It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Favorite taxi drivers and affordable hotels in Cali and Medellin?  (Read 10202 times)

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Favorite taxi drivers and affordable hotels in Cali and Medellin?
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 10:45:14 PM »

I can only offer my anecdotal experiences on both Cities..... and depending on a guys spanish speaking ability, looks and the level of attractiveness in the women he seeks there will be wide variation in the experiences a guy has in any particular city.

But I would be interested in knowing..... how you think Paisas and Calenas compare.

I have noticed that more Paisas go out alone and in small groups of just women than in Cali.....also more women have cars and drive compared to Cali.

In Medellin they actually have American style pick up bars where chicks go by themselves and pay a flat one price for  all you can drink. I know of no bars like that in Cali.

At Babylon they have two different lines to get into the Club....one for guys and one for girls.....for every girl they let in they let in one guy so the place doesn't turn into a sausage fest like some singles clubs in the U.S.

Just wondering Calipro how much time peryear do you spend in Medellin?
In addition you mention the clubs there so I have to assume your still going clubing.
Just wondering at what age in Medellin are you too old to go clubing?  I know your 50 plus, and we both know that is way too old to be clubing here in the USA (except Salsa clubs) For other type of music clubs in the USA however, no way.

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2015, 12:41:52 AM »

Just wondering Calipro how much time peryear do you spend in Medellin?
In addition you mention the clubs there so I have to assume your still going clubing.
Just wondering at what age in Medellin are you too old to go clubing?  I know your 50 plus, and we both know that is way too old to be clubing here in the USA (except Salsa clubs) For other type of music clubs in the USA however, no way.

I would say that I spend about 3 month out of the year in Medellin on average.

I don't know where you are living but in Scottsdale AZ there are plenty of guys in there 50's hitting the clubs and pick up bars.

The Devils Martini in Scottsdale is closed but it was notorious for being a cougar hangout.....some of those women looked pretty good for their age but I could never get into the scene.

Personally I don't waste time on going out in the US much anymore......just so much better return on investment in Colombia. It's not as easy when you are over 50 but it's doable.

I don't know that there is an age limit on going to clubs in Medellin......if you date young women you almost have to go to them. Now going to clubs in Medellin ...to pick up on younger women is not easy when you are over 50....I almost always go with younger friends and every once in a while you will just find one that would rather take her chances with the old guy. 

When you are over 50 you have to come to the realization that you are not the hottest guy that they (any of the women you want) know. But you may very well be the guy with the most attractive lifestyle that she knows. And some women are very attracted to that....but you don't want women that are only attracted to that.....so I really like to take women out just to separate the wheat from the chaff.....women that will go to a Club filled with people her age and make out with you or are very affection with you in public are the keepers.....although I met one that fit that bill that turned out to be a complete sociopath but that was the exception rather than the rule.

Offline Juan Valdez

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 01:43:45 AM »
HUGE shout out to Calipro!  I was just picked up at the airport in Cali by Oscar, the taxi driver he referred, and Oscar drove me to the airbnb apartment that Calipro ALSO referred...

Oscar is a stand-up guy, speaks (what appears to be so far) fluent English, and obviously Spanish.  Oscar's airport pickup price was $5 mil cheaper than the taxi driver friend of the girl I am meeting tomorrow, and he didn't charge me for an extra trip to Citibank... which most drivers will charge you for any other point-to-point stops (at least in Barranquilla).

Plus, Oscar gave me information on safety issues, and spoke with my apartment hostess (i.e. translated for us), to make sure I had all my questions answered.  He even asked me if I wanted to go anywhere else tonight... he lives on the opposite side of town, and only works late night by appointment, so he was being extremely hospitable.

The airbnb apartment is even nicer than the photos online.  Oscar was as impressed as I was.

This is my first time ever to Cali (been to Barranquilla many times), so to have a bilingual taxi driver pick me up at the airport, and to have a great place to stay immediately... I am very appreciative. 

I have never met Calipro in person, just here online, and I really appreciate the info, as it has made me feel much more comfortable with my first trip to Cali. 

Thanks again, Calipro... I will keep you posted as things develop :-)

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 01:43:45 AM »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2015, 10:24:11 AM »
Juan: So where did you meet the lady in Cali you are meeting up with? Colombian Cupid? Will this be your first time meeting her?

