It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Married!  (Read 4684 times)

Offline V_Man

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Married!
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:41:43 AM »
I am now married to my Colombiana!

I flew Australia - LA - Miami - Bogota which takes about 32 hours which is very good. I picked up some more pesos in Miami airport.
I arrived about 1 or 2am into the new El Dolrado airport which is a massive improvement. The major flaw at the moment is that they have temporarily abandoned the ticket system for taxis. Not only is there now chaos but this is a major drawback for any newbies traveling there. The old system was safer. They will eventually bring back the ticket system when they complete the construction. (Which is the lamest excuse ever but that's how it is.)

My sweetie was waiting for me and there is a vast glass wall between the baggage collection and people waiting. This is a really cool idea which I have never seen in an international airport before. So you can see your loved one waiting for you before you go through final customs.

The next few days were full on. I developed a cold and combined with the jet lag I really needed to rest but there were a thousand things to get done each day so it was a massive effort.

However all the last minute things did get organised. We did several different family things for Christmas. I met what seems like 100 new family memebers.
In no time it was the big day!!
We have the big family celebration in Resturante Santa Clara on top of Monseratte.
The big hick up was that we had two priests pull out so we actually started dinner and we still did not have a priest for the blessing ceremony.
Anyway just when I had given up all hope a priest did arrive and he gave us a very special marriage blessing which was more meaningful and sage than most weddings in the west.

I gave a speak in Spanish which I had not had time to practice. I did well with the pronouncation but with my sore throat it was not ideal even with a microphone.
The night was a huge success and everyone was very happy.

Two days later e flew to Panama City. Then a bus to Colon to board our cruise ship.
We cruised to Cartegena, Bon Aire, Curacao and Aruba - returning to Colon. I have never been on a cruise before. I was great. My wife got a crush on our waiter, much to his embrassment. Jajaja. We also celebrated the New Year on the cruise. The cruise could be a trip report on it's own. There were other Colombians and Venezuelans on the cruise. Most of the passengers were Spanish speaking.

We landed at Colon and we had little time to get to Panama City. This was a bit nurve racking but we made our flight to The Bahamas just fine. Immigration and Customs at the Bahamas is one of the worse and slowest in the world. We made our connecting domestic flight with 5 minutes to spare. Most of the Bahamian people very lazy.  Anyway we stayed at two different resorts on two different islands in the Bahamas. We had our legal wedding ceremony on the beach in the Bahamas and it was all very easy and cheap. I oragnised it myself and my wife did her own hair, etc.

We flew back to Bogota and had 2 more days together before I had to leave my new wife behind and return to Australia.

Now the waiting game begins for the visa.

Offline michaelb

• Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Married!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:58:08 AM »
Looks like I shall be the first to congratulate you. Best wishes.

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:58:15 AM »
Gongrats to you & the lady.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:02:42 AM by thekfc »
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:58:15 AM »

Offline Micky

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
VM -

Congrats to you and your wife.  All the best to you both!!!!

Approx how long is the visa process in the land of OZ?  (I know not fast enough for you)

Micky
Don't crap on my 2 yard line!

Offline Ricardo1

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 09:09:32 AM »
Congrats V_Man!!
Wishing you two the very best - happiness, health, and long life.  Savor every moment!
Ricardo

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »
Congrats V_Man! Wishing the two of you much happiness for many years!!

Hope you still continue to post and let us know how the adjustment process is going etc. It's great to hear from fellows (and females) from other nations here and I'd say the consensus here is that you're a really good fellow to have here.

Sure, we have a few 'cracked' eggs here, but as far as I'm concerned--you're a 'good egg'!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 02:14:59 PM »
Congrats !

May you have many years of happiness and may your visa process breeze through.

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline V_Man

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 05:16:25 PM »
Thank you everyone for the good wishes. A particular thank you to the guys that have voted for me as a decent person.
Sorry for my typos.

The visa process is complex and takes months.
Each case is assessed individually and the exact specific requirements vary. This reflects the fact that every relationship and circumstance is unique. It really is a complex system and the time it takes can vary wildly.
Countries are grouped into low risk and high risk. This refers to different risks. For example the risk someone will overstay their visa. Basically the wealthy countiries are low risk and all the rest are high risk. Colombia is high risk. Which adds at least a month to the process.

