It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Bogota trip report. Visiting the family.  (Read 11538 times)

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Bogota trip report. Visiting the family.
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
I just returned from a visit to Bogota. After not travelling out of the US for a few years I spent a week with my wife's family. Some things there have changed and I was able to see more of the area than I had before.

First off we landed in Bogota on a Monday night. The airport had been "re-done" since I was there last and I have to say it is an improvement. Everything looks new and the layout is alot more efficient than before. From getting off the plane to standing in the front with our luggage took about 20 minutes. Before it took about an hour depending on how many people were arriving. There were quite a few folks there this time but as I mentioned the layout of the airport made for a more efficient operation.

We were met at the airport by my mother in law and two of my brother in laws. One of my brother in laws had started his own business so they picked us up in a van he used for business.

The city hasn't changed much since we were there last. It is still a large congested city. We stayed with my wife's family instead of a hotel.

I am going to make this trip report in more than one post so it won't be so long so, stay tuned.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:34:39 PM by Researcher »
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
Re: Bogota trip report. Visiting the family.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »
On Tuesday we headed out to a smaller city outside Bogota called Las Mesitas. My wife's family had made reservations at what they called a cabana. There is more info on this place if you Google it. I found a video on YouTube that shows some of the place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBjIFBQV9F8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It was an hour drive of curvy mountain roads with a guard rail every now and then. Other than stopping for one of my nieces or nephews who got car sick we did stop to check out a waterfall. It was a nice view:

You kinda get an idea of the roads and how far down it was. Things like that usually don't bother me but the word "plummet" did enter my mind a time or two. Here is another shot taken at the waterfall:

Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
After the stop at the waterfall we continued on to the cabana. It had 7 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms which was plenty for us. They charge $25 per night per person.  There was a swimming pool with a jacuzzi. Here is a view:

There was a pool table and a game called Rana which means frog:

The object of the game is to throw brass rings, hopefully into the frog's mouth, where it would fall into one of the slots marked with numbers. Then you add up the numbers and keep score. I had played this one in Cali before.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »
Here is a view from the place:

Here is another:

Fruit trees were everywhere. There were ripe tangerines:

Bananas growing in the backyard:

As well as coconuts:

And interesting plant life:

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »
This place was for sale. Just out of curiosity I asked how much they wanted. The owner said $270,000 but it was negotiable. It had 7 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on the guest side and there was a separate living quarters the owners stayed in. It was in need of some fixing up but all in all was in pretty sound condition. Would make a decent B and B business but I have other things I would rather invest in.

After some pool time, playing games and a cookout we headed back to Bogota.  The barrio my wife's family lives in has a similar view of the city like this:

Other than the occasional neighbor blasting music every now and then it is a pretty quiet place. Since my wife's brothers have cars we only used a taxi twice. I had heard it was more dangerous in Bogota than before because of the economy. I usually gauge it by how my brother in laws describe it. This time they seemed more cautious than before. One of my wife's brothers called the taxis for us and went with us as well. My wife wanted to go shopping for some fabric and thread since it is much cheaper there. The reason we couldn't use one of her brothers cars is the one available couldn't be driven that day because only vehicles with certain license plate numbers were allowed to be on the street that day. So we took a taxi downtown.

Downtown Bogota seems to be divided into districts of similar shops. If you want auto parts you go to the part that has shop after shop that sells auto parts. If you want fabric and sewing supplies it is the same. There are whole blocks of nothing but "everything to do with sewing" stores that look like this:

My wife was able to find the thread and fabric she was looking for pretty cheap by US standards.

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »
We had been invited to a quinceañera for one of my wife's cousins. It was a formal affair so we packed the appropriate attire except my wife couldn't find the right shoes.....(women and shoes, right?)....so we went downtown looking again. There are ALOT of shoe stores in that area and I believe we visited every one of them. She finally found the right ones that matched her dress and were comfortable enough for dancing. That is an extra these latinas consider when picking out clothes: Can they dance in this outfit....?