Have a good trip.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 10:31:57 AM »
Juan, when do you plan to be in Medellin?

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »

I would say that I spend about 3 month out of the year in Medellin on average.

I don't know where you are living but in Scottsdale AZ there are plenty of guys in there 50's hitting the clubs and pick up bars.

The Devils Martini in Scottsdale is closed but it was notorious for being a cougar hangout.....some of those women looked pretty good for their age but I could never get into the scene.

Personally I don't waste time on going out in the US much anymore......just so much better return on investment in Colombia. It's not as easy when you are over 50 but it's doable.

I don't know that there is an age limit on going to clubs in Medellin......if you date young women you almost have to go to them. Now going to clubs in Medellin ...to pick up on younger women is not easy when you are over 50....I almost always go with younger friends and every once in a while you will just find one that would rather take her chances with the old guy. 

When you are over 50 you have to come to the realization that you are not the hottest guy that they (any of the women you want) know. But you may very well be the guy with the most attractive lifestyle that she knows. And some women are very attracted to that....but you don't want women that are only attracted to that.....so I really like to take women out just to separate the wheat from the chaff.....women that will go to a Club filled with people her age and make out with you or are very affection with you in public are the keepers.....although I met one that fit that bill that turned out to be a complete sociopath but that was the exception rather than the rule.
I live in the Los Angeles area. In this area only guys 50 plus go to salsa clubs. They would never show up at that age to any other type of dance club, for the most part.

Mudd  has mentioned  numerous times here about guys who picked up women in Medellin only to find themselves drugged and robbed later.  Has this ever come close to happening to you there and what do you do to avoid it?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:57:35 AM by Chris F »

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2015, 02:09:57 PM »
I live in the Los Angeles area. In this area only guys 50 plus go to salsa clubs. They would never show up at that age to any other type of dance club, for the most part.

Mudd  has mentioned  numerous times here about guys who picked up women in Medellin only to find themselves drugged and robbed later.  Has this ever come close to happening to you there and what do you do to avoid it?

I have never been drugged or robbed by a chick.....but I really don't even try to do one night stands that much....but sometimes it happens even without trying ...but no chick gets into my apartment without a cedula and I never  bring more than one chick back to my apartment unless I know the both of them very very well.

Those two rules will serve you very well in Colombia.

Even if I did get drugged .....there really isn't anything to take of mine unless she can get out of my building with the safe.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 02:14:58 PM by Calipro »

Offline Juan Valdez

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 09:18:55 PM »
Juan: So where did you meet the lady in Cali you are meeting up with? Colombian Cupid? Will this be your first time meeting her?

Have a good trip.

Met her on Colombian Cupid. First time meeting her.

Offline Juan Valdez

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2015, 09:20:16 PM »
Juan, when do you plan to be in Medellin?

Not sure... could be this week... kinda depends on how things go here in Cali ;-)

My travel is often spontaneous, as you can see.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 07:34:01 PM »

First of all a disclaimer. In no way is my intent to be "patronizoing", I hope you dont take it that way.

But you are meeting other women arent you? Wouldnt want to go all this way and through all this trouble just for one girl.

Remember what Jaimie says about it being a "numbers " game.

Anyway, he and I could be all wrong. I know there are cases out there where people talk to each other for 2 years by SKYPE , then meet, get married, and have kids and live happily ever after. Just for me it seems counter-intuitive..

Anyway, best of luck to you.

Met her on Colombian Cupid. First time meeting her.

Offline Juan Valdez

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 07:10:52 AM »
First of all a disclaimer. In no way is my intent to be "patronizoing", I hope you dont take it that way.

But you are meeting other women arent you? Wouldnt want to go all this way and through all this trouble just for one girl.

Remember what Jaimie says about it being a "numbers " game.

Anyway, he and I could be all wrong. I know there are cases out there where people talk to each other for 2 years by SKYPE , then meet, get married, and have kids and live happily ever after. Just for me it seems counter-intuitive..

Anyway, best of luck to you.

