It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Barranquilla youtube video  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Ricardo1

Barranquilla youtube video
« on: October 06, 2017, 11:44:06 AM »
this guy has a lot of videos walking streets in Colombia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHygS2qE5Cc

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Barranquilla youtube video
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »

Found this video of traffic and horns to be a bit of a snore fest.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:13:03 PM »

Very good video for insomniacs. Looks quite a bit like the seedier parts of Miami. I was waiting, trying to stay awake, listening for expected clickity clack of dominoes being played by old men wearing straw fedoras. Just as I was about to snore, at the three minute mark, much to my surprise,  the large statue of George Washington appeared. I'd heard, seen signs claiming:  "George Washington slept here" in a lot of places, but I had no idea. I would've figured maybe Benjamin Franklin,  who being quite the ladies man, left a trail of babies everywhere he 'slept.' But maybe George, wooden teeth and all, had a leg up on him.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:13:03 PM »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 10:12:26 PM »
It's gets a lot more interesting on the southern side of the city. Of course this guy wouldn't dare walk around in those neighborhoods with a visible mounted camera on his person

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
Very good video for insomniacs. Looks quite a bit like the seedier parts of Miami. I was waiting, trying to stay awake, listening for expected clickity clack of dominoes being played by old men wearing straw fedoras. Just as I was about to snore, at the three minute mark, much to my surprise,  the large statue of George Washington appeared. I'd heard, seen signs claiming:  "George Washington slept here" in a lot of places, but I had no idea. I would've figured maybe Benjamin Franklin,  who being quite the ladies man, left a trail of babies everywhere he 'slept.' But maybe George, wooden teeth and all, had a leg up on him.

I was surprised that a school in Cartagena was named after George Washington....when I asked about it....I was told that George had a half brother that lived in Cartagena and that when his brother was sick....George came to visit him.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:03:16 PM by Calipro »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »

I was surprised that a school in Cartagena was named after George Washington....when I asked about it....I was told that George had a half brother that lived in Cartagena and that when his brother was sick....George came to visit him.

Thanks Calipro, you've always seemed to have an interest in and grasp of a lot of history, but as happened to me abroad a number of times, perhaps the 'locals' were embellishing a tale, maybe even one they'd heard. The proverbial  'local legend'....

But George Washington, at age 19, did  go to Barbados to see his ailing HALF brother. So, they got the sick, half brother part right, LOL. While he traveled a great deal all his life, including while President, I think that's the only time he left the USA. But no wonder I've seen so may signs saying "George Washington slept here" because he really liked to see the USA, embracing places here settled by foreigners that spoke different languages, etc. His wife slowed him down a bit they say.

Apparently and it suprised me, but from what some quick research seems to indicate,  Theodore 'Teddy' Roosevelt was the first SITTING  President to travel abroad, to Puerto Rico and Panama. Later on, President Woodrow Wilson was the 1st President to travel to Europe.

I'm sure that other US Presidents, OUTSIDE of their time in office traveled abroad, notably that high living Francophile, Thomas Jefferson, who spent years in France before becoming President.

Herbert Hoover was the last first sitting US President to visit Colombia,  in 1928. But a number of others have made the trip since then, including all of the last five US Presidents, not including Trump.

https://www.theglobalist.com/u-s-presidents-abroad/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:53:07 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Ricardo1

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 04:00:48 PM »
It's gets a lot more interesting on the southern side of the city. Of course this guy wouldn't dare walk around in those neighborhoods with a visible mounted camera on his person

Yeah, his videos are very tame.  And maybe for that reason .... he's not venturing out with his camera into strata 3 or 2.  his videos seem to be in the more upscale areas of the cities ... so he's not showing the environments of 'ordinary' Colombians!

Offline vikingo

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »
He is in the up-scale North of Barranquilla, estrato 5 or 6. A world of difference from the rest of B'quilla where streets are full of litter and sidewalks are so narrow that two people can't walk side by side. Washington Park is in the barrio of Villa Country.
His American accent is hard on the ears, he should have learned at least the Spanish alphabet before going on YouTube.
Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345