It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Racism in Colombia  (Read 10075 times)

Offline bernard

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Racism in Colombia
« on: December 18, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »
In a thread a few months ago I was given some flack by some when I stated that racism is very prevalent in Colombia, especially Bogota, and that blacks are commonly referred to as "negros" in Colombia, to which many here denied.

Here is an article that tells the story of some taxistas in Bogota banding together to not allow "negros" to board their taxis.

http://m.pulzo.com/bogota/260661-denuncian-posible-pacto-de-unos-taxistas-en-bogota-para-no-transportar-negros

Any thoughts?

Offline mambocowboy

• Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Racism in Colombia
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
In a thread a few months ago I was given some flack by some when I stated that racism is very prevalent in Colombia, especially Bogota, and that blacks are commonly referred to as "negros" in Colombia, to which many here denied.

Here is an article that tells the story of some taxistas in Bogota banding together to not allow "negros" to board their taxis.

http://m.pulzo.com/bogota/260661-denuncian-posible-pacto-de-unos-taxistas-en-bogota-para-no-transportar-negros

Any thoughts?
I can believe it. My wife who is black was surprised when she first came to the States and saw black people commentating on TV programs on CNN and ESPN. My wife usually minimizes any problems her country has but my guess is Colombia is more racist than she will admit.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:07:33 PM »
In some places it's more open and obvious than others, but I think racism is an ugly problem just about everywhere. People just seem to have an urge to piss on each other for some reason/s, and not just between clearly different skin tones, religions etc.,  but even amongst their own kinds,  looking for differences to criticize.

Maybe it makes them feel superior,  I don't know. I used to think that if we just imagined that 'Everybody is purple'  that'd be better, but I think we actually need to recognize differences that exist among us and try to be more OK with them.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:07:33 PM »

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:25:16 PM »

Any thoughts?

Well the term NEGRO is very common in Cali..... just never made a connection between its use and racism.

Offline michaelb

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:26:49 PM »
I remember walking with my wife (before we got married) in Cali and we were walking past a group of street vendors, mostly selling food. She said something like "Oh look, those are good, why don't we get some?" I said OK, so she walked up to one of the vendors and said to her "Oye, negrita, una bolsita de estos, por favor." I cringed,  I was so shocked, first that my wife talked to her like that, but even more so that the vendor didn't take offense (she acted as if she had been addressed "Hey, lady", not what I heard, which was "Hey, N.....").  After we had the food and were out of the vendors' hearing, I said "You shouldn't talk to people like that." and her response was "Like what?"

edit, adding this thought: Since then, I've figured out "I guess that's just the way they talk down there" and my wife understands that is NOT the way to talk to people in the U.S.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:33:23 PM by michaelb »

Offline bernard

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 03:54:22 AM »
Well the term NEGRO is very common in Cali..... just never made a connection between its use and racism.

I've never stated that the word "negro" or "negra" is used in a racist way.  In the earlier discussions I was referring to, there were some charlatans here on this forum who INSISTED that the word negro is hardly ever used to refer to black men or women  but the term "moreno" or "morena" is more commonly used,  which of course is not the case.

Some of the same charlatans also insisted that blatant racism is not the norm in Colombia.  Of course, these charlatans have failed to comment on this thread.

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 06:41:51 AM »

Offline bernard

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »
H

Why do you care Ray...from what I've read of your posts you are married to an asian lady, and haven't even set foot in Colombia.  A simple solution would be not to visit the latin forum, since you really have nothing to add.  What might not be interesting to you here,can be intersesting to those that travel to Colombia, and/or are married to Colombianas, and have a sincere interest in the Colombian culture.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 08:52:31 AM »

I've never stated that the word "negro" or "negra" is used in a racist way.  In the earlier discussions I was referring to, there were some charlatans here on this forum who INSISTED that the word negro is hardly ever used to refer to black men or women  but the term "moreno" or "morena" is more commonly used,  which of course is not the case.

Some of the same charlatans also insisted that blatant racism is not the norm in Colombia.  Of course, these charlatans have failed to comment on this thread.

