It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Be Careful What You Wish For - Roll the Dice Despite a 20+ Yr Age Gap?  (Read 40578 times)

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Be Careful What You Wish For - Roll the Dice Despite a 20+ Yr Age Gap?
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2020, 10:35:48 AM »

I say give her a pass....I have never married a chick that I wasn't into 100 percent and I don't recommend that you do it either.

^Yep, the writing is on the wall. That pretty much sums it up for me.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2020, 10:47:58 AM »
Well.. I guess it is true..men are more superficial than women.

Not saying that I am any different..just an observation.

Well I'd say we are superficial about different things. So I'd call it about even between male and female superficiality.

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode (the American sitcom) where Jerry is dating a cashier. Turns out she can't get into him when she founds out he is a comedian and doesn't like his act. Jerry's response is like, "WTF? You are a cashier!?!?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3kTYCLSgsg

Later in the same episode he makes the point that many women LOVE doctors....a job focused on the body/health, etc. Where as guys pretty much just want the body...we don't care what the girl does for a living.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »
Perhaps you should consider getting a dog. ;)

What the heck does that gotto do with the price of eggs in Denmark?

I was being grateful for being born a man , in a non third world country, with oportunities..and lots to thank for..

And you twist my words around so they have a different meaning.??

Ever wonder why there are so few visitors to this.site.Robert.?
Maybe it has something ti do with a couple of Narcisstic self absorbed posters who take thier pleasure in twisting peoples words around to make some obscure derogatory point ( they call that " gaslighting "you know)

At least Calipro would stay closer to the.topic and say I was a Feminist loving mangina because I am highlighting the plight and disadvantages of being born with the femal sex. ( In times of peace anyway)

Now you can go back to your lengthy"soliloquys" LOL

Have a good day
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:54:36 PM by Elexpatriado »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2020, 02:00:42 PM »
Well I'd say we are superficial about different things. So I'd call it about even between male and female superficiality.

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode (the American sitcom) where Jerry is dating a cashier. Turns out she can't get into him when she founds out he is a comedian and doesn't like his act. Jerry's response is like, "WTF? You are a cashier!?!?"

Later in the same episode he makes the point that many women LOVE doctors....a job focused on the body/health, etc. Where as guys pretty much just want the body...we don't care what the girl does for a living.

In reality you or I cant speak for everyone.

Every person is different.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2020, 04:47:09 PM »
In reality you or I cant speak for everyone.

Every person is different.

Of course not. Nor did I suggest I was speaking for everyone.

Was just making a general observation about (some) men and (some) women. 

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2020, 09:45:45 PM »

Great stuff. So true, especially in this 'me too' - 'politically correct' 'new victorian' era--it's gotten to the point that it seems the media is trying to pressure guys into being prudish sheep.

I got sooo tired of working in workplaces where you had to think twice before politely saying to a woman: "Gee that's a pretty dress' and risk being called into H.R.

That was a reason why I quit. Men are from Mars--women from Venus. It's been that way forever--but some parties would like to create an interplanetary disturbance.

But we apparently nonetheless still have knights in shining armor out there, sincerely supporting the cause:

"I am highlighting the plight and disadvantages of being born with the femal sex.[size=0px]"[/size]

[/size]It just warms the cockles of my heart![size=0px]
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2020, 08:59:43 AM »
I think that today, especially if say you were a fifty year old guy from Omaha Nebraska, divorced w/ kids and suddenly 'back in the dating' game--you'd be shocked and dismayed. Probably to some degree in all 50 states, actually--just a gut feeling

Such a guy probably wouldn't even think of looking abroad although what he would see here is a lot of women with over inflated self valuations of themselves. Guys do it too, and there's a lot of hurt and damaged all around, but between misplaced senses of entitlement and self misconceptions on physical desirability it's mess out there.

Yeah,, I'm jaded--I think I hit the gold mine on looks and more this time around, Have said before that I would go overseas again if I had to, But when I was even divorced,'fortyish' and 'on the market' in the good ole USA--it seemed like all the good fish were caught already and that the available ones were overvalued and far from fresh overall.

And on the dating sites overseas, the women have gotten heavier and more out of shape overall at younger ages.

Our western style fast food and other junk food/poison being available everywhere doesn't help. And then, the average age gap a pretty babe will say she'll consider, that has gone wayy down. Hit 60 and you're excluded a lot more, upfront anyway. Used to be women put "Age wanted" ~ "30 to 99" a lot more! LOL. Maybe "60 is the new 99"

'Dating' sucked when I was in that scene--I abhor even the thought of doing it here and even abroad again. At least abroad though, I know I'd have fun each trip, having set things up with options ahead of time.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:46:10 AM by robert angel »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2020, 12:31:15 AM »
Update to the thread: I gave her the (bad) news. Not going back to visit her, etc. She went from sad to disbelief to angry and back to disappointed but calm/friendly.

