It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Unplanned China Trip  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
  • Trips: > 10
Unplanned China Trip
« on: August 16, 2011, 02:44:41 PM »
This morning I booked my first spur of the moment trip to China - all of my prior trips have always been planned out several months in advance but not this one. Last night my wife and I were chatting with her parents and brothers via FaceTime and after we finished I could tell that my wife was a bit depressed/sad due to the fact that the Mid Autumn Festival holiday is coming up and she will not be able to spend it with her family. My wife is from Xiamen and there the Mid Autumn Festival rivals that of the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) in popularity and it is her favorite holiday.

This year the Mid Autumn Festival falls on September 12 although in Xiamen it is celebrated for the entire month. I very much enjoy it as well because of all the moon cake gambling that goes on every night at all the restaurants in the city.  I need to burn up a lot of vacation time by the end of the year anyway so I decided what the heck and booked us some airline tickets this morning. My wife doesn't know yet as I want it to be a big surprise for her  - I am going to try and keep it a secret right up until we leave.

We haven't been back to China in a while and are overdue for a visit so this will work out nicely. Ordinarily we would have gone back this past February for Chinese New Year but our son was born that month so of course we couldn't go.  I had to send my son's passport off to a visa service in Houston today in order to get his Chinese visa - we are leaving on September 4th which should be plenty of time to get the visa & passport back as it usually takes a week for me to get my visas back. I actually had to sneak my wife's National ID card out of the house this morning so that I could send a copy of it in with our son's visa application. So in a little less than 3 weeks, we should be in China.

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
Re: Unplanned China Trip
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:05:29 PM »
Have fun Cap!

Offline InnocentVixen

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »
Aww that is so sweet! she is a very lucky lady!!! I am sure she will be thrilled, not to mention her family to get to know your baby in person, congrats and have fun~

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »

Offline whitey

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 06:11:08 PM »
Wish I could be there when you tell her to see her reaction ... I've always wanted to surprise someone like that.

Have a great trip ...
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline Colgando

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »
I like it....may the wind be at your back and the sun in your face!  I think the saying goes something like that..
So let mercy come and wash away, what I've done

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:37:03 PM »
Wait.  Wouldn't your son be recognized as a dual citizen?  So he shouldn't need a visa if traveling with his mother?  Just wondering how that all works from the Chinese side.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 07:23:27 AM »
Wait.  Wouldn't your son be recognized as a dual citizen?  So he shouldn't need a visa if traveling with his mother?  Just wondering how that all works from the Chinese side.

China does not allow/recognize dual citizenship. Although my son could claim Chinese citizenship through my wife but only if he also does not claim US citizen as well. He always will have the option of claiming Chinese citizenship in the future if he so chooses but he would need to renounce his US citizenship & give up his US passport to do so.

My son and I do qualify for special Chinese tourist visas though since we are immediate family members of a Chinese citizen and that is why I needed to send in a copy of my wife's National ID card with my son's visa application. Ordinary Chinese tourist visas are 1 year multi-entry visas with maximum stay limits anywhere from 30-60 days and in some cases 90 days. However my son and I get 2 year multi-entry visas with a maximum stay limit of 90-180 days (depends on how you ask for it and which Chinese consulate issues it). We can also get 1 year residence permits as well once we are in China - we just go to the local police station where my wife's Hukou is located and fill out some paperwork to get them. I got one of those during an extended stay last year and it only took about 20 minutes to get it.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5877
Latest: WilliamAlorp
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 1
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 94