It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Guayaquil, Ecuador, Aug 1 - Aug 11 2013  (Read 3585 times)

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Guayaquil, Ecuador, Aug 1 - Aug 11 2013
« on: October 22, 2013, 10:10:20 AM »
I went to Ecuador for my 31st B/day, and I'm certainly going back
here are just a few pics that I decided to post online.
[size=78%]http://imgur.com/a/Ss1ud[/size]

You'll have to know some Spanish to not get taken advantage of imo. next to nobody speak english. Perhaps in Quito or Cuenca there are more English speaking people but the 2 weeks I was there, I only met 3 total people that spoke English. Taking Taxis, ordering food whatever what have you will have to be done in Spanish.
The food in Ecuador was great, real fresh really good and not expensive.

The people. I actually traveled to a few of the barrios with the girl in the picture. It is a culture shock if you've never been in that sort of environment before. I don't think America has a ghetto that is any where close to what some of the parts look like. Having said that, the people really didn't pay me any mind. They came across as regular people that are trying to make a living like any one else. I also traveled smart, out side of my smart phone, I didn't carry expensive watches or jewelry. I stand 6'2 so I stuck out a bit but I didn't get hassled or robbed, it felt like any normal big city to me.

The women take pride in keeping themselves well taken care of and dressed. You will see some sub-par but for the most part very beautiful women. I had already met up w/ 2 but I felt my Spanish isn't good enough to really mingle w/ other women so I didn't really that much. I am class for Spanish and it's slowly getting better

Cost wise, its about the third of what cost in America. Ec. food will cost on avg of 2~3 bucks. American brands cost the same there as they do here. I had a hostel for only 28 a night and to get to anywhere in the city will cost about 5 dollars, their beer is only 1.20 for a like a 40 oz and its really good, or at least better than any american brew imo. I took 2k and only spent half and I was trying to spend more.

Offline beulah

• Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Guayaquil, Ecuador, Aug 1 - Aug 11 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »
Thanks for report.  That is some inexpensive beer they have

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »
Thanks for the enjoyable report. Nice photographs too. It's nice to hear about countries besides Colombia and the Philippines on P-L. There's a lot of wild lion tamers giving field reports from Colombia here, but not so much on countries like Ecuador, Uruguay and Peru, to name but a few.

I get the feeling that even speaking broadly, there are probably some significant personality traits amongst the overall population that vary compared to say, Colombia or Brazil.

Once again the utility of learning Spanish when venturing thataway is well expressed!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »

Offline kai #2

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 03:22:14 PM »
Thanks. I lucked out bit, I did some basics online. I went there speaking almost none, by day 6 I was having simple conversations, by the time I left I could say what I needed to say pretty well although numbers are a bit tough. I actually got lost in the Barrios and I didn't speak any English until I called the girls dad to ask for directions.

Offline whitey

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »
Thanks for posting the reports and photos ... glad you had a good time and are planning to go back.  The woman in the photo with you looks nice.

Ecuador gets rave reviews as a cheap retirement expat destination, helped in part because the local currency is the US dollar, so you don't have to worry about inflation running away on you.

Best motivation in the world to learn Spanish is to have a chica you're trying to communicate with!

Best of luck in your continued adventures ...
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »
Thanks. I lucked out bit, I did some basics online. I went there speaking almost none, by day 6 I was having simple conversations, by the time I left I could say what I needed to say pretty well although numbers are a bit tough. I actually got lost in the Barrios and I didn't speak any English until I called the girls dad to ask for directions.

That's a great story about getting lost. Talk about sink or swim! I like your attitude--you don't sound like you're 'full of yourself'--yet you've got the guts to head off the beaten path and get your feet wet. Whitey's a good judge on a number of accounts and I agree that the lady in your photo is pretty-she looks like a nice person too, as best a photo can convey.
Sounds like you really got the true taste of the place--hostels, not fancy hotels or for pay only guided tours.

Were you careful with the water--did you mostly stay away from street vendor foods? I had no idea they take the Yankee dollar! I thought everyone was running away from it! How was the airport--customs and security? 

I see that between Ecuador and Peru, there are also some nice beach resorts, where a room can cost as little as $20--$30 a night. The way I see it, if the cost of getting there (airfare-bus) is high, if I can stay a few weeks w/o blowing a huge amount of cash and still have fun, it's a bargain!

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/sep/07/ecuador-peru-beach-hotels-budget-accommodation
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »
I went to Ecuador for my 31st B/day, and I'm certainly going back
here are just a few pics that I decided to post online.
[size=78%]http://imgur.com/a/Ss1ud[/size]

You'll have to know some Spanish to not get taken advantage of imo. next to nobody speak english. Perhaps in Quito or Cuenca there are more English speaking people but the 2 weeks I was there, I only met 3 total people that spoke English. Taking Taxis, ordering food whatever what have you will have to be done in Spanish.
The food in Ecuador was great, real fresh really good and not expensive.

