It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Feliz Ano ... Some Like It Hot  (Read 2303 times)

Offline euforia51

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Feliz Ano ... Some Like It Hot
« on: January 02, 2012, 01:46:13 PM »
While I think of something interesting to say about my third trip to Medellin for Christmas, I thought this photo displaying the perfect way to spend New Years would suffice. After Glory's cousin told me this street-side bon fire is a tradition of sorts, I thought it was best that didn't ask anymore questions. Instead, I'm going to just adopt this as my guiding light to a fabulous 2012. Best to you and yours as well...  ;)

Offline stnmasn

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
Re: Feliz Ano ... Some Like It Hot
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:16:37 PM »
It's too bad you didn't ask any more about the tradition. I asked about it in Cali and there they make and sell  crudely made scarecrows of sorts. They sell them all over on sides of roads ..they have a shirt and pants  stuffed with combustible materials,( hay, paper. etc.) and maybe some firecrackers. they make the form of a human with a head also and they light them at midnight. They call them "el ano viejo"and it signifies the passing of the previous year to bring in the new year.   now your pic looks like a bonfire to me but still maybe a similar meaning to el ano viejo in cali?

Offline euforia51

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »
It's too bad you didn't ask any more about the tradition. I asked about it in Cali and there they make and sell  crudely made scarecrows of sorts. They sell them all over on sides of roads ..they have a shirt and pants  stuffed with combustible materials,( hay, paper. etc.) and maybe some firecrackers. they make the form of a human with a head also and they light them at midnight. They call them "el ano viejo"and it signifies the passing of the previous year to bring in the new year.   now your pic looks like a bonfire to me but still maybe a similar meaning to el ano viejo in cali?
Hey there ... I can certainly ask my novia what the tradition is all about. I thought it was kind of funny in a way as it reminded me about the stuff you might have heard about in Detroit, for example. I also recall the scarecrows you mention; except in Medellin and the outskirts, they were selling these on the side of the road during the week of Easter. I seem to remember they were meant to be burned also at some point ... it just wasn't for the New Year. I'll try to find out more...

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »

Offline maritime04

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »
Last Christmas was my third holiday season in Medellin, I have never been around for the introduction of the holiday season or when they go nuts and start world war 3 with fireworks.  I have to say Colombians are definitely into holiday cheer, with decorations and lights. The whole city is wrapped in lights. I spent the last one with my fiancées family in Bello, which I enjoyed. It was a good to get to know her family more personally then you can with short visits, and it had been a good number of years since I stayed in a estrato 2-3 area, after getting use to the noise level and other issues, I felt right at home.
I tried to get them to listen to stuff like carol of the bells, jingle bell rock, dreaming of a white Christmas but they were NOT into it. I really do not understand Colombian holiday music; it’s basically the same music only with a few mentions of December. Oh well…
I did introduce them to monopoly’s Colombian version, which they enjoyed and played often. I have to say Colombian’s do enjoy family time, and show ability for family camaraderie, that you do not see in the states.
The parties were good, I guess there was a recent election coming up December 18th in Bello, so the politicians were trying to buy votes with aguardiente and rumba, they will easily close off a street or road with or without permission.
I grew tired of eating bunelos, and natila, they are good only when hot, and the other only when cold.
Gift giving is only popular with children and not so much with adults, but purchasing new clothes for 25th and 1st of the year is VERY popular.

Offline euforia51

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »
los alumbrados along the rio Medellin are world famous. And I am told other countries purchase the displays from the city for the following Christmas. Here are several pics taken from Pueblito Paisa and also along the river. The last pic is the waterpark at the end of the display. Of course, photos don't do the display justice ... it's huge!

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »
Fabulous!  Thanks for sharing!
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline stnmasn

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 08:24:24 PM »
wow..sweet pics....they go over the top with lights and decorations in Cali also. Its beautiful to see.  Thanks for the pics

Offline dbmcguinness

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 09:16:42 AM »
Nice pictures thanks for sharing.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0