It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: A NEW OUTLOOK ON BOGOTA  (Read 4015 times)

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
A NEW OUTLOOK ON BOGOTA
« on: June 05, 2011, 09:24:31 AM »
Well, after some leg pulling from Whitey Benjio's finally jumped into the Planet Love pool to test the waters. I was going to post this on my beloved original forum but it probably would only be read by two or three people and I try to do my best to help out any newbies deciding to take the plunge into Colombia.

For those that don't know me, I'm 30 years old, have been traveling to Colombia for the last three years at least every four months; and I'm absolutely in love with the country, the culture, and yes...the women as well.

I got a great systems analyst/programming job from a very prestigious U.S. Drilling and Oil Tools company about three months ago. As soon as they realized I had worked in Colombia before and was familiar with the lay of the land my ass was on a plane headed south. I've been here in Bogota before, but not for more than a couple of days. The first time I was here I had a horrible experience with Avianca. Basically my plane from Houston arrived late, so I missed my connecting flight to Barranquilla. Avianca put me up in a horrible hotel for the night and the problems only persisted from then on. Anyone that wants to read about a nightmare in Bogota is welcomed to check it out on the other board for “gringos” if the post hasn’t been erased.

This time the weather was once again not on my side. I’ve been told by the natives that it usually doesn’t persistently rain this time of year, but I’m here now, and it has been pouring every day. I don’t mind the rain, but when you’re in a foreign country, whether it’s for work or play, and you want to get out and see the sights, it can really put a damper on your plans.

Anyway, I arrived last Sunday at night, checked into my hotel and called a buddy I know that lives here. We had a really nice dinner at Club Colombia (the Colombian Beer Brand) Restaurant. The food there is to die for but a little expensive for Colombia, even for high end restaurant standards. In terms of the ladies I saw my first day, I wasn’t too disappointed. But a newly made friend of mine that had been here before “hen hunting” told me not to expect Colombia’s finest women in Bogota. Especially because I've been to every other major city in this country except for Medellin. After a couple of more days of exploring I couldn’t agree with him more. The men that work for my company here were very excited about me being here and insisted on taking me someone for dinner every night. There were a couple of nights I just wanted to go back to the hotel but I tried to be accommodating. I definitely understood their desire to show me a good time and keep me from being bored.

I had a date this pass Tuesday with a girl my friend here initially introduced me to via email. Very attractive…but she was originally from Medellin (of course). We had a nice dinner at some place called Andreas or something like that. There was pretty good live music. The singer had absolutely no accent whatsoever when he was covering popular American rock songs from the 80’s, but when I went to introduce myself (I assumed he was a gringo), the guy didn’t know a word of English…go figure. The date went well. We had very good conversations about how fast Colombia was growing, and what a mistake it is for every graduating college senior to head for Bogota to find work. I never understood that as they could just as easily attempt to build businesses in their own communities, but whatever. We parted on good terms, gave each other an embracing hug and she followed with a cold kiss on the cheek. We both knew we just weren’t that into each other, and I appreciate meetings like that as supposed to someone trying to hold on to the false hope of a relationship forming. I’ve been that person, and I’ve also had to dodge some stalkers that didn’t get the hint right away. She sent me a Facebook friend request (which I don’t understand as we’ll probably never speak again), and I accepted because she was nice.

More to come from this big Colombian Calamity they call Bogota…

Offline whitey

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
Re: A NEW OUTLOOK ON BOGOTA
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 10:24:11 AM »
Benjio you lucky dog ... you've hit the gringo holy grail ... a job in Colombia (at least part of the year) that pays in $US ... congrats!

Welcome aboard ... glad you're posting ...

Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline Colgando

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »
Nice post, glad to see another 30 year old posting!
So let mercy come and wash away, what I've done

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »

Offline OrlandoGringo

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 08:20:57 PM »
Welcome to the board Benjio!

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 11:42:33 PM »

Benjio welcome to the board!

