It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: 2nd Cali trip report  (Read 3188 times)

Offline bundy_138

• Latinas can be addictive....trust me!
2nd Cali trip report
« on: April 25, 2007, 02:19:39 PM »
2nd trip to Cali.  Flew American with connection in Miami to Cali.  Just as on my first trip, leaving the US and entering Colombia was a piece of cake.  Immigration was very quick in Cali and they even had a little table set up for your exit extension tax.  Took less than a minute for the stamp and on my way.  They baggage claim area was another story.....in Colombian time, 1 minute equals 10 minutes US time, so of course it took about 30 minutes to get my bags.  Plus, the sweltering heat of the baggage claim area as well as 200 people pushing and shoving to get their bags made it pretty miserable.  Got searched on the way out of baggage claim (first time ever) and felt pretty intimidated by the young guy (probably 18) holding an automatic weapon standing beside me.  He weighed about 110 lbs, but seemed much larger holding that gun!  ;D

My novia and private driver were waiting for me outside.  I hired a driver this time instead of taking a taxi. (he charges the same amount)  I'm not real crazy about the taxi drivers "driving skills", but I guess you have to get accustomed to it.  I got a number of a guy who lived in the US for 15 years, speaks perfect English.  He has a nice 4 door sedan (similar to a small Hundai) with tinted windows, AIR CONDITIONING, and I got to choose the CD or radio station.  I almost forgot how friggin hot it was there.  For those of you that are not familiar with the taxis in Cali, I took probably 60 taxi rides on my last two trips, only ONE driver had his air on.

Quick ride to the motel about 10 minutes away.  Got up early and the driver met us (Paola and I) for our 2 hour ride to el Lago de Calima.  I rented a lake house for the weekend.  I needed to "get away" for some peace and quite away from EVERYTHING.  The ride to the lake was an experience.  There seems to be no speed limit and cars go anywhere from 10 miles an hour to what seems like 100 mph.  Many obstacles to look out for, such as pot holes, horse drawn ?, I don't know how to describe them, could be a cart, could be a piece of plywood with wheels.  Do not forget the 1,000 motorcycles of all shapes and sizes with as many as 4 people aboard.  Going up the mountains was pretty wild.  Being stuck behind a tractor trailer going up a steep incline and watching the cars dip in and out of traffic is crazy!  Some people have NO fear behind the wheel.  Ever seen a 2 lane highway being used as a 4 lane?

The lake house is located in a gated, private area with 4 other private residences.  Each residence sits on about 5 acres and are on top of a huge hill overlooking the Lake.  It is directly across from the town of Darien which is beautiful at night.  If you like to see and hear tropical birds, feel the wind blow, and the sound of the waterfall on the property, you will love it there.  You are so high in elevation, the house sits in the clouds.  It is surrounded by pastures with grazing cows and horses.  The website is www.lagocalima.net  The house looks much better in person than the pictures and is much more updated.  We had Direct TV, stereo, all appliances, pool, hammock, and there was no need for AC.  Being high in the mountains keeps the house a comfortable temp. and it does get pretty cool at night.  It rained the entire time we were there except for about two hours of sun on the day we left.  It never rained hard, just a constant amount to keep everything wet outside.  We lost power at night and the entire valley was pitch black.  I mean not a light in sight.  Very scary if you were alone.  All in all a great place to be. 

Driver came and picked us up and went back to Cali.  Trip back was just as crazy.  I was looking for a nice apartment in the city and the driver said he knew a women with some nice apartments for rent.  They run 125.000 cop per night which is about $60 dollars.  He called her for me and she said they were all booked.  She told him she just finished remodeling a huge apartment in barrio Santa Maria and no one was staying there.  This is a six bedroom apartment in which each room is rented individually with private bathrooms, window unit ac's, cable TV.  You share a huge, modern living room with large balcony.  Apt. has live in caretaker (she cleaned my room and bathroom daily) and pretty much did anything else I asked, as well as a nice breakfeast, was 80.000 cop per night (around $35)  I will post the name and phone numbers of the private driver as well as the lady with the apartments when I get home tomorrow.

