It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Student Visas  (Read 10421 times)

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Student Visas
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 08:04:02 AM »

I have news for you
Nova Scotia Provincial Health Care wont cover your bedsheets, should you get hospitalized in Texas. I think they reimburse you about $100 Canada per day.
And just try collecting.And why should they pay any more? Same applies to "Snow Birds". If you live out of the country, you should pay for your own healthcare when you are living there.

God forbid if you have major Surgery. My sister in-laws mom had an aneurism.in California
And they were stuck with an $800,000 Bill.They had trouble with the private travel insurance Company paying Up. Finally the insurance Company agreed to.pay the hospital $400K.
The Provincial health system paid squat.

I have no idea what other "Benifits" you refer to.

You sure dont get CPP if you havent paid into it, and OAS  (which is peanuts)requires that you have had some residency in Canada over the years. And why would they do otherwise?

Both are federal, not Provincial.programs.

Here are the rules for OAS from.the Government of Canadá website:

If you are living outside Canada, you must:

be 65 years old or older;
have been a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada on the day before you left Canada; and
have resided in Canada for at least 20 years since the age of 18.

Also, if you have other significant retirement income your OAS, which is about $400 US a month, maximum) will.be reduced significantly.

I have no interest in OAS or CPP. I would not expect to be covered for medical expenses in Texas under the Nova Scotia system - only while I was actually in Canada.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 12:38:38 PM »

I have news for you
Nova Scotia Provincial Health Care wont cover your bedsheets, should you get hospitalized in Texas. I think they reimburse you about $100 Canada per day.
And just try collecting.And why should they pay any more? Same applies to "Snow Birds". If you live out of the country, you should pay for your own healthcare when you are living there.

God forbid if you have major Surgery. My sister in-laws mom had an aneurism.in California
And they were stuck with an $800,000 Bill.They had trouble with the private travel insurance Company paying Up. Finally the insurance Company agreed to.pay the hospital $400K.
The Provincial health system paid squat.

I have no idea what other "Benifits" you refer to.

You sure dont get CPP if you havent paid into it, and OAS  (which is peanuts)requires that you have had some residency in Canada over the years. And why would they do otherwise?

Both are federal, not Provincial.programs.

Here are the rules for OAS from.the Government of Canadá website:

If you are living outside Canada, you must:

be 65 years old or older;
have been a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada on the day before you left Canada; and
have resided in Canada for at least 20 years since the age of 18.

Also, if you have other significant retirement income your OAS, which is about $400 US a month, maximum) will.be reduced significantly.

While I think reasonably priced (not saying 'free' health care anymore than free tires, food, etc) health care in wealthy countries should be a given,  it cracked me up when on a wrist watch forum where I was messaging a Swedish woman about a nice mechanical watch, she was moaning and groaning that while all her health care was excellent and free, that having a tooth pulled cost her.

Like with any work--service, pay-- 'compensation'  should be expected to be paid by the recipient of such, to the person proferring the work. But not at the highway robbery prices we see in the USA.

In the USA, we're grossly overpaying for medical services The drug companies have the largest amount of lobbyists in DC and in state capitals. The American Medical Association holds an awful lot of sway too. They kill a lot of 'reform' bills before they even approach the vote stage.

On pretty much every level, from drugs, to parts for basic surgeries, to hearts and all things replacable, (hips, knees, etc) we're paying for the research for the rest of the world and then to add insult to injury, paying a lot more when we need them in the USA.

The same high tech hip and knee replacement parts, which all come from the same area of the USA's midwest, cost a lot less overseas, JUST for the parts, than what the hospitals here charge us here.

If I need an MRI or CAT scan, my 'in network insured hospital' might charge $3000, then settle with my Blue Cross policy for half that amount. I pay a fraction of that, thankfully.

But for someone withOUT insurance, who doesn't know they can go to a non directly hospital affiliated office and get the same MRI, CATscan done and read by a radiologist for about $700,  my hospital,will simply do it for them and send them the whole $3000 bill, with NO adjustment.

