It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: can my girl friend from colombia visit me in the usa? is this realistic?  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Meltinbradley

• Probie
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Ok, so ive been going with a colombian girl for almost a year. I was visiting her fairly often, im a teacher so i get a lot of time off. Got pink slipped, went on unemployment and decided to try teaching abroad. Couldnt get work in colombia from here but got a job in chile. Went to chile, they said my info was incorrect, they detained me and deported me. Im in mexico city as we speak heading back to us. Working in latin america was to be with her, i spent 2000 dollars on my plane ticket, and to prepare for the trip only to be sent back.
I am furious and i talked to her telling her that im done. Were finished, ive done latin america for years, im done. I can find a hella good teaching job in Korea that pays for everything....now im getting side tracked.
Well, shes all no no no, i want to be with you, etc....
So I said, well I am not going back to latin america, im done, if you want to be with me, its time for YOU to do something. Im tired of spending thousands of dollars to visit you.
So she says that she is going to get a visa and come here. I told her that there is no way that its going to happen and that we should just finish. Shes insistant that she will get a visa.
I said how is a poor girl like you with no job and no money going to come here?
She says she has found a job.
realistically, does she have any chance of coming to the US in a reasonable time? I am not going to wait years for her to come and i will not help her, as I am unemployed at the moment.
what does she need to do? I think she is blinded by love and acting foolish with these hopes of getting her, but im realistic and I dont know the process, but i have a hard time believing that she will get a visa. Thoughts?
what is the process?
how much does this cost?
she has never left the country, hell, till she met me she never really even explored colombia.
any info or help will be great.
I believe she has a 1% chance of coming her, but if its a real posibility that she can come to the US, ill stay, but otherwise I want to get out and go to Korea because Korea is the only place a teacher can make a decent salary.
Thanks!
MB
ps:
whats with the stupid simple math? i dont get it.

Offline Micky

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: Resident
Re: can my girl friend from colombia visit me in the usa? is this realistic?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:52:20 PM »
Her chances are VERY low.  She has to prove to the embassy that she has too much in her native country that she would lose if she did not return.  Property,  good job,  retirement,  etc.  If she is young with not much money in the bank,  a low paying job,  not much time at her job,  not good.  AND if they even suspected that she had a boyfriend in the U.S..  You can look up visajourney.com for a better idea of the process.  Who knows for SURE,  stranger things have happened.  Colombia does have the highest refusal rate of all countries in SA.

Micky
Don't crap on my 2 yard line!

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 12:02:35 AM »

Her chances are slim and none, and Slim just left town.

Wish her luck but don't hold your breath.

It will cost her $140 to apply for a visitor visa, whether she is approved or not. If you send her any money for visa/travel expenses, then you aren't very smart.   :D

Ray

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 12:02:35 AM »

Offline Meltinbradley

• Probie
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 01:46:11 AM »
Thanks fellahs, thats what I thought as I am latino myself but born and raised in US and know how difficult it is, just wasnt sure of the process. If anyone else has any thoughts or anything else to add that would be great. Thanks again.
MB.

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »

If she is really serious about trying for a visitor visa, she can get all of the information here, with a link to the Spanish version.

http://bogota.usembassy.gov/nonimmigrant_visas.html

Ray

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 10:01:13 AM by Ray »

Offline piglett

• your porkness
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »
i hear spring time in Korea is nice , get your bags packed. China will also scoop you up if your a teacher.

good luck man
piglett
PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:02:35 PM »
Ok, so ive been going with a colombian girl for almost a year. ... Went to chile, they said my info was incorrect, they detained me and deported me. Im in mexico city as we speak heading back to us. Working in latin america was to be with her, i spent 2000 dollars on my plane ticket, and to prepare for the trip only to be sent back.
I am furious and i talked to her telling her that im done. Were finished, ive done latin america for years, im done. ...
Well, shes all no no no, i want to be with you, etc....
So I said, well I am not going back to latin america, im done, if you want to be with me, its time for YOU to do something. Im tired of spending thousands of dollars to visit you.
Wait wait wait.  I can totally see how you can get so sick of some place because of the way you were treated you'd never want to return there.  But are you punishing your girl in Colombia because of the way some corrupt fat chucks in Chile treated you?  That seems pretty unfair.  And besides, there's nothing she really CAN do to come see you unless she starts hoofing it through the jungles of Central America, across the Panama Canal, all of Mexico, and procure the services of a coyote.  If you truly love the girl, pretty much the only way she's going to come to you is if you bring her over on a visa as your fianceĆ© or wife.

i hear spring time in Korea is nice , get your bags packed. China will also scoop you up if your a teacher.
Be careful with China.  I've read too many stories of prospective teachers getting ripped off by schools not paying what they agreed, taking and holding their passport, or other unscrupulous tactics to basically enslave the doe-eyed ignorant newbie teacher.  Your preferred choice of teaching locations in descending order would be Japan, Korea, back to rural America, rural Japan, rural Korea, and then China.  IMHO.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 02:06:30 PM »
Marshall, a poster here, was a handyman in the Pacific Northwest when is fiancee was denied a visa. Since Reid/Pelosi economy kicked in and he was struggling here, he packed it up and headed to the dark side, China, to be with his sweetie. He ended up taking up teaching and has done quite well for himself. I think the trick was that he didn't rely on a Chinese school or business for support - he had it with his girlfriend, now wife.

Marshall's blog - It's interesting to go to the beginning and read forward: [size=78%]http://emsique.blogspot.com/[/size]

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345