Then in a minor plot twist she gave me some other information:
-Her Ex (who I referenced earlier in the thread) had hit her and her sister after a night of drinking;
-She had a restraining order filed against him shortly after that (3 months ago);
-But he somehow found out I visited her recently so he went by her work the other day to insult her (in violation of the restraining order);

I asked her if that was the FIRST time he had hit her. She said yes. I also offered her help with a lawyer. But she said don't worry as the owners of the business she works for are helping her with a lawyer.

I asked her how her ex found out I had visited her. She said she wasn't sure but perhaps he saw us together. WTF? So I asked where he lives and she said she is not sure where he is living now.

The most disturbing part to me is she said, "He is always watching me. That is one reason I don't want to live in Panama anymore."

Little boys like her Ex turn me into a full blown feminist: we should sterilize phuck-heads like this and hang'em by the balls.

Also, she sent me a photo of the restraining order: it has her name, her sister's name and his name in clear print on it. 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:45:40 AM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2020, 02:35:57 PM »
My gut feeling...she’s playing on your emotions to try and manipulate you. This belief is based on a ton of assumptions so correct me if I’m wrong, but this is how they work. You shouldn’t ever be insulted by a woman behaving that way in Latin America. It’s one of their strongest defense mechanisms in a machismo culture where they still aren’t viewed as equals in many aspects.

1. Why is all that just coming up? You’ve been there all that time in the crosshairs of a potentially psycho ex-boyfriend, but she’s just mentioning that now that you’re breaking it off with her...mmmmmm. ???

2. You description of him (handsome and in shape) would lead me to believe he probably has plenty of other options. Your girl is pretty, but we all know it gets better. Personally, if he’s behaving in a possessive way, she’s probably monkey-barring. Not 100% sure things are going to work out with you because you’ve flaked before, so probably still giving him hope on some level.

3. How did he find out you were there? She told him. Maybe not directly but I don’t think she was completely ignorant of the fact that letting other people know would eventually get back to him. Don’t let these girls play stupid with you. Most women assume we think like them with respect to desiring envy. A girl doesn’t want a $2500 handbag because she likes the way it looks. She wants it because all the other girls do. They’re the same with men. Other girls being attracted to us makes us more desirable to even more women. Even if they’re not exactly attracted to you. So I’ve experienced dozens of women trying to use the affections of one man to gain another’s. Men don’t quite work that way though. We just want what we want.

Just my 2 cents...but I’ll admit to being jaded by Colombianas a bit. I think you’re making a very good decision.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 02:40:46 PM by benjio »

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2020, 03:59:27 PM »
Update to the thread: I gave her the (bad) news. Not going back to visit her, etc. She went from sad to disbelief to angry and back to disappointed but calm/friendly.

-Her Ex (who I referenced earlier in the thread) had hit her and her sister after a night of drinking;
-She had a restraining order filed against him shortly after that (3 months ago);
-But he somehow found out I visited her recently so he went by her work the other day to insult her (in violation of the restraining order);

I asked her if that was the FIRST time he had hit her. She said yes. I also offered her help with a lawyer. But she said don't worry as the owners of the business she works for are helping her with a lawyer.

I asked her how her ex found out I had visited her. She said she wasn't sure but perhaps he saw us together. WTF? So I asked where he lives and she said she is not sure where he is living now.

The most disturbing part to me is she said, "He is always watching me. That is one reason I don't want to live in Panama anymore."

Little boys like her Ex turn me into a full blown feminist: we should sterilize phuck-heads like this and hang'em by the balls.

Also, she sent me a photo of the restraining order: it has her name, her sister's name and his name in clear print on it.

Looks like you made the right decision.

I've gotten phone calls from jealous boyfriends before in Colombia and it isn't fun. I always break it off immediately when that happens. The way I see it the chick isn't taking care of you if her boyfriend finds out and maybe she is letting him find out about you to make him jealous and get him back.

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2020, 04:29:48 PM »

Too much of a red flag for me. There may be more to the story....plenty of women over there don't have these types of issues...

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2020, 06:36:36 PM »
It gets even stranger so the red flags go up even more:

My official "break up" with her was 24 hours ago as summarized in my last post.

First thing this morning I get a message from her asking me to NOT answer or respond to any messages from her best friend (roommate) or her mother.

