It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Venezuela, what a mess, and spilling over at that....  (Read 23636 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Venezuela, what a mess, and spilling over at that....
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2018, 07:21:59 PM »

What difference does it make? We have the US which is governed under strict Biblical law (watch Judge Kavanaugh and his cronies overrule Roe v Wade) or we have a country governed under Sharia law? Both groups are fanatics who hate homosexuality, sex outside of marriage, racial miscegenation etc Really the Baptists in rural Texas would be completely at home among ISIS or the Taliban. They would have beheadings in every town square if they could manage it!

Nothing like a good lynching to bring the village together. As long as there's a person, a group--something we can label, name, blame, be it a race, religion, a poltician, a political party, the news, the media--lots of things-- it can allow a group to get behind the 'call out', and collectively hate, act and even kill, none of them feeling remorse as any one 'individual'.

Once 'group think' sets in, the individual 'conscience' typically fades away.

Think of all those Germans in WWII who insisted : "I was just being a good German!"
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Elexpatriado

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2018, 07:26:24 AM »

What difference does it make? We have the US which is governed under strict Biblical law (watch Judge Kavanaugh and his cronies overrule Roe v Wade) or we have a country governed under Sharia law? Both groups are fanatics who hate homosexuality, sex outside of marriage, racial miscegenation etc Really the Baptists in rural Texas would be completely at home among ISIS or the Taliban. They would have beheadings in every town square if they could manage it!

I have lived 3 years in Saudí Arabia. You make a "slight" (to say the least) exageratión. In rural Texas I dont think they make women walk around in the  heat of day covered head to toe in  black , including face mask with eye slits, arrest women for being in public alone without their male chaperone (who must be her father, brother or husband),banned all alcohol consumption ,treat the Mexican labourers like medieval slaves living in dungeons working 120  a week for $100, (like the Saudis do with the temporary workers from Philipines, Nepal, Bangladesh)  or behead people in públic for one of the transgressions you listed- homosexuality, adultery, sexual depravity.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:36:08 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2018, 07:40:40 AM »
Are you "foching" kidding us or something?

Sweden and Norway are great countries...with a high quality of life, etc. That is why so many people want to move there.

Same can be said for many of the other OECD countries with high levels of GDP per capita: Switzerland, Netherlands, Austria, Denmark, Germany, Australia, the USA, etc.

All are REGULATED market economies with representative governments of one kind or another. Granted some are more regulated with a greater provision of public goods than others. But anyone born in any of the above countries won the damn lottery....relatively speaking from a global perspective. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OECD_countries_by_GDP_per_capita

Within Latin America the two highest in GDP per capita and human development are Uruguay (center left) and Chile (center right).

There is what Black Pigeon has to say about Sweden

https://youtu.be/qPXsm_Fp58A

https://youtu.be/zkVcqZZG-aU

https://youtu.be/vhER6o2jGsg
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:57:32 AM by Elexpatriado »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2018, 07:40:40 AM »

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2018, 11:09:35 AM »
I have lived 3 years in Saudí Arabia. You make a "slight" (to say the least) exageratión. In rural Texas I dont think they make women walk around in the  heat of day covered head to toe in  black , including face mask with eye slits, arrest women for being in public alone without their male chaperone (who must be her father, brother or husband),banned all alcohol consumption ,treat the Mexican labourers like medieval slaves living in dungeons working 120  a week for $100, (like the Saudis do with the temporary workers from Philipines, Nepal, Bangladesh)  or behead people in públic for one of the transgressions you listed- homosexuality, adultery, sexual depravity.

Actually alcohol is banned where I used to live and Mexican wetbacks are treated like slaves - I know because a neighbor lent me his wet when I had a particular brutal piece of work to do. In the schools and in government, Christianity is the state religion and there is no separation of church and state whatsoever. Women may go out in public alone but they are harassed and molested if they do so. Obviously the Baptists don't have the complete control that they would like to have but if they could, they would behead homosexuals and anyone violating one of the ten commandments.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »
Was taking bids to put a french drainage system on our home's land, as when we get alot of rain in a short time, it gets almost swampy without drainage. Have a feeling these three hurricaines lined up out in the Atlantic right now are gonna leave us pretty 'froggy' at some point during the next few weeks. 'Helene' is looking like one hell of a wild card at this point to us.

It's so beautiful up thattaway, but other than that I can't see why  anybody would want to live in or around N. Carolina's Outer Banks---they seem to get the worst of the storms most of the time.

