It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Crazy, different food, females and what's cooking in your place....  (Read 3400 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
You guys have foods your girl friends or wives eat or even prepare at home, things from their native countries? Maybe stuff you let them enjoy, but don't eat yourselves?

Has your wife learned to cook USA and other nation's styles of cooking? My wife has, and quite well with most of them.

Honest--who does the cooking? Is it any good? Getting better?

Things like food processors, microwave ovens and dishwashing machines--hell, even washing machines and regular ovens---was she used to them? We've never used our dishwasher, we do use the microwave, regular stove/oven, BBQ and the blender, but the fancy, too many parts 'food processor'--that was a waste of good money.

But in my wife's country, a staple for the poor people is dried fish. Actually,  it was also a staple in Italy for my Grandparents when they were poor kids, so I guess that it, in it's typically salty, smelly form, it gets around.

My Grandma used to slip it into her otherwise great, Italian style salads, but while it was pretty rank I thought, it wasn't that awful. You could eat around it.

But the Filipino version is pretty awful IMO. And being something every Filipino, rich or poor alike has eaten, naturally it can be found in ethnic stores here.

My wife buys it, and I keep it tripled bagged in three freezer zip lock storage bags. Don't even allow it on the BBQ grill---she has a little camping stove for when she needs her dried fish food 'fix', and she eats it outside too. Even the grill stays outside, in the corner of the yard, wrapped in two thick gauge plasric bags. The smell permeates anything it's around.

But most of us have probably encountered foods abroad or even at home, that'd strike most people as 'different'. There's one---I've eaten it--it's a 'delicacy' that's served on most city and village streets in the Philippines, called 'Balut' Balut is an egg, that with a fairly well developed duck embryo still within it, is incubated, really 'fermented' for 14 to 21 days, then eaten, preferably washed down with beer, although any beverage will do.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)

https://www.google.com/search?q=balut&oq=balut&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.3059j0j8&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=0j7xt68fnAkRnM:

Balut, like the the popular fruit 'durian' is also thought to have aphrodisiac properties. But durian, while popular and available everywhere there, has a smell, a stinky, swarmy, over powering odor that's soooo strong that most, even the cheapest hotels, have signs prohibiting it from being allowed in rooms. Don't even think about bringing some home on a plane.

You peel the dinosaur looking outer coating, then peel out the oily fruit and you know you're into something, alright..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

First time I ate it, I was outside and I began to sweat profusely and almost passed out.

The smell could knock a vulture off a truck full of rotting corpses.

But hey, it'll never be in our house!

Sooooo---what's cooking around your place?

Post Script. Wife's going to some big  "Digital Summit" in Atlanta tomorrow, be back Thursday - - her company made her  "eCommerce Manager" for their products coast to coast, Mexico, USA & Canada. So I don't starve in the meantime, she's been in the kitchen, chop, chop chopping, has a 4 pound chuck roast in the slow cooker (she seared the beef first) with onions, celery, carrots and potatoes to go in sequentially. She's chopped up strawberries, cantaloupe, mangoes, apples and bananas, enough for a week of smoothies, all Tupperware sealed.

BUT, I heard an unusual sound... The food processor I said she never uses! She took raw, steel cut oats and making her own flour with it, made banana bread. Coming back to the bedroom, she looked kinda sad, saying "I have a confession"... She forgot to add sugar!! Oh well, it's actually pretty good and it's its chock full of healthy fiber!!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:21:32 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Jhengsman

My wife from Las Pinas, Metro Manila somehow picked up gumbo. Maybe as a challenge since I contended that nobody made it like my father's best friend from New Orleans. So now instead of being a special occasion holiday dish we are getting it on a regular basis. Except for the eggs I am eating pretty much all the Pinoy dishes. Although at a party I am looking for a micro-wave. The habit of preparing one dish at a time and sitting it aside to get cold can now be defeated

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
I do all the cooking or we go out. My wife cooks a couple of times a year.

Planet-Love.com

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
I do all the cooking or we go out. My wife cooks a couple of times a year.

Now that I'm retired as of Friday, I've learned some new recipes to prepare.

