It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Bogota trip report. Visiting the family.  (Read 11520 times)

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Bogota trip report. Visiting the family.
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
I just returned from a visit to Bogota. After not travelling out of the US for a few years I spent a week with my wife's family. Some things there have changed and I was able to see more of the area than I had before.

First off we landed in Bogota on a Monday night. The airport had been "re-done" since I was there last and I have to say it is an improvement. Everything looks new and the layout is alot more efficient than before. From getting off the plane to standing in the front with our luggage took about 20 minutes. Before it took about an hour depending on how many people were arriving. There were quite a few folks there this time but as I mentioned the layout of the airport made for a more efficient operation.

We were met at the airport by my mother in law and two of my brother in laws. One of my brother in laws had started his own business so they picked us up in a van he used for business.

The city hasn't changed much since we were there last. It is still a large congested city. We stayed with my wife's family instead of a hotel.

I am going to make this trip report in more than one post so it won't be so long so, stay tuned.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:34:39 PM by Researcher »
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
Re: Bogota trip report. Visiting the family.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »
On Tuesday we headed out to a smaller city outside Bogota called Las Mesitas. My wife's family had made reservations at what they called a cabana. There is more info on this place if you Google it. I found a video on YouTube that shows some of the place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBjIFBQV9F8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It was an hour drive of curvy mountain roads with a guard rail every now and then. Other than stopping for one of my nieces or nephews who got car sick we did stop to check out a waterfall. It was a nice view:

You kinda get an idea of the roads and how far down it was. Things like that usually don't bother me but the word "plummet" did enter my mind a time or two. Here is another shot taken at the waterfall:

Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
After the stop at the waterfall we continued on to the cabana. It had 7 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms which was plenty for us. They charge $25 per night per person.  There was a swimming pool with a jacuzzi. Here is a view:

There was a pool table and a game called Rana which means frog:

The object of the game is to throw brass rings, hopefully into the frog's mouth, where it would fall into one of the slots marked with numbers. Then you add up the numbers and keep score. I had played this one in Cali before.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »
Here is a view from the place:

Here is another:

Fruit trees were everywhere. There were ripe tangerines:

Bananas growing in the backyard:

As well as coconuts:

And interesting plant life:

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »
This place was for sale. Just out of curiosity I asked how much they wanted. The owner said $270,000 but it was negotiable. It had 7 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on the guest side and there was a separate living quarters the owners stayed in. It was in need of some fixing up but all in all was in pretty sound condition. Would make a decent B and B business but I have other things I would rather invest in.

After some pool time, playing games and a cookout we headed back to Bogota.  The barrio my wife's family lives in has a similar view of the city like this:

Other than the occasional neighbor blasting music every now and then it is a pretty quiet place. Since my wife's brothers have cars we only used a taxi twice. I had heard it was more dangerous in Bogota than before because of the economy. I usually gauge it by how my brother in laws describe it. This time they seemed more cautious than before. One of my wife's brothers called the taxis for us and went with us as well. My wife wanted to go shopping for some fabric and thread since it is much cheaper there. The reason we couldn't use one of her brothers cars is the one available couldn't be driven that day because only vehicles with certain license plate numbers were allowed to be on the street that day. So we took a taxi downtown.

Downtown Bogota seems to be divided into districts of similar shops. If you want auto parts you go to the part that has shop after shop that sells auto parts. If you want fabric and sewing supplies it is the same. There are whole blocks of nothing but "everything to do with sewing" stores that look like this:

My wife was able to find the thread and fabric she was looking for pretty cheap by US standards.

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »
We had been invited to a quinceaƱera for one of my wife's cousins. It was a formal affair so we packed the appropriate attire except my wife couldn't find the right shoes.....(women and shoes, right?)....so we went downtown looking again. There are ALOT of shoe stores in that area and I believe we visited every one of them. She finally found the right ones that matched her dress and were comfortable enough for dancing. That is an extra these latinas consider when picking out clothes: Can they dance in this outfit....?

