It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Medellin or Cali...??  (Read 12742 times)

Offline buencamino3

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Medellin or Cali...??
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2017, 03:30:42 PM »
How about the climate: Medellin vs. Cali...?

My general perception from visiting each city once was Medellin wins by a large margin.

Then I looked up each climate and saw that the actual temperature difference between the two is not that great. Plus, LESS rain and smog in Cali.

Daytime: Cali feels a lot more hot and humid.

Nighttime: Medellin is a little on the cool side. Cali gets those winds which make the evenings and early mornings more pleasant.

Well Cali lies in a high valley, 1000m above sea level. It is almost always hot like say a typical US mid west city in June, July or August but I've never found the humidity oppressive. It actually receives a lot less rain than it would if not protected by the Western Cordillera. An interesting weather event occurs every afternoon to the west of the city. During the morning clouds are pushed eastward across the Pacific Ocean by winds. By early afternoon they reach the Western Cordillera range and are forced upward where they encounter colder air and condense. A lot of rain is dropped on the western slope and lowlands leading up to the cordillera but when the clouds crest the cordillera they encounter a rain shadow which prevents them from producing rain over Cali and the Valle Del Cauca. This is what the Western Cordillera looks like every afternoon around 3 pm if you drive up the mountain north of Cali towards Dapa, La Cumbre, La Buitrera etc. The rain clouds have gathered over the cordillera but push no further.

To the north in Chocó Department at the village of Andagoya just south of the capital Quibdó the average annual rainfall is 524 inches with a record in the capitol of 781 inches in 1936. This is the highest annual rainfall in the western hemisphere.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:32:35 PM by buencamino3 »
Hermosamente feliz

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2017, 10:32:44 AM »
Sounds good. It's the humidity that's killer.  70--80 degrees and 10% humidity is perfect for me.

Where we live, it occasionally gets into the upper 90 % range--it can even get to 100% relative humidity early daylight morning and only be 70 degree temperature outside.  I sweat like hell and it's like you have to suck the oxygen out of the air.

It can even be 100% relative humidity here and no, it's NOT raining. Brutal.

If it weren't for central heating and air conditioning,  the population distribution would be very, very different. A lot less people would live in the south,  south western USA for starters. Same thing with mosquito and bug control in general.

We go from our air conditioned homes, to cars, shopping ---places that all have AC.

Then again, central heat and air can reduce the inside relative humidity to where it can be lower than Death Valley, so your skin gets dried out indoors. You can't win sometimes..
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline SkyNorth

• EL FUEGO
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2017, 11:40:11 AM »
Yep...I had a friend that said Sherman and Grant did little to hurt the South.  But Willis Carrier with one invention destroyed it.

We might add Ray Krok (and Doc Pemberton) to the turd list as well now that the world has diabetes ???

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2017, 11:40:11 AM »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2017, 03:34:32 PM »

Well Cali lies in a high valley, 1000m above sea level. It is almost always hot like say a typical US mid west city in June, July or August but I've never found the humidity oppressive. It actually receives a lot less rain than it would if not protected by the Western Cordillera. An interesting weather event occurs every afternoon to the west of the city. During the morning clouds are pushed eastward across the Pacific Ocean by winds. By early afternoon they reach the Western Cordillera range and are forced upward where they encounter colder air and condense. A lot of rain is dropped on the western slope and lowlands leading up to the cordillera but when the clouds crest the cordillera they encounter a rain shadow which prevents them from producing rain over Cali and the Valle Del Cauca. This is what the Western Cordillera looks like every afternoon around 3 pm if you drive up the mountain north of Cali towards Dapa, La Cumbre, La Buitrera etc. The rain clouds have gathered over the cordillera but push no further.

To the north in Chocó Department at the village of Andagoya just south of the capital Quibdó the average annual rainfall is 524 inches with a record in the capitol of 781 inches in 1936. This is the highest annual rainfall in the western hemisphere.

Thanks for the info B.C. I don't recall the humidity in Cali being terribly oppressive either. I do recall it being pleasant in the evenings and mornings.

Annual rainfall in Cali: 35 inches

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cali#Climate

Annual rainfall in Medellin: 69 inches

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medell%C3%ADn#Geography_and_climate

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2018, 10:11:07 AM »

The way I look at it...the more beta males out there that will support another man's children the more women will get pregnant by alpha males that will not care for their offspring.

Do your part to stop women from having children with losers....don't marry or cohabitate with any women that has another guys children.
You could probably cut the divorce rate in half by doing this also.

Cold, hard truth but again I agree with Cali 100%. If the stigma of a woman having a child out of wedlock still existed as it did in the past and single mothers were considered unmarriable, I think you'd see a lot fewer single mothers out here. This ball is in women's court. When they held off and made us work and wait for it we appreciated it a lot more and tended to stick around for the long haul. Even the women I know now that haven't traditionally "gave it up" quickly tend to have much more successful and productive relationships with men.

