It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Colombiano - Kind Of  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Micky

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: Resident
Colombiano - Kind Of
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »
A week and a half ago I rolled on into Bogota and got my 'permanent status',  resident visa!!!  NO MORE PAPERWORK FOR ME!!!!!  The only restriction that I have now is that I can't be out of the country for more than two years without losing my 'resident visa'.  Oh yea,  life is sweet!

Micky
Don't crap on my 2 yard line!

Offline whitey

• Trips: > 10
Re: Colombiano - Kind Of
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
Congrats Micky ... to bad you had to leave la Cuidad de la Eterna Primavera to go to crappy ole Bogota! ;)
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline V_Man

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 06:36:32 PM »
Congrats Micky!!! 8)

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 06:36:32 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
Congrats Micky,

I always considered you 'Our man in Bogota'--now it's official!!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline stnmasn

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »
Hello Micky,
I have met with a lawyer in Cali to discuss the steps needed to apply for my resident visa. He informed me that it wasn't that difficult a process. I will be hiring him to aid me in the process. But wondering if it is really necessary.

I am wondering how your experience was in securing your resident visa.
How tedious was it and how much time did it take?

Also wondering why life is so sweet now that you have the visa?

Offline Micky

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »
I do not think that a lawyer is needed.  BUT,  if you have the extra money and can just pay to have someone else do the work,  why not?  What type of visa are you looking to get?,  spousal,  retirement,  business, student?  Paper work needed and requirements are,  of course,  different for what you are trying to get.  There is a company here in Med, 'Inter - Col',  the lady that owns the place is licensed,  like a notaria,  but for doing different types of visas.  So you pay them to do everything,  you do not even have to go to Bog,  they do it all. Her charge for my 'resident' visa was 400,000 COP,  plus the cost.  I had done my own before and it is not all that complex,  I always just triple check the requirements and get it done.

"Life is sweet" - Because now I do not have to worry about - IF,  WHEN,  HOW they change the laws.  I am extremely attached to my son here,  now I am a little more comfortable knowing that with my 'new'  status that there is no 'if I have to leave for some ungodly,  Colombian reason.  Plus everything else,  banking,  buying property,  school,  etc,  all tons easier.  And I do not HAVE to get a round trip ticket,  either way.  No more temporary visas,  extentions,  more paper work and fees every time you file one.  When you are 'temporal',  you can not be out of the country for more than 180 in any given year,  so do not get even close to the 180. Someone in the MRE does not know how to count and then I have to go back to 'square one' -  no more of any of that.

Micky

Offline stnmasn

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:26:25 AM »
Hey Micky,
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I am looking to get the "resident" visa, That is what i was advised by the lawyer I have been talking to in order to be able to do what I want to do business wise in colombia. It is great to hear that the process insnt that complex. 
I am the type of guy that will pay someone to do it for me and I like the idea of the company in Med, 'Inter-col'. I wonder if there is a branch in Cali or if i should contact the lady in Med.?
I apologize for asking but you dont happen to have contact info for her office ?  Her price is substantially less thn the lawyer wants for doing essentially the same thing by the sounds of it.
Does she take care of the paperwork that may be needed in the USA. I understand that I will have to visit the consulate in the USA also, with wife, to present my petition.
I was also told that it is better if i go to bogota personally also to present petition, but i'd rather not if not necessary.

Micky once again thanks for your reply and I now understand why life is sweeter for you. Good Job ol'boy!

Micky if you have the contact info for the ladi in med. i would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
stnmasn

Offline buencamino

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
This page in English from the Ministry of Foreign Relations may help;

http://www.cancilleria.gov.co/en/services/colombia/visas/resident/qualified   Yes getting the permanent resident visa eliminates the annual hassle of renewing the Temporal TS visa but there is still the minor hassle of remembering to renew your cedula every five years and if you're just a week late you'll pay a hefty fine. Also I don't know if it's nation wide but in Cali at least Migracion Colombia is more than a year behind in delivering an actual cedula. Instead they give you a paper "contraseña" which has to be laminated in plastic since it will have to function as a cedula for a long time.  It does of course have all the legal legitimacy of a real cedula for banking, travel etc.

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:38:22 AM »
Dewd, I envy your ability to live in the country of your choice like that.   8)
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline Alabamaboy!