I am calling her friend "Maria" and her Ex "Jose".  Sure enough both "Maria" and her mother have messaged me today. I've not replied yet....

Her message to me was as follows, "I want to ask you a favor. Maria saw me crying this morning. I lied to her and told her you would not see me anymore because Jose wrote to you and you got upset and that is why you will not be with me anymore. I will also tell that to my family so they don't stop seeing you as a great man. Maria says she will write to you to explain that Jose is a liar. Please do not answer her. Don't tell her it was you that broke it off. I feel bad because I told everyone we were together and planning to be married. I feel ashamed and insignificant since I told them we would be together."

^To be clear, that text message was from my girl (or my ex-girl).

Could just be a face saving measure in line with what Benjio wrote or something else? 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:39:12 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2020, 08:24:03 PM »
Most of your assumptions seem pretty sound......

My gut feeling...she’s playing on your emotions to try and manipulate you. This belief is based on a ton of assumptions so correct me if I’m wrong, but this is how they work. You shouldn’t ever be insulted by a woman behaving that way in Latin America. It’s one of their strongest defense mechanisms in a machismo culture where they still aren’t viewed as equals in many aspects.

1. Why is all that just coming up? You’ve been there all that time in the crosshairs of a potentially psycho ex-boyfriend, but she’s just mentioning that now that you’re breaking it off with her...mmmmmm. ???

I only asked about her break-up once and that was very briefly when we first re-connected. I figured it wasn't any of my business. But yes I was there walking around and "potentially" in harm's way....

2. You description of him (handsome and in shape) would lead me to believe he probably has plenty of other options. Your girl is pretty, but we all know it gets better. Personally, if he’s behaving in a possessive way, she’s probably monkey-barring. Not 100% sure things are going to work out with you because you’ve flaked before, so probably still giving him hope on some level.

No doubt the guy probably plays the field OFTEN and for whatever it's worth I am pretty certain he has a kid from another lady.

Edit: Actually, the guy apparently does NOT have a kid.   

Yes, she could be monkey barring...though rather pathetic/sad if she is considering keeping him around given the domestic abuse restraining order, etc.

3. How did he find out you were there? She told him. Maybe not directly but I don’t think she was completely ignorant of the fact that letting other people know would eventually get back to him. Don’t let these girls play stupid with you. Most women assume we think like them with respect to desiring envy. A girl doesn’t want a $2500 handbag because she likes the way it looks. She wants it because all the other girls do. They’re the same with men. Other girls being attracted to us makes us more desirable to even more women. Even if they’re not exactly attracted to you. So I’ve experienced dozens of women trying to use the affections of one man to gain another’s. Men don’t quite work that way though. We just want what we want.Just my 2 cents...but I’ll admit to being jaded by Colombianas a bit. I think you’re making a very good decision.

Yep, very possible...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:00:18 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2020, 08:24:03 PM »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2020, 08:53:31 PM »

First thing this morning I get a message from her asking me to NOT answer or respond to any messages from her best friend (roommate) or her mother.

I am calling her friend "Maria" and her Ex "Jose".  Sure enough both "Maria" and her mother have messaged me today. I've not replied yet....

Her message to me was as follows, "I want to ask you a favor. Maria saw me crying this morning. I lied to her and told her you would not see me anymore because Jose wrote to you and you got upset and that is why you will not be with me anymore. I will also tell that to my family so they don't stop seeing you as a great man. Maria says she will write to you to explain that Jose is a liar. Please do not answer her. Don't tell her it was you that broke it off. I feel bad because I told everyone we were together and planning to be married. I feel ashamed and insignificant since I told them we would be together."

Could just be a face saving measure in line with what Benjio wrote or something else?
Sounds like she is trying to save face with her family...

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2020, 09:42:40 PM »
Sounds like she is trying to save face with her family...

Agree with Mambo and also Hector on this point. Pride is all too important there and women hate to be viewed as the one that was on the receiving end of a “dump.”

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2020, 12:24:58 AM »
Agree with Mambo and also Hector on this point. Pride is all too important there and women hate to be viewed as the one that was on the receiving end of a “dump.”
She and her family were probably talking about how a (wealthy) gringo was going to bring her to the States, and the gossip mill is pretty vicious...She's 29 and still not married,  which is cause for concern in most 3rd world countries...

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2020, 08:31:10 AM »
^Agreed it is a pride thing. And she is getting up there in age, etc.

I might be naïve but I think everything else she is telling me is on the up and up.

I don't really blame her for not telling me about the domestic violence before now. I didn't pry her for info about her break up before.

Is it a ploy to make me feel sorry for her now? Perhaps but I am glad she told me. 

