It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Next stop Medillin  (Read 3104 times)

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Next stop Medillin
« on: August 11, 2017, 06:55:47 AM »
I've been here in Mexico for almost 3 months and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I think for any guy who wants to take an endeavor to Latin America I'd highly suggest CDMX.
 For starters it's a lot of fun and the women aren't coy about what they want either. I've had girls flirt w/ me in front of the girl I'm with, they don't care. Competition for a decent man is pretty fierce. As long as you can dress a bit and not be a complete slob, take care of your own person, be able to have a decent conversation and take an interest in what they do, they'll WANT to stay and talk w/ you. Something I've noticed that get you really far here as well is being a decent human being and holding a normal conversation w/ the locals, bonus points if you can do some of it in Spanish. No joke all the places I frequent the most I get great service, they're always polite and want to talk to me and at a minimum wave and wish me a good day. Yea, my Spanish is far from perfect but they will help you and respect you even more if you try. Here in Mexico like any where else in Latin America take some interest in the people and the culture and try not to be 'just another gringo'. Its really that easy.
Also, do yourself a huge favor and and learn Spanish or at least try to learn while you're here. I plan on getting a tutor in Col for the time I'm there as well. Getting a tutor 2x a week has done wonders for my Spanish. Its night day and It's been only 2.5 months. You won't understand everything but the fact that you can still get the gist of what's being said and learning more and more words as you go along just opens doors.

Having said all of that, I hope I can carry over some of this momentum when I get to Colombia. I'm normally a rather sociable person so I don't expect it to be any different there than here tbh. Minus the type of Spanish spoken and the food. So far it's been a great ride

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Next stop Medillin
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:05:12 AM »
I hope you keep posting once you get to Medellin. I will be curious to read what you have to say. I agree with you - Mexico City is the bomb and people are great. Everyone was friendly and helpful even in the subway at rush hour lol!

Offline kai #2

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 09:18:27 AM »
I will, I just don't post as frequently. Only when I learn something new that maybe beneficial for other. I expect more of the same, just different country really ha. I'll be interested to see what happens as well.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 09:18:27 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 07:39:54 PM »
As long as you can dress a bit and not be a complete slob, take care of your own person, be able to have a decent conversation and take an interest in what they do, they'll WANT to stay and talk w/ you. Something I've noticed that get you really far here as well is being a decent human being and holding a normal conversation w/ the locals, bonus points if you can do some of it in Spanish. No joke all the places I frequent the most I get great service, they're always polite and want to talk to me and at a minimum wave and wish me a good day. Yea, my Spanish is far from perfect but they will help you and respect you even more if you try. Here in Mexico like any where else in Latin America take some interest in the people and the culture and try not to be 'just another gringo'. Its really that easy.
Also, do yourself a huge favor and and learn Spanish or at least try to learn while you're here. I plan on getting a tutor in Col for the time I'm there as well. Getting a tutor 2x a week has done wonders for my Spanish. Its night day and It's been only 2.5 months. You won't understand everything but the fact that you can still get the gist of what's being said and learning more and more words as you go along just opens doors.

So true. If you avoid the sterotypical 'ugly american' stereo type---the 'me', egocentric guy, wearing socks up to his knees, who can't shut up, never mind listen, and just come off as decent, interested and engaged, most places are actually very friendly around the world to US citizens. 

That even stands true for nations where most of their people are grossly opposed to US politics and the military industrial state, the hypocrisy of the war on drugs, etc.

They'd usually rather judge us as individuals, rather than 'peg' us as white, Spanish or black US citizens, whether it's Vietnam, Vienna or Venezuela.

I used to think treating everyone the same way, like 'they're ALL purple' was the safe, honorable way. It's NOT. Being genuinely interested, embracing and/or at least being respectful of people's cultural and religious differences, of 'de colores' and not trying to overly 'type' people---works a lot better for me.

Aside from France, in most places, if you make a feeble attempt to speak their language, and even if they have to try hard not to laugh, they do respect you for showing them the respect for even trying, and that makes life there even nicer. Usually when you 'reach' they're sympatico.

Sh!t, even when I call from the USA and get Asian and Spanish native language service for huge US companies helping me in English, when I can detect their native tongue and say words like 'yes please' and 'thank-you' in their language, it seems they're suprised, appreciative and happier.

Besides,  my options increase and my service issues get resolved. So many jerks treat them terribly, demanding "American, English speaking " help. I have literally had women working at overseas Call Centers cry tears of appreciation and gratitude when I apologized for the ugliness of too many US citizens who berated them, explaining to them that most people here really aren't 'like that'. So many people had been so nasty to them, day after day, to the point where someone actually listening and  showing some care blew their minds.

It's Dell Computer, Verizon or Comcast's fault if some person trying to make a living working at a Call Center in the Philippines or Costa Rica hasn't recieved training in English and accent reduction.

Hell, I'll admit I'm a player and know they'll often comp me with money back or other perks, just for me acting more respectful than most Americans are to them. So why 'ratchet up the nasty' unless you have no choice?

Our internet briefly crapped out from it's normal 100+ Mbps and 25 second latency and I got $50 bucks comped and a free month of blast speed internet from my provider's overseas Call Center last night, in fact.

Sometimes, being nice, rather than self rightous and demanding, gets you a lot further.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »
my friend was in Mexico city few moths ago, he loved it.  he was in Guadalajara  also and said  it was great.  Said the women were very friendly and open and was easy to start a conversation with them . got to know a few and was invited to some parties and outings with them,  Of course he wanst walking around in shorts and flip flops  like most tourists do.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 06:54:27 AM »
I've been here in Mexico for almost 3 months and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I think for any guy who wants to take an endeavor to Latin America I'd highly suggest CDMX.
 For starters it's a lot of fun and the women aren't coy about what they want either. I've had girls flirt w/ me in front of the girl I'm with, they don't care. Competition for a decent man is pretty fierce. As long as you can dress a bit and not be a complete slob, take care of your own person, be able to have a decent conversation and take an interest in what they do, they'll WANT to stay and talk w/ you. Something I've noticed that get you really far here as well is being a decent human being and holding a normal conversation w/ the locals, bonus points if you can do some of it in Spanish. No joke all the places I frequent the most I get great service, they're always polite and want to talk to me and at a minimum wave and wish me a good day. Yea, my Spanish is far from perfect but they will help you and respect you even more if you try. Here in Mexico like any where else in Latin America take some interest in the people and the culture and try not to be 'just another gringo'. Its really that easy.

Having said all of that, I hope I can carry over some of this momentum when I get to Colombia. I'm normally a rather sociable person so I don't expect it to be any different there than here tbh. Minus the type of Spanish spoken and the food. So far it's been a great ride

So Kai, let me get this straight because I may have missed one of your updates. You have a girlfriend in Mexico that you're leaving there to go to live for a while in Medellin....AND SHE'S OKAY WITH THAT?!!! Or did you all call it quits? If you can maintain your relationship with her with the distance and all the temptation in Medallo, you sir....are a stronger man than me. IMHO, if you're still dating that girl in Mexico while you're living in Medellin, it'll be over within a month.

Offline kai #2

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 08:32:08 AM »
She has to be ook becasue I was going to leave w/ or w out her permission. I have a chance to anywhere I want to and I am. After that I'll go back to Mex for a few months then go somewhere else. Our relations was long distance to begin w/. I just went down there every month for a few days. This way is still just as good. The thing about Colombia is I don't really have any desire to live or stay there but we'll see. I don't know what the future holds

Offline kai #2

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »

So Kai, let me get this straight because I may have missed one of your updates. You have a girlfriend in Mexico that you're leaving there to go to live for a while in Medellin....AND SHE'S OKAY WITH THAT?!!! Or did you all call it quits? If you can maintain your relationship with her with the distance and all the temptation in Medallo, you sir....are a stronger man than me. IMHO, if you're still dating that girl in Mexico while you're living in Medellin, it'll be over within a month.

Its  kind of funny though. by reading this some the previous posts in here you'd swear it's impossible to meet a decent Colombian woman haha

Offline benjio

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 09:31:03 AM »
Its  kind of funny though. by reading this some the previous posts in here you'd swear it's impossible to meet a decent Colombian woman haha

We all know that's BS though. City with a population of 2.5 Million, probably 55-60% women, probably 60% of those between the ages of 18 and 30, and not a decent one in the whole bunch? C'mon! LOL!!!!

Enjoy yourself man....I still say you're dating a Paisa before everything is said and done. Very charming young ladies!  8)

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 02:05:03 PM »

We all know that's BS though. City with a population of 2.5 Million, probably 55-60% women, probably 60% of those between the ages of 18 and 30, and not a decent one in the whole bunch? C'mon! LOL!!!!

Enjoy yourself man....I still say you're dating a Paisa before everything is said and done. Very charming young ladies!  8)
He's about to find out why there's so much talk about Colombian women here...

Offline kai #2

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »
He's about to find out why there's so much talk about Colombian women here...

Of course I know why lol, but it'll be interesting for a long term stay and not  just a few days though. That should be fun

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 09:43:53 PM »

Of course I know why lol, but it'll be interesting for a long term stay and not  just a few days though. That should be fun
Oh yeah you will have fun ...

Offline benjio

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 08:03:42 AM »
Oh yeah you will have fun ...

LOL!!!!! YEP!!! Please be sure to keep us informed!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:28:11 AM by benjio »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 08:03:42 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 09:08:15 AM »

Then again, some guys here would go thirsty, while floating in the middle of Lake Superior.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline kai #2

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 01:05:22 PM »
Then again, some guys here would go thirsty, while floating in the middle of Lake Superior.

R.A gets it.
I'll be honest I thought most of you guys actually already lived there? Don't worry I'll keep you posted. I hope to 'fit in' more there, there are a lot of dark skin people so that works in my favor. Trying to pick up on Colombian spanish will be a challenge though

Offline benjio

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 02:55:40 PM »

R.A gets it.
I'll be honest I thought most of you guys actually already lived there? Don't worry I'll keep you posted. I hope to 'fit in' more there, there are a lot of dark skin people so that works in my favor. Trying to pick up on Colombian spanish will be a challenge though

[/size]I lived in Colombia a year but had to come back. Ran out of money. I still visit at least three times a year though. And I have plans to retire there.
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]I think if you've already picked up a fair amount of conversational Spanish in The D.F. you won't have a problem acclimating to the dialect in Medellin. There's some local slang you might have to familiarize yourself with but they are very slow, melodic speakers compared to [/size]Costeños[/size]. They also tend to stick to the rules as supposed to [/size][/color]Costeños[/font][/size] who make up their own contractions (porfis = por favor), shorten a lot of words (pa = para) and incorporate difference pronunciations (past participle of ar verbs is "ado" like in "hablado' or "ganado". Many [/size][/color]Costeños[/font][/size] pronounce it with an "ão" like in Portuguese i.e. "habl[/size]ão"[/size]). You don't reallyl have to worry about this type of stuff in cities like Medellin and Bogota, but ultimately it all depends on how educated the person you're talking to is. When you get to know a Paisa and speak with her often you'll even notice their speech almost becomes like a whine or a song when they converse with people they know well. A lot of long, drawn out "Ayyyyyyy's" and "Graciiiaaaaaaas." Anywhere I am in the world I can identify a Paisa by their accent within a couple of minutes. And they're always surprised [/size][size=78%][/size]because I'm not a native Spanish speaker but my response is "Do you all hear yourselves?!!!!" ESPECIALLY THE WOMEN!!! LOL!!![size=78%][/size]
[/size][size=78%][/size]
[/size][size=78%][/size]Anyway....look forward to reading about your experiences there.[size=78%][/size]

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 04:36:46 PM »
You'll have a blast and pick up some local slang. Like if your paisa girl tells you there is a taco up ahead, don't start smacking your lips for a tasty treat. It's a traffic jam! When you greet her with "Que mas?" or tell her "Hagale pues" you'll know you're doing it like the locals. Personally I love the way they talk.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5870
Latest: ionttxgie
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 120