No offense taken... I have been to Colombia many times, so I am familiar with the process.   As you well know, it is relatively easy to meet other girls while here (by yourself if you speak sufficient Spanish, agencies, friends, online, etc.), and I have some cultural interest here as well... so no trip should be wasted as long as there is a Plan B, C, D, etc. in place.  Often intent to meet one girl, leads to a better opportunity with another girl, or maybe yet another girl.  I know you know this... I'm just letting you know that I know ;-)

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 07:26:22 AM »
Ill send you a PM with the name of the driver in Medellin , if you decide to go there. From what you describe, . I dont think youll find him to be quite a "deal" as Oscar, but still a really good guy. And he has no problem helping you. There is no way you could be as crazy as some of the clients he already has...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:37:45 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline John W

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »

I can only offer my anecdotal experiences on both Cities..... and depending on a guys spanish speaking ability, looks and the level of attractiveness in the women he seeks there will be wide variation in the experiences a guy has in any particular city.

But I would be interested in knowing..... how you think Paisas and Calenas compare.

My time and number of dates in both cities was too short for me to be able to make any general comments about the women of Cali and Medellin other than the obvious-that there are more morenas and dark skinned women in Cali than in Medellin.  The women I met in Medellin were more educated and I met more professionals there, but it was a very small sample. In Cali half the women I met were from an agency and half from the internet, and I think the professional, educated women were less likely to join an agency.  Everyone I met in Medellin was off the internet, and that is why I think I met more college educated women in Medellin.  The man doing the looking and how he goes about meeting women is going to have a bigger impact on the type of women he meets than any other factor, including the city and even the country where he goes.  I think there are good, very attractive women to be found all over Colombia.  Find a city or region you enjoy and hit the road!

One other comment I would make is that the opinions and experiences of the members on this and other websites may not be entirely accurate of the realities in Latin America. You're just getting a certain point of view that may or may not resemble your experience when you arrive.  I went to Cali in 2007 and at that time everyone on this board was saying too many foreigners go to Cali, it is over fished, try going to another city, the women have been spoiled by Americans.  Almost no one here had been to Medellin.  I went to Cali for about 10 days and saw one other American over a 10 day period, and that was at an agency.  I went to Medellin and saw several Americans over a 4 day period.  Also, never had any problems with any of the women I met in Cali. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:56:27 PM by John W »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »

Offline whitey

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »
One other comment I would make is that the opinions and experiences of the members on this and other websites may not be entirely accurate of the realities in Latin America. You're just getting a certain point of view that may or may not resemble your experience when you arrive.  I went to Cali in 2007 and at that time everyone on this board was saying too many foreigners go to Cali, it is over fished, try going to another city, the women have been spoiled by Americans.  Almost no one here had been to Medellin.  I went to Cali for about 10 days and saw one other American over a 10 day period, and that was at an agency.  I went to Medellin and saw several Americans over a 4 day period.  Also, never had any problems with any of the women I met in Cali.

IMO there are no places that are "fished out" or have too many gringos, except for the old city in Cartagena and Parque Lleras in Medellin.
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 05:30:39 PM »

Yeah, it is way over exaggerated. But a lot of the women you do meet on the internet or those agencies have had relations with, or at least met in person, other foreigners, whether they be Mexicans, Uruguayans, Argentinians, Spaniards, Aussies, UK, US, Canada, or wherever.

This was on the list of 40 red flags I published long time ago,  buy one that can be probably over looked, unless you are really, really picky..unless shes been with several expats..

IMO there are no places that are "fished out" or have too many gringos, except for the old city in Cartagena and Parque Lleras in Medellin.

Offline buencamino

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2015, 06:32:19 PM »
Juan enjoying your reporting. You've been in Cali a few days so give us an update. How did the Cali chica pan out.? CC was a good choice. Over the past four or five years I have met dozens off those sites. Some short term some longer. Met my current novia going on three years ago on that site. I think the only agency left standing  in Cali is Ricardo's allcolombiangirls. With all the competion now, CC, face etc. I don't know how he keeps going. I see him now and then in Chipichapi but he's never flush. However it is also my impression that CC is also falling off so where are the chicas going to meet gringos? I know one who is into instagram but I don' t know how big that is...

Offline Juan Valdez

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2015, 11:35:42 PM »
Juan enjoying your reporting. You've been in Cali a few days so give us an update. How did the Cali chica pan out.? CC was a good choice. Over the past four or five years I have met dozens off those sites. Some short term some longer. Met my current novia going on three years ago on that site. I think the only agency left standing  in Cali is Ricardo's allcolombiangirls. With all the competion now, CC, face etc. I don't know how he keeps going. I see him now and then in Chipichapi but he's never flush. However it is also my impression that CC is also falling off so where are the chicas going to meet gringos? I know one who is into instagram but I don' t know how big that is...

