It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: 1st post, but living in Barranquilla for the next year or more!  (Read 1220 times)

Offline mbison

Back in August 07 I began my adventure with a week spent under the care of Jamie and International Introductions.  I have nothing but good things to say about my experience there.   I will say one thing...however many days you choose stay, it will not be enough.  There will be too many choices and not enough time.  I still look fondly at a picture of me surrounded by 10 girls, looking like an episode of The Bachelor!

I came back in December for three months, this time on my own, intending to spend as much quality time with my girl as possible.  I say "on my own", but I was staying with some friends, a couple (both bi-lingual), including their 1 year old baby girl.  They were invaluable in helping me get up to speed with Colombia and getting to know my girl better (she speaks enough English for us to get by MOST of the time).  I am happy to say my girl moved in with me a few weeks after I got there and we have lived together ever since.  I am pretty sure this is not normal in Colombia to live together before marriage, but I can thank her Mother (and sister and brother for lying for me) for allowing it to happen.  It was a secret from the Father... this did come back to bite me on the ass a little later!

I had some incredible experiences over the holidays...Christmas, New Years, and of course Carnival.  I dare say it felt more Christmasy around here than in California.  Whats funny is how fast Carnival decorations went up after New Years.  My hosts younger sister won second place in the contest for the Queen of the Carnival(La Unión!).  I did run into Quixote9 a few times (I'm Mickey) also in February, the first time because he was going out on a date with a friend of my fiance, and the second time going to movies on another date (its a small world!).

So here, I am...I just signed a year lease on an apartment a few weeks ago.  I won't go into too many details, but they don't make it easy here for gringos to rent, even after offering to pay for 6 months in advance.  In the end, the father rented the apartment for me and I believe he had to put this house up in case I don't pay. 

I am happy to meet up with anybody thats in town for drinks, dinner, or whatever.  Barranquilla's a bit light on English speakers and my Spanish is still pretty much non-existant unfortunately.

Mickey

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864