In the previous thread you're referring to I admitted to experiencing racism in Colombia on numerous occasions. Here's what I wrote in one post:

Bernard,Do an advanced search from my profile for my posts, referencing the word "racism." I've talked about being rejected for being black in Colombia so much on this board it doesn't make sense for me to continue to mention it.....

With respect to the use to "Negro/a" and "Negrito/a," I conceded that the word was used...that just wasn't my experience. See below:

And I'm not saying what you are saying about the term "negro" isn't true. It's just isn't my experience in Colombia...

I'm beginning to think that might have something to do with the color of my skin and the color of yours. If you're a darker black person...like the color of chocolate or darker, people probably do refer to you as negro or negrito. Someone like me, that's the color or peanut butter during a really hot summer where I'm spending a lot of time outside, is more often referred to as moreno. But hey, what do I know.

Offline bernard

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 11:26:02 AM »

I'm beginning to think that might have something to do with the color of my skin and the color of yours. If you're a darker black person...like the color of chocolate or darker, people probably do refer to you as negro or negrito. Someone like me, that's the color or peanut butter during a really hot summer where I'm spending a lot of time outside, is more often referred to as moreno. But hey, what do I know.

I'm so dark that I usually walk around with a couple of jugs of milk at night so that people can see me.

Offline benjio

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »

I'm so dark that I usually walk around with a couple of jugs of milk at night so that people can see me.

That might explain it then....who the hell knows. We're talking about Colombians here.  ;D

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 08:55:24 AM »
My ex-novia de Medellin called her 10 years old niece "negrita".   Does it mean she is racist ???

Luis Suarez, the Uruguayan Day Footballer's grandmother always call her husband 'Mi negro'.   Luis was banned for 8 months for calling ManUre player, Evra "negro"

Offline buencamino

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 08:58:34 AM »
   There was an article in El Pais about a group of rascist taxi drivers in Bogotá who go out of their way to avoid Black fares. When a reporter interviewed one of them and asked why he said "because they stink. After I have one in my taxi I have to go get it cleaned before I can pick up another fare". I've dated a lot of Black girls who didn't stink but they sure are catty towards other Black girls. When I told the last one I went out with that I'd met the one and so far only Black Colombian beauty queen Vanessa Mendoza once in Capurganá her comment was "ella tiene más frente que las FARC". Ha ha I thought that was funny. http://www.elpais.com.co/elpais/colombia/noticias/taxista-bogota-dice-presta-servicio-afrodescendientes

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 08:58:34 AM »

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 02:02:23 PM »
In texas we don't have that problem because all the taxi drivers ARE black, africans mainly nigerians.

Hey bernard have you ever hung out by the parque berrio metro stop on a friday evening?  It's like a big street party out there, mostly all black people.  You can meet some very nice chicas there if you're not aprehensive about being in that environment.

Right now I'm trying to get some people together to go with me to our local version of feria de cali.  I'm hoping to bump into this chick from buenaventura I briefly dated a few years ago.  A super hot negrita damn I miss that girl.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 02:50:59 PM »
My ex-novia de Medellin called her 10 years old niece "negrita".   Does it mean she is racist ???

Luis Suarez, the Uruguayan Day Footballer's grandmother always call her husband 'Mi negro'.   Luis was banned for 8 months for calling ManUre player, Evra "negro"

My stepdaughter is much darker than her two brothers who have been mistaken for being my biological kids. In the summer when she is really dark, my wife calls her "negrita". I think her skin is beautiful though.

Offline Ray

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »

A simple solution would be not to visit the latin forum...

Sorry Bernard, but I'm not going anywhere. Perhaps it is YOU who should go away.

So you have been stewing for several months over something an another member said to you, and now you have to bring it up again because you can't sleep at night? Really?

I can't turn on the TV or open the paper these days without listening some race-baiter trying to stir up animosity between the races. That includes our self-proclaimed emperor in the white house and his lap dogs on CNN and MSNBC. I guess they got what they wanted because a couple of NYPD officers were ambushed and murdered by some hateful whacko today.