The party was at a banquet hall that was fairly close to the airport. My mother in law, one of my brother in laws, a niece, my wife and I went. When we arrived I notice several members of the Colombian military in their formal uniforms lined the stairway we walked up. It turns out you can hire them to do a formal type ceremony.

We walked into the banquet room and I notice I am the only gringo in the place. Not that big a deal but it is noticed. The place was full already and we made our rounds meeting and greeting the relatives. Turns out this family is pretty well off. Some of them own several small supermarkets while others are restaurant owners. One of my wife's uncles is a famous comedian who has been on the variety show Sabados Felices for several years. He performed that night. Pretty funny guy. He and his comedy partner did a routine with a mariachi band that was hired to play. These mariachi guys were very talented musicians. There were four singers who could have easily been singing opera.

Every one seemed nice and I got the back story on all the family there. We stayed until about 2am but left early, yes early, because we had to be at the airport at 6am for our flight home. When you go to a party in Colombia get some rest the during the day because these parties usually last all night. This one was going until 5am from what I understand and that is pretty typical.

We arrive at my wife's family's house and grab a couple hours of sleep before we went to the airport. Leaving was easier than before because of how they re-arranged the airport. It is alot nicer now and more efficient.

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
Sorry guys, pretty boring stuff. I was taken care of by my in laws and hardly spent any money. I did realize some things this trip though. It is good to visit the in laws. Being a part of the family pays off and so does making sure the wife can keep in touch them. It seems to balance the influence the US culture has. I don't think there is anyway around it but keeping in touch with a person's own culture and family seems to keep a good perspective on things. At least in my opinion it does.

I also realized this kind of relationship takes a sense of adventure. This was my first trip out of the US in a few years because we had been bringing my mother in law to the US instead of travelling there. During that time I must have gotten used to my comfy lifestyle. At first I found myself questioning why I was travelling where hot water was scarce, the traffic is insane and there was a good chance of being a victim of a crime. I tolerated things like that before to meet babes and have fun as a single guy. It seemed worth it. As a married guy I realized it is worth it also but you still need a sense of adventure.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 01:46:43 PM »
Researcher:  Thanks for the report. Those are some awesome photos of Las Mestisas! What's the deal with the tropical/sub-tropical vegetation? 

From your description the location is in the mountains above Bogota (which is already at 8,000 ft above seal level plus or minus).  How do they grow coconuts, bananas, etc that high up in elevation?

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »
Researcher:  Thanks for the report. Those are some awesome photos of Las Mestisas! What's the deal with the tropical/sub-tropical vegetation? 

From your description the location is in the mountains above Bogota (which is already at 8,000 ft above seal level plus or minus).  How do they grow coconuts, bananas, etc that high up in elevation?

it is about an hour from Bogota and as I remember we were going "downhill" pretty much the whole time so I'm thinking Las Mesitas is at a lower elevation.

Offline whitey

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 05:12:06 PM »
Thanks for the report Researcher ... nice pics ...
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »
Thanks for the report Researcher ... nice pics ...

Thanks Whitey. It is hard to believe it is "winter time" there.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 06:32:22 PM »
Great report and pics Researcher!   Hey you went swimming in that pool?  It looked a little gloomy outside and high altitude? How did that water feel?  I love swimming, but I'm guessing it was mighty chilly unless the water was heated.  I haven't experienced any heated pools in Colombia.  I'm sure they exist somewhere though.

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »
Great report and pics Researcher!   Hey you went swimming in that pool?  It looked a little gloomy outside and high altitude? How did that water feel?  I love swimming, but I'm guessing it was mighty chilly unless the water was heated.  I haven't experienced any heated pools in Colombia.  I'm sure they exist somewhere though.

Fathertime!

