It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Online job in Philippines  (Read 2067 times)

Offline william15011

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: None (yet)
Online job in Philippines
« on: January 06, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
Hello,

I moved here to the Philippines about two months ago.  During the latest hurricane in December I told one my co-workers that I was afraid.  They told a couple of other co-workers and I was told that I could not work in the Philippines.  I basically called there bluff and this morning they closed my e-mail account.  My question to the forum is this:
  • Do you know of any employers that allow Americans to work in the Philippines?
I have a teaching credential and a bachelors degree in mathematics.  I really like living here and I plan to get married to a Filipino.  This whole situation has caused alot of pain in our relationship because I told her I would have no problem working here. 

The  teaching job I had required that I work from 8am to 5pm (completely online), which I had no problem fulfilling (midnight to 8am here in the Philippines).  If I would have kept my mouth shut, I would still be okay, they only found out when I told them, which is why I tried to call their bluff. 

If there are schools or companies in the US that allow employees to work here, I would be honest.  When I was hired, I did not know I would be going to the Philippines and coming here I did not know I would really like it.  By the way I live in Dumaguete.   

William

Offline Ray

• Trips: > 10
Re: Online job in Philippines
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »
Are you on a visitor type visa? If so, I don't believe you are allowed to work there.

The only people I know of working over there for foreign employers were hired before they went over and all the paperwork/visas were handled by their employer.

Many of the ex-pats over there either work on line as freelancer programmers or run their own business.

If and when you marry a Filipino citizen, there are other more permanent visa options available to you.

Ray
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:23:34 PM by Ray »

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 01:36:10 PM »
Hello,

I moved here to the Philippines about two months ago.  During the latest hurricane in December I told one my co-workers that I was afraid.  They told a couple of other co-workers and I was told that I could not work in the Philippines. 

I may be missing something here.  You told somebody you were afraid, and that somehow made it to where you can't work?

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 01:36:10 PM »

Offline william15011

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 02:04:23 PM »

I may be missing something here.  You told somebody you were afraid, and that somehow made it to where you can't work?

Fathertime!

It was really just in passing, I had never been that close to one before (I was actually far away from it).  The way the clouds changed color and the wind was amazing. 

Offline william15011

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »
I have been doing some serious thinking.  I can go back to the US and find another online teaching job. Right now they are hiring and there are job openings.  I can keep my studio apartment while I am in the United States, so I have something to return.

Or I can live here in the Philippines, I have enough resources to live here for at least six months, however, my current girl friend does not want to live in the United States (we have been only seeing each other for a week and a half).

Which course of action should I take?  By the way, my employers have not really fired me, I told them I was living in the US, but still live here in the Philippines.  They want me to give them a call, however, I do not have a US phone number, so my next question is:  Is there anyone living in Dumaguete with a US phone number that I can call my employers?  I feel that once I speak with them, I will be able to get my job back.  I am a really good employee.

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 01:13:28 AM »

I would forget about trying to hide from a US employer the fact that you are living overseas.

You can find a lot of information and pertinent links about working in the Philippines here:

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha006.html#Work

Since you are living in a big college town (Dumaguete), you might want to look into providing private tutoring in English and/or mathematics. Most university students over there are probably on very tight budgets, but there are also many students from well-off families who may be interested in tutoring services. Maybe advertise in a local newspaper or campus publication?

I'm not sure about the legality of self-employment with your visa status, but I would check on that. To get more ideas, ask other ex-pats in your city how they earn a living.

Ray

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864