So far,  I've got ice cubes and boiling water down pat.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil

Try your hand at buttered toast next. I believe in you Robert.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline pachris

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)

You might be ready for the microwave now.   ;D

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18

You might be ready for the microwave now.   ;D

Yea, little bit of a learning curve there too Thing has more buttons than a tuxedo and too many settings.

I mentioned when my wife 1st came here, not being able to work yet, she tried her hand at cooking different things. They didn't have a microwave, so when she saw the directions for the slice n bake chocolate chip cookies saying slice and bake in the 'oven' for twelve minutes, that's what she set the microwave for.

So that day, she also learned how the smoke detectors works!

She was raised to excel in school and career and growing up, cooking wasn't really pushed, beyond the basics and helping her Mom.

I got her, 'Three Ingredient Cookbooks'----like rice (she already had that one down) porkchops, and then dumping some cream of mushroom soup on top. Then I got her the 4 and 5 ingredient version of the same books.

But she, then and now, really hasn't embraced cook books. Neither have I Maybe we'll look on line a minute. But cook books--a waste of money. I got her magazines too, as she still didn't have the work permit she wanted so much and plenty of time, but "Better Homes and Gardens ', Readers Digest ' and others, really weren't a 'hit'.

I sure as hell wasn't signing her up for 'Cosmopolitan Magazine', although she's pretty enough to grace the cover IMO...

But she's really gone many extra miles and experiments with dishes, making things like a combination of eggplant parmigian and lasagna, seafood lasagna, baked ziti and just 'tweaks' a lot of stuff. We have a cabinet full of spices, sauces, 5 or 6 kinds of curry, etc.

She's killing me with healthiness though, always shorting salt, sugar and oil, LOL. Barely puts any dressing on salads--I START with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Morton's Nature's Season's spice blend. (good stuff)  But you can always add stuff later on, i.e. honey, where sugar would've gone, sea salt etc,  and I'm pretty lucky. She chides me if I add too much salt

She's gone till Thursday, off to some technology  'Digital Summit' in Atlanta, and the fridge is stocked, with a plank of wild salmon, prepared lunches, cut fruits, banana bread and more.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:07:21 AM by robert angel »

Offline Wildstubby

I have learned that the slow cooker is a bachelor's best friend!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
I have learned that the slow cooker is a bachelor's best friend!

Yea man. U can put a whole chicken in and overnight cook. We've actually let it go to the point where even the bones are pretty much dissolved and you've got great chicken soup, as  the initial water cooks down to a nice broth.

Can add onions initially but we usually wait until it's about done before adding celery, carrots or noodles/potatoes, then letting it go another hour or so between getting up and going to work, then shutting it off.

A little cracked pepper initially, but like salt, you can always add that later 'to taste' , but you can't take it out after the whole kabang's cooked down. It's a bummer if it's gotten way too salty, although a spoonful of sugar can lessen salt and/or too spicy hot dishes.

Basically the same with a chuck roast, but again, yeah, a crock pot's great, as you can eat off it for days. Chili's great there too.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
Funny story (I think anyways) - - One Christmas, we wanted to try something 'different' - - so we went out Christmas eve to some fancy ass grocery store and bought a fresh killed goose to prepare for our 'big Xmas dinner'

I dunno exactly what we did wrong, but coming out of the oven, that thing was not only harder than rubber, but the Georgia Bulldogs (my younger son goes to UGA) could be playing Alabama for the SEC Title using that damn cooked goose as a football, and the goose wouldn't have been ANY worse for wear at game's end.

One tough bird it was!

An expensive 'football' too!!

Of course every store was closed. We don't remember what we ate instead, but we still remember and laugh about that Xmas 'dinner' - - about our 'rubber goose' every year.

Most English second language learners have an embarrassingly difficult time grasping slang, but on occasions where my wife and I are really lost or have screwed something up to FUBAR level, when we say: '"Our/your goose is COOKED'"--it needs no further interpretation!!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:07:32 PM by robert angel »

Offline pachris

Re: Crazy, different food, females and what's cooking in your place....
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 09:47:24 PM »
Dang, I'm hungry just reading about the good food, well, minus the rubber turkey.
That reminds me of the time during the first year of marriage, wife calls me at work and asks if I want a pumpkin pie for dessert that evening.  I was all over that and was looking forward to sampling it that evening. 
I walked in the door and didn't see or smell any such pie.  Turns out she decided not to make it... I was one disappointed little puppy.