Yes, now is the rainy season in Bogota.

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline benjio

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »
Benjio you lucky dog ... you've hit the gringo holy grail ... a job in Colombia (at least part of the year) that pays in $US ... congrats!

Welcome aboard ... glad you're posting ...

Thanks Whitey. The crazy thing is I was looking for a job in Colombia the last two years. As soon as I gave up and accepted a position in the states, they sent me straight down here. I definitely got lucky. And although I'd rather be working somewhere along the northern coast it's nice to be able to travel to the country I love on someone else coin for a change.  ;D

To be honest, I much rather have a job paying me $10 or $15 Million Colombian Pesos a month the way the exchange rate has been.

I'm in Rio De Janeiro now, which I'll definitely tell you guys about later, but back to my Bogota Experience.

The traffic there was absolutely horrible. If Bogota does not develop some type of freeway system in the next 15-25 years, driving there will be completely out of the question. The infrastructure of the city makes it almost impossible to build a freeway though it, but they need a loop like we have in Houston or something. Problem with that is a loop system would have to be primarily built on mountains. Which would probably increase the construction cost and complexity exponentially. So maybe a train or a monorail or something. I don't know...but they better do something because that bull[snip] Peeky Placa law ain't gonna cut it.

I was bored on Wednesday after work so I decided to try the hotel bar. It was filled with Gringos, but amazingly these guys weren't staying in the hotel. The ones I met were just regular patrons of the bar that had lived in Bogota for years. All married to Colombian women of course and very happy with their wives. But most of them wanted to get back to the states. When I told them about my ex in Barranquilla they all laughed. One of them told me something I'd never forget:

"Costenas para divertirse, Bogotanas para cumplirte"
My translation of that is, "Costenas to have fun, Bogotanas to complete yourself. I don't agree with that. I know a lot of good women along the coast. I just didn't have any luck with my ex when I wanted to get serious and start a life together. She was a good girl though....maybe a little too young.

Anyway, they gradually left to get home to their families and I found myself alone around 8:45. There was a very attractive Latina that arrived about an hour before then. Everyone noticed her walk in earlier and the standard "the things I'd do to her" chit chat amongst the group of men I was with started and ended as she made her way to the table. She had been babysitting a cocktail the entire time she had been there. I was almost sure someone was meeting her there, but no one ever showed up. She was dressed sexy, yet professionally. One of those lady business suits but the skirt was entirely too short. I noticed that she appeared to know the bartender personally because every time he'd go over to ask her if she wanted another drink and they'd always chat for a while before he came back and prepared it. She was entirely too attractive to sit there by herself all night. I asked the bartender was she expecting someone. He smiled and told me he wasn't sure but didn't think so. Guess he was just trying to hit on her like I wanted to do.

I've had pretty good luck approaching Colombian women out of the blue. They are usually very nice and flattered by my bravery. Even if they have a boyfriend they are always friendly and willing to talk with a stranger...especially someone who is obviously foreign. I waited until she almost finished her drink, asked the bartender what she was drinking and told him to put one on my tab and give me another beer. He prepared the drink and cracked open another beer for me. I grabbed them and made my way over to her table. The bar I was sitting at was probably about 30-45 feet from where she was sitting so I could tell she was attractive (I need glasses but don't wear them because I hate it), but as I got closer her true beauty started to reveal itself. She was ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! Beautiful face, hazel eyes, long dark brown hair with blonde highlights, flawless makeup and a body to die for...especially those legs. LAWD HAM MERCY THOSE LEGS!!!!!!

About half the distance to my destination we made eye contact and I think she realized I was coming over to her. She gave a welcoming smile. That definitely calmed me down a bit. I have no fear whatsoever of approaching women...in South America or the States. But when a girl is really attractive I get sort of a rush from it. My heart speeds up and I get that "rollercoaster" feeling in my gut. I sat her drink down on the table, took a seat and said,

"El tiene que ser un idioto"

"Quien?," She asked

"Pues, el hombre que le tiene a usted esperando" I said.

