment and everyone suffers.

My advice is to put away some money in a separate joint account when you have extra. Then send some money randomly without any promises in advance. That will help them when they need it most, but not make them dependent on that monthly ‘check’. You can send gifts or cash for the holidays out of that savings fund, use it as an emergency fund for the folks back home (typhoon/flood/serious illness, etc?) or save it up for the wife’s occasional vacation trips home if it isn’t spent for emergencies.
My answer was in response to she’ll expect you to send a good chunk of money home each month (meaning you sending money back home every month & not her). In my views there is a difference between you & her sending money back home. If (when) she works she will want to/will send money home and if you are to help then the best way to do it is “periodically” as Ray explained.
Hah, points of view :) For some reason I was stuck on an "our money" mentality. Anyway, my current idea was indeed not to send money monthly, but to do so yearly. A recent study shows that a yearly budget is a lot less likely to be wrong (as in, not enough money). Still, I like the idea of randomly at (I dunno,) 6-12 months more. Like you said, the last thing you want is dependency. And keeping some here as a seperate emergency fund. Good stuff.

We're sending much less chocolate and sweets again this year
Whaaat? Chocolate by snail mail to a tropic climate? Whenever we bring chocolates we keep them in the carryon - airconned airport, airconned plane, barely any time to melt. Okay, it's not that likely to go bad (at least dark chocolate isn't), but have you tried this chocolate after it's been through its trip? :)

Trying out the food is half the fun.  :P
I tend to be pretty picky about what I eat. Still, I am a curious person in general and if nothing else I might eat it out of politeness.

Even though domestic flights are relatively inexpensive, I usually prefer the inter-island ferries if they aren’t overnight trips. It’s a cheaper way to travel and much more scenic too. It works well for traveling between nearby islands.

Time permitting, ferries would be my preferred choice as well.

The best way to meet nice barrio ladies is through personal introductions. Once you befriend a Filipino, you are very likely to get a bunch of matchmaking suggestions/introductions for eligible and willing young relatives back home. It has worked very well for many of us.
*grumble* I do so love my tech... Ah well, sometimes there's no beating old school :)

One thing I'm worried about is being too much in vacation mode. I've read a few accounts where the relationship failed because once they got back home the man "was nothing like he was [while on vacation]". Did you guys try to cope with this or does this not apply [in general / to you]?

Offline braziliangirl

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 03:58:15 PM »
Yep, lotion, shampoo & other liquid are shipped in the BB. We tape the top of the bottles and then put them in ziploc/zipper bags to protect the contents should there be a spill or breakage.

Sorry to keep being off-topic on this thread, but I'm curious... So, it's not something you send by mail. There are specific companies that send those boxes, right?

There's no way you can send liquid or food from US to Brazil and vice-versa by mail. :(

Offline seattlejoe

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »

Sorry to keep being off-topic on this thread, but I'm curious... So, it's not something you send by mail. There are specific companies that send those boxes, right?

There's no way you can send liquid or food from US to Brazil and vice-versa by mail. :(
  b&b  is a package box that forwarded through a freight forwarding company. either air or ocean travel box.
to the Philippines

Offline thekfc

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »
A balikbayan box is a package filled with goods that family members overseas send back to their families back in the Philippines.

It is sent by either air or sea cargo via a freight forwarder.

You can put whatever you want in the box as long as it isn't illegal/prohibited goods (fire arms, drugs, etc,).

It is customs/duties tax-free but there are some items that are taxed - mainly electronics. The tax is paid at the sending site by the sender. There are people who shipped electronics without declaring it.

The sending party writes on the bill of lading what is included in each box but not everyone writes the entire content on the BOL.  It is wise to give the receiving party an inventory of each box to verify that nothing is taken/stolen.

Sea cargo boxes are normally not opened however, some packages are randomly picked by customs for inspection.  All air cargo packages are open for inspection at the dropped off site.

I have no idea what will happen if a package is open and there are taxable items that are not declared on the BOL. I haven't read about or encounter that problem. I have paid taxes on all electronic items that I shipped.
Maybe Ray can give some insight.

