It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Global Simcard  (Read 1934 times)

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Global Simcard
« on: August 10, 2017, 07:41:50 AM »
Has any one used a global simcard? I bought one a few days ago https://alwaysonlinewireless.com/ ? Any thoughts or experience? It seems like the only real downside is price atm. Depending on where you go it can be expensive but wifi is pretty much everywhere now-a-days

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
Re: Global Simcard
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »
Has any one used a global simcard? I bought one a few days ago https://alwaysonlinewireless.com/ ? Any thoughts or experience? It seems like the only real downside is price atm. Depending on where you go it can be expensive but wifi is pretty much everywhere now-a-days

Seems outdated....who really needs a simcard for travel anymore.

I have T mobile....and get free 2G internet while in Colombia which is good enough to chat with on facebook or make a call on whatsapp. You can get 4G by paying a little extra.

Calls to and from the US are free if you make or receive the call while connected to WIFI and 20 cents per minute if you aren't.

I do have a local simcard I use on the off chance that I need to call someone that isn't on whatsapp...but that only happens about once a month.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 05:10:05 PM »
 true, with tmobile you really dont need a global sim card.  my kids where here for a week using tmobile, if your just using data for facebook, whatsapp chatting, checking e mails, texts ect, its fine. it 2 g speed but more like 250 k speed.

only problem they had was their iphones kept jumping carriers here, from claro, to movistar to tigo and sometimes would have to reset the phones to get it to connect.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 05:10:05 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 07:56:52 PM »
Cheaper for me to hit a pawnshop, buy a decent phone cheap with a sim card, pay to load data, minutes into it as I go, than pay verizon to extend my service to various countries.

Don't want to bring my $840 phone anyway. I give away or sell my 'over there' phone b4 leaving.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Calipro

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 01:13:54 AM »
Cheaper for me to hit a pawnshop, buy a decent phone cheap with a sim card, pay to load data, minutes into it as I go, than pay verizon to extend my service to various countries.

Don't want to bring my $840 phone anyway. I give away or sell my 'over there' phone b4 leaving.

Or you could switch to T mobile....the 2G is free.

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 06:23:30 AM »
I have TMo and its ok for Mexico but I still have to work. I can't VPN and run our online meeting app on 2g. That's not going to fly lol. After I leave here I'll be there in Med for 3 months and if something happens to the wifi I need to know I can keep going

Offline Calipro

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »
I have TMo and its ok for Mexico but I still have to work. I can't VPN and run our online meeting app on 2g. That's not going to fly lol. After I leave here I'll be there in Med for 3 months and if something happens to the wifi I need to know I can keep going

You can always pay the 10 bucks for a gig of 4g anytime you want to T-Mobile

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864