Anyhow, one red neck contractor made me an offer to 'fix' the drainage issue that sounded too good to be true. Incredulous, I said to the jerk: "What you're talking about is gonna take a backhoe to do---how are you gonna do that--move all that dirt at THAT price?"

He looked over at his crew cab truck and at this poor, broken down looking Mexican guy sitting in the back and said: "THAT's my 'backhoe"... I told him to get the F_ _ K off my property.

Should've had my Mossberg 500 'Streetsweeper' that tucks so neatly and discreetly in our umbrella jar by the front door ---the ratcheting sound of it loading would've been enough to give the guy a bowel movement, LOL.

Come to think of it, next time my buddies and I make our own shells, I'll have to load some 2.75 inch shells with rock salt. I used to cut through an 'off limits' farmer's  land--walking through, sometimes floating our little boat down the creek that passed along side it, and the old bastard thought he owned the water too--he used to let loose salt loaded shells towards our young asses. Never caught any and while I don't think it'd have killed anyone, it sure as hell would've stung for a while!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:19:43 PM by robert angel »

Offline buenopues4

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2018, 04:21:06 PM »
they make women walk around in the  heat of day covered head to toe in  black , including face mask with eye slits...

Did this affect your dating experience?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2018, 05:15:54 PM »
Nah, he wears a full body condom... ;D

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2018, 08:13:57 PM »
Well in one generation it will all change.. everything will be under Sharia law..

Crazy talk.

You are right ..everyone wants to go there because of the social programs.Welfare state plus open borders equals DISASTER.

Any prosperous country with truly open borders would equate to troubles. But Sweden never had truly open borders and they have more restrictive borders now than they did in 2015.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2018, 08:20:10 PM »
There is what Black Pigeon has to say about Sweden

https://youtu.be/qPXsm_Fp58A

https://youtu.be/zkVcqZZG-aU

https://youtu.be/vhER6o2jGsg

This is your "jump the shark" post Elex. Posting a link to a paranoid conspiracy theorist like"black pigeon"...?  WTF?

Sorry to have to say this but you have to be a PARANOID KOOK to follow a putz like that.

Offline Ricardo1

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2018, 04:27:43 AM »
Sometimes I am shaking my head in disbelief - when I read the narrow-minded, and yes bigoted attitudes in some of the posts on this site.
This is a forum about inter-cultural, inter-racial, or international dating and relationships - but sometimes one would think otherwise...

Offline Elexpatriado

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2018, 07:17:18 AM »

This is your "jump the shark" post Elex. Posting a link to a paranoid conspiracy theorist like"black pigeon"...?  WTF?

Sorry to have to say this but you have to be a PARANOID KOOK to follow a putz like that.

Hes not all paranoid conspiracy. Listen to some of his stuff.Makes perfect sense.Especially tve stuff about Canadá, which I have seem Up close with my own eyes. And I am not the only one who feels that way. Cant say the same about Sweden, I havent been their in decades, and as you pointed out, their immigration policies have changed since these vídeos were made (due to.public pressure)

OF COURSE EVERYTHING He WRITES  NEEDS TO.BE TAKEN WITH A LARGE GRAIN OF SALT.

For example , the George Soros (there are others.) stuff.He goes a little too far there.I dont think George Soros (or the Koch brothers for that matter on the other extreme) is trying  to create conspiracy. Just a misguided los
Liberal.philanthropist.

I look at his vídeos from an academic intelectual viewpoint not for any paranoiac reason.

It is what it is .You cant fight city Hall. It only effects me as far as taxes and investments and Heath care, should I ever go back to Canadá. But I will survive (until I  die  ja ja)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:55:00 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2018, 07:22:50 AM »
Sometimes I am shaking my head in disbelief - when I read the narrow-minded, and yes bigoted attitudes in some of the posts on this site.
This is a forum about inter-cultural, inter-racial, or international dating and relationships - but sometimes one would think otherwise...

You should open your mine Up as well.Ricardo.
What is bigoted in anything I.posted?

You believe Islam is the Religión of peace and tolerance and  anything negative about it is Islamafobia?

Anyway we should get back on the topic of Venezuela here.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2018, 07:22:50 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2018, 09:43:29 AM »
That "black pigeon" is a smooth operator, I'll give him that, but if you can't see through it after watching a variety of his videos and find yourself still drinking his kool-aid, you're already gone--poisoned.