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »
I do not think that a lawyer is needed.  BUT,  if you have the extra money and can just pay to have someone else do the work,  why not?  What type of visa are you looking to get?,  spousal,  retirement,  business, student?  Paper work needed and requirements are,  of course,  different for what you are trying to get.  There is a company here in Med, 'Inter - Col',  the lady that owns the place is licensed,  like a notaria,  but for doing different types of visas.  So you pay them to do everything,  you do not even have to go to Bog,  they do it all. Her charge for my 'resident' visa was 400,000 COP,  plus the cost.  I had done my own before and it is not all that complex,  I always just triple check the requirements and get it done.

"Life is sweet" - Because now I do not have to worry about - IF,  WHEN,  HOW they change the laws.  I am extremely attached to my son here,  now I am a little more comfortable knowing that with my 'new'  status that there is no 'if I have to leave for some ungodly,  Colombian reason.  Plus everything else,  banking,  buying property,  school,  etc,  all tons easier.  And I do not HAVE to get a round trip ticket,  either way.  No more temporary visas,  extentions,  more paper work and fees every time you file one.  When you are 'temporal',  you can not be out of the country for more than 180 in any given year,  so do not get even close to the 180. Someone in the MRE does not know how to count and then I have to go back to 'square one' -  no more of any of that.

Micky

Micky what is the name of the attorney that you used? Is she in MDE? I used a female attorney there to do my spousal visa for myself and she was great. It saved me a lot of hassle. Her name was Laura Beatriz Pena.

Offline Micky

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »
StM - AB -

She is NOT a lawyer.  As I said she is kin to a 'notaria',  but only for 'visas'.  They may have other offices in the country,  I do not know.  Plus they do have a web site,  have not looked at it,  but will put it down.  I used her four years ago.  I was in the middle of remodeling this apto and did not want to take the couple of days to go to Bog.  I had no problems with them.

www.inter-col.com

Inter - Col
Calle 34 - No 66B - 105
(one block from Unicentro)
B. Laureles - Medellin

Martha Cuellar
444 46 59
310 359 40 64

Micky

Offline Micky

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 02:22:25 PM »
STM -

I am guessing that your wife is Colombiana.  You will first have a 'temporal'  visa, issued for two year period,  then another 'temporal' -  when you have three years living here (consecutive, no more than 180 days out of the country in any one year) then you will get the 'resident'  visa.  The three year period starts when the first 'temporal' visa is issued.  The charge for 'temporal'  is $ 160 U.S.,  the charge for the 'resident'  visa is $ 300 U.S. (subject to change).  You can find all the requirements on the MRE web site.  Requirements for being MARRIED (civil,  religious,  documented)  is different and easier than the 'we are living together'  conjugal visa.
I will say that the MRE in Bog is pretty efficient for a gov agency.  I was number 17 in line,  doors open at 0730, I was out,  with visa in hand at 5 min to nine,  not bad.

Micky

Offline stnmasn

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »
Informative and very helpful. Thank you very much Micky.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »
This page in English from the Ministry of Foreign Relations may help;

http://www.cancilleria.gov.co/en/services/colombia/visas/resident/qualified   Yes getting the permanent resident visa eliminates the annual hassle of renewing the Temporal TS visa but there is still the minor hassle of remembering to renew your cedula every five years and if you're just a week late you'll pay a hefty fine. Also I don't know if it's nation wide but in Cali at least Migracion Colombia is more than a year behind in delivering an actual cedula. Instead they give you a paper "contraseña" which has to be laminated in plastic since it will have to function as a cedula for a long time.  It does of course have all the legal legitimacy of a real cedula for banking, travel etc.

Once you get your visa I recommend that you request your cedula in Bogota....took three days to get the real deal instead of a contraseña.

Offline buencamino

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 08:41:07 AM »
Yes they have fixed the system and you can now get a cedula in five business days in Cali.

Offline htown

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »
Good job brotha!  I'm planning to be in your town in May if all goes well.  And this time I'm actually going to stay for a while. I'll probably be trying to find the cheapest school I can find that will sponsor my student visa.  I got a contact with somebody who can get me a employee visa for a grand but I don't want to pay that much if I don't have to.
Dance with the one who brung ya!  :)

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864