We are still collating all the requirements so we have not even got to the 'in-process' stage yet.

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »
Kekkon ni omedetou gozaimasu.  Congratulations on your marriage.  Please keep us posted on how it goes, and how her transition to life in your country progresses.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline whitey

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
Congrats Mr. and Mrs. V_Man!

For us here in Canada, the process was smooth but took about 6 weeks for me to get all the paperwork done after we married, then about another 10 months before she was approved.

Hopefully your visa will be relatively painless and quick!
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 06:42:18 PM »
Thank you everyone for the good wishes. A particular thank you to the guys that have voted for me as a decent person.
Sorry for my typos.

The visa process is complex and takes months.
Each case is assessed individually and the exact specific requirements vary. This reflects the fact that every relationship and circumstance is unique. It really is a complex system and the time it takes can vary wildly.
Countries are grouped into low risk and high risk. This refers to different risks. For example the risk someone will overstay their visa. Basically the wealthy countiries are low risk and all the rest are high risk. Colombia is high risk. Which adds at least a month to the process.

We are still collating all the requirements so we have not even got to the 'in-process' stage yet.

V_man

The visa for my wife took 18 months, so if I can get through it and in May 6 years Married later and still very happy, you can too. Sounds like you have a great woman with a good head on her shoulders, so you are well on the way !

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 08:34:54 PM »
Kekkon ni omedetou gozaimasu.  Congratulations on your marriage.  Please keep us posted on how it goes, and how her transition to life in your country progresses.

V_Man, Too bad Bob_S didn't explain that 'Kekkon ni omedetou gozaimasu' means 'I hope you didn't sit on the cake' in Japanese.... ;D
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline V_Man

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »
10 months!! 18 months!!! For your wife? Dios mio!!
No, I don't think it will take that long. That is barbaric!!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »

Offline SkyNorth

• EL FUEGO
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 01:30:42 AM »
VMon...From this moment forward may both your lives be filled with Love, Laughter, and Stinky Diapers !!!!!!

Congratulation's !!!!!!     

I am glad you got to experience Island Time...Where "ever-ting" slows down, "Mon".   Try the Bahamas for your 10th anniversary, you will appreciate the pace then.

Offline JasonA

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 09:05:10 AM »
Congrats, V-Man!!  Hope you have a short wait for the visa and many years of happiness to follow!!

Offline Stevieboy

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »
Hey V-Man, did you say your wife had a crush on the waiter?? Or did I misread that?

Offline V_Man

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 05:02:57 AM »
Hey V-Man, did you say your wife had a crush on the waiter?? Or did I misread that?

Yes! Jajaja.
He was this tiny Indian guy who was always trying to be helpful but always seemed like he was slightly out of his depth. He may have been the only man in the whole ship that was shorter than her. She thought he was cute in a puppy dog sort of way.
Of course if I even look at another woman she has a massive spat - but that's jealous latinas for you.

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »
congrats V_man, best of wishes for you and your wife *hugs*

Offline Stevieboy

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »

Yes! Jajaja.
He was this tiny Indian guy who was always trying to be helpful but always seemed like he was slightly out of his depth. He may have been the only man in the whole ship that was shorter than her. She thought he was cute in a puppy dog sort of way.
Of course if I even look at another woman she has a massive spat - but that's jealous latinas for you.

Whew!! OK, that one sentence bothered the hell out of me as it kind of scared me because i had mentally settled on SA women for my future. Good to hear and congratulations. Just got back from Panama, and am going to Barranquilla in March. Cant wait. Its all I think about.   

Offline Stevieboy

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »
To clarify..the "sentence" i mention was the one when you said she flirted with the guy. I didnt know she was teasing or joking so all good.

Offline V_Man

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »
Yeah Stevie I understand. I am sure you are aware that SA women let their emotions show. This can be good or it can be bad and sometimes it is just a little commical. However it adds spice to life that is sure.  ;D

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133131
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 182