It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Brazil--bloody elections, leaning right  (Read 13600 times)

Offline braziliangirl

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Brazil--bloody elections, leaning right
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 06:36:48 PM »
Looks like the next leader of Brazil might be the right wing candidate Jair Bolanaros, who has expressed nostalgia for the military dictatorship that lead Brazil from the mid 60's, the 70's on into the mid 1980's.

Seems like a worldwide trend.

Bolanaros in the hospital recuperating from a stabbing that occured while he was campaigning last month. It's said the knife went into his intestines 4.7 inches and that he lost 40% of his blood..

The last president, Dilma Rouuseff, was impeached, but she's running for the senate

Another former president - - Brazil's most popular politician, imprisoned on corruption charges,  Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, on Tuesday ended his legal battle to run for the top office and supported Bolanaros closest opponent, who wasn't that close.

It will go to a run off.

What a mess.

Brazil is the world's 9th economy -- larger than Canada's (10th) and Russia's (11th)

Hey Robert!

I came here for this, and I know it would come from you!

I love how you misspell Bolsonaro's name. Here people are avoiding spelling his name right to try to trick the algorithms...

All of us hate Brazil and hate Brazilians. Rudest people in the world. They can all go f*ck themselves.

Love you too, UC!  :-*

It hit me hard, since I don't remember being rude to you... Them I remember a chinese woman pushing me so she could talk to the airline employee at LAX one time and how I thought "chinese people are soooo rude!"... I'm really sorry someone made you hate the entire population of my country, but believe me, we're not that bad. Especially us, the non-white, non-rich, non-standard ones... Hope you can give us another chance.

São Paulo is just one city and Brazil is like the US in the diversification on cultures aspect. I was treated poorly in Mexico City both times I've been there. People tried to trick me in every way possible. But then, I was so well treated by IV's family when I've been to Ensenada... There's no way I can say Mexicans are bad people.

---

Back to Bolsonaro... He may sound like Trump, but I think he's much worse. At least Trump knows a thing or two about business. Bolsonaro doesn't know a thing about a thing and all he does is telling lies. Some people even doubt the stabbing is true. Most of us are very scared about whats to come. If it wasn't for my job, I'd be seriously considering leaving the country.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 10:06:55 AM »
Of course I realize that it's unfair to paint an entire country based on one's experiences in one city - especially one which sounds like it is as representative of the country as New York City would be with the US. It did give us all a bad feeling about Brazil though and didn't make any of us want to go back there. So I guess we should be careful when we encounter tourists and try to make them feel good about our country.

Offline buenopues4

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2018, 04:43:00 PM »
Braziliangirl indeed you should be afraid and so should the Indian populations of the Amazon. Colombia is now worried because of the deforestation that will occur along it's border with Brazil as a result of Bolsonaro's elimination of environmental protections. 

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2018, 04:43:00 PM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 04:30:45 PM »
Braziliangirl indeed you should be afraid and so should the Indian populations of the Amazon. Colombia is now worried because of the deforestation that will occur along it's border with Brazil as a result of Bolsonaro's elimination of environmental protections.

I am a conservative and I  try my best to respect the opinión of Trump supporters, even though I cant stand him personally.

But this guy is way too nut bar and scary, just some of the things he says

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 04:32:37 PM by Elexpatriado »

Offline buenopues4

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2018, 06:05:21 PM »
His education is from Brazil's Military academy "Black Needles" (after a mountain range) after which he served briefly in the army parachute corp. While his supporters hope he will reverse Brazil's economic woes his prior experience shows no special aptitude in economics. A likely scenario is he will open Brazil's Amazon forest (worlds's largest) to widespread deforestation to favor logging and cattle ranching and push Brazil's indigenous populations to extinction.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 02:49:10 AM »
A lot of misinformation from the global media when it comes to Brazil. I will say this: LISTEN TO BRAZILIANGIRL!!!!! Gentlemen, these are one of the well educated women that have traveled outside of their country and have an invaluable perspective when it comes to Brazilian Politics and how it conflicts with world opinion. I met her in Recife years ago and her intelligence and ferver for her country and the welfare of the human race still blows my mind. She taught me ALOT!!! I speak of her often with friends here in the U.S. that assume that women in Latin America are simply great wife material and not part of the great thinkers of our generation. Looking forward to her running as a politician at some point in the future (hint, hint buddy)!!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:54:33 AM by benjio »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864