It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Best City in Colombia?  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Goyo

• Probie
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Best City in Colombia?
« on: June 30, 2017, 11:40:43 AM »
Is there a city that most of the people, who have spent more than a short time in Colombia, would recommend for looking for a wife? I know people have their favorite areas, but I'm curious if there might be an overall favorite.

For my own part, I'm 43, in decent shape (6 foot, 188 Lbs), make a decent living, and I think not ugly by most standards. I speak spanish reasonably well for a gringo.

I would like to find a woman that is interested in having a couple childred, is sweet, intelligent, good looking, and at least somewhat ambiscious.

I've been to Colombia once on vacation. I visited Bogota, Cartagena, and Armenia. I didn't really try to meet women on my trip. I loved the weather in Armenia which makes me lean toward Medellin, but I'm up for any city.

Thank you

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Best City in Colombia?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »
do some research,  what city in colombia has the reputation of "  cheap drugs, lots of prepagos and girls for fun and parties" ?

hint, its not bogota, manizales, barranquila, buccamagara, cali or armenia.  :o
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:48:32 PM by mudd »

Offline mambocowboy

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 06:20:04 PM »
Is there a city that most of the people, who have spent more than a short time in Colombia, would recommend for looking for a wife? I know people have their favorite areas, but I'm curious if there might be an overall favorite.

For my own part, I'm 43, in decent shape (6 foot, 188 Lbs), make a decent living, and I think not ugly by most standards. I speak spanish reasonably well for a gringo.

I would like to find a woman that is interested in having a couple childred, is sweet, intelligent, good looking, and at least somewhat ambiscious.

I've been to Colombia once on vacation. I visited Bogota, Cartagena, and Armenia. I didn't really try to meet women on my trip. I loved the weather in Armenia which makes me lean toward Medellin, but I'm up for any city.

Thank you
The city with the best weather is probably the worst one to look for a wife...

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 06:20:04 PM »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 06:57:29 PM »
"sweet" women pretty rare in Colombia these days..

Unless you go for a,Christian woman, than no sex before marriage and you have to "convert" as well.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 08:50:10 PM »

Thank you

Colombia is a country with roughly 50 million people and geographically about the size of Texas.

I say you can meet a good lady in any of the major cities. Medellin gets a lot of unjustified negative press on this site. If you stay away from the Parque Lleras neighborhood you can avoid all the negatives associated with Medellin (sex tourists, drugs, hookers, etc.).

DanLasVegas and UtopiaCowboy both met great ladies from Medellin.

That said, just about any of the big or medium sized cities in Colombia are good wife hunting places. In coffee country I am tempted to try Pereira since it gets less gringo traffic and is a decently sized city where you can meet plenty of people.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »
In alll seriosness, if you want a sweet girl, try a pueblo, before she moves to the city and gets corrupted.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 05:31:11 PM »
In alll seriosness, if you want a sweet girl, try a pueblo, before she moves to the city and gets corrupted.

good advice, but also even then, some of  the pueblo girls are "party girls" and hide it.  also, dont go into a relationship blinded by looks and affection.  good idea to look  for a girl who is mature, 27 years or older. Younger   girls are just looking for fun and parties. Medellin, well,  prob worst city to look, but it has nice weather   :o [size=78%] LOL[/size]

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 11:18:32 AM »
You can always count on Mudd who lives in Medellin to run it down. Of course you have to wonder why a guy who lives in a place has to run it down all the time - it makes you wonder if there are ulterior motives at work.

For my part, it's the most beautiful city in Colombia with the hottest women on earth. I just recently came back from a week in the Dominican Republic and I don't think I saw as many good looking women in an entire week there that I would see in an hour in Parque Belen.

The women of Medellin are industrious and hard working. They appreciate the value of both time and money. They remind me of Latina Jewish girls. Oy vey I love 'em.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 11:53:30 AM »
You can always count on Mudd who lives in Medellin to run it down. Of course you have to wonder why a guy who lives in a place has to run it down all the time - it makes you wonder if there are ulterior motives at work.

For my part, it's the most beautiful city in Colombia with the hottest women on earth. I just recently came back from a week in the Dominican Republic and I don't think I saw as many good looking women in an entire week there that I would see in an hour in Parque Belen.

