It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Dennis Levy  (Read 47457 times)

Offline Jamie

• Commercial Member
    • http://International-Introductions.com
Re: Dennis Levy
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 08:36:40 AM »
It’s sad what happened to Dennis. I suppose most people on here who live in Colombia have met Dennis as I had. I never understood some of the arguments some had with him. Like most arguments on here, if those persons had met each other in person they would less likely have any hostility towards each other. Dennis did things his way and there are always risk (but not necessarily death) when we take a less used path.

I find it strange that he resisted giving up values to a robber. I would think he would have known better. However, any information from Colombia even on the news should be regarded as questionable. Just because someone said he resisted does not mean that happened.

It is common knowledge that when you stay in low cost rooms you receive less security. Robberies at urban hostels are not unusual. Being married, it also seems strange that he was still staying in hostels instead of with his wife.
Engage the Exotic - Latin Women
http://International-Introductions.com

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • Russian Women Discussion
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »
Folks,

It now seems the sad news of Dennis Levy's murder is true. I have made this topic a 'sticky' so that anyone who wishes may pay their tributes to Dennis.

My sincere condolences to Dennis' family and friends.

R.I.P.

- Dan

Offline raycjs

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »
to Dennis and his family may he RIP

Ray
Ray from OHIO

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 10:10:17 AM »
I didn't want to believe it but it looks like the sad news is true.

My condolences to the Levy family & friends.

R.I.P.

If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline John Q. Public

• Probie
  • Spouse's Country: Peru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 10:22:50 AM »
So apparently his wife wasn't with him & he
was staying in a hostel(?!).
I echo what Jamie said, that is strange.
Anyway, my condolences to Dennis & family.
JQP
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:59:41 AM by John Q. Public, Reason: Misspelled words »

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 10:34:10 AM »
doesnt make sense to me either, why would he be staying in a hostel when he is married??? but its medellin, nothing there makes sense. sad sad day for his family.

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
This is bad news
I thought Dennis was older then 49. Is it possible that this is a different guy and why was he at a Hostal when he was married?

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline InnocentVixen

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »
I didn't post yesterday because I thought it was too much drama to be true, I still hope it's a misunderstanding because things don't sound quite right but sometimes things like this happens I guess, if it's true this is very sad news... descanse en paz... if it's not what a sick joke and my feelings remain, RIP.

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »

I met Dennis some years back. I was engaged to my wife so that part of my journey was over but he had just arrived and was beginning his. We talked about Colombia and foreign women in general. I was glad to see that he got to travel Colombia and other parts of SA but it is sad that his journey ended the way it did.

My condolences to his family.

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline John Q. Public

• Probie
  • Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
This is bad news
I thought Dennis was older then 49. Is it possible that this is a different guy and why was he at a Hostal when he was married?

KB

I think I read on another thread that he said
he was 59 & his wife 55.
His name was misspelt too but that wouldn't be the
1st time a news source got their info wrong.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • Russian Women Discussion
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »
Re: Age disparity in the newspaper. I suspect it is merely a bit of sloppy reporting - unfortunately.

Re: Dennis' wife's whereabouts and staying at a hostel, etc. The simple truth of it is that none of that matters - except to satisfy curiosities. This topic should be about paying one's respects for Dennis and recognizing his life. Speculation and 2nd-guessing or other such nonsense is disrespectful. Please keep your comments respectful.

Thanks.

- Dan

Offline fathertime

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 12:21:59 PM »
rest in peace dennislevy.  you will be missed by everyone.

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »
RIP Dennis and many condolences to his family & friends and those who knew him

Sad that you will not be around when I will prove you wrong about our arguments 2 years ago. 

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
Well, damn.  That just sucks.  I was hoping he'd be able to morph into the Dave H of Colombia, livin' the dream in-country with his best gal by his side.  I'll miss his contributions to the forum.  My sympathies to his family.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline singlefather no more

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2012, 01:28:44 PM »

Man o man this is hard to believe. It was not long ago that he left Chiclayo to go back to Gloria. I did not meet Dennis in person until last fall when he came to Chiclayo. I got to know Dennis in person quite well. This is very sad and my condolences go to his Wife and his son. I remember sitting with him before he left Chiclayo. He said he had been traveling for many months but he realized the woman he loved was his wife.

Whenever I visited Dennis he would always be on the computer in the reception area of whatever hostel he was staying at. Dennis loved to walk all around the city and talk to everybody. It is such a tragedy that shortly after he got married to his love this happened.

RIP Dennis.

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2012, 05:52:11 PM »
Major shocker. Goodbye Dennis - sad to see just as he was turning a new chapter this happened.

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »

A real tragedy indeed!

Dennis and his wife are in my prayers...

Ray

Offline whitey

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 06:56:55 PM »
I didn't know Dennis really well, mostly from his posts on various forums, and a few emails, but we did share a coffee together (yes, just coffee) and so he was very real to me ...