Took her half a second to appreciate my pick up line, but she eventually gave me a giggle. By the way fellas...that one works in every language for a nice looking lady that's sitting somewhere alone. I've gotten rejected before but I always get a smile. I took a sip from my beer, let my self-confidence marinate for a second and we started to talk. She told me she was a student from Medellin (OF COURSE!!!) and she was in Bogota doing an internship. I bought her one more drink but after that she told me she had already had four and didn't want to get drunk. I watched the bartender prepare the two I paid for and there may have been half a shot of liquor in each but whatever...at least she's not a party girl right. She asked me was I staying in the hotel and I told her yes. Definitely a good question, RIGHT?!!! Nope. After about 45 minutes of conversation she begins talking about her boyfriend in Germany. "DAMN!!!!" I thought...I didn't mind though. It was a pleasure speaking with her. Although she was very serious about him she didn't want to get married yet. She offered to show me pictures of him but I declined. When she asked why I told her because I was envious. She got that joke immediately. After about two hours of conversation the bar was closing. I don't think either of use realized what time it was. She was renting an apartment around the corner from the hotel so I walked her outside to catch a taxi. She gave me a kiss on the cheek, told me she hoped to see me again and then left. I almost shed a tear watching that taxi drive away. I thought she might give me a look back through the back window, but nope. Not a chance. Oh well, on to the next one.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:26:24 AM »
Re:

>>Nice post, glad to see another 30 year old posting!<<

As soon as I find my teeth, I'm gonna bite Colganda's ass! :o :D
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Colgando

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 04:13:54 PM »
Benjio, that was a good night at the bar, well done! ;)

Offline whitey

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »
You've got more guts than me ... I was never able to walk up and start talking to women in bars ... even though colombianas are generally pretty approachable.

I'm curious ... what do you think was the deal with that woman?  Beautiful woman, alone in a hotel bar, sitting long enough for 3 drinks prior to you coming over?

Can't wait to hear about Rio ... it's in my top 5 list of places to see in the world.
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline Colgando

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
Re:

>>Nice post, glad to see another 30 year old posting!<<

As soon as I find my teeth, I'm gonna bite Colganda's ass! :o :D

Jejejejeje.... :o

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »

Hey Benjio, there is no such thing as a "too short skirt"! hehehe.... :D

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »
Welcome aboard Benjio!
I think you've got 'the knack' alright!
Also looking forward to hearing about Rio--I hear there are many different elements to the place.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline benjio

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 06:19:19 AM »
You've got more guts than me ... I was never able to walk up and start talking to women in bars ... even though colombianas are generally pretty approachable.

I'm curious ... what do you think was the deal with that woman?  Beautiful woman, alone in a hotel bar, sitting long enough for 3 drinks prior to you coming over?

Can't wait to hear about Rio ... it's in my top 5 list of places to see in the world.

There's nothing in this world that gives me a bigger rush than approaching a beautiful stranger. You have to use that fear, that strange sensation in your gut. You have to think of something clever to say to break the ice, or sometimes I just walk up, tell a girl my name, apologize for bothering her and then tell her I think she's very attractive so I wanted to introduce myself. I've ran across some "female dogs" in the states that really got offensive and wanted to insult me, but like anything else you get use to it. It's like my old man told me once, "The worse thing that can result from you approaching a women is her telling you, "no." That's it...one word. Colombian women REALLY like this. If you can muster the nuts, approach a group of Colombian girls and single one out. I guarantee you all their mouths will drop. They just aren't use to such audacious behavior, but they enjoy it and respect it a lot more than your average cat call, hiss and whistle from a Colombian guy. I challenge every single man on the board that's looking for love in Latin American to try it:

"Hola, como esta usted. Lo siento muchisimo por molestarle, pero cuando yo le vi a usted, yo me tenia que presentar. La verdad es que yo nunca he visto a una chica mas bonita y me encantaria conocerle mejor. Estaria bien si yo le llamara a usted algun tiempo?"

