It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: wedding plans  (Read 1775 times)

Offline jediknight

wedding plans
« on: April 24, 2006, 06:36:17 PM »
well, i got back this morning from barranquilla after spending a week with my fiance. we spent the week with each other and running around preparing for the aug wedding. we were originally going to wait until the end of the year but i have time coming up in aug to spend with her. we did everything from having the interview with the priest to getting the wedding bands at a place called oxford to finding a photographer/videoographer. we even checked out an antique car that someone had recommended but it was in the shop, they cut the top off to make it a convertible but they have no idea when it will be ready. we saw the antique mercedes, its a convertible but a 2 seater with 2 small seats that pulls out from the trunk, it looked ok but i passed on it.

the wedding will be at the inmaculada and reception at the prado, with about 120 guests. the prado has more charm than the other places we checked out like the dann carlton or barranquilla plaza, they are nice but are just 4 walls. the prado has the magdalena reception hall with nice arches, moldings and trim and chandeliers, very classy and as the locals say, prado es prado.

we went to a couple of travel agencies to get quotes on packages to san andres but they told us its still too early for aug, so she has to go back in a month. other than that, all went smoothly, i didn't get bitten buy mosquitos like the last time, i took bug repellent that worked like a charm. cab rides are still cheap, 4,000 pesos or less that $2 to pretty much anywhere in the city, more of course if you travel from one end to the other. we took buses when ever we had to goto places that were on the bus route.. la routa.be careful when getting on or off these buses, they will take off before you are fully on or off.

i did see a lot of gringos and foreigners, they were dead give aways in their shorts and sneakers. the locals wear slacks or jeans with shoes and short sleeve shirts. i do the same so not to stand out but people say i look more like a cachaco than a costeno.

one thing that places will ask for when you pay by credit card is "cuantas quotas?" or how many payments do you want to spread the purchase for. kind of wierd asking that up front but so as to charge me all at once i say "una". i had gotten there towards the end of Holy week so we ate lots of fish until easter sunday. we went to the beach one day, it was part of a water park with pools and slides, really nice and the beach was clean. we ate on the beach, had food brought out to us with drinks, all very cheap. the meat was a little tough but i've noticed that about meat in colombia, thin and hard like the sole of your shoe. i really like the papas rellenas,  which are meat wrapped in mashed potato, covered with a crust and fried. my favs are the juices, limonada which is made with green lemons, otherwise known as limes, jugo de tomate de arbol, mango, guayaba y coroso.
well, can't think of anything else now, until next time
JK

Offline Looking4Wife

wedding plans
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 11:08:59 AM »
Excellent report!  

Sounds like you are ahead of the game on your wedding plans!

Good idea pointing out the credit card thing for people who haven't been there.  It took me several trips to get used to that weird question.  The last thing I need is for me to think I've got more money in my account than I actually do, since I usually use a debit card.

Dios te bendiga!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133131
Total Topics: 7864