Forum > Forum News and Announcements

GROUND-BREAKING STUDY! Survey of Cross-Cultural Marriage and Divorce, RELEASED

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ray:

A few questions:

1. When we register for the survey, is the survey itself anonymous or is there a link between the registration ID and the survey submitted? I won’t be providing my telephone number on the survey.

2. Must there be a telephone number in order to validate the survey?

3. What’s to keep someone from submitting dozens or even hundreds of bogus surveys?

4. If there has been a 2nd cross-cultural marriage, can you submit 2 surveys with the same registration ID?

5. For the purposes of the survey, is an annulment synonymous with divorce?

6. Are there any plans to send a copy of the final results to the registration e-mail address?

Dan:

--- Quote from: Ray on July 16, 2008, 12:21:16 AM ---A few questions:

1. When we register for the survey, is the survey itself anonymous or is there a link between the registration ID and the survey submitted? I won’t be providing my telephone number on the survey.

2. Must there be a telephone number in order to validate the survey?

3. What’s to keep someone from submitting dozens or even hundreds of bogus surveys?

4. If there has been a 2nd cross-cultural marriage, can you submit 2 surveys with the same registration ID?

5. For the purposes of the survey, is an annulment synonymous with divorce?

6. Are there any plans to send a copy of the final results to the registration e-mail address?

--- End quote ---

>>A few questions:<<

Answers follow.

>>1. When we register for the survey, is the survey itself anonymous or is there a link between the registration ID and the survey submitted? I won’t be providing my telephone number on the survey.<<

There is a 'token' passed to identify the respondent. The token is anonymous, and there is no way - even in the deep innards of the database - for me, or anyone, to match the token with a person. The token, however, is how the system identifies multiple submissions.

If anyone is especially concerned about anonymity, they can always complete the survey manually and fax it in.

>>2. Must there be a telephone number in order to validate the survey?<<

No, the telephone number is requested for an instance in which that one survey might otherwise be invalidated. In other words, if all the validity checks on a given survey pass OK, then there is no need to call anyone. If one of the validity checks raises a flag, then there are two options - invalidate the survey and discard it - or, possibly (depends on which check is violated), call the respondent for clarification. The hope is to validate as many surveys as possible.

>>3. What’s to keep someone from submitting dozens or even hundreds of bogus surveys?<<

Firstly, there is the 'token' I mentioned in item 1. Next, there are a series of checks - some performed by the software, and some performed during the validation phase of the survey - all designed to ferret out any bogus surveys. Bottom line is to have a 'clean' result - and if there are questions about validity of a survey, it will be discarded.

>>4. If there has been a 2nd cross-cultural marriage, can you submit 2 surveys with the same registration ID?<<

The survey asks about the marriage leading to immigration. If *both* cross-cultural marriages led to immigration, then it would be up to the respondent to select one.

>>5. For the purposes of the survey, is an annulment synonymous with divorce?<<

In general terms, yes - although I suppose different jurisdictions may have different definitions that could lead to some confusion.

>>6. Are there any plans to send a copy of the final results to the registration e-mail address?<<

Not specifically. Plans for publication of results include posting them here, at RWD, and at GoodWife. We also plan to issue a Press Release once the stats are available. We will consider notifying everyone via email when the survey results are available and at least informing them of where they might find the results.

BTW - we are also considering posting periodic results as surveys are completed. I want to be absolutely certain there is no identifying information in the database before doing so - and am pretty confident that will not be a problem. I also want to check with the 'experts' to see if release of interim results might be seen as having an effect on final results, in which case I would not release them until the survey is completed.

Any more questions - fire away.

- Dan

Dan:
A quick status report.

Slightly more than 24 hours after I posted the survey notice here at RWD and PL - and a bit less than 24 hours after an email announcement was sent - we have at the moment 121 survey responses.

There is a press release scheduled in a few hours that is likely to not have an immediate effect, but will build momentum over a few weeks.

We are underway.

Thanks to those already completing the survey - and to anyone not yet taking it - PLEASE spend the 15 minutes (or less) required to add your survey to the database.

Finally, an appeal - PLEASE send the survey URL (webpage) to anyone and everyone you know. If you have groups that gather in your area, please make sure THEY all know about this - call them, write them, do whatever. Please take a few minutes to urge your friends/colleagues/partners/associates - anyone that fits the demographic we seek to complete the survey.

- Dan

Dan:
Quick Update Stats on the MOB Survey:

As of 19July2008, 12:16 PM EDT, we have 163 responses to the MOB Survey. Of those, 121 are fully-completed, and 42 are partially-completed.

13% of respondents are female - 87% are male.

Some interesting results from the current stats, but with such a small sample, they are not yet reliable.

PLEASE - tell all your friends. Call them. Write them. Let them know about this survey and its importance. I have been surprised in talking with friends here locally that SHOULD already know about it - and they do not! Make sure everyone you know is aware of the survey, and encourage them to complete it ASAP.

Thanks!

- Dan

Dave H:

--- Quote from: Dan on July 16, 2008, 04:51:54 AM ---
 I also want to check with the 'experts' to see if release of interim results might be seen as having an effect on final results, in which case I would not release them until the survey is completed.

- Dan

--- End quote ---

Hi Dan,

First let me disqualify myself as an "expert." But, IMHO releasing the interim results before the survey is completed could have a direct effect on the final results, thus invalidating the survey! As anxious as we all are to view the results, favorable or adverse, I believe the results should not be released until the survey is completed, the results tabulated and certified. It appears that you are thinking that yourself.

I will notify some orher cross cultural couples I know about the survey. Thank You for your efforts! Good Luck!

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version