It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Vietnamese Virgin Brides!  (Read 32187 times)

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Vietnamese Virgin Brides!
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 03:50:20 AM »

I am surprised, however, to see that 5000 is the figure they quote for the number of annual US-Pinay marriages. I wonder where this figure came from; it does seem very high, equating to some 13 weddings a day and the number of American-Pinay couples running into 6 figures. Add to this the number of Filipinas married to Westerners from other countries and you soon begin to understand why so many Filipinos end up working as merchant seamen!

The 5,000 figure is not high, actually a little lower than the true numbers.

For example, the total was about 10,000 in 2006 and almost 12,000 in 2007. From1989-2008, over 149,000 Filipinos married Americans and emigrated to the US.

During that 20-year period, 41% of Filipinos marrying foreign partners went to the USA while nearly 30% went to Japan.

The statistics are published by the CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas). There are also extensive statistics published by the Institute for Migration and Development Issues (IMDI).

The quote that I have trouble with is: “From the 1980s on, around 5,000 Filipinas are married to American men annually through the so-called mail-order bride agencies or the international match-making agencies.”

I think they pulled that out of their asses, assuming that most all used matchmaking agencies. I would guess that the number who met through agencies is only a small percentage of the total.

Keep in mind also that a large number of those “American Men” marrying Filipinas are themselves Filipino immigrants who were naturalized US citizens or legal permanent residents.

Ray

Offline CeeTeeEnn

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 08:55:11 AM »
Thank you for those figures Ray; this is truly fascinating stuff.

It seems like the Philippines could well be the destination of choice for all Caucasian Western Men choosing Asian brides, irrespective of what role the US-naturalised Filipino men have to play in determining these statistics. However, i think that the majority of Filipina girls marrying Western men marry US citizens, and considering the periods of common history and Filipino community within the US, this shouldn't be surprising.

Here in the UK, there seem to be more Anglo-Thai couples than Anglo-Pinay couples. I am not sure exactly why that is, but I have a theory: the UK is undoubtedly a more secular country than the US, and the strong presence of Christianity in Filipino culture may act as a turn-off for many British (and i should add Western European) guys looking for love. Also, it must be said that Thailand is a more popular tourist destination per se for British travellers than the Philippines.

However, when the "mighty dragon" next door finally opens up fully to the West, i suspect there will be a boom in Chinese-Western marriages that will outstrip even WM-Philippine and WM-Thai marraiges (infact I reckon it's already begun.) Let's just be vigilant to ensure that the jealous feminists don't get the chance to spoil upcoming this party for anyone.

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »
However, when the "mighty dragon" next door finally opens up fully to the West, i suspect there will be a boom in Chinese-Western marriages that will outstrip even WM-Philippine and WM-Thai marraiges (infact I reckon it's already begun.) Let's just be vigilant to ensure that the jealous feminists don't get the chance to spoil upcoming this party for anyone.

I highly doubt this, at least for several decades. Why do you think China will become so popular? They don't have the religious element many American men want, there is still a huge language barrier problem, the pollution makes it an undesirable tourist location, the Chinese economy is booming and the ratio of men:women is skewed so the women are more demanding....what exactly will make China such a popular destination for bride-seekers in the future? I would imagine Vietnam, Laos, and Mongolia increasing in popularity (already popular destinations for Asian men).

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »
Lots of guys aren't necessarily interested in desperately poor, uneducated, religious women from third world countries. I don't necessarily agree with your assessment that the pollution makes China so undesirable as a tourist location. More and more people are visiting China every year, and though they may be some highly polluted places, in most cases, it seems less grungy than lots of other popular tourist places, like Latin America. There's lots more to see also. The language problem may not be as severe either, as there are a huge number of young people interested in and familiar with Western culture and the English language. Every company I visited there last year, small and large, had several to many twentysomething office girls fluent in English.

I'm not necessarily agreeing that China will surpass the Philippines, but I think it's possible, as the internet keeps shrinking the world, travel gets relatively cheaper, and China becomes more and more international. It's certainly more appealing now than it was 20 years ago for many.

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 10:14:23 AM »
Actually I would say that this is already quickly becoming a reality. I have no idea what the official figures are for the number of marriages between Chinese and American citizens per year but I do know that the US Consulate in Guangzhou conducts well over 100 interviews per day for fiance & spousal visas alone. I accompanied my wife to her visa interview in Guangzhou and it was a complete madhouse because of the shear number of people that were there all at the same time for visa interviews - and that was just for fiance/spousal visa interviews as the interviews for student & tourist visas were conducted later in the afternoon.  

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »
While I was there I only saw one Chinese-western couple, but maybe it's different in the larger cities.

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 11:39:45 AM »
While I was there I only saw one Chinese-western couple, but maybe it's different in the larger cities.

