It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: MORE PESOS FOR YOUR DOLLAR ... BUT DON'T BE FOOLED.  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Aaron

MORE PESOS FOR YOUR DOLLAR ... BUT DON'T BE FOOLED.
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:46:51 AM »
Hey Guys,

I can understand the excitement about the jump in the exchange rate for the US dollar against the Colombian peso.

But, with the Colombian minimum wage increase, I see many situations where the increase in the exchange rate is off set by higher prices due to increase in the minimum wage. 

The fact is many ultilities, products, and services are allot more expensive in Colombia than ever before, with food prices increasing slightly.

Aaron

Offline Alabamaboy!

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: MORE PESOS FOR YOUR DOLLAR ... BUT DON'T BE FOOLED.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:29:42 PM »
Just got back from B'Quilla. Prices for things like taxis, beer, most food products, hotels, seemed like they were exactly the same as when I was there in June.

And when I was there in June the exchange rate was like 1650...and now like 2550. So a huge difference in my bottom line.

For example I ate at a typical Colombian restaurant near Jamies place. Had a piece of carne asada as big as a catcher's mitt, Yucca, a big bowl of rice with roast chicken/vegetables, two beers...and it cost 11.000 COP or $4.25 or so.

Prices for the bleacher seats at Carnaval were the same as last year.

A big bowl of soup at restaurant....1.500 COP or like 55 cents.

If you eat at high end restaurants...maybe it is different. But the regular food seems unchanged to me from the previous 6 visits or so that I have made there.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 130