It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Headaches with Dish Network  (Read 2450 times)

Offline John K

Headaches with Dish Network
« on: February 01, 2006, 02:09:18 PM »
I got the Russian Packages on Dish Network for my wife back in December.  It has been a series of continuous headaches ever since.

First, because all I wanted was the Russian channels and nothing else, I was forced to spend around $300 to purchase my equipment.  If I were getting one of the Russian packages, I could have gotten away with it cheaper, but to get both packages, I needed to get a "superdish".  Apparently, the packages travel on different satellites.

Installation was ok, but the way they hooked it up into the back of my TV made my cable TV look crappy.  I ended up rewiring the back of my entertainment center and now have acceptable picture for everything.

As far as the entertainment goes, Marina is less than thrilled with it.  The movies are either so old or so out of the mainstream no TV station in Ukraine would carry most of these shows.  There are occasional shows or concerts that are interesting, but that is far from the norm.

I've also had the "pleasure" of experiencing Dish Network's customer support.  During business hours, you'll catch a US rep.  After hours, you get the pleasure of trying to figure out what your rep from India is saying.  Every time I call them, I find one more irritation.  Below is a small log of my various headaches.

1) I had my service disconnected for not paying a bill, despite the fact they had already cashed my check.  They reconnected me, but tried to charge me a reconnect fee.  I had to talk to a supervisor to make them drop it.
2) They tried to force me to sign up for their basic channels, saying I could only get Russian packages, if I had the basic service.  Of course, this is not what I was told when I purchased the equipment, and again when I talked with the Dish Network agent who was setting up my channels during the installation.  I once again had to talk to a supervisor to get only what I wanted.
3) They tried to charge me a $5 a month rental fee on the equipment I had already bought.  It took me about 15 minutes of arguing with them, to get them to drop the fee.
4) When I went to drop one of the Russian packages, keeping the other one, they tried to add a "local channels" option on my package for an additional $5 a month.  I had to specifically object to this and demand that it be removed.

My wife and I are looking at an option at www.overseatv.com, where we can get 8 Ukrainian channels over broadband for $29.95 a month.  This is the same we pay right now for just 2 Russian channels via Dish Network.  The channels are also what Marina watches when she's in Ukraine, so she knows that they will be interesting for her.  If we do this, we'll cancel Dish Network and keep an eye on our dish, in case they try to "reclaim" our dish for themselves...

Offline pamoshtnik

Headaches with Dish Network
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 04:44:15 PM »
Been there done that!!!  They cancelled my Russian programming each month claiming that I had not paid my rental fee even though I owned the equipment.

You may want to check out Directv.  It is the competitor which has excellent customer service (domestic) and Russian.  You still need a seperate dish but you use the same tuner for domestic, Russian and HD (if you want it) for less than what I can get cable here in Chicago land.

Dish Network Sucks :evil:

Offline RickM

Dish TV vs. Direct TV
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 08:53:59 AM »
Right now,Direct TV is offering Russian TV broadcast.
Cost me $0 for installation and $0 for equipment as long as you already are a customer they'll do this for you with the consideration that you are upgrading your service.
It requires adding a larger KU Band Dish and upgraded receiver(s).1 receiver free and second rents for 4.99 mth for one yr.
After 1 yr.contract is fulfilled "ALL" the equipment is "yours" to keep.
(not 1 yr.contract on the Russian broadcast..you can cancel it at any time as long as you keep one other package)  
They have 2 Russian pkgs. available at $14.95 ea. or $25.00 for both.
We chose Russian Channel-1 for $14.95 and it's worth it's 150 or 160 dollars for the year,especially at holiday time...
At first,they wanted to charge for installation and equipment but I got on phone with customer retention dept. and nicely gave em choice to keep me as customer,give me Russian upgrade for free and I'll stay w/them another yr. and even spend the extra 15$ a month with them...Otherwise,I go to DishNet and they loose a customer completely.
They did it for FREE and even offered me 3 movie channels for 2$ a month each for 6 months...Can't beat that....

Planet-Love.com

Dish TV vs. Direct TV
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 08:53:59 AM »

Offline Apk1

Direct t.v. is the way to go
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 06:25:41 PM »
My mother in law is visiting for the winter...6 months...sigh...
  Since she does not speak English, except for "hello"...she needed some form of entertainment while my wife and I are at work, the kids at school, etc.
We contacted the local cable company, were told the only Russian channel was "RNA" and would cost an additional $15 per month to our current subscription. My wife was not pleased with the programming, so we canceled it and looked into a satellite network.
 To make a long story (trial and error) short...we have found that Direct t.v. is the least expensive and offers Channel one which has a lot to offer for my Ruskie mother in law.  Now if I can get her to turn down the volume...she likes it loud for some reason...then everyone in my home is happy.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5874
Latest: BillyGeots
New This Month: 3
New This Week: 2
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 399