The women of Medellin are industrious and hard working. They appreciate the value of both time and money. They remind me of Latina Jewish girls. Oy vey I love 'em.

not only me lol. many many people know the reputation of medellin and the women here. if i was actually looking to marry a girl from colombia, medellin definitely would not be in the top 20 places to look.  barrnaquila, pereria, armenia  would be better. maybe 10 years ago, but not now. to many other places and cities where you would have better odds and changes. but for some crazy reason some man decides on medlelin, better to search  above 27 years old.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:13:25 PM by mudd »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 01:02:39 PM »

not only me lol. many many people know the reputation of medellin and the women here. if i was actually looking to marry a girl from colombia, medellin definitely would not be in the top 20 places to look. maybe 10 years ago, but not now. to many other places and cities where you would have better odds and changes. but for some crazy reason some man decides on medlelin, better to search  above 27 years old.
The big cities in Colombia are oversaturated with gringos who've given gringos a bad rep. Better to look outside the big cities where it is less likely a Colombiana has had a bad experience with a gringo...

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »

Very much a matter of personal taste the personality traits and physical characteristics a man finds most attractive.  I tend to get turned off by pushy women and also prefer darker women, so for the OP, he needs to ask himself what kind of cultural and physical traits he finds most attractive.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 02:31:05 PM »

It's one thing to piss in your own back yard, but to move somewhere, to actually LIVE there and constantly bitch and moan, to not only sh!t all over the place, its culture and people, but then to frequently look for second hand, negative , so called 'news to regurgitate all over the world wide web, I
don't get it.

I guess I'm a malcontent too. Took this photo an hour ago and the sand was so freaking hot, that we had to seek shelter in the caves below. How horrendous! I'm going to have to take a nap now to recover. Thank God the ladies are going out to get some Kobe beef for burger grilling, along with some fresh picked vegies and fruit. I might just live through this....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:45:30 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 05:51:58 AM »
If I was 44 and just starting out And never been to Colombia and spoke Good SPANISH AS I do now,
I would spend a few weeks in Medellin, but aa MUDD says, buyer beware.

Avoid the hottest chicks on the internet sites and try some of the out of the way barrios and pueblos around Medellin.

But also try different cities.

And as soon as they hint about Financial problems, run like hell. Find ones thatxare financially independent and proud.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 05:51:58 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 05:54:29 AM »
The big cities in Colombia are oversaturated with gringos who've given gringos a bad rep. Better to look outside the big cities where it is less likely a Colombiana has had a bad experience with a gringo...

Or been spoiled by a gringo or foreigner and now has an "entitled" attitude,.

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 09:35:02 AM »
Is Med really over populated w/ gringos to that point? I just got my AirBNB there for 3 months. Not looking for anything in particular except enjoying the country and learning spanish

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 03:14:44 PM »
Or been spoiled by a gringo or foreigner and now has an "entitled" attitude,.
+1

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »
Is Med really over populated w/ gringos to that point? I just got my AirBNB there for 3 months. Not looking for anything in particular except enjoying the country and learning spanish

poblado, laureles yes, little bit envigado.  parque lleras/ zona rosa a lot,

Offline Goyo

• Probie
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 04:40:45 PM »
Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate your input. It has been very insightful.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 11:32:26 AM »

Do me a favor and go to Parque Belen and hang out in front of the church. You can get some ice cream from the shop on the square and eat it on one of the park benches. Then tell us how many gringos you saw. My money is on zero. Why? Because I have NEVER seen another gringo there ever.

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 12:49:44 PM »

Do me a favor and go to Parque Belen and hang out in front of the church. You can get some ice cream from the shop on the square and eat it on one of the park benches. Then tell us how many gringos you saw. My money is on zero. Why? Because I have NEVER seen another gringo there ever.

I'm really looking forward to it. My 3rd trip to Colombia but I'll be there for way longer. I'm actually watching 'los muñecas de la mafia' pretty interesting actually. What the weather like around the Sept ~ Nov'. What can I expect as a long term visitor?

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 08:03:36 PM »
What the weather like around the Sept ~ Nov'. What can I expect as a long term visitor?

I'll let the Medellin experts tell you about what to expect for the long-term visitor.

Given its location in the tropics, the climate with regards temperature is basically the same all year: daily highs of 80 to 82 (F) and daily lows of 62 to 64 (F).

The Sept to Nov period does get more rain than drier parts of the year like Dec/Jan/Feb.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 08:51:35 AM »
I've only been to Medellin once before for a few days. Never saw a single gringo. I have a buddy that lives in Orlando but his place is miles and miles away from the resorts and amusement parks. With close to 70 Million people visiting the city each year I was always under the assumption that people living there were constantly dealing with tourists. He's told me he usually has no interaction with them whatsoever. That maybe once a year someone will ask him for directions at a gas station. Moral of the story is if you go where all the gringos go in Medellin....you're going to find gringos. But just like any other city in the world, once you get away from the tourist attractions foreigners are few and far between if there are any at all.

I'm headed back in Medellin in late August for business. I'm personally really looking forward to it.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 467