I don't see that many Chinese-Western couples when I am in China either but it is all a numbers game - a country that has 500-600 million females is inevitably going to produce a large number of cross cultural marriages. I live in a pretty small rural community but my wife and I have already met 5 other Chinese-American couples in the area that have all gotten married in the last 1-3 years. We all share the same type of experiences as far as how we met, the number of trips to China we took, etc. 

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 01:53:25 PM »
what exactly will make China such a popular destination for bride-seekers in the future?
In a word: familiarity.  Chinese culture, or at least Americanized images of Chinese culture, permeates the U.S. far more than any other Asian culture except maybe Japan and even that is debatable.  And for a person who maybe never really travels abroad (a very small percentage of Americans have passports), the big cities of Hong Kong or Shanghai will more likely fall within their comfort zone than exotic locales in S.E. Asia.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »
Regarding>>the big cities of Hong Kong or Shanghai will more likely fall within their comfort zone than exotic locales in S.E. Asia.<<

I think it's sad but true. Personally,  I don't want to travel 12.000 miles  to stay in a Marriot or Hilton Hotel. I remember when I first got to my hotel in Makati, Manila and turned the TV on and it was Oprah Winfrey, then going to bed and waking up to 'The Brady Bunch' reruns. Looking down from my lofty hotel down on the Glorieta Mall, with it's Hard Rock Cafe and other western earmarks, I decided to take my gal and move onto Cebu and off the beaten path ASAP. I was glad I did!

Maybe the most satisfying time I've had in the RP was the 3 weeks I went w/o seeing a non Filipino person on Mindanao, (except when I looked in the mirror). When I did chance upon a British fellow adventurer at some remote hot springs out in the provinces, it was remarkable--like Stanley meeting Livingston. The guy told me all about Formula One racing and how it compared to NASCAR. It was a very interesting break in continuity and my in laws and extended family found the sight of two white guys (some of the kids had never seen a live white person, never mind two) way out there a rather novel experience.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Dave H

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 05:21:00 AM »

Maybe the most satisfying time I've had in the RP was the 3 weeks I went w/o seeing a non Filipino person on Mindanao, (except when I looked in the mirror).

It was a very interesting break in continuity and my in laws and extended family found the sight of two white guys (some of the kids had never seen a live white person, never mind two) way out there a rather novel experience.

Hey Rob,

The times are changing with the advent of the Internet. The number of Kanos here in my city in Mindanao has increased greatly since I first arrived in 2000. But there are not so many that I don't hear "Hey Joe" a few times every day. There are only around 300 foreigners living full time in our region of about 2.5 million people. I may see 5 or 6 Kanos at the mall on a busy day. In the areas that I go, I am often the first white guy that has ever been there or at least in their generation. Kids often think that I am some sort of supernatural being.  ;D I'm not quite Johnny Winter (except naked)...I need to work on my tan, but need a secluded beach to wear my purple thong. ;D

Dave

Johnny is supernatural! But, my daughter does say that I am magic! ;D

Have you ever seen the albino Asian fashion model  Connie Chiu from Hong Kong?

The developmentally disabled madman!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 05:30:24 AM »
Ha ha--yea Dave--Think I mentioned this before, but I am kind of a hairy guy--except on top, and the kids were either amazed, scared or frightened of my appearance at first. I sort of felt like some rare albino mountain gorilla for a while there. Groups of kids would come by our house to gaze at me. Some of the kids who were the most frightened--one was terrified and screaming when I playfully picked him up the first time, became my biggest fans. They actually wanted to touch--to 'pet' my hairy arms.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Dave H

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 05:54:19 AM »
Hey Rob,

Here I am back in my badazz leather and mullet days at a heavy metal concert.  ;D I used to really kick some azz...well maybe I used to kick ankles and bite azz!   ::)

Big Bad Dave

Offline Dave H

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 06:14:33 AM »
Ha ha--yea Dave--Think I mentioned this before, but I am kind of a hairy guy

I sort of felt like some rare albino mountain gorilla for a while there.

Groups of kids would come by our house to gaze at me. Some of the kids who were the most frightened--one was terrified and screaming when I playfully picked him up the first time, became my biggest fans. They actually wanted to touch--to 'pet' my hairy arms.

Hey Rob,

I am suprised that your Filipina wife hasn't had you waxed yet!  ;D ;D ;D

The kids are always facinated when I have a beard...my wife isn't!  ;D ;D I was growing it for almost 5 months when I came this time...it lasted about a day. But it was well worth cutting it with scissors and shaving it off!!! ::)

Dave

I think that I found a picture of you when you had hair on top.  You must have been using Just For Men on your beard and body. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:17:54 AM by Dave H »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 06:14:33 AM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0