The party was at a banquet hall that was fairly close to the airport. My mother in law, one of my brother in laws, a niece, my wife and I went. When we arrived I notice several members of the Colombian military in their formal uniforms lined the stairway we walked up. It turns out you can hire them to do a formal type ceremony.

We walked into the banquet room and I notice I am the only gringo in the place. Not that big a deal but it is noticed. The place was full already and we made our rounds meeting and greeting the relatives. Turns out this family is pretty well off. Some of them own several small supermarkets while others are restaurant owners. One of my wife's uncles is a famous comedian who has been on the variety show Sabados Felices for several years. He performed that night. Pretty funny guy. He and his comedy partner did a routine with a mariachi band that was hired to play. These mariachi guys were very talented musicians. There were four singers who could have easily been singing opera.

Every one seemed nice and I got the back story on all the family there. We stayed until about 2am but left early, yes early, because we had to be at the airport at 6am for our flight home. When you go to a party in Colombia get some rest the during the day because these parties usually last all night. This one was going until 5am from what I understand and that is pretty typical.

We arrive at my wife's family's house and grab a couple hours of sleep before we went to the airport. Leaving was easier than before because of how they re-arranged the airport. It is alot nicer now and more efficient.

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
Sorry guys, pretty boring stuff. I was taken care of by my in laws and hardly spent any money. I did realize some things this trip though. It is good to visit the in laws. Being a part of the family pays off and so does making sure the wife can keep in touch them. It seems to balance the influence the US culture has. I don't think there is anyway around it but keeping in touch with a person's own culture and family seems to keep a good perspective on things. At least in my opinion it does.

I also realized this kind of relationship takes a sense of adventure. This was my first trip out of the US in a few years because we had been bringing my mother in law to the US instead of travelling there. During that time I must have gotten used to my comfy lifestyle. At first I found myself questioning why I was travelling where hot water was scarce, the traffic is insane and there was a good chance of being a victim of a crime. I tolerated things like that before to meet babes and have fun as a single guy. It seemed worth it. As a married guy I realized it is worth it also but you still need a sense of adventure.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 01:46:43 PM »
Researcher:  Thanks for the report. Those are some awesome photos of Las Mestisas! What's the deal with the tropical/sub-tropical vegetation? 

From your description the location is in the mountains above Bogota (which is already at 8,000 ft above seal level plus or minus).  How do they grow coconuts, bananas, etc that high up in elevation?

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »
Researcher:  Thanks for the report. Those are some awesome photos of Las Mestisas! What's the deal with the tropical/sub-tropical vegetation? 

From your description the location is in the mountains above Bogota (which is already at 8,000 ft above seal level plus or minus).  How do they grow coconuts, bananas, etc that high up in elevation?

it is about an hour from Bogota and as I remember we were going "downhill" pretty much the whole time so I'm thinking Las Mesitas is at a lower elevation.

Offline whitey

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 05:12:06 PM »
Thanks for the report Researcher ... nice pics ...
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »
Thanks for the report Researcher ... nice pics ...

Thanks Whitey. It is hard to believe it is "winter time" there.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 06:32:22 PM »
Great report and pics Researcher!   Hey you went swimming in that pool?  It looked a little gloomy outside and high altitude? How did that water feel?  I love swimming, but I'm guessing it was mighty chilly unless the water was heated.  I haven't experienced any heated pools in Colombia.  I'm sure they exist somewhere though.

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »
Great report and pics Researcher!   Hey you went swimming in that pool?  It looked a little gloomy outside and high altitude? How did that water feel?  I love swimming, but I'm guessing it was mighty chilly unless the water was heated.  I haven't experienced any heated pools in Colombia.  I'm sure they exist somewhere though.

Fathertime!