This trip I asked my novia to marry me.  I cooked a nice romantic dinner at the lake followed by a moonlite "relax session" in the hammock.  She didn't see it coming and it really was a night to remember.  Her family was very excited, except for her brother and his novia.  (I was unaware that a few days earlier there was a huge fight between them because they have been dating for 10 years and he has yet to propose).  I having been dating Paola less than 1 year and we are engaged.  Other than that, everyone is excited about a nice, traditional church wedding in Cali.  I attempted to explain to them that is would be a few months before that would happen, say 6 - 8, but they didn't quite get it.  They were expecting it in a month.  Oh well, hopefully Paola can fill them in!

Didn't do to much except for Chipechape for lunch and shopping, El Corral for my favorite hamburger Hawaiian, and another restaurant close to LA Flora Exito for banda paisa (sp?)  Drank my share of 1.000 cop Poker cervezas and went to Alameda for souvenirs.  If you have never been there, gotta check this place out.  It is like the wild west with a flea market/swap meet feel.  You can buy anything from a bike tire to fresh veggies.  It is in a business section of town and is DIRT CHEAP!  They have the same stuff you see in the airport gift shop in Cali at a fraction of the cost.  I spent about $150.00 and bought enough stuff to decorate my apartment.  Some shady looking fellows around, so I do not recommend going alone.  Don't eat there either......yuck.  Just looking at some of the s*at they were cooking made me want to barf.  It looked like one of those Asian markets that sells dead animals at one end of the table and cooking it on the other end.  Not very pleasant.  There were also some neat voodoo like vendors there selling all kinds of crazy stuff.  I bought a "door knocker type thing" made with snail shells, dried garlic bulbs (no smell) and some type of red berry.  It's purpose is to hang on your door and when someone enters, it makes a rattling noise and scares away evil spirits and bad energy.  I bought it because it looked cool.  Hell, it might be for something out of the ordinary.  Oh well, after all, I am a tourist.

Left with private driver driving Paola and I to the airport.  As always, arrived three hours early and waited in line forever.  I was in line behind about 10 people waiting to go to the AA check in counter.  I watched as each one waited and approached the counter as their turn came. As soon as I got to the front of the line, a damn military guy decided to get up from behind his paper, comes to me and asks for my passport.  He asks if I speak Spanish and I say no (a bad gringo move), he then asks "Not even a little", and I say "yes, a little".  He asks about my baggage, why am I there, who I was with etc, etc, etc.  Second dumb gringo move, I understood everything he was saying and acknowledged so.  He then says he needs to check my bags.  OK, cool with me.  Well 30 minutes later and after dumping everything out of my luggage (which by the way took me three hours to pack so my decorations wouldn't get broken in transit) he says OK and lets me go.  Man, I was pissed.  Then after clearing immigration, I'm waiting in line at the security checkpoint and another military guy pulls me out of line and asks me 100 questions.  He then calls his friend over and has his dog sniff me up and down and goes thru my carry on.   OK, cool.  When I get to the security line, I'm grilled again by some military type guy and he shakes me down and goes thru my carry on.  In a matter of 30 yards, I was partically stripped searched three times.  On my first trip, no one even looked at me, this time, you would think I had 15 lbs of coke in my front pocket.  Oh well, must be a reason.     

All in all, great trip.  Never felt uneasy (except leaving the airport) or in danger at any time.  I told Paola up front that I needed to be careful and she knew exactly where a gringo should and shouldn't go.  I agree with Daytrader, I felt more comfortable in Cali then I do in my own city (Jacksonville Beach, Florida).  There is something very comforting about Cali.  Those that don't agree, try leaving Ave. Sexta for a day and see the city.  It is a wonderful place with much to see.  Oh yeah, has anyone on this board mentioned the women?  Overfished my ass!  If it is, then I'm a Chinese Jet Pilot!   ;D

Oh yeah, some guy had MUDD BUTT in the airplane toilet and somehow managed to [snip] on the floor and wall.  Needless to say, the plane smelled great, especially during lunch.  That was about as much excitement as I could handle.  Man, I love Cali!   ;)

Bundy       

If you don't take care of your woman, someone else will.  (Bundy)

Offline Dan Las Vegas

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: 2nd Cali trip report
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 03:58:35 PM »
Hey Bundy,

Great trip report, looking forward to hearing about the wedding plans.

Good luck!!

