It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Marriage in Riga  (Read 4368 times)

Offline loverinneed

• Probie
Marriage in Riga
« on: June 13, 2006, 05:49:45 PM »
I'm really in love with a russian girl from Riga. She can't get a visa for Canada (she has no Latvian passport nor citizenship). So we plan to marry in Latvia. Will it be easy for her to migrate to Canada after our marriage?  

Offline Killer-B

• Global Moderator
  • "Screw you guys... I'm going home!"
RE: Marriage in Riga
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 07:26:03 AM »
Quote from: loverinneed
I'm really in love with a Russian girl from Riga. She can't get a visa for Canada (she has no Latvian passport nor citizenship). So we plan to marry in Latvia. Will it be easy for her to migrate to Canada after our marriage?  

You have several things in play here... But need to ask some basic Q's first...

Have you ever met this gal in Riga? If not, need to rethink your stated plan "above"...

Or if you have met already, how on earth could she NOT have Latvian citizenship?? - Will assume she is not native, then, well, where DOES she come from? - That will be your deciding factors in all this. Her true home country - Sounds like she's on a student visa to Latvia if I were a betting man :)

Will also assume from your question that you are Canadian - Since I'm only current with USA immigration laws - I really can't speak to what Canada will seek or need for her entry... There are several "options" to explore though... You mentioned K-3 ... Sounds (on the surface) like the way to go - but without the other info, can't recommend one way or another...

As a side note, not to take away from the fine folks here at Goodwife here - but you may wish to re-post this same question on our Russian sister site, www.russianwomendiscussion.com for I know there are several "active" Canadian members there that have just brought over their wives with little or no issues - You may wanna PM "David63" (on RWD) I know he just went thru all this a few months ago -

Cheers -

KB

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:32:07 PM »
It could be screwy Baltic country politics.  When they split from the Soviet Union, a lot of ethnic Russians, Ukranians, et al, that had lived there all their lives became citizens without a country, denied Latvian (Estonian, Lithuanian) citizenship but having no connection or rights in their parents' home FSU country.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:32:07 PM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0