Thanks fathertime. Yes, that water was cold in the pool but the temp was warmer than in Bogota. I have seen very little heated water in Colombia. When I visit I have to get used to cold showers.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »
Great TR Researcher and thanks for all the awesome pics. I use to hate Bogota with a passion but after a few two to three month stays it's hard not to develop kind of a love/hate relationship with the city. Apart from the traffic, horrible air quality, incessant rain and the highest prices in Colombia, it really isn't a bad place to stay. I have to be there for most of September and October so I'm definitely going to check out Las Mesitas. Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:38:14 PM by benjio »

Offline michaelb

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »
I enjoyed your report. That place you stayed and the scenery both look very nice.

Offline V_Man

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 10:45:10 PM »
Was it Las Mesitas, UbalĆ”, Cundinamarca?

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 06:31:02 AM »
Great TR Researcher and thanks for all the awesome pics. I use to hate Bogota with a passion but after a few two to three month stays it's hard not to develop kind of a love/hate relationship with the city. Apart from the traffic, horrible air quality, incessant rain and the highest prices in Colombia, it really isn't a bad place to stay. I have to be there for most of September and October so I'm definitely going to check out Las Mesitas. Cheers.

Thanks Benjio and I agree with you about Bogota. That is why I enjoyed travelling outside of the city. The best part of that place is my wife and my wife's family. I don't care much for the big congested city. 

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 06:33:31 AM »
I enjoyed your report. That place you stayed and the scenery both look very nice.

Thanks Michaelb. Colombia is a very beautiful place. I also enjoyed some trips outside of Cali as well.

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 06:38:16 AM »
Was it Las Mesitas, UbalĆ”, Cundinamarca?

It was Las Mesitas del Colegio.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 07:50:16 AM »
Being a part of the family pays off and so does making sure the wife can keep in touch them. It seems to balance the influence the US culture has. I don't think there is anyway around it but keeping in touch with a person's own culture and family seems to keep a good perspective on things. At least in my opinion it does.

Great trip report! Especially liked how you formatted it with pictures in between your writing--not boring in the least. I find keeping in touch with her family, even if it just means us calling and both singing happy birthday--but certainly trips too, is a good thing. Sometimes it seems that my doing something for her family means more to her than my offering similar kindness to her.

When we get back home, we have a slightly different perspective and appreciation for some of the things in the USA. When my wife goes home alone and comes back, it's sort of a like a honey moon again. Regardless, when we get back home and are back in our bed, it's really great!!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »

Great trip report! Especially liked how you formatted it with pictures in between your writing--not boring in the least. I find keeping in touch with her family, even if it just means us calling and both singing happy birthday--but certainly trips too, is a good thing. Sometimes it seems that my doing something for her family means more to her than my offering similar kindness to her.

When we get back home, we have a slightly different perspective and appreciation for some of the things in the USA. When my wife goes home alone and comes back, it's sort of a like a honey moon again. Regardless, when we get back home and are back in our bed, it's really great!!

Thanks Robert. I agree, returning home is great too.

Offline JasonA

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 10:15:10 PM »
Great report and pics, Researcher!

The mountain views are amazing. It would be a great place to hike and camp...  if the crime element wasn't there (from what I've read, the mountain areas still have active paramilitary groups, drug lords and outlaw gold miners?).

Offline raycjs

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
Researcher...

I am happy to see you had a great time visiting your wife's family... your report was outstanding, i enjoyed reading it very much..I agree with you 100% family is very important and making sure you wife stays in touch with them is the only way to go... My girl calls home 1 to 2 times  a week and skipe's all the time, I am looking forward to heading back to BAQ some time next year.. this will be my first trip back in over 4 years..

best of luck to you and your family....

Thank you for the great report and photos

Ray
Ray from OHIO

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »
Yea, that was a helluva good report--best in quite a while here. I hope next time they stay there a month!  :D

It was up there with Andy Lee's stuff--newbies ought to read back on his stuff too--but this time with an added bonus--excellent pictures.