Biggest beef I hear from my Canadian friends is that unless it's life threatening,  it takes forever to get an examination or have a procedure,  minor surgery done. But it's a whole lot cheaper.

"Affordable Healthcare" and 'act' has become a fire rod touch phrase. But I think we should reel in healthcare, including hospital, medical office care and  drug costs. I think that indigent health care costs force the hospitals to inflate the bills to cover for the poor who can't or won't pay.

Maybe focus on the indigent healthcare costs being paid by the Govt rather than indirectly by those who do pay regularly.  And get drug and procedure costs re examined for a 'reality check'.

Ban medicines from being advertised (along with lawyer's). Next time you watch the national news, count how many 30-60 second commercials are for drugs and for health problems you might have never even heard of. My wife saw them and initially thought we must be the sickest people on earth.

"Side effects and complications may include death"

That and all the dog product, services comercials. She thought dogs must be a worshipped diety amongst a lot of people here.

I remember last time I was in the hospital, in a room on the cusp of midnight, at the point where I'd be charged for one OR two days. When they saw my healthcare card, I had seen their smiles, them knowing I--actually my insurance, was 'good for the money'.

I wanted out b4 midnight. When the hot looking nurse asked me around 11PM : " Mr. A, is there anything else I can do for you before I leave?"--I replied:

"Yes, please--'How about a lap dance?'"

They had my discharge papers complete less than an hour later!!!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:58:23 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »
In the USA form of Democracy, it's awfully easy to forget that before an already compromised Congress and/or Senate gets to see, never mind vote on anything, it has to be reviewed and approved  or disapproved by a person or by a small 'committee' before it's even put up for, or more often NOT put up for, a so called 'popular' vote.

And the lobbyists, the people who pay them and donate Billions of dollars to these 'key to the gate' politicians, know exactly who holds the keys to the cages of the Congress and Senate and to their food--errr 'monetary' troughs that control massive amounts of money that may or may not go a politician's district back home.

No wonder there's a long ladder of ass kissing up the political line and US currency is their favorite toilet paper.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »

Offline Wildstubby

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 05:12:25 PM »
Hijacked thread but I'm going to respond anyway. I would like to know who and how the HMO Act of 1975 become history quietly?  That was the law that said an employer MUST offer an HMO if it was available in the area. It had to be rescinded in order to get Obama Care shoved down our throats!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »
Hijacked thread but I'm going to respond anyway. I would like to know who and how the HMO Act of 1975 become history quietly?  That was the law that said an employer MUST offer an HMO if it was available in the area. It had to be rescinded in order to get Obama Care shoved down our throats!

Off thread? Here, OMG---never! This relates to 'students'!

The Senate committee with by VP Mike Pence's vote was able to tiebreak a 50-50 vote confirming Betsy DeVos as head of education. (Rev. Jerry Falwell supposedly turned the position down)  No one in her family has ever attended a public school or had a student loan.

Senator Sanders: “Mrs. DeVos, there is a growing fear, I think, in this country that we are moving toward what some would call an oligarchic form of society, where a small number of very, very wealthy billionaires control, to a significant degree, our economic and political life. Would you be so kind as to tell us how much your family has contributed to the Republican Party over the years?”

DeVos: “Senator, first of all thank you for that question. I again was pleased to meet you in your office last week. I wish I could give you that number. I don’t know.”

'Sanders: “I have heard the number was $200 million. Does that sound in the ballpark?”

DeVos: “Collectively? Between my entire family?”

Sanders: “Yeah, over the years.”

DeVos: “That’s possible”

At least she can tell the truth when she knows, when she wants to:

"My family is the largest single contributor of soft money to the national Republican Party. I have decided to stop taking offense at the suggestion that we are buying influence," she wrote. "Now I simply concede the point. They are right."