I'm very saddened and troubled by his death, especially at this time and in that way, and my heart goes out to his wife Gloria, his family, and friends. 

It's particularly sad and sobering for those of us with Colombian wives or novias, who may be living in Colombia, or who may just be thinking of traveling and/or retiring there ... life is cheap in Colombia, and you never know what could happen, no matter how experienced you are.

Dennis always had a kind word for me and for Nazly, in fact that was one of the last things he posted on this site the night before he died.  I've never understood the depth of dislike some of his detractors had.  Dennis always seemed to me to be a straightforward guy, who told of his life in Colombia in much detail (maybe too much for some), and honestly tried to impart advice.

He made no bones about the fact that he enjoyed dating lot's of women, that he enjoyed speaking with them, having coffees and lunches, and learning the culture from them.  And occassionally, if they both wanted, more than just coffee.  He wasn't working, had a lot of time on his hands, and I think this was basically his passion, hobby, and way of learning Spanish ... until he'd had enough after 2 or 3 years and decided to settle down.  I chose to take him at his word on that ... others just seemed to get inflamed about it.

He also detailed his expenses in many of his posts, which were always modest as I believe he was trying to live within a relatively modest pension.  Some people, instead of finding this information to be useful, chose instead to consider him cheap. 

It's truly a sad day, I will remember Dennis, and I'm not sure I'll be able to look at Colombia the same way again.

Bendiciones amigo ...
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline no comment

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2012, 07:05:35 PM »
Rest in peace, vaya con dios.

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »
I didn't know Dennis really well, mostly from his posts on various forums, and a few emails, but we did share a coffee together (yes, just coffee) and so he was very real to me ...

I'm very saddened and troubled by his death, especially at this time and in that way, and my heart goes out to his wife Gloria, his family, and friends. 

It's particularly sad and sobering for those of us with Colombian wives or novias, who may be living in Colombia, or who may just be thinking of traveling and/or retiring there ... life is cheap in Colombia, and you never know what could happen, no matter how experienced you are.

Dennis always had a kind word for me and for Nazly, in fact that was one of the last things he posted on this site the night before he died.  I've never understood the depth of dislike some of his detractors had.  Dennis always seemed to me to be a straightforward guy, who told of his life in Colombia in much detail (maybe too much for some), and honestly tried to impart advice.

He made no bones about the fact that he enjoyed dating lot's of women, that he enjoyed speaking with them, having coffees and lunches, and learning the culture from them.  And occassionally, if they both wanted, more than just coffee.  He wasn't working, had a lot of time on his hands, and I think this was basically his passion, hobby, and way of learning Spanish ... until he'd had enough after 2 or 3 years and decided to settle down.  I chose to take him at his word on that ... others just seemed to get inflamed about it.

He also detailed his expenses in many of his posts, which were always modest as I believe he was trying to live within a relatively modest pension.  Some people, instead of finding this information to be useful, chose instead to consider him cheap. 

It's truly a sad day, I will remember Dennis, and I'm not sure I'll be able to look at Colombia the same way again.

Bendiciones amigo ...
He was always positive and welcoming to new members here, and open enough that he even used his real name as his screen name...His contributions to this forum will be missed....For me as someone who will be marrying in Colombia and visiting my wife's family repeatedly, this serves as a sobering reminder of how dangerous a place it can be.....

Offline Zon

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 03:32:29 AM »
I knew Dennis.  He was an adventurer and one that LIVED LIFE FULL.  I think he lived more in his last 3 years than most men live in 3 life times.

RIP with no regrets.

Offline Sailover

• Probie
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »
Dreadful news. Dennis and I had our differences, but he said what he meant and lived the way he wanted. Via con Dios Denny and deep condolences to Gloria.

Offline John W

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »
This is socking and very sad.  I never met Dennis but had a lot of respect for him and greatly appreciated his informative posts and willingness to help others.  According to this report on Fox News Latino, Dennis died trying to assist the receptionist at the hostel who was being beaten during a  robbery. 

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/04/26/asesinan-estadounidense-en-colombia/#ixzz1tF9yA5Sj

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 01:34:11 PM by John W »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »

Offline InnocentVixen

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »
but we did share a coffee together (yes, just coffee) and so he was very real to me ...
Even when he stopped posting for a long time, whenever someone talked about having "coffee" it reminded me of him and I didn't even met the guy in person or had any interaction with him other than the forum  ;D  it became a bit like his personal signature

Offline charlie640

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »
I was deeply shocked by the news.  VERY tragic.  He will be sorely missed !  I met him at LAI a few years back, just before he decided to live their full time.  I wanted to meet him while I was in MED last month but sadly we never hooked up. 

If the killer is not caught soon, we should give serious consideration to starting a reward fund and publicizing the Reward.   The other 2 members of the gang of 3 that did not pull the trigger might rat out the killer if the $$$$  is tempting enough.  Someone of impeccable character, living in Colombia, should be the one to head this reward effort.   I for one will be a big donor.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:27:11 PM by charlie640 »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864