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »
I already have a ticket booked for Jan to go to Medellin. The issue is I am more attracted to the Calena look (darker skin, etc.).

I already booked a flight for Medellin because I like the city better than Cali and I've been chatting with this girl from Medellin who very much wants to meet me.

I am not a big fan of online dating or making a trip for one woman (although some guys on PL have hit the jackpot that way).

Of course, I'll have a Plan B and Plan C. But I am not impressed with what I see on Tinder for BOTH Medellin and Cali...just miserable. Cupid is only marginally better.

This lady from Medellin appears to have plenty going for her: educated, attractive, good family, intelligent, etc. Of course, you NEVER know about chemistry until you meet...

She is definitely not ugly. See link below (to be deleted soon).

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n544/basketcase2/Photo07.jpg

The catch for me is I go more for a darker look (and slightly more curves) than this lady.  I just don't know how I will react in person...

In my brief visit to Medellin I did see more diversity in skin tone than I expected. But in Cali I am like a kid in at Disneyland...just love the overall look.

I know it sounds juvenile to be so focused on a particular physical type but I have been attracted to dark, petite brunettes for 20 plus years.

My new year's resolution: take JWR's advice and hit Tijuana more often (only a 2.5 hour drive for me). These "one-week" trips to South America are a blast but they are much more difficult to build a social circle which can net you a lot of solid prospects.
Personally, I'd still say go for the city where the most women are that are up your alley, which it seems would be Cali or Barranquilla.  Unless of course you already have a connection with a particular woman. 

But then I also still think given your circumstances, using an agency like Jamie's is a very good choice.  It allows you to have dates set up right away and permits you to sort out who's who. 

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2018, 03:44:10 PM »
The question of climate came up with the girl I've been talking to in Medellin. She asked me when are the "cold" months in my city. I told her that where I live (So. Calif) the climate is relatively temperate but the cold months are typically Dec., January and February.

She replied, "Oh wow and they are all in a row!"

I guess when you live in the tropics and the weather is basically the same all year....the concept of seasons is not something you are used to.....

Offline buencamino3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2018, 11:14:51 AM »
Generally the Colombian Andes have two wet seasons, mid March to mid June and October to mid December which Colombians call Invierno The longest dry season is from June through September and is called verano. What affects temperature more than the season though is altitude. It decreases about 6 degrees C for each 1000m increase in elevation
Hermosamente feliz

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
^Yes, the wet and dry periods are their "seasons"...but as someone from the USA I am intrigued with how constant the temps are down there (assuming one stays at the same elevation).

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2018, 12:01:48 AM »
The question of climate came up with the girl I've been talking to in Medellin. She asked me when are the "cold" months in my city. I told her that where I live (So. Calif) the climate is relatively temperate but the cold months are typically Dec., January and February.

She replied, "Oh wow and they are all in a row!"

I guess when you live in the tropics and the weather is basically the same all year....the concept of seasons is not something you are used to.....

OMG. The seasons! After 14 years of living here, my wife still asks me what season we are in, what season is next and when it starts. Then when I tell her the date that a season starts like say, winter on December 21 and we have a few warm days after that, she will ask me, "How is it so warm? I thought you said it was winter now?". I will respond, it's not like freaking tap water that you turn on and off. It fluctuates. This is stuff even a six year old who has lived here all his or her life would know. I think they have a mental block about seasons. 

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2018, 12:35:28 AM »
^Too funny...yep sounds familiar.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2018, 03:55:48 PM »
^Too funny...yep sounds familiar.

It's funny how things like the seasons, grasping geographical directions, being able to do things here that are unusual for women back home---even the concept of 'time' itself, can be a bit different for a woman taken from  3rd world nation and planted here in the USA.

Aside from a stubborn resistance to ever (after doing it once to pass her driver's license exam) parallel park again,  my wife's an amazing driver. Safe,  never speeds, never got a ticket.

But yet at least once a month, she says: "I can't believe I'm actually driving a car".

She's brilliant in complex Math, the sort you do in high end science and computers, but basic 'mental math' I smoke her, but I get lost at decimals and algebra's an enigma for me.

I teased my wife the other day, saying her Math and logic reminded me of statements the late, great N.Y. Yankee Hall of Famer catcher, Yogi Berra made.

Yogi was famous for saying crazy things, things that while they evaded logic, they still kinda made sense.

At an Italian restaurant, the waiter asked: "Mr. Berra, Would you like your pizza cut into four or six slices?"

Yogi replied: " Better make it four, I'm not that hungry"

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
I've heard several times of women from tropical climates, who came here in the winter, looked at all the leaveless trees and asked: "Why did they all die?"

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats