It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Tijuana's Rising Crime: Still Safe for U.S. Tourists?  (Read 6183 times)

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Tijuana's Rising Crime: Still Safe for U.S. Tourists?
« on: November 17, 2017, 06:47:05 PM »
Tijuana's homicide rate has been on the rise the last few years. I went there alone for a weekend in 2016. I had no issues but from what I've read things have only gotten worse in 2017. 

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-analysis/what-is-behind-spiking-violence-tijuana-mexico

Apparently 2017 is on pace to record the highest number of homicides since the "bleak" years of 2007 to 2010 and could even set a new record. Yes, most of the murders are related to the drug trade. Still, I'd rather see the a trendline that was decreasing or at least not getting worse.

This is disappointing because I was planning to go more often and take advantage of a place that is only a 2 to 3 hour drive from where I live. JWR has posted he is a regular visitor. I hope the next time he visits P.L. he'll provide his perspective.

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Tijuana's Rising Crime: Still Safe for U.S. Tourists?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »
Tijuana's homicide rate has been on the rise the last few years. I went there alone for a weekend in 2016. I had no issues but from what I've read things have only gotten worse in 2017. 

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-analysis/what-is-behind-spiking-violence-tijuana-mexico

Apparently 2017 is on pace to record the highest number of homicides since the "bleak" years of 2007 to 2010 and could even set a new record. Yes, most of the murders are related to the drug trade. Still, I'd rather see the a trendline that was decreasing or at least not getting worse.

This is disappointing because I was planning to go more often and take advantage of a place that is only a 2 to 3 hour drive from where I live. JWR has posted he is a regular visitor. I hope the next time he visits P.L. he'll provide his perspective.

The only reason to go to Tijuana is to drink (if your 18 but not 21), place sports bets, and go to the many prostitute bars. Other then that, the place is a [snip]hole.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 08:09:27 PM »

The only reason to go to Tijuana is to drink (if your 18 but not 21), place sports bets, and go to the many prostitute bars. Other then that, the place is a [snip]hole.

LOL..To each their own Chris. I am talking the women...the "normal" women (not prostitutes).  Since you are married there is no reason for you to go. For those of us single and looking: different story.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 08:09:27 PM »

Offline Chris F

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:34:56 PM »
LOL..To each their own Chris. I am talking the women...the "normal" women (not prostitutes).  Since you are married there is no reason for you to go. For those of us single and looking: different story.

I wish you the best while there Hector!   Have you connected with some normal women on the internet that you plan on visiting?

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 07:12:25 AM »

I wish you the best while there Hector!   Have you connected with some normal women on the internet that you plan on visiting?

Thanks. No, not really. But I went to T.J. in 2016 for a weekend and met a lot of nice normal ladies just being out on the town (bars/lounges/restaurants). 

Nobody is going to mistake Tijuana for Medellin or Rio with regards to its physical appearance. Not even close!  As JWR, who is a poster living in San Diego has said, there are plenty of single women in T.J.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 08:08:26 AM »
I keep waiting for the Mexican situation to improve or return to normal. Back in the day when I was driving down to Monterrey, their crime rate was lower than the US and Monterrey was safer than San Antonio. I don't think those days will ever return.

Offline rocket

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 11:06:44 AM »
I live in Los Angeles, and have been to Colombia 16 times, Every Trip being a great time. I plan on going back soon,
A Friend talked me into going to TJ in the meantime. I had not been there for a least 25 years, and decided all what the hell, There is a new Mall called the Rio and its very nice with restaurants shops, Cinema, and lots of great looking Girls. I could not believe the change.  The drivers  actually stop for pedestrians now, and we went to Club Hong Kong and what a display of Girls. at least 500 , and in every shape and personality. I was surprised.  The cell phone makes it a lot easier for them, at Mall or Club or whatever, They give you their phone number usually whasap. and you just call them.   These girls are beautiful inside and out and Have that unique Body you find only I thought in Medellin. Most are all natural. But yes you still do have the implants walking around. But many are just natural beautiful girls looking for an opportunity. They come from every part of Mexico and even a little Colombians. But the Colombians were not the best representatives.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »
^^Rocket: When were you in Tijuana?  Did you stay overnight or was it just a day trip?

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »
I have a good friend who was born in Mexicali and lives in San Diego. He refuses to go to Tijuana saying things are not safe there now. He goes to visit his Mom in Mexicali regularly. The crime rate is definitely lower in Mexicali.

By contrast, some Latino guys I know who live in Los Angeles love going to T.J. for the weekend. They have been as recently as a few months ago. They go to meet regular girls, nothing illegal or nefarious.

As I said, I was there alone for a weekend in 2016...but the crime has been escalating in recent years and is even higher in 2017.

Here is a story of a popular restaurant in the high-end part of town which was robbed a few months ago. This is not far at all from where I stayed. Nobody got killed but the robbers held up the employees at gunpoint and got the personal belongings of the customers. Of course, this was a "lucky" robbery since nobody was killed or injured.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017/aug/29/stringers-more-tijuana-robberies-more-murder/

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:44:17 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 05:53:23 PM »
i have a  few friends who go there  few times a month,  no problems with them.  if your being an idiot in TJ, you will eventually find trouble.

Offline rocket

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
Hector. I was there 3 weeks pasado.  I always have a Great time. I do not drink I let the young Guys do that . The Girls really do not like drunks same in Colombia. But yes I will be going this week. Have several great girls on Watsap that call. Its like anything you just got to be careful sober and nice. I do speak spanish  so it helps. The  girls come from small towns all around Mexico. They have a much better diet and look very nice. The pros are still around, But you can find very nice and beautiful sweet girls also. Its 2 hours from home. I drive into Tijuana make a quick Right and Park 5 minutes. from border. Never a problem. City has been cleaned up.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 06:20:28 PM »
^^Ok Rocket & Mudd: thanks for the info.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »
A few weeks ago, we had a 15 y/o shot dead, a couple of his friends wounded, at a McDonald's, in a 'good part' of town 4 mIles from our house. Been there a hundred times to grab coffee. Kid was an Honor student, football player. He got 'in the way'--they were gunning for one of his friends. We get 13 million tourists a year in our historic southern  city with a population of 148,000. Still, just about every week, another homicide, certainly several shootings. We don't even bat an eye when another one hits the 6:00 news. Routine.

You've got meth and gangs in rural areas like Montana, Wyoming etc. I have relatives there.

New Hampshire, ("N.H. motto: "Live free or die"), Ohio, West Virginia and now New Mexico, have the highest rate of narcotic overdose deaths in the USA.

I've been to more than my share of third world destinations, dive bars, politically, religious unstable nations, cities. But at least there, I always was a bit wary, knowing something crazy could go down and what to do, what NOT to do. Had a whole lotta fun too. (From what I remember, anyway, LOL)

But here in the USA, it's not any better, I'd like to THINK that it is better, safer, but my wife could get car jacked or worse in our modest ' Amenity Protected Community' at the closest gas station. In more exclusive 'gated communities' the kids of the residents burglarize and vandalize the neighborhood, but that's kept quiet.

Sooo, if I was single and having some common sense, Tijuana sounds just great for a few days. Back 'in the day', my single buddies and I saw some batsh!t crazy stuff go down in the Yucatan, back in the 1980's when it was wide, wide open.

When they started developing Cancun in the 1970's, THREE people lived there, and actually they lived on lovely Isla Mujeres, not where Cancun sits today, but just off shore. Hell, we drove all around in jeeps, but the Federales from the nearby military and fishing village of Puerto Juarez had machine guns bolted to THEIR jeeps! We still got into stuff, things, places, activities I don't even want to talk about. We had a lot of wild, wicked fun and we survived just fine.

Lemme tell you about when I lived in New York, about our forays into the South Bronx, chasing Puerto Rican hotties, if you want some scary crap---"Stay away from the apartment doorways---they'll pull yout in and eat you", we were warned, LOL.

My fav. story though, was when some skinny, white boy buddies of mine, back in high school, went a few blocks over, into Harlem, black as coal Harlem, to cop some dope. Middle of January, temperature in the teens, wind blowing hard on the mean streets. The 'man'--the dealer, instead of transacting a 'deal', whipped out a gun, made em strip frickin naked, giving up everything, even taking their basketball sneakers. They had to stand out there naked as jay birds, until the cops picked them up and called their parents to come and get em.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »

Offline Chris F

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 10:34:34 PM »
and we went to Club Hong Kong and what a display of Girls. at least 500 , and in every shape and personality. I was surprised.  The cell phone makes it a lot easier for them, at Mall or Club or whatever

Are you saying you met "normal girls" in Club Hong Kong?

That place is like the number one prostitute club in TJ

Offline JWR

• Divorced after a 10 year marriage to a Colombiana
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 02:00:27 AM »
I have no experience with the zona roja red light district of Tijuana.  There are scummy areas of every city including San Diego which I don't frequent either. 

I have a Mexican employee that has been working for me for 6 years that travels back and forth across the border, and lives in Tijuana.  He's always given me perspective about the violence in Tijuana and does confirm that the outlying neighborhoods are quite dangerous with gangs fighting with each other.

The discussion of violence does come up with my friends in Tijuana, and I've been told that the cartels have invested in many legitimate businesses such as restaurants, hotels, and malls.  I've been told that the cartels have put out the word of "hands off" the tourists because they want tourists in TJ to spend money in their legitimate businesses.  The cartels fight among themselves, but tourists are not a mark at this time.

When Trump came out with his immigration policy, I considered that visiting TJ may come to an end after the deportation of many violent criminals that may be angry, living in border towns, and trying to get back into the US.  The rise in violence there is not surprising as the criminal element grows in numbers.  I guess as I drive through Los Angeles, there's a couple less gang bangers, and as I drive through TJ there's a couple more.....

After living in Costa Rica, as well as Colombia, the one thing I've noticed is that usually people feel pretty safe right before something bad happens.  Unexpected things happen.  While I lived in Costa Rica, tourists on beaches were raped regularly, as well as other violent crimes.  I would meet people all the time who loved Costa Rica, and would defend how safe the place was.  I would ask them if they spoke Spanish and the answer was always the same......."a little."  It's hard to understand anything when in these countries without understanding spanish.   When I lived in Colombia, a guy was killed right outside my apartment one night.  During the shooting, I was on the floor.

I ride my motorcycle into Tijuana 2 to 3 times a week at least.  As I cross the border, my situational awareness goes up, and I fully recognize that being in the wrong place at the wrong time could be very bad.  When I stop at red lights, I make sure I'm not boxed in, and always have an escape path if things get weird.  I make sure I know exactly where I'm going, and don't get lost roaming around the city in neighborhoods I shouldn't be in.  I stay in the better areas of town, in the Rio area where there are many nice restaurants, cafes and clubs.

For the most part I'm not an expert on picking up girls down there because once I've found someone I like, I tend to hang out with them for a while.  One girl I dated for a couple years, and others for months. There's plenty of nice college girls down there that enjoy being with a gringo that treats them nice.  I've dated girls going to medical school, one training to be a pilot, a few studying business, and criminology.

If you do normal things down there, you meet normal girls.  This week, I had a complete physical exam at the Angeles hospital.  After a few visits to the hospital for tests, and appointments, I met someone nice there.  I had some dental work done last year, and met some nice girls in the dental office.
People are friendly.  Girls are not weird about you talking to them in a normal environment, and will go get a coffee with you.  Mostly I'm down there during the daytime, and usually I'm back across the border before dark.  I guess that a "hit and run" approach could work down there, but my approach has been to just make Tijuana a regular part of my life and spend time down there.  You either enjoy the culture, and the experience or you don't. 

I'm sure heading across the border is more risky then staying at home.  Everybody has there own risk tolerance.  But hey I like motorcycles, flying airplanes, sailing across oceans, and spending time with beautiful Latinas south of the border.  When I'm on my Triumph Tiger zipping through town on the way to a date, it's a rush. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:10:57 AM by JWR »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 07:42:05 AM »

JWR:  Great post. Thanks for the detailed reply!!

I make sure I know exactly where I'm going, and don't get lost roaming around the city in neighborhoods I shouldn't be in.  I stay in the better areas of town, in the Rio area where there are many nice restaurants, cafes and clubs.

Yep, the Zona Rio is the same area I stayed in. Everyone I know who is familiar with T.J. suggests that area (nicer, safer, less touristy, etc.). There was a hold up of a popular restaurant there in August but nobody was killed and the vast majority of the homicides take place in the "bad" parts of town. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:49:35 AM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 07:50:05 AM »

I'm sure heading across the border is more risky then staying at home.  Everybody has there own risk tolerance.  But hey I like motorcycles, flying airplanes, sailing across oceans, and spending time with beautiful Latinas south of the border.  When I'm on my Triumph Tiger zipping through town on the way to a date, it's a rush.

This last paragraph gets to the heart of the issue. I appreciate your honesty. Yes, the risk is higher. I was arguing with a poster on a tourism related site who was trying to claim the risks in T.J. were no bigger than in San Diego or Los Angeles. That does not pass the smell test.

Granted the number of U.S. tourists killed in T.J. is exceedingly low. So the actual increase in risk for getting whacked is not high assuming you are taking all the necessary precaution.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 08:10:24 AM »
According to the best info. I could find, the homicide rates in the following cities:

Murders per 100,000 residents (the Year is in parenthesis):

Tijuana, Mx: 45 per 100,000 residents (2016)
Cali, Co.: 51 per 100,000 residents (2016)
Medellin, Co.: 20.17 per 100,000 residents (2015)
Los Angeles, USA:  7.3 per 100,000 residents (2016)
Chicago, USA: 27.7 per 100,000 residents (2016)
Baltimore, USA: 50 per 100,000 residents (2016)
NYC, USA: 3.9 per 100,000 residents (2016)

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/jan/03/tijuana-homicides-reach-record-level-2016/

https://medellinliving.com/2017-security-in-medellin/

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
i know in mdellin, its much higher than the numbers stated. many are never found or never reported.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 03:11:17 PM »
According to the best info. I could find, the homicide rates in the following cities:

Murders per 100,000 residents (the Year is in parenthesis):

Tijuana, Mx: 45 per 100,000 residents (2016)
Cali, Co.: 51 per 100,000 residents (2016)
Medellin, Co.: 20.17 per 100,000 residents (2015)
Los Angeles, USA:  7.3 per 100,000 residents (2016)
Chicago, USA: 27.7 per 100,000 residents (2016)
Baltimore, USA: 50 per 100,000 residents (2016)
NYC, USA: 3.9 per 100,000 residents (2016)

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/jan/03/tijuana-homicides-reach-record-level-2016/

https://medellinliving.com/2017-security-in-medellin/

Don't forget St. Louis, MO, at 60. Baltimore's rate dropped after ray lewis left.  Deadliest cities are mostly in the south. Savannah, GA would easily top the list just about every year, if they just counted the city, where  99% of the murders occur and not the county 'greater Savannah' population. Charleston's off the charts  too. What's odd, is swank West Palm Beach FL is way up the kill list too.

But never mind 'lists' you never know where the grim reaper's going to show up, even if most people who kill do know each other.

Offline Chris F

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 05:47:33 PM »
The discussion of violence does come up with my friends in Tijuana, and I've been told that the cartels have invested in many legitimate businesses such as restaurants, hotels, and malls.  I've been told that the cartels have put out the word of "hands off" the tourists because they want tourists in TJ to spend money in their legitimate businesses.

Some of these businesses they are involved with is sex trafficking women to work in TJ. So, yes you are correct that the cartels want the money so it's "hands off" the tourist

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 05:02:20 AM »

Statistically probably n worse than Cali. Wold you go to Cali? I have no problem.

Ask the girls who live there. Ask people you know who have travelled there.

look at the stats.

Important to stay on the "right" side of the tracks, espescially at night.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 07:54:29 AM »

Statistically probably n worse than Cali. Wold you go to Cali? I have no problem.

look at the stats.

Yes, I have been to Cali. I was there in 2013 when I think the homicide rate was a bit worse than it is now.

That is why I posted those figures from various cities to give some perspective.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 07:54:29 AM »

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 09:29:44 AM »

look at the stats.

The people who live there are terrible advisers on safety. Back in 2003 my wife was telling me that Medellin was "muy tranquilo" even while she was riding a city bus that was hijacked by the FARC and the city was experiencing 7000 murders. She had a litany of other stories but continued to insist that nothing bad had ever happened to her. Obviously after my recent travels in Colombia the situation has improved dramatically but I would rather rely on statistics and the experiences of other foreigners rather than Colombians. They always say everything is "muy tranquilo"!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 01:06:18 PM »

The people who live there are terrible advisers on safety. Back in 2003 my wife was telling me that Medellin was "muy tranquilo" even while she was riding a city bus that was hijacked by the FARC and the city was experiencing 7000 murders. She had a litany of other stories but continued to insist that nothing bad had ever happened to her. Obviously after my recent travels in Colombia the situation has improved dramatically but I would rather rely on statistics and the experiences of other foreigners rather than Colombians. They always say everything is "muy tranquilo"!

Things are different now 16 years later, but when I was first visiting my wife's family, three hours out in the country outside of Davao City,  Mindanao Philippines,  I was warned. My late Father in law insisted my wife's 4 brothers, all well muscled farm boys, accompany me everywhere. We rented a van and the driver didn't know he was picking up an American until he saw me. We went through areas largely controlled by extremist communist and Muslim groups. To take the bus and risk being seen by the 'bad guys' at a bus terminal, wasn't a good option. Things are a lot better there  now, but I don't take anything for granted and I tap into local 'intelligence' as well as doing my own.

I went through an attempted coup de tat in Manila, with both sides having bombs, machine guns, the govt. having tanks, but that was basically an inconvenience,  as the two sides had no beef against the USA. But it was surreal, as I woke up, turned on the TV, saw what was going on, then looked out my hotel window--which was in the center of the high end shopping and financial district, and the scene on TV was exactly what was outside my window.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 338