Forum > Asian -> Trip Reports

Luggage- Hard vs soft vs backpack

(1/3) > >>

Fosgate5:
My luggage is due for retirement and thinking of future trips. For business I will be getting some sort of suit carrier but if not traveling for business I have no need to drag a suit with so will just take a single large suitcase. I was looking at hard cases but I remember the last one I had in the 80's was a POS that was difficult to over stuff if  needed. In comparison, when I joined the army I learned how to stuff a pickup truck bed worth of contents into a single duffel bag. This is why I got into soft sided cases. The only negative I see about soft sided cases is the potential to bring back hitch hikers, namely bed bugs, much easier. Also I thought about going to Manila to Palawan or Corozon and thought about dragging luggage around would just be a pain in the azz. For this I thought maybe just a sturdy backpack would be easier all around. However, easy to get too big of a pack that you can't bring it on a flight and stuff in the overhead and would be virtually unsure if you check it in for the cargo hold.

What are your experience with these options in your travels? The advantage, disadvantages? Recommendations in the Philippines? Overall product recommendations?

utopiacowboy:
I got a backpack when we went on the Ciudad Perdida hike a couple of years ago. Since then I have used it instead of any other suitcase and I love it. You can jam a ton of stuff in it, carry it on your back when you need to and it fits in the over head.

Ray:
A nylon duffel works good for me.

Get one that meets the size standards for on-board use if you don't want to check it.

They also work great on pump-boats for those short island-hopping trips.

Ray

Gato4Astrid:
In my recent trip to Argentina, a month ago, I bought a bright mint green hard medium-sized suitcase!

Why mint green?   Easy to spot when claiming them at the airports!  Too many black, blue or dark red!  lol

Ray:
Good idea Gato

And the customs people probably figure you aren't smuggling anything with that color...  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version