I used 'read' the National Geographic as a kid, in part  for the pictures of naked girls with their boobies showing and all, but hey, Researcher's a married man--oh well.... 8)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 03:20:47 PM by robert angel »

Offline jselva

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
I don't think its boring hell id love to have a beautiful Colombian wife and do the quiet more natural life once in awhile!

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 07:15:48 AM »
I don't think its boring hell id love to have a beautiful Colombian wife and do the quiet more natural life once in awhile!

It isn't boring to live but it is boring to read about. Most people like drama but often times real life just isn't up to snuff as far as having entertainment value. That is why "reality shows" are scripted. I am perfectly happy with my boring but comfy life.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 08:18:32 AM »
It isn't boring to live but it is boring to read about. Most people like drama but often times real life just isn't up to snuff as far as having entertainment value. That is why "reality shows" are scripted. I am perfectly happy with my boring but comfy life.

I'm no expert, but I sort of thought that marrying a Colombiana more often than not entailed dealing with dramas, a volatile temperaments and more. Obviously not all women are the same and I might be perpetuating a broad stereotype. I must have bought into it wholesale, because I was concerned I'd have to be sort of a 'lion tamer' if I married a woman from Colombia and set sights on the Philippines instead.

Few guys here share details of what life's like after marriage--'the nuts and bolts' of daily living--I guess Whitey and I do so more than most and his Nazly's certainly no 'wild thing'--she really contradicts my stereotyping. She and my wife seem to share a lot of characteristics--being level headed, steady, wise and loyal, as well as being very beautiful, inside and out.

There's a couple other posters here with situations that seem pretty similar. They tend to be guys who stay out of the fray, not getting caught up in spats here and I guess the same is probably true at home.

As I get some age on me and even though when I was my wife's age I was pretty much still a party animal, we both like a fair amount of 'bored and comfy' ourselves--more and more. I think getting bored, laying around the house w/ each other is GOOD to an extent.

We both work full time and coming home is nice. Last night around 8PM. my wife said "I'm bored--I want to get out and do something. I pointed out the obvious--that in an hour the malls would be closed, the weather wasn't good, that we'd already eaten dinner and summed it up by adding "We don't always have 'downtime' like this and some getting bored, maybe watching a movie, making small talk and having a snack in bed would do us good". And as usual, it did.

Once in a great while, we'll go out to eat, maybe hit a club or two for music and dancing (neither of us really drink) but hanging around the house isn't too bad at all these days.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 09:40:05 AM »

I'm no expert, but I sort of thought that marrying a Colombiana more often than not entailed dealing with dramas, a volatile temperaments and more. Obviously not all women are the same and I might be perpetuating a broad stereotype. I must have bought into it wholesale, because I was concerned I'd have to be sort of a 'lion tamer' if I married a woman from Colombia and set sights on the Philippines instead.

Some guys may disagree...I'm not married either way. But from my dating experience I'd say your previous assumptions were correct. It just comes with the territory. I use to complain about it and I've actually broken up with a couple of Colombianas because of their tempers, but I've learned to put up with it. I've also learned that 90% of the time irrational behavior, constant nagging and picking fights are just a lot of women's way of saying, "I'm really [snip]ing horny!!!" For some reason a lot women have a problem just coming out and saying, "Could you do me a favor and please [snip] my brains out for a couple of hours?" Go figure...

I guess Whitey and I do so more than most and his Nazly's certainly no 'wild thing'--she really contradicts my stereotyping.

Whitey hit the CosteƱa Lottery and believe me he knows it....  ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:45:08 AM by benjio »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »

Most women like drama. Latinas can be more intense but the key is learning when to put one's foot down and that goes for pretty much all women. They expect their man to be strong enough to at least not take guff off of a female. I know that is considered "sexist" by American standards but then nature is nature. We are programmed a certain way that even social conditioning can't over ride.

So really some level of "drama" in a relationship is normal and considered boring. There are many stories of guys on these forums wondering if they are being taken for a ride or cheated on. That is the kind of drama I meant not the everyday stuff.

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »

Most women like drama. Latinas can be more intense but the key is learning when to put one's foot down and that goes for pretty much all women. They expect their man to be strong enough to at least not take guff off of a female. I know that is considered "sexist" by American standards but then nature is nature. We are programmed a certain way that even social conditioning can't over ride.

Believe it or not many scientists and people all across the political spectrum do agree with you... some under their breath so they don't have to sleep on the couch. In the past I'd always post progressive Bill Maher's comedy routine on it to illustrate. 
Is it right for me to think you are making the most of your trip but aren't really that thrilled about return trips to Bogota? Without the chase and the rush of it all... does Colombia feel a lot different now? More like a chore to visit?
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 05:46:18 PM »
Believe it or not many scientists and people all across the political spectrum do agree with you... some under their breath so they don't have to sleep on the couch. In the past I'd always post progressive Bill Maher's comedy routine on it to illustrate. 
Is it right for me to think you are making the most of your trip but aren't really that thrilled about return trips to Bogota? Without the chase and the rush of it all... does Colombia feel a lot different now? More like a chore to visit?

To be honest it did feel like a chore at first but that was my problem. I realized I had gotten comfortable and had kinda lost my "mojo". Having a sense of adventure really is a must with a venture like this. Once I embraced that my sense of adventure returned.

My wife still looks out for me while there. She checks to make sure my car door is locked and we travel as safe as wecan. I believe she thought I didn't know better before. Now she knows me well enough to know that isn't the case.

Offline whitey

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 06:00:26 PM »
Thanks Rob, Benjio ... actually Nazly is like Sofia Vergara on crack with PMS ... ;)

Right now as I write this, she's curled up on my lap like a cat ... she walked over and said her usual "I want hugs" and is having a little nap.

When I came in the door after work, she was a little sad and shed a couple tears because an employment counselor told her she has a strong accent and shouldn't apply for customer service jobs.   I hugged her, reassured her that she's doing great with her English and her accent is diminishing every day, and that this person was pretty insensitive to say that in the way she did.  Storm over.

That's about as dramatic as it gets around here.

Offline whitey

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »

That's a great question and would actually make a good topic on its own.

Speaking for myself, few things are as exciting in life as the first time you do them, but after 13 visits to Colombia so far, I still love going.  It's far from a chore to me, and there's many places I'd still like to see there.

I've lived with Nazly's family twice for 6 weeks at a stretch and enjoyed it ... not that every day was a scintillating new adventure ... just normal life ... but normal life down there is of course different for me and always interesting.

Researcher ... why were you thinking of it initially as a bit of a chore?   Been there, done that?  Bogota too cold, rainy, and polluted?  Just other places you'd rather spend your vacation time and money?

Sounds like you had a good time and made the best of it, as these things usually turn out ... even experiencing life on the finca ... something I'd like to try one of these days ...

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »

Speaking for myself, few things are as exciting in life as the first time you do them, but after 13 visits to Colombia so far, I still love going.  It's far from a chore to me, and there's many places I'd still like to see there.

I've lived with Nazly's family twice for 6 weeks at a stretch and enjoyed it ... not that every day was a scintillating new adventure ... just normal life ... but normal life down there is of course different for me and always interesting.

Researcher ... why were you thinking of it initially as a bit of a chore?   Been there, done that?  Bogota too cold, rainy, and polluted?  Just other places you'd rather spend your vacation time and money?

Sounds like you had a good time and made the best of it, as these things usually turn out ... even experiencing life on the finca ... something I'd like to try one of these days ...

I had just gotten settled into a comfy lifestyle. I had forgotten what it takes to travel to a country like Colombia. Not drinking the water, being careful about what I eat and stuff like that are annoying but the adventure is worth it.Before the adventure involved hot single babes now it involves my Colombian family. I realized how focused I had been on small insignificant things since I had not travelled in a while.My wife's family always takes good care of us while we are there and once I loosened up I really enjoyed the trip.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »

well ra...lion taming is just part of the job for many of us...but i do think it is a stereotype with many exceptions...i think most grown men know what what these types of marriages entail and know what needs to be done and when...but if not it it is on the 'job' training! jaja

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »

It's an honest question. I keep hoping for the day owning real estate in Tela will make sense. I personally feel like I'd much rather stay Oceanside in Costa Rica to visit family than head to Colombia to visit family (or Honduras). Once the chase is over it would just seem like... a chore to go back.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »

Right now as I write this, she's curled up on my lap like a cat ... she walked over and said her usual "I want hugs" and is having a little nap.

When I came in the door after work, she was a little sad and shed a couple tears because an employment counselor told her she has a strong accent and shouldn't apply for customer service jobs.   I hugged her, reassured her that she's doing great with her English and her accent is diminishing every day, and that this person was pretty insensitive to say that in the way she did.  Storm over.

I tell you Whitey, I really feel for Nazly--actually the two of you and we can REALLY relate. For some time now, my wife has been  pretty unhappy with her job. At each job she's had, she got the highest evaluations, awards, etc. But despite a five year bachelor's degree in engineering (maybe that actually hurt---'over qualified') and sending out several dozen resumes' NOBODY was calling--for like a year and a half.

Top flight references, no employments gaps--but nobody was calling. I'd hold her close, telling her: "Honey, I PROMISE something good will come, you're too good at everything you've done, academically and at work" --"Accent or no accent, you always worried about a new job, then you blew everyone else out of the water"--"It WILL happen--I just can't say when". We prayed....

Monday, my wife starts a new job, handling accounts with a major medical equipment supply firm, with at it's headquarters five minutes from our house, with branches in S. California, Quebec, Germany and Japan. She's going to look into adding S. America to the list to counter Japan supply lines that offer shorter margins than before.

The President of the company, an unassuming multimillionaire and his top guys have known her for a couple years. A month ago, the president ran into my wife and said "Are you working two jobs--why?--I THOUGHT you were already working with us".

Then things changed. She had to apply up against some twenty 'suits', all going through interviews, more interviews--even a psychological--all for ONE position, They knew she was a winner and that the big guys liked her, but a weird interview, a faulty psych. profile, failing an ungodly difficult Math test (she got 100%) and she could've been eliminated.

So she finally caught the proverbial 'break'--and yea, it took a little help from friends she made the old fashioned way. Good salary, gads of bonus options, great vacation, personal leave benefits, pension--the whole nine yards. Next week, they're treating us (including me!) and her fellow employees to a great 'picnic' and choice seats at a pro baseball game. Then a three day weekend. We have options for a week long Caribbean cruise wit her company in December that will cost us $200, IF I can get the time off in December. It was always HER struggling to get vacation time to match mine before--LOL

THEN, today, she got a call from City Hall, asking for her to answer some additional, more personal questions, as she aced the civil service test--they wanted to know about her values, what's important to her, etc. Geeze--she felt like one of the bible's wandering Jews of Egypt--lost in the dry desert and suddenly it's practically raining--raining jobs!

So is she smug? Hell no! As I write this, she's working on her accent. EEEE, IIIIII, OOOOHH--consonants, syllables and so on. She's called the company that makes the recorded lessons and books and is probably signing up for one hour live sessions with their post graduate educated staff.

She hasn't done that in a long time, but in her new job and if she takes the govt. job later, there will be concerns, insecurities within her about her accent, which has gotten better, but is still quite noticeable. That's her way--she gets nervous, worries and motivates herself to try harder than the next person, all the while staying a 'team player'. She doesn't let the nasty folks get a rise out of her (she cries on my shoulder later), but meanwhile, she's pulling up the good people all around her.

Sooo, to 'help her along, I have been pretending to be the client/customer from HELL, as she will have to make some 'cold calls' to Doctors and medical companies. I've been saying stuff like WHERE are you from!!??--"Don't they have any AMERICANS there? I bet you're a 4 foot tall illegal alien"--"I want someone who can speak ENGLISH!".

I have mocked and mimicked her. I have thought of PMing Ray and asking that next time he gets up on the wrong side of the bed, to call her and take some shots--she can take em. She knows I am trying--that really we are role 'playing,' but she's dealt with folks who were jerks about her accent before and it will happen again. We're just not going to let them beat her down.

Whitey, I think a Colombian accent is harder to lose than my wife's, which as Philippine accents go, is pretty tough--a southern Mindanao country provincial accent, but between here and personal correspondence on the side, I know that with time--and we sure need patience on 'time', Nazly WILL catch a break, the wind will fill her sails and she will fly, especially with a guy like you beside her. Stay there to encourage her, keep giving her hugs when she needs them, helping to minimize the impact of negative people on her. It starts with little steps and the trip won't just be long--it's probably as never ending as prejudice itself. But as long as you're in it together, nobody can beat you down--better days WILL come.

Most of the guys here go 'the extra mile' to accomplish important things--let's keep on walking!

Offline jselva

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 09:02:33 PM »
Do you mean a chore because its boring? Chore because you have t be careful of crime etc?

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 10:02:20 PM »
Thanks Rob, Benjio ... actually Nazly is like Sofia Vergara on crack with PMS ... ;)

well, sh--, if accents were a problem the Indian folks who offer tech support for my computer would never have jobs because I can't understand a word they say...

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 05:16:54 AM »
It's an honest question. I keep hoping for the day owning real estate in Tela will make sense. I personally feel like I'd much rather stay Oceanside in Costa Rica to visit family than head to Colombia to visit family (or Honduras). Once the chase is over it would just seem like... a chore to go back.

To be honest it is no more of a chore than travelling from one side of the US to the other to visit family. A week before my wife and I went to Bogota I had to go to Detroit for my job for a week.....I'd rather spend a week in Bogota than Detroit.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »
well, sh--, if accents were a problem the Indian folks who offer tech support for my computer would never have jobs because I can't understand a word they say...

Researcher--sorry we're derailing your excellent trip report here--it deserves and will stand alone over time--any time someone searches 'Bogota' or 'Trip report' here...

I really feel that the companies ought to have a big hand and accept responsibility for this. I have had some Dell (rhymes with hell) techs from India that were impossible to understand. I have better luck with the Dell call centers in the Philippines--less accent challenges, better, faster resolution of problems w/o all the mysterious 'disconnects' when the situation gets difficult.

But several times I had India reps who I told I felt bad for all the nasty responses they get from angry Americans--I told them that they didn't really represent our country's people. The reps acknowledged a lot of nastiness goes on and a couple women actually cried out of gratitude, thanking me for caring.

There are programs out there that do work. my wife pulled out one last night that works from a book, accompanied by recordings. It's pretty good, although if you want six months of hour long, everyday lessons live one on one with speech professional who's Master's degree or higher, that's a cool $2500.

The program has you read, say it, listen to them say it, you say it again and so on--not too expensive as I recall for the book and recorded version.

I once got a Belkin rep out of Cebu City, Philippines who was in the same engineering class as my wife--he told me all about how nice she was and he spoke English clearly. 100 million Filipinos on the other side of the planet and I get some stranger on the phone there who knows my wife!

Offline whitey

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 09:47:56 AM »
Researcher ... sorry for jacking your thread a bit ...

Rob, congrats to "Mrs. Angel" on the new job!  Nazly read your post ... it always makes her feel a little better knowing she's not the only one struggling with these issues ... although of course she has many acquaintances from school going through the same thing.

Actually, it's a little easier for Nazly since she has an English speaker at home and no financial pressure ... but still tough mentally.

The next day after my post, she got called back by a call centre for the next step in the hiring process.  Who knows how things will turn out, but if she gets it, it would be fun to rub it in that employment counselor's nose a bit ... ;)

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2013, 11:30:30 AM »

Not really hijacking the thread guys. It is good to hear from married guys on the forum and what you may be going thru.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 95