It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: "Sex Slaves"  (Read 5511 times)

Offline doombug

• VAWA certified to be 100% free of wife beating.
"Sex Slaves"
« on: February 08, 2006, 12:28:02 AM »
PBS just aired a Frontline episode titled "Sex Slaves".  

Stunning and absorbing would be understatements.

Women from Odessa, Ukraine, and from Moldova get conned into believing they're going abroad to work, but instead they end up in Istanbul where they're forced to work in the sex trade.  A husband tries desperately to track down his wife who'd recently fell victim to the scam.  Another woman--after escaping--voluntarily returns because of the financial straits her family is in.

Shocking misery for the parties involved; and even more shocking is the slap on the wrist one of the traffickers receives from the court.

The program will eventually be rebroadcast (as most Frontline episodes are), and will soon be viewable on PBS.org.

Here's a synopsis:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/slaves/

"I can get a great look at a t-bone steak by shoving my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."--Chris Farley

Offline Bueller

"Sex Slaves"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 01:03:17 AM »
There is good news to report, however, though the following article will cause even more dyspepsia of the soul to those afflicted with Bush Derangement Syndrome (people for whom hatred of George W. Bush is a fetish, a religion, the definition of their existence):

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=9370.

"Fifty years from now historians will be writing books about the Bush administration's war on the world's fastest growing form of international crime: the sex trafficking and enslavement of millions of vulnerable women and children within the United States and throughout the world. [...]"

Offline LP

"Sex Slaves"
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 08:24:51 AM »
Yawn.....you're kidding me right? Can anyone out there really be that naive? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

The sex trade is connected to the world's oldest profession and it'll be around till Kingdom come. Sex and everything to do with it in all it's forms isn't going anywhere. Dubya's war on this will be about as successful as the war on terror, the war on immigration, and the war on drugs. One can only hope his war on democracy fails just as miserably.

Your boy lacks only three things to become one of America's finest leaders: integrity, vision, and wisdom. His oath should have been: "I solemnly swear to tell the truth as I know it, the whole truth as I believe it to be, and nothing but what I think you need to know." Can't really blame him though as he's doing the work of three men: Larry, Curly, and Moe. In fact, the only thing that makes tolerating him at all is what historians will write in 50 years. It'll be the sweetest plum of all.

Course, it's not really his fault you know. Remember, "people get the government they deserve".
Actual consumer instructions: On an airline package of nuts: "Open packet, eat nuts."

Planet-Love.com

"Sex Slaves"
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 08:24:51 AM »

Offline doombug

• VAWA certified to be 100% free of wife beating.
"Sex Slaves"
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 01:25:01 PM »
Quote from: LP
Yawn.....you're kidding me right? Can anyone out there really be that naive? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

The sex trade is connected to the world's oldest profession and it'll be around till Kingdom come. Sex and everything to do with it in all it's forms isn't going anywhere. Dubya's war on this will be about as successful as the war on terror, the war on immigration, and the war on drugs. One can only hope his war on democracy fails just as miserably.

Your boy lacks only three things to become one of America's finest leaders: integrity, vision, and wisdom. His oath should have been: "I solemnly swear to tell the truth as I know it, the whole truth as I believe it to be, and nothing but what I think you need to know." Can't really blame him though as he's doing the work of three men: Larry, Curly, and Moe. In fact, the only thing that makes tolerating him at all is what historians will write in 50 years. It'll be the sweetest plum of all.

Course, it's not really his fault you know. Remember, "people get the government they deserve".

There's a difference between women who voluntarily engage in prostitution and those who are abucted, held against their will, and forced to [snip] for freedom.  But, you missed that in your rush to jump on the anti-Bush bandwagon.   It's so cool to rip on the Prez., eh? 8)    No need to concern oneself  with all the pesky challenges of the world.  Being a lazy cynic is so much easier.

"I can get a great look at a t-bone steak by shoving my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."--Chris Farley

Offline LP

"Sex Slaves"
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 03:27:54 PM »
Sorry, I don't do politics much. Not that I don't want to, its just that my First Amendment rights were trampled in the past by having my livelihood threatened by this administration. What a country huh?

You missed the point anyway. No one is going to eradicate the sex trade, not Dumbya or anyone who comes after him, especially when it exists outside our borders. Or haven't you noticed how ineffective we are at shaping other nation's policies, even those we invade? Besides, it's not the USA's job to be the world's policeman.

And yeah, not only is it cool to bash this poor excuse for a human being (let alone a leader) but it's my right. It also desperately needs to be done because the real lazy (and ignorant) among us are sitting back and doing nothing while this nut case continues to run amok.
Actual consumer instructions: On an airline package of nuts: "Open packet, eat nuts."

Offline pamoshtnik

"Sex Slaves"
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 10:16:14 PM »
Rather than continue to complain about everything at nauseum, which you are quite profitient at by the way, why don't you propose a solution or better yet run for office and see whose votes you can attract?

Offline LP

"Sex Slaves"
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 11:58:45 PM »
Sorry Pieceo[snip]nik, as I said, I don't do politics. I'll stick to what I'm good at. And in case you didn't know....the more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5874
Latest: BillyGeots
New This Month: 3
New This Week: 2
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 350