The first chica didn't pan out.  While disappointing, of course I knew that was a possibility, and was prepared with backup plan(s). 

Since I'm an avid salsa dancer, I have been wanting to come to Cali for some time to take some classes, and check out the dance scene.  So I've taken two classes already, and I am super impressed with the instructors here.

Meanwhile reaching out to other girls on Cupid.  Ironically, girls are more likely to respond if I tell them I'm here "right now"... yet most still show no real interest in meeting.  I sometimes get the impression with some girls.... that if the gringo doesn't message them immediately with a Western Union confirmation code where they can pick up the cash, they lose interest after a couple WhatsApp messages... Lol

Hitting the dance clubs Thursday should be interesting.

Offline Awesome

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2015, 11:56:51 PM »
The first chica didn't pan out.  While disappointing, of course I knew that was a possibility, and was prepared with backup plan(s). 

Since I'm an avid salsa dancer, I have been wanting to come to Cali for some time to take some classes, and check out the dance scene.  So I've taken two classes already, and I am super impressed with the instructors here.

Meanwhile reaching out to other girls on Cupid.  Ironically, girls are more likely to respond if I tell them I'm here "right now"... yet most still show no real interest in meeting.  I sometimes get the impression with some girls.... that if the gringo doesn't message them immediately with a Western Union confirmation code where they can pick up the cash, they lose interest after a couple WhatsApp messages... Lol

Check out La Topa Tolondra.  Dios mio I saw some gorgeous Calenas in that joint!  A small but very cool disco.  Another place where alot of hot chicks hang out is Parque Del Perro.  It's a little park surrounded by bars and restaurants, a very cool scene indeed.

Offline Awesome

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2015, 12:21:37 AM »
Oops double post.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:01:16 AM by Awesome »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 11:54:23 AM »
I have been taking salsa lessons in Manizales (LOL have been taking them intermittently for years--very slow progress when you chand instructors every few weeks and go for monthes without practice).
But I would like to go toCali for a week or 10 days for some  intensive lessons.

Can you PM me with any good female instructors you ran into in Cali?

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2015, 03:32:12 PM »
I have been taking salsa lessons in Manizales (LOL have been taking them intermittently for years--very slow progress when you chand instructors every few weeks and go for monthes without practice).
But I would like to go toCali for a week or 10 days for some  intensive lessons.

Expat,

Thats's probably the most difficult part about trying to become a decent salsa dancer. Once you've gotten use to maintaining the basic steps and movements with the rhythm it becomes second nature. But when you begin to learn by always dancing with the same partner (instructer), you become too accumstomed to them and have trouble synching with other women. Even though you're leading everyone is a little different. You'll also notice little subtle differences in style depending on where the girl is from. Laying off without practice so long isn't helping but having several different instructors and partners at first is the way to go.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2015, 08:05:07 PM »
But theyall teach differently

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:11 AM »
But theyall teach differently

That's kind of the point I was trying to make.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:11 AM »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2015, 01:53:20 AM »

My interest in salsa was one reason I went to Cali a few years ago. I am no Salsa expert but it definitely helps to have the basics under your belt given how big Salsa is in Cali. Great idea to take some lessons in Cali.

I should have made time for some lessons while I was down there since the Cali style Salsa is so different than how it is danced in North America. Did you take a group lesson or find a private instructor somewhere? And were you able to pick up the Cali style pretty easily?  Last but not least, keep us updated on how it is going with the ladies....

Offline V_Man

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2015, 06:47:05 PM »
I have no idea how you meet girls at a club in Cali, unless you go there with a group.
What tends to happen is everyone goes in a group and stays in that group based at a table. If you talk to women in another group you might find the males in that group become very possessive.
At least that was how it was in the few clubs I went dancing and that is what the locals told me.
Being a foreigner you can sometimes get away with more in those sort of situations, but I would watch and observe carefully before approaching any girl. At least, make sure no narco is with her first.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5873
Latest: zeggers
New This Month: 2
New This Week: 1
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 146