It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: That damm internet. It's a blessing and a curse.  (Read 8934 times)

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: None (yet)
That damm internet. It's a blessing and a curse.
« on: July 25, 2011, 09:56:42 PM »
One of the nicest things my novia has admitted to me all month is that she rushes to the neighborhood cyber cafe after she drops off her son at school because she wants to see if I am online. (We chat at least twice a day.). Now at this point I am ready to hear more of these frank admisions of affection from her, who wouldn't? Of course after she admits this to me, my internet connection drops 8 times in the next twenty-five minutes because of a local storm passing through my end of the link.
Go figua! And by the time I get a much stronger signal the mood has passed and her timed session at the cafe is up, until later in the day, or even the next day.
Now before some of you start 'bustin' my chops', as to why I don't do something about getting a better connection, etc,,etc.. Please, just let that impulse pass.
I'm not looking for any sympathy here. One must expect Murphy's law to apply exponentially when trying a LDR especially to Colombia. It comes with the pursuit. I am just surprised that the lady has not given up in frustration.  ;)     
"Any club that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to join." - G. Marx,  not Karl

"Now children all colombianas you meet on the internet are bad. Muukay". - Mr. Makey

Offline InSanDiego

• Opted-Out
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: That damm internet. It's a blessing and a curse.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 10:01:38 PM »
"el red se cae" I know this very well, happens a few times every night....

Offline maritime04

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:56:06 PM »
i try to call for 30 mins PLUS every time i get off watch or go on watch, i give up sleep to do this, if i am late in calling i hear about it, which is nice means she is paying attention, when i worked a diffrent shift, i was able to make random calls during the night, ususally from 6pm to midnight, then again at 6am to say good night. Sometimes i wonder if she knows i am giving up sleep to keep the communication with her good.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:56:06 PM »

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:19:24 PM »
Alright I have cursed 'el red' quite a bit but. We have been at this for a year now, an anniversary of a sorts, and the relationship is stronger than ever. Only a few more months to go.
Is it my imagination or are the connections in Colombia getting better since last summer?  Seems that way to me at least. 
"Any club that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to join." - G. Marx,  not Karl

"Now children all colombianas you meet on the internet are bad. Muukay". - Mr. Makey

Offline V_Man

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »
BtB you told us you ended things with her.
Only a few more months to go.
How many is a few?

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:20:27 AM »
only 4 to go. But as usual fate will step in and botch things up. It always happens. Film at eleven.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:52:04 AM by beginthebeguin »

Offline InnocentVixen

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »
"La red se cae" ahh those dial-up days.... I remember...
If one of you is having connection problems more often than not just remember that chatting is not the only option, there are a lot of pocket friendly options out there for phone calls and the ever reliable email that no matter how much your connection fails, it will surely save at least part of that long love letter you were typing :)

I actually prefer non-online communication and I am lucky enough to have a good connection and usually the guys I talk to do as well, but then again after so long I guess I am just tired of internet!

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »

Hehehe! I knew who started this thread just by looking at the title!
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline fathertime

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »

Hehehe! I knew who started this thread just by looking at the title!

He LOVES the internet!
 :D 

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:52:53 PM »
Roll film:
Managed today to get her on the internet today before her alloted time ran out and we were able to chat for a few moments. (The love letter to her ships out later tonight I_V  ;) ). Anyway I told her about a potential medical problem I might be having, describing it's attendant symptoms and the first things out of her mouth were "Go to the doctor already. And you tell me when you go.") No ifs, ands or buts. She is already thinking like a wife. That reaction is somewhat out of character for one of those 'ditzy Colombianas' I hear described so often here. Needless to say I am very much impressed with her, for I also relayed the symptoms to my brother, a licensed PA, later in the day and he agreed with her.
Don't know how this is going to turn out yet. I am too old a codger to let a woman boss me around but she handled the news very well for a first reaction. Now the hard part comes later, reacting to the diagnosis together.   

Offline Fuzzyone

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »
BtB you told us you ended things with her. How many is a few?

You can lead a mule to water but to get him to drink.

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 08:04:52 PM »
ehhhhh- hawwwwwwwww!!!!!  :D

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
One of the nicest things my novia has admitted to me all month is that she rushes to the neighborhood cyber cafe after she drops off her son at school because she wants to see if I am online. (We chat at least twice a day.). Now at this point I am ready to hear more of these frank admisions of affection from her, who wouldn't? Of course after she admits this to me, my internet connection drops 8 times in the next twenty-five minutes because of a local storm passing through my end of the link.
Go figua! And by the time I get a much stronger signal the mood has passed and her timed session at the cafe is up, until later in the day, or even the next day.
Now before some of you start 'bustin' my chops', as to why I don't do something about getting a better connection, etc,,etc.. Please, just let that impulse pass.
I'm not looking for any sympathy here. One must expect Murphy's law to apply exponentially when trying a LDR especially to Colombia. It comes with the pursuit. I am just surprised that the lady has not given up in frustration.  ;)   

The solution to your problem is quite simple.

