It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: That damm internet. It's a blessing and a curse.  (Read 8786 times)

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: That damm internet. It's a blessing and a curse.
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »
yeah Bob that's the ticket. Nothing fancy. I have an incompatible Smartalk Samsung cell phone but I don't use it now here anyway and it would not be useful in Colombia anyway without a new compatible wireless chip in it, so a 'barebones' Wifi pad is not a bad option.
Anyone, how much would it take to swap out a new cellular phone chip for one that is compatible in Colombia anyway? 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:35:27 PM by beginthebeguin »
"Any club that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to join." - G. Marx,  not Karl

"Now children all colombianas you meet on the internet are bad. Muukay". - Mr. Makey

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 01:19:45 PM »
If you have an unlocked GSM phone (one that uses a SIM card) it costs nothing. Just buy a SIM with prepaid minutes when you arrive in Colombia with a Colombian number. If you bought your phone from your phone company, it's probably locked. You can find instructions to unlock yours online. Just Google "unlock a (whateverphoneyouhave)"

I buy prepaid SIM cards wherever I travel when I arrive to have a local number and not get stuck with the roaming fees ($1 a minute in Mexico for AT&T)

Offline fathertime

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
  I have three desktops and am undecided as to which want to ship later. And my best one is the heaviest. Too bad, shipping charges will be 'muy costoso'. jajajaja

Well BtB, why don't you just ship all 3 and let her chose which one she likes best?  I'm sure it can't be more than a 4-5 hundred bucks for shipping.  :D [size=78%]  [/size]

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »
I buy prepaid SIM cards wherever I travel when I arrive to have a local number and not get stuck with the roaming fees ($1 a minute in Mexico for AT&T)
BTW, Jeff, if I might pick your brain for a minute, is there a prepaid SIM card you'd recommend for travel to Japan?  My Verizon phone charges about 2 bucks a minute for roaming, and the rates I'm seeing for other providers are also pretty steep if (when) I go to a smart phone and want to access data for browsing, e-mail, and maps.  And is it good for travel to Europe, or does that require a whole different SIM card?
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 04:34:31 PM »
I'm not sure about now, but Verizon used to offer to 'unlock' your phone for you for free before you went overseas, but depending on what system or phone's on (GSM, CDMA, etc) it might not work anyway.

I typically buy a used phone from a pawn shop overseas and either resell it or give it away towards the end of our stay, but if it's a 'smart' phone, that might be pricey. I'd call Verizon's main store and a few branches a few times--in my experience, they can all do it, but not all are as willing.

In the Philippines, in most cities there are guys set up on the sidewalks, working on milk crates and using things like a lap top computer loaded with phone brand software, some basic electronic tools and stuff like dental tools, who can unlock, root operating systems and more. I've only had one phone I brought from the USA that they couldn't crack--they tried for 3 days and didn't charge my white a__ a single peso for their trouble.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »
BTW, Jeff, if I might pick your brain for a minute, is there a prepaid SIM card you'd recommend for travel to Japan?  My Verizon phone charges about 2 bucks a minute for roaming, and the rates I'm seeing for other providers are also pretty steep if (when) I go to a smart phone and want to access data for browsing, e-mail, and maps.  And is it good for travel to Europe, or does that require a whole different SIM card?

I get a different one for each country - but one for the EU is probably good enough. I've forgotten which one I picked up in Japan last time - just walked into a store and bought 60 minutes or something for 2000 yen I think. I was with my wife so let her do the talking. The last one I got was a Movistar in Mexico, but have also bought them in China.

I picked up a prepaid ATT SIM card in one of my unlocked phones for when the girls were here last month - 100 minutes of talk and unlimited text for 30 days for $25.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:51:03 PM by Jeff S »

Offline InnocentVixen

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »
I think that is a great option for BTB...when he is told to kiss the bride, he can embrass & kiss his fifthly monitor!

Fathertime!

Actually he doesn't have to...

http://gizmodo.com/320801/kiss-phone-opens-up-new-frontier-of-teledildonic-possibilities

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »
Ok I_V I'm gonna  get you for that one. Putting ideas in Fathertime's head. jajajjajajajajajjaajaaaaaaa
"Any club that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to join." - G. Marx,  not Karl

"Now children all colombianas you meet on the internet are bad. Muukay". - Mr. Makey

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »

Actually he doesn't have to...

http://gizmodo.com/320801/kiss-phone-opens-up-new-frontier-of-teledildonic-possibilities
LOL!!!  Good One IV!   I also give credit to BTB for understanding we all have a pretty good sense of humor around here at PL. 

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 10:18:32 PM »
I get a different one for each country - but one for the EU is probably good enough. I've forgotten which one I picked up in Japan last time - just walked into a store and bought 60 minutes or something for 2000 yen I think. I was with my wife so let her do the talking.
Thanks.  Good plan.  That should be cheaper than the rental cell phone I used last trip.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 06:29:18 PM »
Ok here is a question. Which would you rather have a 4G smart phone that is going to audibly remind you of appointments or a latina novia, who wanting to be indispensible to you,  wants to slip in the conversation ever so nimbly a question as to when your next doctor's appointment is scheduled?  Sort of like a mnemonic appliance only with great curves and eyes that drive you wild. I'll take the latter, she may be more expensive to maintain but she beats Apple's SIRI appliance by 10 kilometros. jajajajajajajjajajajajajajjaja
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:59:04 PM by beginthebeguin »

Offline V_Man

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 08:08:13 PM »
BtB if your Spanish is OK then I'm not sure what you are going to use one of those devices for anyway.
A smart phone or a laptop is a nice to have. You don't need it if you are only visiting. I took my smartphone and a cheap tablet. This meant that I was able to:
* listen to music and watch videos during those many hours I spent in airports getting there (which is not much of an issue for you guys in the USA). I was also an option when I was on some flights that did not have personal entertainment systems.
* I wanted to use it for translation when I was not in public places. Unfortunately for one reason or another, the vast majority of the time I was without WiFi so that did not work out as I expected.
* Camera. I used the camera a few times.
* The internet. I.e. to buy plane tickets, search for accomdation etc. However since we didn't have WiFi at the times we needed it, we ended up doing this at an internet kiosk at Exito.
* Bluetooth. i was able to receive some phones that others took.

If you decide you want your smart phone or tablet to connect to the Colombian 3G network, then a word of warning: a lot of devices will not work with the carriers there. If your device works then great but it is a risk.

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »
Ok here is a question. Which would you rather have a 4G smart phone that is going to audibly remind you of appointments or a latina novia, ...she may be more expensive to maintain but she beats Apple's SIRI appliance by 10 kilometros.
But as entertaining as this?  --> http://whysiriwhy.com/

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »

Offline InnocentVixen

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »
just what everyone needs! a thing socially awkward people can talk to and become even worse... maybe I should get one, looks so fun haha

Offline dbmcguinness

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 01:34:58 PM »
Bob, I need to get an iphone just for the siri fun thanks for sharing.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345