It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: BAQ and Rodadero  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Alabamaboy!

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
BAQ and Rodadero
« on: January 10, 2016, 10:38:31 PM »
Just got back last week. Spent New Years and 4 more days at Rodadero. Very hot and sweaty as always during the day. Not comfortable to go for walking in the streets. The beach was fine. Very crowded of course. Water was good temp for playing all day. People from all parts of Colombia there for holidays. You can tell the folks from Bogota and Medellin, walking around in long sleeve shirts, wearing shoes in the water, wearing big hats, etc. But everybody was getting along fine. Very safe. No fights. Everyone drinking but nobody obnoxious. In evenings the police blocked off the beach for some reason. Nobody allowed even near the water, although on New Years Eve, they did permit folks by the water. Prices for rentals skyrocket during this period at Rodadero, but it was worth it in my opinion for the whole family to have a nice blowout time. Sad to report that the Colombians are gaining on us US citizens with the fat, ugly, out of shape folks. I saw more fat women on this trip than any previous. Seems like less music and dancing and more people just sitting, eating, and drinking. Supermarket prices seemed higher there than Southern California, even for vegetables and fruit. Colombian bakeries are still a bargain. Things like toothbrushes, eye drops, sunscreen, shampoo, all cost more there. Still does not look like anyone much interested in learning to speak any English. In general, I was treated very nicely and politely by everyone there at all times. I did not see any beggars or hobos in the streets like we have every five steps here in San Diego. Soccer still king of course. Nobody seems to know anything of any other sports. Children seemed to be well behaved when compared with kids here. All in all a pretty good time but Colombia seems more and more one dimensional and boring if you are already married. I could not wait to get back home. I enjoyed Dominican Republic better when we went last year because there were folks from different countries, different foods, many folks were able to speak some English, more US sports. I got a sense that folks in Colombia are making a little more cash than before, able to buy a little more material things, more food, but seemed like less genuine  "joy" on there faces than I noticed in previous trips.

Offline AndyLee

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: BAQ and Rodadero
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 06:34:56 AM »
good report alabama and I´m glad you enjoyed your trip.
i agree with your points about more fat and less joy. I´m even seeing more fat kids than I remember from just a few years ago. Trending after the US I suppose.
There is inflation going on here, even aside from the usual custom in Colombia is to raise all prices during the last week of the year. Things go up only 3 or 4 percent, but it makes a big difference after a few years. For example when I came here 6 years ago a bottle of beer was 1300, now its 2500, almost double.
You are absolutely right about things like shaving cream and eye drops and especially US made batteries costing a lot more here. Somehow it doesn´t seem like the US free trade agreement that was passed so rapturously has lived up to its promise of lowering prices, they only seem to be getting higher. Some of that is due to the exchange rate, of course. Which on the one hand is a blessing for expats but a near disaster for natives. They are still making the same crap wages they have always had and their buying power is shrinking while ours is expanding.
Still, though, I´d rather live here than just about any other place on earth, although I admit I have not yet visited Dominican Republic. Maybe I´ll try it this year.

If you are unhappy change something. Quit your job. Move. Leave your miserable relationship. Stop making excuses. You are in control.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:10:15 PM »
Everyone drinking but nobody obnoxious. In evenings the police blocked off the beach for some reason. Nobody allowed even near the water, although on New Years Eve, they did permit folks by the water.

I remember them doing that in Playa Mendoza after a drunk couple went skinny dipping at night and drowned. You couldn't go to the beach at night for weeks. I tried to find the article but I can't. Happened a few years ago. Not sure if it was for the same reason in El Rodadero.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:10:15 PM »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 01:34:50 PM »
Thanks for the report A.B.

Supermarket prices seemed higher there than Southern California, even for vegetables and fruit.

Since so many vegetables and fruits are grown in California I think that keeps the prices reasonable in Calif.

I did not see any beggars or hobos in the streets like we have every five steps here in San Diego.

I noticed that even in "poor" Managua...

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133130
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 222