Anyway, it became an inside joke and occasionally if she asks me if I want x, y or z for dinner, I'll grin and ask if this is a pumpkin pie moment.
Such is life.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 10:18:47 PM »
My wife from Las Pinas, Metro Manila somehow picked up gumbo. Maybe as a challenge since I contended that nobody made it like my father's best friend from New Orleans. So now instead of being a special occasion holiday dish we are getting it on a regular basis. Except for the eggs I am eating pretty much all the Pinoy dishes. Although at a party I am looking for a micro-wave. The habit of preparing one dish at a time and sitting it aside to get cold can now be defeated

That's a tall order! Do you put okra in your gumbo? While I don't personally care for okra, my wife loves it. There's literally tons of shrimp around here and I'm pretty sure she'd have good luck trying to whip a pot up.

Lately around here, shrimp and grits is all the rage. We went to a place for our anniversary that's highly regarded, and for $26, it was good, if ridiculously over priced entree.

We go to another place I took a couple PL members to, that for $8, makes a better shrimp n grits dish in a different style, using a bit of curry, buttery rich grits, with a few other ingredients, that make it spicy, but really still quite smooth and satisfying.

Out here on the east coast, a lot of high end restaurants are serving that ole Filipino standby, pork belly--often in a similar style.

Funny how meats like pork belly and oxtaills, once dirt cheap, almost throwaway cuts, now sell for sirloin steak prices.

Funny how food some folks in the USA consider as 'soul food' and the domain of the African American population, but if you travel, you realize they're are found internationally. Good food, is good anywhere and with deep roots to the garden and 'basics' , it really gets around. Sometimes, I just get a 'hankering' for some turnip or collard greens and ham hocks!

Gotta have vinegar with hot chile's soaking in it to sprinkle on top though.

Even chuck eye, or 'eye of chuck' a great piece of meat if seared in a cast iron pan, then finished at a lower heat, has gotten expensive. Still a 'poor mans' filet mignon'--but there's not much on each side of beef, so you have to grab it when and where you can.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:23:16 PM by robert angel »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 06:00:35 AM »
Dang, I'm hungry just reading about the good food, well, minus the rubber turkey.
That reminds me of the time during the first year of marriage, wife calls me at work and asks if I want a pumpkin pie for dessert that evening.  I was all over that and was looking forward to sampling it that evening. 
I walked in the door and didn't see or smell any such pie.  Turns out she decided not to make it... I was one disappointed little puppy.

Anyway, it became an inside joke and occasionally if she asks me if I want x, y or z for dinner, I'll grin and ask if this is a pumpkin pie moment.
Such is life.

That's a cute story, we have a bit of an inside joke running for a long time too. Some time ago, so far back that no one actually remembers when, a funny tradition started in our family. Funny to us anyways. But my siblings and I were kids, and it was someone's birthday. After some 'normal' dinners, we'd grab a can of peaches out of the pantry and opening it, we'd each get some of what we called the 'hot peaches' for desert, "hot" as they hadn't been chilled. Just a last minute deal--on a really good day, it'd be Sarah Lee brand pound cake. Usually there was no desert, ESPECIALLY if too long a time went by without one of us kids remarking how WONDERFUL Mom's cooking was that night. Dear old Dad would get real quiet and wait a while for one of us to sing high praise.

Now my Mom was a world class cook, but that didn't matter, she could've put out dirt for dinner, and if we didn't say how good it was, we were gonna hear it, one way or another, and there wouldn't be ANY desert after. Dad always had Mom's back and vice versa.

Always hated that I never ever could divide them. Dad could come home and if I'd said: "Mom cut off my hand because I doubted her when she said pink pigs were flying"--He wouldn't skip a beat, saying: "I'm sure your Mother acted appropriately ". God forbid I said "SHE cut off my hand"-- because we weren't allowed to refer to 'Mom' as 'she'-- 'she' and 'he' were words reserved for mere mortals. They were like deities to each other, but humble to everyone outside the family, and it was one tough act to work, LOL. I almost always had two or three baseball cards in each back pocket, because I knew I was gonna.'get it' for some crazy thing I did.