Dan

Offline fathertime

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 04:10:21 PM »
Well 30 minutes later and after dumping everything out of my luggage (which by the way took me three hours to pack so my decorations wouldn't get broken in transit)
Sounds like you are in touch with your feminine side!  I normally throw it all in there, leaving the underpants for last, sunny side up as a deterrent to a time consuming search.

I spent about $150.00 and bought enough stuff to decorate my apartment.
Oh yeah, some guy had MUDD BUTT in the airplane toilet and somehow managed to [snip] on the floor and wall.
You must have been furious that you wasted all that cash, when there was such an inexpensive and natural alternative!

Good job roping in your woman and thanks for the report.

Fathertime!

09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 04:10:21 PM »

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 07:10:15 PM »
Great trip report Bundy!!

I can relate to getting searched in Cali... this happen to me several times and just like you...multiple times by different military as I was going through the airport.

A few years back I was at the Bogota airport with my good friend who is Bolovian heading back to the USA. Next thing I know my frieind was gone the minute I turned my back at the airport. Fifteen minutes later he comes back in the line and tells me immigration security made him X-ray his stomach or they would not allow him to get on the plane!!!!

I never had issues in Peru.....only Bogota and Cali...

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 07:52:14 PM »
Hey Bundy thanks for the trip report, it brought back a lot of memories!  Yes, the airport has 3 security checks, sometimes you get nailed each time...I fly Avianca always when leaving Cali...and never get bothered by the security staff...if possible try Avianca next time.  I like FatherTime's advice...try to pack when leaving so it's easy for them to go through it without too much trouble. 

I like that you used a professional driver....me too, wouldn't do it any other way, and my driver's car is new and the A/C is always on! 

Smooth move cooking dinner and buttering her up before popping the question...good luck with the inlaws! 

I find Cali relaxing as well, most of the main areas are fine to hang if you know what you are doing. 

Congrats!

DayTrader

Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

Offline sean126

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 09:48:09 PM »
Mudd butt....LOLOLOLOLOLOL, that's a good one!!!!

Nice trip report dude.  I can relate about getting checked alot.

I'm very happy that you found the right girl....I think she found a good guy also.

Offline rpcv

• Opted-Out
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 06:41:38 AM »
When I get to the security line, I'm grilled again by some military type guy and he shakes me down and goes thru my carry on.  In a matter of 30 yards, I was partically stripped searched three times.  On my first trip, no one even looked at me, this time, you would think I had 15 lbs of coke in my front pocket.  Oh well, must be a reason. 

Excellent trip report Bundy and congrats on your engagement! I can empathize with you about security. On my first trip from Cali back to the USA, they x-rayed my stomach. The last 2 trips I flew first class home and didn't have any problems. :)

Offline fathertime

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 08:00:26 AM »
This is kinda gross, but my buddy was having MAJOR stomach issues early in his trip so he took some medication and later become very constipated.  When he was leaving Colombia they x rayed his stomach and all the attendants were laughing at him about how full his bowels were from top to bottom.

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline valleydude

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 12:28:37 AM »
Good Report!

I never had any problems coming or going except for in Cartagena.
The first time, I was put through the ringer upon leaving.
That guy asked me any and every question he could think of.
After I was done, other people were asking me what happened and that they have never seen that.

When I can, I always speak in Spanish. It's bad, but I respect that I am in another country and try 100% of the time to speak in Spanish. However in the airports it is 50/50.

This guy in Cartagena was just just going off. He asked me if I spoke Spanish, I said I always try and sometimes it is difficult. He then asked if I prefered English. I said: "Ok". A couple of times I shifted from English to Spanish and then he went off telling me that he could speak Italian, French, or German if I prefered one of those. When we agreed on English. He then asked me to teach him some English and that he enjoyed it.

After it was all said and done, he reached his hand out, introduced himself, and called me his friend. I saw him again this past trip and wanted to say hi and see his reaction but I just wasn't feeling up to it. Next time I am going to do it.  (I still have no idea if this guy was serious or what his motive might have been.)

This past time in Cartagena again, a different guy went through all my things slowly and checked everything out carefully except he was cool about it all. I even joked and told him that I don't want any problems.... I am only taking one of their girls!

VD

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864