It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Colombian Health Insurance  (Read 3141 times)

Offline John W

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Colombian Health Insurance
« on: July 01, 2019, 12:28:24 PM »
I am looking for some information on health insurance in Colombia.  I would like to get health insurance for my mother-in-law.  She will be turning 59 this month and lives in Cartagena when she is not staying with my wife and me.  Any suggestions on some of the better options as far as health insurance companies?  Will Colombian health insurance cover serious, costly medical problems like cancer or heart disease?  Also, is Colombian health insurance like American insurance as far as copays and deductibles?  Any idea what a premium might cost per month or year.  I would greatly appreciate any input from members familiar with Colombian health insurance.  Thanks! 

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Colombian Health Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »

I am looking for some information on health insurance in Colombia.  I would like to get health insurance for my mother-in-law.  She will be turning 59 this month and lives in Cartagena when she is not staying with my wife and me.  Any suggestions on some of the better options as far as health insurance companies?  Will Colombian health insurance cover serious, costly medical problems like cancer or heart disease?  Also, is Colombian health insurance like American insurance as far as copays and deductibles?  Any idea what a premium might cost per month or year.  I would greatly appreciate any input from members familiar with Colombian health insurance.  Thanks!

https://medellinguru.com/?s=Insurance
https://medellinguru.com/?s=Insurance
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 08:17:40 PM by Calipro »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 09:52:31 PM »
59 yo woman ..if you put her on EPS and medicina prepagada will cost you around 450 mil pesos a month, jumping up to about 650 mil.pesos when she turns 60 and jumps again at 65.

As a Colombian citizen she is required to have EPS if she wants to have medicine prepagada

I assume she is on SISBEN now which is the very basic government healthcare.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 09:52:31 PM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 09:56:52 PM »
It is discussed ad- nauseum on this forum below, have fun:

https://www.expatexchange.com/expats-living-in-colombia/colombia-expat/forum/190/1

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 03:57:55 PM »
This website could use health insurance, but then again, it's membership is 99% dead and gone.

What remains is apathetic at best, so maybe not health insurance or even life support attempts would do anything to resuscitate it.

Shamey, as going on 14 years married to a 'foreigner' (second marriage, to a foreigner each time) I am happier than ever, would heartily recommend it and help others interested in making it happen for themselves.

Almost every guy I meet in the USA who married a woman from another nation feels that for better or worse, they're still a lot better off than if they'd married a woman from their hometown.

Not saying it's perfect-- even my wife and I occasionally fight and sh!t gets lost in language--cultural translation, but we get over it and we're stronger for doing so.

But overall I think that most of us with foriegn wives and/or GFs, both in the USA and especially those living abroad, are better off for it.

Well, PL has at least one post for this week, so I suppose apathy can resume its reign here again....
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Oiga!

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 06:37:33 PM »
Robert was your post supposed to have some relevance to the post at the top of this thread?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 09:01:49 PM »
Robert was your post supposed to have some relevance to the post at the top of this thread?
No, of course not. You must be new. Have some popcorn. Meanwhile, feel free to contribute.  Anything.

Offline Oiga!

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 12:42:49 PM »
Oh good, I thought I missed something. I'm not really new just couldn't sign in as Cali-vet so had to sign up with new handle.

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 04:29:29 PM »
No, of course not. You must be new. Have some popcorn. Meanwhile, feel free to contribute.  Anything.
Yes please anything !

Offline John W

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 04:32:00 PM »
This thread is probably about finished, but if anyone checks it out again and can share information about the health insurance situation with their in-laws or other family members who are Colombians living in Colombia, I would appreciate it.  For example, do your in-laws have the minimum government insurance and does that provide decent coverage for serious medical problems?  If they have a different plan, how much does it cost and where or from which company did they get it?

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 06:53:45 AM »
This thread is probably about finished, but if anyone checks it out again and can share information about the health insurance situation with their in-laws or other family members who are Colombians living in Colombia, I would appreciate it.  For example, do your in-laws have the minimum government insurance and does that provide decent coverage for serious medical problems?  If they have a different plan, how much does it cost and where or from which company did they get it?

This is not a simple question and very dependent on several factors, where a person lives,thier age,  what level of service required, how much you are willing to pay, which service provider you use, and how well you are at manipulating the system (poorer Colombianas are not very assertive or astute at these types of things)

Colombian system is very complex and corrupt, and dont believe what another Corrupt UN organization WHO says, giving them a higher rating than the US.

Despite this , some US and European senior expats claim they do OKay with just EPS, because they seem to be assertive,adept at manipulating the system, ironically, unlike many Colombians , espescially single Colombianas. This does not do you very well with your mother in law as you wont be there to hguide her through the system when she is sick. But that goes for any bureaucaracy in Colombia.

SISBEN, which the poor have,  is not that great. Varies from person to person, city to city. 

Lower Middle class to Middle class Colombians who work iiare required to have EPS which is marginally better.

Medicina Prepagada, which is for the well off, covers a lot more, but is expensive, espescially for older people like your mother in law. Read my osts for approximate costa.