Thanks fathertime. Yes, that water was cold in the pool but the temp was warmer than in Bogota. I have seen very little heated water in Colombia. When I visit I have to get used to cold showers.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »
Great TR Researcher and thanks for all the awesome pics. I use to hate Bogota with a passion but after a few two to three month stays it's hard not to develop kind of a love/hate relationship with the city. Apart from the traffic, horrible air quality, incessant rain and the highest prices in Colombia, it really isn't a bad place to stay. I have to be there for most of September and October so I'm definitely going to check out Las Mesitas. Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:38:14 PM by benjio »

Offline michaelb

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »
I enjoyed your report. That place you stayed and the scenery both look very nice.

Offline V_Man

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 10:45:10 PM »
Was it Las Mesitas, Ubalá, Cundinamarca?

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 06:31:02 AM »
Great TR Researcher and thanks for all the awesome pics. I use to hate Bogota with a passion but after a few two to three month stays it's hard not to develop kind of a love/hate relationship with the city. Apart from the traffic, horrible air quality, incessant rain and the highest prices in Colombia, it really isn't a bad place to stay. I have to be there for most of September and October so I'm definitely going to check out Las Mesitas. Cheers.

Thanks Benjio and I agree with you about Bogota. That is why I enjoyed travelling outside of the city. The best part of that place is my wife and my wife's family. I don't care much for the big congested city. 

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 06:33:31 AM »
I enjoyed your report. That place you stayed and the scenery both look very nice.

Thanks Michaelb. Colombia is a very beautiful place. I also enjoyed some trips outside of Cali as well.

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 06:38:16 AM »
Was it Las Mesitas, Ubalá, Cundinamarca?

It was Las Mesitas del Colegio.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 07:50:16 AM »
Being a part of the family pays off and so does making sure the wife can keep in touch them. It seems to balance the influence the US culture has. I don't think there is anyway around it but keeping in touch with a person's own culture and family seems to keep a good perspective on things. At least in my opinion it does.

Great trip report! Especially liked how you formatted it with pictures in between your writing--not boring in the least. I find keeping in touch with her family, even if it just means us calling and both singing happy birthday--but certainly trips too, is a good thing. Sometimes it seems that my doing something for her family means more to her than my offering similar kindness to her.

When we get back home, we have a slightly different perspective and appreciation for some of the things in the USA. When my wife goes home alone and comes back, it's sort of a like a honey moon again. Regardless, when we get back home and are back in our bed, it's really great!!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »

Great trip report! Especially liked how you formatted it with pictures in between your writing--not boring in the least. I find keeping in touch with her family, even if it just means us calling and both singing happy birthday--but certainly trips too, is a good thing. Sometimes it seems that my doing something for her family means more to her than my offering similar kindness to her.

When we get back home, we have a slightly different perspective and appreciation for some of the things in the USA. When my wife goes home alone and comes back, it's sort of a like a honey moon again. Regardless, when we get back home and are back in our bed, it's really great!!

Thanks Robert. I agree, returning home is great too.

Offline JasonA

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 10:15:10 PM »
Great report and pics, Researcher!

The mountain views are amazing. It would be a great place to hike and camp...  if the crime element wasn't there (from what I've read, the mountain areas still have active paramilitary groups, drug lords and outlaw gold miners?).

Offline raycjs

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
Researcher...

I am happy to see you had a great time visiting your wife's family... your report was outstanding, i enjoyed reading it very much..I agree with you 100% family is very important and making sure you wife stays in touch with them is the only way to go... My girl calls home 1 to 2 times  a week and skipe's all the time, I am looking forward to heading back to BAQ some time next year.. this will be my first trip back in over 4 years..

best of luck to you and your family....

Thank you for the great report and photos

Ray
Ray from OHIO

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »
Yea, that was a helluva good report--best in quite a while here. I hope next time they stay there a month!  :D

It was up there with Andy Lee's stuff--newbies ought to read back on his stuff too--but this time with an added bonus--excellent pictures.

I used 'read' the National Geographic as a kid, in part  for the pictures of naked girls with their boobies showing and all, but hey, Researcher's a married man--oh well.... 8)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 03:20:47 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline jselva

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
I don't think its boring hell id love to have a beautiful Colombian wife and do the quiet more natural life once in awhile!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 154