Try it 10 times a day and I guarantee four phone numbers.

Whitey, I will not lie to you. Prepago crossed my mind before I walked over. I didn't mention it in my earlier post because after speaking with her I don't believe she was working an angle. But her interactions with the bartender prior to me walking up to her along with how attractive she was lead me to believe she might be looking for a potential John. What better place to do it in a hotel that's constantly filled with American and European business men. However, at this point I'm pretty sure she was just having a drink and trying to unwind. From what she told me it was not her first time at the bar. I didn't realize it until I left, but a lot of people that aren't staying in that hotel drink at their bar because it's the only place you can get a cocktail in the area. That part of Bogota is almost entirely filled with office buildings and condos. On the other hand, I could be completely wrong and she just didn't get that monger vibe from me so she left. She MOST DEFINITELY fit the Prepago criteria. Who knows with Colombian women. Find one that always says exactly what she means and you have hit the lottery.

Gentlemen, Rio is an absolute dream. It is winter here so the temperatures average out at about 75 during the day and 60 at night...so no girl's in bikinis on every corner. There are definitely a much wider variety of jaw dropping, smoking hot women here. And ALL of them, and I do mean ALL of them have spectacular asses. I'm very fond of a girl here in the office that works for my company but she doesn't speak a word of English and I definitely don't want to get into any kind of trouble by saying something that might be misunderstood. Kind of wish I learned Portuguese instead of Spanish. But I'm getting better at Portuguese everyday. Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:46:58 AM by benjio »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 06:19:19 AM »

Offline benjio

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 06:23:36 AM »

Hey Benjio, there is no such thing as a "too short skirt"! hehehe.... :D

Researcher

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!!! LMAO!!!

Offline STM

• Probie
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 02:41:42 PM »
Hello, Are going to any other cities , besides Rio?     I hear Sao Paulo is big , like NYC.

Offline benjio

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 03:15:02 PM »
Hello, Are going to any other cities , besides Rio?     I hear Sao Paulo is big , like NYC.

I was in Sao Paulo for a day before I got here to Rio. Amazingly it was freezing there. I'm from Texas so anything under 40 degrees F is unbearable for me. I didn't get to move around much but it seemed like a nice city. It was one of the only major cities in Brazil without a beachfront so most Brazilians don't think much of it.

Offline Dan Las Vegas

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 01:27:29 PM »
Welcome to the board benjio,
For me Bogota has been quite enjoyable, but I still prefer Medellin, but since my novia is living in Bogota, i've been spending a bit of time there. She lives in an area in which I have yet to see another Gringo, but enjoy all the parks nearby.  Looking forward to your trip report from Rio

Dan LV

Offline dennislevy

• pick a realistic goal and do it.
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »
welcome Benjio!

you probably went to Andres Carnes y Res....the original is in Chia.....about 150,000 pesos for dinner....yes?

I ve never talked to a group of women sititng at a table, ive passed a note of admiration to one i liked with my  email address.....said somethign nice llike I can see you re busy with your friends,,,,,but I v ebeen admiirng your beauty.....

so far.............. using this technique Im 0 for 87.

jejejeje!!!!!!

Offline Micky

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
BenJ -

BENJ,  a man of class,  straightforward,  respectful,  intelligent,  no BS guys of all time.

In comparision Benj,  Medellin is like Rodeo dr.,  Bogota a K-Mart parking lot.  Repeating myself -  Mateo says,  "the one good thing about Bogota is the road to Medellin". 

Welcome Benj and your azz whoppin' is still waiting on you.

Micky
Don't crap on my 2 yard line!

Offline dennislevy

• pick a realistic goal and do it.
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 11:39:51 AM »
Mickey

And let me ask you...exactly HOW MUCH time have you spent in Bogota...to have such a HIGH opinion of it?

jejejejejeje
Dennis

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129