It is normally a door-to-door service. The company came pick up at your home (or you can drop off at their location) and they will deliver to your recipient home.

For air cargo - they charge by weight. It is normally delivered between 1-2 weeks depending on delivery location. For my receiving location in Taguig, it is normally delivered within a week.

Sea cargo - they charge by the box so there is no weight restrictions and you can fill it to the max. It usually takes 30-45 days depending on location. Christmas season takes longer due to the huge volume of boxes being shipped.

The balikbayan boxes comes in different sizes but the most common shipped size is 18 x 18 x 24 inches and cost between $55-$75 - depending on destination. You can also use other size boxes -  rates will be different for them.

Offline braziliangirl

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2012, 08:46:44 PM »
Thanks, Seattle and KFC!

I really wish there were such service to Brasil.

Can those boxes be sent from the Philippines to the USA as well?

Offline Ray

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 02:22:17 AM »
Thanks, Seattle and KFC!

I really wish there were such service to Brasil.

Can those boxes be sent from the Philippines to the USA as well?

No, those are one-way only.

I did find a freight forwarding company a few years back that would ship those boxes from the Philippines to the USA, but it was expensive.

There was a 10-box minimum, a pallet loading charge, customs clearance charge, and you had to make your own arrangements to have the shipment cleared through US customs at the port of entry, meaning hiring a customs broker. Then you have to make arrangements with the broker or a shipper to diliver the shipment to your home from the POE.

Ray

Offline thekfc

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »
BG, I have only found 1 company (johnny Air) that do the sea cargo from the Philippines to the USA, and very few that do the air cargo. And as Ray said it is very expensive (examples below).

Balikbayan Box (via Johnny Air):
From NYC to Metro Manila - $59 per box.
From Metro Manila to NYC - $165 per box.
From Metro Manila to NYC (with a 2-3 hours drive & 70 lbs max) - $235 per box.

Air Cargo (LBC - 6lb pouch / 7 square inch package):
NYC to Metro Manila - $20
Metro Manila to NYC - $83

Not sure about the custom/duties fees from the PI to the US as I (we) have only done envelopes that route and used FEDEX.

Offline braziliangirl

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 01:55:45 PM »
Thanks for the info!  ;)

Offline kennumen

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 08:58:02 AM »
Briefly looking into it, found a Belgian site. Seems quite a bit more expensive but then this is Belgium...  :-\

6) Chocolate can be in the boxes but pack them separately, the heat can melt chocolate on the road if not properly protected. A good tip is to pack them individually in Styrofoam with tape around it or just newspaper is also a good protection.
Leave it to a Belgian to specifically advise on chocolate.

Might be informative in general: link.

Offline thekfc

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »
If you are shipping chocolate in a BB & they not properly packed,  then include straws & spoons - they may have to use them to eat the chocolate.   :P

It gets extremely hot inside those boxes - remember the boxes are packed inside a stainless steel container with plenty of other boxes.

In the first BB I sent I included some candles in a jar. When they arrived (about 30 days later) they were almost melted (they were soft).

I always include the chocolate with the air packages. But last summer I got some mylar bubble wrap for free, so I decided to give try it out. I also purchased 50 1-gallon mylar pouches on Amazon for about $20 (to be on the safe side).

This is how I packed the chocolate & they arrived in good condition (hope it will help someone).

I put the chocolate in the refrigerator for a few days.
I insulate the BB box with the wrap.
I insulate a smaller box (that is the box I put the chocolate in).
Place the chocolate inside the pouch & sealed it.
Put the pouches inside the smaller box & seal the box.
Placed the smaller box in the bigger box with all the other goods.
Then put packing peanuts in the box (I always put packing peanuts even if there is nothing breakable inside the boxes) and seal the box.

I didn't use any ice or cold packs.

The chocolate were assorted (Gharardelli, Hershey's, etc) & the bags range from 26 oz to 56 oz.  They fitted just fine inside the pouch.

For air cargo, I put the chocolate in the fridge first and then put them in the pouch or wrap them in parchment paper. I do not insulate the box but I do seal the edges & include packing peanuts.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats