It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: La suegra (hers)  (Read 1913 times)

Offline InnocentVixen

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
La suegra (hers)
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:04:28 PM »

I almost hijacked a thread but I got so curious after reading mambo's post that I figured I might as well open my own. How is your mom's relationship with your novia/wife or how has it been with an ex? does the different culture affect in your case?

To me, la suegra is sacred.
I don't really remember reading much if any about suegras around here other than the novia's mother. It's a shame if they are missing out due language, mine is pretty darn amazing and it's actually a bit funny to see her jump to my defense when in my country daughters in law are usually seen as the enemy. I feel a bit bad for W sometimes and I try not to take advantage of it haha.

If anything I get a bit uncomfortable sometimes because she seems to have mexican women in such high regard, I feel like I will mess up the reputation of my whole country. Slightly intimidating but I feel very lucky.

Interesting fact, W's mom speaks better spanish than W but we have yet to have a spanish conversation.

Offline Awesome

Re: La suegra (hers)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:42:33 PM »

I almost hijacked a thread but I got so curious after reading mambo's post that I figured I might as well open my own. How is your mom's relationship with your novia/wife or how has it been with an ex? does the different culture affect in your case?

To me, la suegra is sacred.
I don't really remember reading much if any about suegras around here other than the novia's mother. It's a shame if they are missing out due language, mine is pretty darn amazing and it's actually a bit funny to see her jump to my defense when in my country daughters in law are usually seen as the enemy. I feel a bit bad for W sometimes and I try not to take advantage of it haha.

If anything I get a bit uncomfortable sometimes because she seems to have mexican women in such high regard, I feel like I will mess up the reputation of my whole country. Slightly intimidating but I feel very lucky.

Interesting fact, W's mom speaks better spanish than W but we have yet to have a spanish conversation.

Fyp.  And good topic.

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:39:07 PM »
My wife and my mom have a great relationship. Communication is all in English since my mom doesn't speak Spanish...

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:39:07 PM »

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:03:46 PM »

woopsie, didn't noticed the text got messed up,
thanks awe for fixing it.

By the numbers of responses I wonder if there is simply no relationship between the novia and the suegra usually...

Which makes me wonder what is a normal son/mother relationship in other places... I remember talking to a few guys who did not talk to their mother and I always saw it like a bad sign even though I was going out of my way to not end up with a mommy's boy.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:06:20 PM by InnocentVixen, Reason: text got messed up again! »

Offline michaelb

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 10:25:13 AM »
Mine got along fine. Then my mother died.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 09:27:24 PM »
My wife and my mother always got along fine even in spite of the language barrier between them. I remember when my mother died a few years ago, my oldest stepson called me to say how sorry he was. I never cried about my mother's death except then when I got a little dewy eyed. I was moved by his simple gesture and how genuine it was.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 10:25:57 AM »
My wife and my mother always got along fine even in spite of the language barrier between them. I remember when my mother died a few years ago, my oldest stepson called me to say how sorry he was. I never cried about my mother's death except then when I got a little dewy eyed. I was moved by his simple gesture and how genuine it was.

He sounds like a great kid.

Fathertime!   
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 04:04:42 PM »
My Mom,  Dad and sisters just love my wife to a wonderful extent. I have a great relationship with them too, and although I don't mind, in fact I find it funny - - - they always send her something nicer than I'll get for Christmas, for her birthday,  etc. They never forget her. Whereas I'll maybe get a $75 gift card to Amazon,  they'll send her a $100+ gift card to Gap,  Banana Republic,  Old Navy. LOL

My Dad and two sisters take great care of my Mom,  who with advanced Parkinson' disease,  has some 'so so' days,  as well as some pretty tough ones. When we're all together and my Mom needs a bit of help dressing,  personal care etc. it's not unusual for her to ask my wife to be the one to help her. They have such a bond,  along with my sisters, that I sometimes sit back and wonder how people from such different worlds can be as one. While not a regular thing,  her parents and mine exchange a card or personal letter occasionally,  which is also cool.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 08:22:50 AM »

He sounds like a great kid.

Fathertime!

Yeah he is. My two daughters who are older than him are his big sisters that he relies on much of the time for advice about everything from fashion ti helping him with his resume. In fact there is a lot that my wife is not aware of that goes on among her children and mine, their get togethers etc.

Offline V_Man

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 06:32:11 PM »
For us, las suegras are both dead and we never met the other's. I reckon my wife and my mother would have got along very well indeed. My mother would have been thrilled for me as well.

Los suegros are both alive and well.
Unfortunately mi suegro is from Tolima and he speaks spanish like he is barking and mumbling at the same time. I can hardly understand anything he says. I have (almost) conversational spanish but I need people to speak slowly and clearly. Colombians normally speak clearly so that if they speak a little slower than normal speech I can keep up with the conversation as long as I concentrate hard. Unfortunately mi suegro is one of the few Colombians that I can't understand. It was a long time before I even understood a whole sentence from him. He doesn't speak a single word of English. Not even Hello. In spite of this we respect each other immensely and we only have good things to say about each other. I hope that when we go back to Colombia, I will be able to understand more of what he says.

My wife has a good relationship with su suegro. They get along really well. She fusses over him and he goes out of his way for her. He only knows a few words of Spanish but he uses them on her. For example everything is "buena". He doesn't know bueno or bien - just buena. Hence everything is buena. She doesn't correct him. She just appreciates that he makes an effort.

La novia de mi papa habla espanol. My sister also knows a few words in Spanish. So she gets a few Spanish words from them although her English is so much better these days anyway.

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »
@V_Man sadly the only advice I can give you to help you understand your suegro is to train your ear, listen/watch stuff with a similar accent and speed and you will get there, it doesn't need you need to match it when you speak as long as you make out most of what he says!

Out of W's family there is one sister who speaks spanish fluently, she used to live in the UK and now that she moved back is in another state so I haven't had much contact at all with her. I get along great with the two sisters I do see often, the other day we went shopping alone and I told mom about it, she got all corney on me saying I know kind of have a sister, I guess I do.

Offline V_Man

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 06:10:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice but we are on opposite sides of the Pacific Ocean. Trying to listen to him on the telephone is not realistic and would just led to frustration.
He likes me and approves of me.
My wife joked to him last week that the only way I could gain more approval would be if I was un Conservador.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5874
Latest: BillyGeots
New This Month: 3
New This Week: 2
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345