It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: The Affordable Care Act and expats  (Read 1489 times)

Offline no comment

The Affordable Care Act and expats
« on: December 30, 2017, 11:45:56 PM »
The deadline for signing up for healthcare for 2018 at the government website came and went in mid December.  It was extended past the original 12/15/2017 deadline but it's closed now.  Just wondering how it is for Americans living abroad... do you have to purchase something or pay a tax?  I suppose some would like to blow it off but it could come back to bite you when you want to collect SS in retirement.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: The Affordable Care Act and expats
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:59:15 AM »
I don't know, but if I had to bet, I'd assume you have to. I assume also that any financial assistance towards medical expenses incurred overseas would not be covered by the plan. Hope I'm wrong.

They really don't want you to collect social security if you live overseas, they still expect you to file for taxes every year in the USA--- they really stick it to you.

At least some private USA based health insurance companies are starting to cover overseas care. They realize you can get top notch care, especially on things like knee and hip replacements (using parts from right here in the USA) for a small fraction of the cost here.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 04:20:39 PM »
The deadline for signing up for healthcare for 2018 at the government website came and went in mid December.  It was extended past the original 12/15/2017 deadline but it's closed now.  Just wondering how it is for Americans living abroad... do you have to purchase something or pay a tax?  I suppose some would like to blow it off but it could come back to bite you when you want to collect SS in retirement.

According to the stupid Obamacare law, you need appropriate insurance coverage or you will be assessed a fine. But I believe this only applies to US residents. You can not purchase Obamacre from the govt. exchanges if you reside overseas.

The fine, if it is assessed, will be due with your 2017 tax return. This WILL NOT affect any Social Security payments. Note: Your SSA payments will be the same whether you live in the USA or abroad.

For 2018, there will be no fines for not purchasing Obozocare insurance thanks to the Republican tax reform bill just passed.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the IRS ignores the fines for tax year 2017 also(?)

Ray
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:23:49 PM by Ray »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 04:20:39 PM »

Offline no comment

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 07:58:36 PM »
Ray, if you google "is the personal mandate in effect for 2018?" the response indicates that it is, and it's not until 2019 that it is not. 
I hope that SS isn't broke by the time I retire.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 467