To prevent the your connection from dropping, go see her in person!!

Guys like myself who have actually seen these women from South America in person will tell you "the connection" ( if there really ever was one) is very clear!!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:23:40 PM by Chris F »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »

Offline Dan Las Vegas

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 02:41:35 PM »
Chris,
You mean that eventually you have to turn off your computer, get on a plane and, Gasp!!!! meet in person???

Dan LV

Offline fathertime

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
Chris,
You mean that eventually you have to turn off your computer, get on a plane and, Gasp!!!! meet in person???

Dan LV

I don't know Dan, maybe there is a way to get married via webcam too.  Then you NEVER will actually have to meet your wife.  When one spouse dies the other can attend funeral via webcam also, just send the ashes in the mail.

Fathertime! 
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline whitey

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »
You actually can get married via webcam in Colombia - that option was available at the notaria we used in Soledad.
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »
Chris,

Dan LV
He is not going anywhere Dan because he already has someone! If she "breaks" in the near future the good news is he can buy his new girlfriend fairly cheap right now.

HP Pavilion p7-1254 Desktop & 20" LED Monitor Package-$599.00

Offline fathertime

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 05:42:51 PM »
You actually can get married via webcam in Colombia - that option was available at the notaria we used in Soledad.

I think that is a great option for BTB...when he is told to kiss the bride, he can embrass & kiss his fifthly monitor!

Fathertime! 
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
whitey sez
I wonder if the notaria's computer monitor has rice marks on the screen.  ::)

Offline V_Man

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 05:57:22 AM »
Chris,

Dan LV

You had me shaking in my boots for a minute there as well Chris. However all is well because BtB can get married by webcam. Then they can live happily ever after on the internet. BtB must be so thrilled!!!

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »
Oh, I'm sure BtB will eventually get his butt on a plane and go see what the hype is all about.  But for those lurkers too shy to even apply for a passport and are satisfied with a ni-jigen waiffu (2-dimensional wife), you'll eventually need to get an ona-hole (woman's hole) stress relief toy.  I won't post any pics, otherwise I'd have to put myself on moderated status, but you can imagine what it is and go see some samples at the J-List web site that sells strange Japanese imports from innocent kiddie Pokemon cookie cutters to adult-oriented Hello Kitty "massage" devices for the ladies.  All available through that cursed Internet, of course.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline V_Man

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 09:26:13 PM »
I really should put myself on a moderated status for mercilessly poking fun at BtB when he always made it clear what his time table was. Most rude of me really. It's just the Aussie sence of humour. I'm actually really looking forward to reading his impressions later this year when he finally goes.

You are dead right that there are a hundred lerkers here that never even apply for a passport.  :o

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 05:13:43 AM »

I guess if you are cyber-dating it is still possible to kick 'em to the cyber-curb:

.....gives new meaning to the term "reboot"......

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 05:13:43 AM »

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 05:49:08 AM »
V_Man sez
I'm actually really looking forward to reading his impressions later this year when he finally goes.

yeah, but i won't be able to buy a laptop or a pad this year, or next year for that matter to send the readers of P-L some reports on my arrival. One has to pay for the trip first. Yes? I could wind up using a cyber-cafe there and pay 1 mil pesos an hour to compose some reports. I have three desktops and am undecided as to which want to ship later. And my best one is the heaviest. Too bad, shipping charges will be 'muy costoso'. jajajaja 

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 12:18:03 PM »
V_Man sez yeah, but i won't be able to buy a laptop or a pad this year, or next year for that matter to send the readers of P-L some reports on my arrival.
Don't know if this helps, but PanDigital has a bare-bones minimally functional Android tablet for under a hundred bucks.  No camera, no microphone I think, barely any memory, just an e-reader/media player with wifi for slow browsing.  At that price, it's almost disposable.  If it gets ripped off, you haven't lost too much.  Our local Big Lots discount store has them on sale, and you can find them on Amazon.  I was thinking about getting one for a friend's kids for Christmas since one of the kids is a voracious reader and the rest can enjoy Angry Birds and videos.  1 Gig will hold a small library of books and a few CDs of music.  Just something to consider.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864