I don't know about the other good people on this forum, but I am sick and tired of the whiny-assed race baiters constantly stirring up trouble and I think it would be a great idea to drop the race issue for a while until cooler heads can prevail.

Ray

Offline bernard

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 06:23:49 PM »
Sorry Bernard, but I'm not going anywhere. Perhaps it is YOU who should go away.

I don't know about the other good people on this forum, but I am sick and tired of the whiny-assed race baiters constantly stirring up trouble and I think it would be a great idea to drop the race issue for a while until cooler heads can prevail.

Ray

Sorry Ray, but I'm not going anywhere...by reviewing the history of your posts you don't add much to this forum, except for wise-ass comments and childish cartoons.  No one forces you to click on the threads in this forum, especially one that reads "racism in COLOMBIA", but you are such an old busy body you can't help yourself.
So do us all a favor, keep your nose out of the latin forum, since there is nothing of merit that you can offer here (unlesss it is visa advice which is the only valid advice you are capable of offering) and save your cartoons for your great-grandchildren.

So, is it pinnocle or eukre at the old folks home tonight?

Offline bernard

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 06:36:51 PM »
In texas we don't have that problem because all the taxi drivers ARE black, africans mainly nigerians.

Hey bernard have you ever hung out by the parque berrio metro stop on a friday evening?  It's like a big street party out there, mostly all black people.  You can meet some very nice chicas there if you're not aprehensive about being in that environment.

Right now I'm trying to get some people together to go with me to our local version of feria de cali.  I'm hoping to bump into this chick from buenaventura I briefly dated a few years ago.  A super hot negrita damn I miss that girl.

That's cool that Houston has a "Feria de Cali"...if i lived there I'd definitely go.  I've attended the Feria de Cali at least 12 times over the years and always had a blast.

Never been to the parque barrio metro stop, but I would certainly feel comfortable there (Ray sure wouldn't).   I definitely have a weakness for BLACK Colombianas.  They are easy to find in the South of Cali, in Unicentro, Jardin Plaza....they are so easy to approach and very open and sexi.

Is it OK to talk about BLACK Colombian chicks here?   Don't want to break any forum rules.  Maybe Ray can chime in on this.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 06:46:47 PM »

I think it would be a great idea to drop the race issue for a while until cooler heads can prevail.

Ray

Like yours?   ::)

Offline Fuzzyone

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 07:53:09 AM »

Well Benard you can put your hands down now ... I know it is your life mission to prove there is racist in Colombia but really who cares? My wife use to call the local girl that came to her house [snip]ta so? Does that make her a racist? She loves Obama I cannot stand him does that make me a racist? Why don't you move on and find something real bad to cry about like why the milk you bought was sour!

Offline bernard

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 08:06:59 AM »

Well Benard you can put your hands down now ... I know it is your life mission to prove there is racist in Colombia but really who cares? My wife use to call the local girl that came to her house [snip]ta so? Does that make her a racist? She loves Obama I cannot stand him does that make me a racist? Why don't you move on and find something real bad to cry about like why the milk you bought was sour!

My life's mission?  LMAO...again, if you don't like the thread I created you don't have to click on it.  But you did, which means my post sparked your curiosity and what I post here is relevant to you.

Also, when you insult me on this thread you are also insulting the members who took the time to respond with intelligent and well thought out posts.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:13:28 AM by bernard »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
Well, getting back to the issue, it always amazes me when my wife will compliment a white woman's looks. I joke with her that a woman could have.  a  face like a horse, but if she has straight blond hair and ojos claros my wife thinks she is beautiful.

Offline benjio

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
Well, getting back to the issue, it always amazes me when my wife will compliment a white woman's looks. I joke with her that a woman could have.  a  face like a horse, but if she has straight blond hair and ojos claros my wife thinks she is beautiful.

Also my experience with most Colombians....which is why a man having those features gives him a huge advantage regardless of his other physical characteristcs.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »

Also my experience with most Colombians....which is why a man having those features gives him a huge advantage regardless of his other physical characteristcs.
Yes,  the irony is I benefitted from that bias...