I may not be marrying the girl but I do want to see her happy, safe and secure in her future. So I asked her about the guy and if she ever considered getting back with him. She was pretty adamant that wouldn't be happening.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 08:34:24 AM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2020, 10:06:27 AM »
^Agreed it is a pride thing. And she is getting up there in age, etc.

I might be naïve but I think everything else she is telling me is on the up and up.

I don't really blame her for not telling me about the domestic violence before now. I didn't pry her for info about her break up before.

Is it a ploy to make me feel sorry for her now? Perhaps but I am glad she told me. 

I may not be marrying the girl but I do want to see her happy, safe and secure in her future. So I asked her about the guy and if she ever considered getting back with him. She was pretty adamant that wouldn't be happening.
She sounds like a good woman.  Unfortunately for her, the reality is you as a 52 year old gringo have better options in latin America than she does as a 29 year old woman...

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2020, 01:05:07 PM »

I say give her a pass....I have never married a chick that I wasn't into 100 percent and I don't recommend that you do it either.

The most useful 26 words of this thread.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2020, 01:41:20 PM »
--> I have never married a chick that I wasn't into 100 percent<--- that and Benjio's psychological insights on interpersonal dynamics down there are highly recommended reading for this thread.  Benjio eloquently made  me realize I didn't have a lot figured out on this one --nor for the region in general.  I realize it's a very different game than even I realized. Currents and under currents---have to know how to 'read' the water from the surface...

Then again, it's different in a lot of places. The internet's insta - availability, FB etc--has changed the game-it's more a numbers game now, but women being from Venus, guy's from Mars--is still as true as ever.  Different animals.

Understanding social and psychological elements along with that is vital.

Kudos to Hector...

Not a game for the faint of heart--looking now at a couple babes I ditched who I felt 'sorry' for--for whom I had mixed emotions on calling it off on--but also INCLUDING my 1st wife, who had pitiful memories galore that contributed to a huge red flag. That was a FOURTEEN year nightmare.

Nonetheless forever glad I had two kids in that marriage--wish I never had a vasectomy and that I had more children with my 2nd wife. It'd be great having the sound of little kid's laughter and energy in the house a second time.

90% of single USA women over age 50 have dogs....

Age 32, 52 or 62++, really regardless of age, it's just too big a deal to get into a binding contract like marriage USA style, if there's ANY uncertainty.

It's just too damn hard to "Undo the I do!" --words on an Atlanta billboard that my wife laughed scornfully at recently. But then again--my 1st wife, from the SAME country, embraced those words and ran with them for the money. Two vastly different people.

If I were a single 52 y/o, unless that  "100% right, no doubt" came along, I'd wait until I could retire and do it all in THEIR country.

Some look at getting old as like a ticking time bomb, telling them they have to marry and have kids by 'X' date/time.

It's a bomb alright!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:44:20 PM by robert angel »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2020, 05:59:00 PM »
Probably a topic for another thread but what are her chances of getting to the USA via:

1. A tourist visa;
2. a student visa;

No, I haven't changed my mind but she is asking me questions about the above....

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2020, 04:39:06 PM »
Probably a topic for another thread but what are her chances of getting to the USA via:

1. A tourist visa;
2. a student visa;

No, I haven't changed my mind but she is asking me questions about the above....

Soooo, 3000 reads later, I don't see a clear 'stop' or 'intersection' sign in this picture.

No worry any which way. I almost never completely  burned my bridges with old GFs, USA or overseas.  Still would get a hug and kiss from just about all of them if we chanced to see each other again.

There's a couple lovely ex GFs of mine who are from my wife's country. Even though I haven't kept in contact with them, she loosely stays in touch with them via FB.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2020, 07:59:33 PM »
Soooo, 3000 reads later, I don't see a clear 'stop' or 'intersection' sign in this picture.

No worry any which way. I almost never completely  burned my bridges with old GFs, USA or overseas.  Still would get a hug and kiss from just about all of them if we chanced to see each other again.

There's a couple lovely ex GFs of mine who are from my wife's country. Even though I haven't kept in contact with them, she loosely stays in touch with them via FB.

Of course there's always a few women who we've tangled with, ones that we run away from, like dogs with tails on fire, hoping to never see again!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2020, 07:59:33 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2020, 09:08:52 PM »

1. A tourist visa;
2. a student visa;

Done~dun~dun~done.....

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2020, 08:35:08 PM »

Seems like longer than 8 months since drama like the above was around here. Not that a pandemic lends itself to setting up such scenarios these days....

I rolled the dice on 'the 20+ yr age gap' and feel very fortunate to still be glad I did.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 08:37:51 PM by robert angel »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 293