The people. I actually traveled to a few of the barrios with the girl in the picture. It is a culture shock if you've never been in that sort of environment before. I don't think America has a ghetto that is any where close to what some of the parts look like. Having said that, the people really didn't pay me any mind. They came across as regular people that are trying to make a living like any one else. I also traveled smart, out side of my smart phone, I didn't carry expensive watches or jewelry. I stand 6'2 so I stuck out a bit but I didn't get hassled or robbed, it felt like any normal big city to me.

The women take pride in keeping themselves well taken care of and dressed. You will see some sub-par but for the most part very beautiful women. I had already met up w/ 2 but I felt my Spanish isn't good enough to really mingle w/ other women so I didn't really that much. I am class for Spanish and it's slowly getting better

Cost wise, its about the third of what cost in America. Ec. food will cost on avg of 2~3 bucks. American brands cost the same there as they do here. I had a hostel for only 28 a night and to get to anywhere in the city will cost about 5 dollars, their beer is only 1.20 for a like a 40 oz and its really good, or at least better than any american brew imo. I took 2k and only spent half and I was trying to spend more.
Kai #2 welcome and thanks for the pics and posting. I think you'll find this process a lot of fun. Traveling, meeting these beautiful ladies and learning Spanish opens up a world of opportunities....

Offline kai #2

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 06:59:06 PM »
Honestly I didn't feel any more threatened there than any big city. Almost every night Id get drunk at cerro santana , take a cab to my hostel and then walk to this place called super burger or this street vendor for tacos and I never had an issue. I always asked for how much the can cost before I got in. I didn't normally carried more than 100 at a time. A lot of place don't take debit and ghere to the ATM all the time is a hassle. When I pulled my money out to pay, I always tried to keep it under wraps and not actually show what I had on me.

my stomach was up set but I never got sick, just my body adjusting to the different types of food, food not found here in  America. I never dream the tap water though.

I spent a lot of time in barrio Christ de Consuelo. The woman and her parents and some other relatives threw a party for me on my birthday. Ec people treated me like one of there own. Honestly when I left I felt I was leaving more behind there than id ever leave behind after 3 years in Dallas. It was great

Offline fathertime

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:23:50 PM »
Hi Kai!

Thanks for sharing those pics...the lady you are with looks really nice and attractive!  Thanks for providing the report and your experiences. 

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline gyounger

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »

It's amazing how well you can pick up the language once you're immersed and not hearing any English.
Good report.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 10:55:07 AM »
My Wife is from Quito and we spent a lot of time in Guayaquil.

I like it a lot. You posted more pics of the impoverished areas, but the Malecon area is super nice and close to some really great clubs and places to eat.

The Ecuatorianas are great and very family oriented and hard workers.
I am going on 7.5 years with mine and gets better all the time.

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline kai #2

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »
My Wife is from Quito and we spent a lot of time in Guayaquil.

I like it a lot. You posted more pics of the impoverished areas, but the Malecon area is super nice and close to some really great clubs and places to eat.

The Ecuatorianas are great and very family oriented and hard workers.
I am going on 7.5 years with mine and gets better all the time.

KB

You're right I didn't. In all honestly Malecon and Cerro Santana are the if not the only tourist places in GYE. I wanted to give people a more realistic p.o.v. Don't get me wrong, they are nice places but if you go to GYE you're going to go there regardless you know? I went to a few malls in El Centro (down town) y el mercado (the market) around GYE as well. if you go across the bridge to the East I want to say are some very nice housing complexes and a few more malls as well.

Offline davidgm50

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »
Hello,   Thank you for the trip report.
What made you interested in going to South America?    How did you decide on Ecuador form all the choices?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »

Offline kai #2

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »
Hello,   Thank you for the trip report.
What made you interested in going to South America?    How did you decide on Ecuador form all the choices?

A few things. The type of life style I could live, cost of living and of course women. I think for around 15k yearly you can live comfortably. I'm talking about eating out, going to the beach and what not. Guayaquil Ecuador isn't the most modern city in South America in terms of creature comforts but it has everything I would like to enjoy staying there. Also that particular city there aren't many expats as opposed to Cuenca, which is a big a deal because a lot of the people that decide to live there don't even try to learn the language or culture so they get looked down upon a bit. I simply don't want to be associated with that.

GYE is certainly not on a lot of peoples radar and it seems to be a really nice hidden gem. I also think that whole North West region is the best choice. Argentina looks like they are having a really hard time economically and Brazil is going throw its growing pains with equality. Esp since they bull dozed some of the barrios in anticipation of the the World cup and the Olympics not to mention they also rose fares on public trans and the people are rioting. Ec I believe is also the only S American country whose currency is pegged to the the dollar so that was !GREAT! We will see, I plan on Colombia for Xmas and Peru sometime next year. I might give Uruguay a look but idk.

The women are really nice looking and are pretty open it seems.

Offline kai #2

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 06:17:16 PM »
...forgot to add that Ecuador has a pretty low if not the lowest barrier to entry outside of marrying and Ecuadorian woman. A path to citizenship seems pretty simple by comparison and straight forward

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 10:49:54 PM »
Great report!  Thanks for sharing. 

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0