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 01:04:51 PM »

Uncalled for IMHO. "life mission"--LOL. I don't see Bernard pissing and moaning, playing the race card or looking to fix himself a pity party. If you see it differently fine, but how you can judge what another person says, w/o having been there and then--not being in his or her shoes, is a different thing. Basically I  see him telling it how he sees it and has experienced it from his own real life experiences. Chances are that most people experience things like this (if they do experience it) in different ways. Nobody really knows what another person goes through or feels like.

Sure there's a lot of troubled black youth in the USA--real rough kids--but I think it sucks that pretty much any black male goes into a convenience store and they follow him around like he has a target on his back--like he's going to rip them off.

Never mind that my Grandparents came to America and were so poor coming off the boat that as they said: "We didn't have a pot to piss in--or a window to throw it out of" and that there were signs in the factory and store windows saying things like: "Help Wanted: NO Italians or Irish Need Apply". They sucked it up and though this was pre 'welfare' as we know it today, they had some paltry sort of public aid that they REFUSED, despite having 6 kids on one side of the family, 5 on the other being hungry, no heat in the winter and no jobs.

Personally, I feel that many minorities today in the USA often have a terrible case of feeling they are 'entitled' to govt aid and services, when they don't really put out much ( if any) efforts to work or get an education, a trade or otherwise better themselves. They sometimes really play the 'race card'. I want to throw up every time I hear or see Al Sharpton. Illegal immigrants who work and don't pay taxes and even more so when as they often do, get govt, aid, including expensive medical care, free food, education and more--that burns me up too. That said, although I can't say for sure, as I don't think there are accurate statistics, but I'd doubt if they commit crimes at a higher rate than do 'legal' USA citizens.

My wife is appalled to drive by public housing, seeing air conditioning, cable TV satellite dishes, and the people there, fat from junk food they bought using free food stamps, meanwhile sitting outside, drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes. She'll say to me: "Back home, if you don't work, you starve to death" -- "What--some of them even have cars too?--that's like being rich back home!"

Ironically, although I'm sure there's some racist snickering about her out there, the snickering she picks up on the most is how she works too hard, too fast, too efficiently and shows too much respect for her bosses and for following rules and procedure. They're also annoyed that she gets the  monetary award for Employee of the Quarter more than they do, or at least their stone faces and cool demeanor at the awards ceremonies seems to indicate.

When I was a kid living in the West Indies, I was the only white boy in my school and it sucked, especially at first. My nick name was "white cheese". After a while, I lost it and being bigger than the other kids, I picked up a couple of them, Frankenstein like and wailed the sh!t out of them, throwing them into desks and chairs for abusing me relentlessly. Never forget them saying: "He's a crazy!!". After that, about half feared me and about half became my friends, LOL.

But that's just one, unique situation and I couldn't imagine being a very dark complected black in any culture. I see lighter skinned blacks where we live, boasting that their skin is lighter than their own co-workers--even their own relatives!---Like that makes them a higher class person. Back in NYC, race relations were a lot different than in most places I've lived--we'd call each other different racial slurs in good humor to each other's faces (some slurs, not all) names I'd get sued for saying here--I remember calling real black dudes I was tight with : "Man--you sooo black you blue!"  and we'd fall out. Now I live in the south and that wouldn't fly.

If only we could embrace, or at least make more light of, each other's differences. For crying out loud--looking at just religion, Christianity, Judaism and Islam all came from Abraham and almost all the other religions have very similar 'codes of conduct' such as belief in life after death, don't steal, don't screw your neighbor's wife and more. It just taken a lot of years for people to make (or more accurately 'create') perceived differences and go to trying to kill each other off with a vengeance. "Man is one of few species that it's own"

It's so friggin ironic that that embattled mess of a man, Rodney King, after getting the bejesus beaten out him by the L.A. cops, was still able to say (great sound bite, if not verboten)  "Can't we all just get along?"

Not Colombian per say, but has implications:

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/10/369645207/pelo-malo-is-a-rare-look-into-latin-american-race-relations
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:11:09 PM by robert angel »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 300