You can get EPS for yor mother-in-law for about 120 mil per month, including payment for old age pension. I believe. The quality of the service depends on the city, the EPS provder, and personal experience, but is usually (not always) bad

The maid I had in manizales was on SISBEN  had a compound fracture of her foot and it fixed everything.

Best to go to those sites I gave you the link to. There are very few expats on this site, and it is not very active. The subject is covered extensively in those othersites-ad nauseum.

Health care in Colombbia is very complex in Colombia.

To summarize there are 3 levels

1.SISBEN- provided to everyone who cant afford otherwise and dont have full time over-the-table employment- Usually very bad service except for emergencies- but depends on city, location

2.EPS-required by anyone who has an employment contract. A lot of corruption in the system.Cost , depending on your income, but almost always they charge the minimum-120 mil approx. per month-service  usually bad, but noot always, can be managed if you know how to "work the system" - also service depends on city, location and service provider (there are at least 10 to  20 active EPS providersin Colombia)

3. Medicina Prepagada- much more expensive - espescially as you get older (in case of your mother in law- like I said above- expect to pay about 400- to 450 mill per monthe for this service plus 120 mil per month for EPS- and the Prepagada portion will jump to 600 mil when she gets to 60, and jump again at 65). Note that Colombian citizens are required to be on EPS to be eligible for Medicine  prepagada.

Once again Medicina Prepagada service and costs will depend on the service provider. The Prepagada service providers are virtually  the same as the EPS providers (Many providers , eg Coomevea,SURA,Sanitas, Salud Total (Colombians call it "Salud Mortal" ja ja)..etc., etc-over 20)

Good luck
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:43:55 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 08:03:00 AM »
Ohh you mentioned cancer, heart disease

Theoretically Sisben or EPS will cover her if she is agressive and works the system-but only when it is 100% determined that she has a terminal illness.
Ihave heard of Colombians dieing because service came to late, but this was probably because they and ther family  wernt agressive enough in fighting the bureaucracy.

My friend developed prostrate issues and his EPS woere very slow  (WAITING MONTHS) in approving medication and tests as it had as not yet been determined if it was cancerous.I had to help him out financially to expedite things.He was talking in the emergency room wth other guys with similar problems who had been waiting over a year for test and nmedications, and were suffering intensly and their cancer was probably advancing-

When it turned out to be cancerous, they stepped up to the plate and operated on him in a timely matter.

My girlfriends Aunt on EPS has been waiting bedridden over a year for her second hip replacement operation..and this after taking the EPS to court twice.

So it is really hit and miss..

You supposedly get better treatment on Medic¡ne Prepagada, but there is all type of fine print and small extra costs you have to be aware of.

My girlfriend and I are on Coomeva Medicina Prepagada. Before you can get high standard treatment for cancer, you have to be part of the program for 2 or 3 years.

And I sometimes wonder if i get really sick  they refuse to pay, and you get a lawyer, it may not make any difference because the court system is so overloaded and corrupt.

That is why people use sicarios here..but it doesnt work well on Corporations..ja jaja

Thats why my backup plan is to go back to Canada ifI get sick..probably to Saskatchewan..hopefully the medical system willl not have yet collapsed due to all the illegals and immigrants bringing their sick grandparents to the country..like has happened in the major Canadian cities.

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 09:20:27 PM »
My baby has SURA premium ....paid one year in advance 3 million cop

The one time she got sick
Took her to the hospital ....no waiting ....premium goes to the head of the line
In and out in less than an hour with medicine in hand
I dont know what they are like on more serious issues
But I'm not really worried about it because I have her covered with BC/BS in the US and they will reimburse me for any hospital here

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 09:20:27 PM »

Offline Oiga!

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 03:24:49 PM »
Exp it's hard to imagine a bunch of guys in the emergency room at one time kibitzing about prostate cancer but you say so...

Your Coomeza prepagada is excellent. It is extremely unlikely that you would ever have to argue with them to get treatment for a legitimate procedure. In my experience approvals are "right away, no waiting" and top of the line treatment.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 03:37:33 PM »
Exp it's hard to imagine a bunch of guys in the emergency room at one time kibitzing about prostate cancer but you say so...

Your Coomeza prepagada is excellent. It is extremely unlikely that you would ever have to argue with them to get treatment for a legitimate procedure. In my experience approvals are "right away, no waiting" and top of the line treatment.

Man, the above sounds pretty good. Meanwhile, I  think millions in the USA and in Canada's socialized medical care system wish they weren't denied or otherwise delayed necessary, very good, health care/procedures.

I had back surgery in 2013. It gave me my life back. I couldn't lace my own shoes before. But 1st, I had to go thru physical therapy, 3 spinal injections etc., sometimes worse for it.
But I am just lucky and thankful considering what I got.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 09:26:53 PM »

I havent used mine hardly at all yet. Hopefully I never do. Just keel over at 100 after a whole life of perfect health.

My novia on the other hand  who is  decades younger and pays substantially less in premiums  uses it very frequently.

Offline John W

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 03:36:03 PM »
Thanks to all who provided information.  Elexpatriado, thanks so much for your explanation.  That was really helpful!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 448