People who buy into that kind of crap typically have some empty or worse yet, cancerous places within themselves and desperately look to find fulfillment in the oddest places. Don't forget to click your heels as you salute....

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2018, 10:53:35 AM »
That "black pigeon" is a smooth operator, I'll give him that, but if you can't see through it after watching a variety of his videos and find yourself still drinking his kool-aid, you're already gone--poisoned.

People who buy into that kind of crap typically have some empty or worse yet, cancerous places within themselves and desperately look to find fulfillment in the oddest places. Don't forget to click your heels as you salute....

Ja ja..I said take it with a grain of salt.
Nothing wrong with immigration. Its mass immigration, especially of unskilled people with radicaly difierent cultural vales  into a welfare state which causes major problems.

Anyway change the subjects back to Venezuela.

I live in Bucaramanga and I see hundreds of refugees from Venezuela pouring in here everyday.
Hundreds on the road from Cúcuta. Men, women and children.Really sad.

I am thinking of doíng volonteer work with one of the several foundations here.

http://m.vanguardia.com/area-metropolitana/bucaramanga/442649-por-medio-de-estas-fundaciones-en-bucaramanga-usted-puede-ayud

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:56:43 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2018, 03:43:21 PM »
Immigrants past and future, uneducated, those with education and now more than ever, those that are highly educated, are extremely valuable in pretty much every first world nation.

People may moan and groan about Syrian and other refugees, but they'd probably complain just as loud if basic services they eventually will be employed to provide, go undone.

As mentioned before, in nations where the birth rate amongst those who's lineage goes far back is close to zero, where as is the case in some places, more diapers are sold to the elderly than to infants, low skilled, trainable immigrants and the roles they can assume, are essential.

The old comparison of the Chinese building our railroads and other immigrants building our first large city buildings and other infrastructure elements isn't exactly applicable to today.

As in the past, blacks and 'fresh off the boat' immigrants, have been quickly put into military service and have died in greater proportions than the 'native' populace. Immigrants have long been viewed as 'cannon fodder'.

But there's a lot of jobs that these people can do and better than "can" actually WILL do.

On the other snd of the spectrum, in high tech industries and the medical field, they're having nightmares regarding visa changes and the potential effect staffing Silicon Valley jobs--companies like Google, Amazon, FB, etc.

My sister is in charge of staffing for a company that oversees eight large hospitals in Michigan. She's aghast at the disconnect she sees regarding what some view as 'immigration reform' and the national need for well trained medical Drs--physicians, surgeons,, nurses etc, many of whom come from abroad, given our shortage of people born here and trained in those fields. There's a similar situation in finding school teachers.

If we're going to : "Make America great again" - - we're going to to need immigrants again....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:42:53 AM by robert angel »

Offline Ricardo1

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2018, 03:58:49 PM »
You should open your mine Up as well.Ricardo.
What is bigoted in anything I.posted?

You believe Islam is the Religión of peace and tolerance and  anything negative about it is Islamafobia?

Anyway we should get back on the topic of Venezuela here.

El Ex,

My post was not directed at you, but yes I see stuff on this site way out of line, yes - that could be deemed as such ....
But, I am not targeting you or anyone in particular, just giving my commentary on some of the posts I see.

I haven't touched on Islam or my views of the religion (of which I am not qualified to speak)....  FYI

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2018, 09:31:44 AM »

It doesn't surprise me in the least. Most men who marry foreign wives are not interested in expanding their cultural horizons. I am probably the only gringo married to a Spanish speaking wife who actually speaks Spanish. Whenever I am at the Spanish language Mass I have never seen another gringo there ever. It kind of amuses the Mexican-Americans to see me there actually but they are always very polite.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2018, 03:46:08 PM »

It doesn't surprise me in the least. Most men who marry foreign wives are not interested in expanding their cultural horizons. I am probably the only gringo married to a Spanish speaking wife who actually speaks Spanish. Whenever I am at the Spanish language Mass I have never seen another gringo there ever. It kind of amuses the Mexican-Americans to see me there actually but they are always very polite.

I speak fluent Spanish and have visited more of Colombia than 95%  of gringos.

But then, I am.not married to a Combian (not now at least ja ja) as I dont believe in the Institute the way it is nowadays .

And have lived in 8 different countries and visited 50.

I used to be pretty good at Russian as well.

Being "open minded" isnt reserved to liberals only you know.

