It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: THE QUESTION OF CLASS  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Elexpatriado

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: THE QUESTION OF CLASS
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 05:38:07 PM »

All good points and I appreciate your candor. I'm relatively sure I'm moving back down there in the near future but it's going to be on my terms. I'm remodeling my house to rent it out while I'm gone so that will be additional income and currently searching for a position that will allow me to work remotely fulltime. I was trying to start a business there but the red tape a gringo has to cut through just to get a business going in Brazil would boggle your mind. Not to mention the ridiculous taxes foreign entrepreneurs have to pay. The guy that was going to be my partner also dropped out and ended up moving back to the states. Brazil makes mincemeat out of most Americans and Europeans with big dreams of starting businesses and living in paradise the rest of their lives. Most of them end up in debt, having lost a significant portion if not all of their retirement, headed back home to join the job force to sit in a cubicle again. I've heard that story a million times there and I don't plan on being a casualty.

My girlfriend's father is a real estate guy. He bought a lot of properties back during the third Cruzeiro era and somehow made the crash of that currency work for him. I won't even pretend to understand his Portuguese when he tries to explain Brazilian Finance to me.  He's a sharp guy though...made a killing during the World Cup and the Olympics. Spoils the $hit out of my son in a good way and I appreciate that. He likes me but he lectures me...like, "You really need to find a way to make a lot more money" kind of stuff. Again...it's that class thing and it kind of makes me feel like he's looking down on me even though my girlfriend adamantly denies that. When I lived in Rio one could have made the assumption I was rich because of where I my apartment was, how I dressed and the company I kept. Truth is Big Oil was footing the bill for most of it and now I'm back to reality. I make damn good money...but I'm no where near a millionaire, and I think that's his expectation. The thing is I'm not even 40 yet. If you haven't cooked up some hotshot app or invented something very useful and unique building wealth takes time.

Workiing as a consultant by internet you dont have to declare SFA to the Brazilian tax authorities.

Like my Lawyer GF says..in Colombia la Ley Escrito.y la La verdad son dos cosas differentes..

Sure its the same in Brazil

Offline vikingo

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 07:35:56 AM »
The Law in Latin countries can be formed to suit you if you have money and connections, at least a lawyer who is connected.
Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 07:41:28 AM »
The Law in Latin countries can be formed to suit you if you have money and connections, at least a lawyer who is connected.

Or maybe just keeo your miuth shut and go under the radar

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 07:41:28 AM »

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 10:22:36 AM »

It’s been said here on numerous occasions that the ideal woman in a place like Latin America is one that’s not poor, educated, from a good family, with no kids, etc. But the extreme end of this idea may be just a detrimental to a relationship as the worst case.  It has been difficult for me. Off and on. A lot of arguing. But we’re trying. What else can we do? We love our son.

Sounds like you are doing just fine.  Sometimes no option is ideal so what the hell, you do the best you can, at least have a pretty face to look at, and have a good son out of it.     Another option is to be looking around still without the little boy in your life.

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 11:59:50 AM »

Sounds like you are doing just fine.  Sometimes no option is ideal so what the hell, you do the best you can, at least have a pretty face to look at, and have a good son out of it.     Another option is to be looking around still without the little boy in your life.

Fathertime!

Very true!!!

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 03:58:00 PM »
I am coming late to this thread and looks like you got some good input.

You "outclassed" the rest of us in getting a hot rich girl from Rio to fall in love with you, etc. At least you know she went for you "for you"...not a meal ticket out of harsh circumstances.

One brief story: When I was 31 I dated a rich 19 year old Brazilian. She was born in Brazil but moved to the states with her parents when she was an infant. Her parents were very wealthy and lived in a penthouse on the upper east side of Manhattan.

One day I visited her parents place with her and we walked into the apartment and I saw a painting on the wall. I remarked it was beautiful and asked who was the artist. She replied, "Oh that is a Picasso." As in an original Picasso.

Bottom line: I am sure I would have never made enough money to be worthy in the eyes of her father. The relationship ended for other reasons but yeah people in those circles have a peculiar view of the world.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:14:16 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864