And it didn't matter if it was a senator ringing our door bell or some man wearing rags, looking for yard work, we had to treat them with the same respect--no 'pulling rank' in our household.

Anyway, one year, it was someone's b day, and after dinner, everybody was poker faced about it, like no one remembered. Pop's looked around the table, with a stoic, 'Old Abe' face that could dry paint, and said: "Well......, what's for desert?"---no reply...."Well, guess we're having hot peaches again.."   Then Mom brought out a b day cake and the party was on. Ever since then, when we can get together or even mention a  b day, we say "We're getting together for some hot peaches"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:57:48 AM by robert angel »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 06:00:35 AM »

Offline Jhengsman

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 06:50:59 AM »
That's a tall order! Do you put okra in your gumbo? While I don't personally care for okra, my wife loves it. There's literally tons of shrimp around here and I'm pretty sure she'd have good luck trying to whip a pot up.

Besides the homeland of our wives I guess we share a lack of taste for okra. Just about the only time I eat it is in gumbo or fried to get rid of the stringy texture. Okra is suppose to be the secret ingredient that makes gumbo work.

Before I would pick out the okra, now the wife knowing my preferences and since she is making  it for me chops and  mashes it into the smaller pieces that I manage. Now if I can get her to put her share on the rice as the dish was meant to be eaten instead of keeping the rice ball separate.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 08:19:44 AM »
Besides the homeland of our wives I guess we share a lack of taste for okra. Just about the only time I eat it is in gumbo or fried to get rid of the stringy texture. Okra is suppose to be the secret ingredient that makes gumbo work.

Before I would pick out the okra, now the wife knowing my preferences and since she is making  it for me chops and  mashes it into the smaller pieces that I manage. Now if I can get her to put her share on the rice as the dish was meant to be eaten instead of keeping the rice ball separate.

Does your Wife tend to pick out the smaller pieces of okra? We get some of our veggies from an excellent Indian market (a lot of people don't know that India's geographically in Asia) and my Wife takes quite a while picking out choice, little pieces.

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 02:20:10 AM »
My wife will cook up some chicken feet every now and then......I do not eat them. As a matter of fact I will not even kiss her after she eats them because I know what chickens step in when they are walking around. Also I find it difficult to see a woman as being sexy whilst gnawing on a chicken's foot.  ;D
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 03:51:04 PM »
My wife will cook up some chicken feet every now and then......I do not eat them. As a matter of fact I will not even kiss her after she eats them because I know what chickens step in when they are walking around. Also I find it difficult to see a woman as being sexy whilst gnawing on a chicken's foot.  ;D

Depending on the source, we live along the 2nd busiest container ship port in the USA, with ships aproaching 1300 feet long (well, 1299 ft) cruising the twenty some miles into and out of Georgia.

I know the Georgia guys who have to board and take over the ships, climbing up their sides about seven miles off shore. Only way you'll ever get that job in this non union town, is if your Dad or Uncle had it first. They're 'pilot boat captains' and they make about a half million bucks a year, guiding the ships up and down the twisting river's turns that shift according to the tidal currents. They DON'T 'stop on a dime', that's for sure.

They're making ships now (Korea's Hyundai makes almost all of them) that can hold close to 20,000 TEUs--TEUs are containers that look like the trailers a typical 18 wheeler semi truck pulls. These incredible ships look like huge, solid city block long, 12 story high apartment buildings, floating past.

And they'll only get bigger with time.

One of the top three exports out of Georgia is frozen poultry and a LOT of that is chicken feet.

So I guess it's not just Asian nations that are crazy about them.

While the state of Georgia is the #1 producer and exporter of poultry in the USA, I was surprised that in terms of poulty production and exports as a nation/region, the Netherlands far and away blows everyone else off the chart. (and out of the water!)

http://www.worldstopexports.com/chicken-exports-by-country/

My wife prefers to purchase 'free range' chicken and eggs.

I just wonder how the hell they can run around and catch them chickens....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:38:13 PM by robert angel »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 300