I know..its not about me..but I cant help but think it is..because of my anti-Trudeau rants ..and posting the Black Pigeon Speaks stuff.

BTW I looked at a couple more of his videos ..and I have to agree.. he has some really looney ideas..that do border on bigotry and old time anti semitism. Allthiugh he is dead on with what is happening in Canadá now.

Maybe we can change the topic back to Venezuela.?? SO we dont offend anyone?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:47:53 PM by Elexpatriado »

Offline buenopues4

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2018, 05:02:50 PM »

I am probably the only gringo married to a Spanish speaking wife who actually speaks Spanish.

By all means toot your own horn but to be real I have met many Americans married to colombianas over the years who speak very good Spanish. I don't think it's as exceptional as you make out. At the same time I congratulate you for your effort and you have a point.

It has always amazed me all these years the many gringos who come to Colombia seeking a wife who hark to the extremist far right. They abhor Mexicans and illegal immigration but absolutely want a hot Latina for them selves...It has also surprised me how many speak not a word of Spanish and don't intend to and insist their potential bride "learn English" or else!

However there is progress. Kanye West who is staying at the Spiwak hotel in Chipichape at the moment has learned to spell Colombia with an "oh". 

https://www.semana.com/cultura/articulo/kanye-west-esta-de-visita-en-colombia/582701
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:28:53 PM by buenopues4 »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2018, 05:18:43 PM »

By all means toot your own horn but to be real I have met many Americans married to colombianas over the years who speak very good Spanish. I don't think it's as exceptional as you make out. At the same time I congratulate you for your effort.
All the guys i have met are fluent, although we do have gringo accents, so not unusual at all.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2018, 09:58:12 PM »
I don't speak Latin, but I've occasionally gone to church mass given in Latin since I was young. Nobody's molested me yet....

Offline Wildstubby

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2018, 04:12:56 AM »
When I set my sights on a Colombiana as a possible spouse, as made a pact to myself that if she was going to learn my language I am going to learn hers. Also, I didn't want to be talked about in front of my face and not knowing what was being said about me. I can speak it, (somewhat), reading I am at about 85%. But unless the person is speaking slowly, it is difficult for me to decipher. Its the nuances with the pronunciation and the regional dialect. Of course us gringos are guilty of the same thing here in the U.S.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2018, 04:12:56 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2018, 08:39:13 AM »
When I set my sights on a Colombiana as a possible spouse, as made a pact to myself that if she was going to learn my language I am going to learn hers. Also, I didn't want to be talked about in front of my face and not knowing what was being said about me. I can speak it, (somewhat), reading I am at about 85%. But unless the person is speaking slowly, it is difficult for me to decipher. Its the nuances with the pronunciation and the regional dialect. Of course us gringos are guilty of the same thing here in the U.S.

It sounds like a cop out, but brain wise, my least abilities fall into learning foriegn languages, abstract (complex) Math, and playing musical instruments.

That said, I have nonetheless always shown a sincere interest in my wife's country, including her language/dialect, food, customs and culture. But other than the most basic words, such as thank you, you're welcome, love you, beautiful...I'm limited.

Sound like I'm playing people and I guess I am a bit, but with overseas call centers, I've gotten great service and hundreds of dollars in savings from speaking a bit in their language.

But the fact that they speak a mile a minute when conversing with each other, doesn't help my listening comprehension. Same thing with Spanish. Three of my Uncles married lovely Puerto Rican ladies, nit at all uncommon in the Bronx, NYC area we lived. But with that exposure and dating a lot of babes from Spanish speaking backgrounds, my speaking and comprehension wasn't (isn't) much better.

But I try and especially with people from my wife's country, they always act surprised and are complimentary when I at least try to speak their language.

But it actually annoys me when I meet a foreign couple and see that one side makes no effort, or even overtly rejects accepting the other's culture, language etc. One guy who's wife is a good friend of my wife's, eats only American or Mexican takeout food and won't touch her nation's. He's never visited her country. He's highly educated, has a high level exective job and is from the north, but is living proof that redneck ignorance is not isolated to those born and raised in the south.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2018, 09:04:38 AM »

By all means toot your own horn but to be real I have met many Americans married to colombianas over the years who speak very good Spanish. I don't think it's as exceptional as you make out. At the same time I congratulate you for your effort and you have a point.

I am sure that many guys can speak Spanish - my point was we actually do speak Spanish all day every day. So while I agree that many guys can speak Spanish, I doubt that it is part of their daily lives.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 302