I guess the price of getting to sleep in the Lincoln bedroom at the White House has gone up a bit....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:36:54 PM by robert angel »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 08:52:55 PM »
Hijacked thread but I'm going to respond anyway. I would like to know who and how the HMO Act of 1975 become history quietly?  That was the law that said an employer MUST offer2 an HMO if it was available in the area. It had to be rescinded in order to get Obama Care shoved down our throats!

Actually, it was 1973, Nixon era.

"""What was the purpose of the HMO Act of 1973?
library.cqpress.comlibrary.cqpress.com
The Health Maintenance Organization Act, informally known as the federal HMO Act, is a federal law that provides for a trial federal program to promote and encourage the development of health maintenance organizations (HMOs). The federal HMO Act amended the Public Health Service Act, which Congress passed in 1944.""""

Maybe they thought it pertained to 'homos' and the general populace wasn't ready to accept it...

Offline Wildstubby

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2018, 04:40:11 PM »
I knew Nixon signed it into law. I was just wrong with the dates. But in order to have an incentive for 'Obama Gold Plan', they had to negate anything that would compete with it such as an HMO. Now everything is based on Obamacare. My (bluechip) company went from offering an HMO with minimum out of pocket requirements to an 'Obamacare Clone' with excessive out of pocket before the 80% kicks in with a high max. out of pocket! And forget about 'Out of Network'!!!!! It just sux what they did and made healthcare more unaffordable for the working class just so the 'non-working class', (welfare recipients) got more and better coverage than Medicaid.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »
I knew Nixon signed it into law. I was just wrong with the dates. But in order to have an incentive for 'Obama Gold Plan', they had to negate anything that would compete with it such as an HMO. Now everything is based on Obamacare. My (bluechip) company went from offering an HMO with minimum out of pocket requirements to an 'Obamacare Clone' with excessive out of pocket before the 80% kicks in with a high max. out of pocket! And forget about 'Out of Network'!!!!! It just sux what they did and made healthcare more unaffordable for the working class just so the 'non-working class', (welfare recipients) got more and better coverage than Medicaid.

Dunno all the particulars, but last time I spoke with my 27 y/o son about what was then the mandatory govt health care he had to sign up for, his premiums were high and he had to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket before any coverage (could have been) applied.

I don't think he's ever gotten anything back on anything, that it'd have to be a catastrophic illness or injury costing a ton of money before it began to pay out.

I know his wisdom teeth situation was about as complex and involved as it gets and I ended up dishing out thousands of dollars there to keep him from going broke--no help from uncle sam there.

And I was ready with my Vise Grip pliars. (not)

Health, life and financial insurance is so freaking complicated. I was looking at Fixed Index Annuities, a financial vehicle sold by insurance companies. I wanted to invest a sizable chunk of money so that it would generate a 'guaranteed' stream of income, not just for the rest of my life, but also for my much younger wife's life time. Invest, not touch for 4 or 5 years, then draw, with minimal risk to principal. Or so they said anyway...

By the time we were able to unscramble their supposed 6.5% annual interest, (supposedly compounded!) from all the minutia, the 'riders' fees and stipulations, I had to agree that they are, as one Forbes magazine article called these FIA's---"Ponzi Schemes". Yes, you'll get some money back regardless of economic markets performance, but only because these non FDIC insured annuities are attracting billions of dollars in new investors to pay at least some % to the earlier investors.

Like Momma said, "If it sounds to be true, it probably is" 

But they'd sure love to talk it up for hours, over days and weeks, get you to agree, then have you come in later and sign off on a 'plan' that's a couple hundred pages of gobbly gook that you're given as you sign. Hogwash.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2018, 09:27:31 AM »

I have no interest in OAS or CPP. I would not expect to be covered for medical expenses in Texas under the Nova Scotia system - only while I was actually in Canada.

I misinterpreted your post.I though you expected benifits the whole year found whole living in NS 5 months.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345