It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: I have had a setback  (Read 27097 times)

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: I have had a setback
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »

Hey pigglett,

I don’t know every detail of your situation but I think I have the gist of it.  I think you should strongly consider gettting this visa process going NOW.  You are letting a lot of time elapse and you have a long visa process too, and our lives get shorter each day. 
I think the odds are that your wife will pass that test.  If she doesn’t pass it, and she has to come here before she passes it, then she can still study here and go back in the future and pass the test.  Heck, she can deliver or spin the pizzas at night if you guys need some extra cash for the ticket back to PI to take the test again!   
I really think you gotta make face time a priority, It is just so unnatural to be apart for potentially years.  At some point you have to stand up for your needs and I imagine you need to have your wife with you.   

I hope you don’t mind my asking, but what does your wife want to do when she lands here?  Does she want to work, have kids, do both, or neither?  I would assume that her goals are at least in the same ballpark as yours.  I saw the photos of you and your wife and you guys look really very nice together and it is a damn shame that you have been apart for this long already. 

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline piglett

• your porkness
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
Hey pigglett,

I don’t know every detail of your situation but I think I have the gist of it.  I think you should strongly consider gettting this visa process going NOW.  You are letting a lot of time elapse and you have a long visa process too, and our lives get shorter each day. 
I think the odds are that your wife will pass that test.  If she doesn’t pass it, and she has to come here before she passes it, then she can still study here and go back in the future and pass the test.  Heck, she can deliver or spin the pizzas at night if you guys need some extra cash for the ticket back to PI to take the test again!   
I really think you gotta make face time a priority, It is just so unnatural to be apart for potentially years.  At some point you have to stand up for your needs and I imagine you need to have your wife with you.   

I hope you don’t mind my asking, but what does your wife want to do when she lands here?  Does she want to work, have kids, do both, or neither?  I would assume that her goals are at least in the same ballpark as yours.  I saw the photos of you and your wife and you guys look really very nice together and it is a damn shame that you have been apart for this long already. 

Fathertime!
no i don't mind at all FT. after all isn't why all of us post .....to bounce things around & have others with different prospectives weigh in ??

well Marily wants to take the NCLEX which is the test so she can be an RN here in the states as soon as she arrives. I talked to lady from the Philippines that said the test is ez compared to the killer 2 day test in her home country. she said she studied 2 or 3 hours every day for about a month & then went ahead & took the test. my understanding is this the test there is all about how things are done "by the book" however here the test is about the practical way things are done.
Before my wife & i ever married we had a long talk some of which was about babies & we decided that we would wait until she is 32 which is 4 years from now. 
PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2011, 06:12:48 AM »
are you saying that she needs to have her visa in hand exactly 1 year after we petitioned for it ???   
Correction, not expire but I think that NVC can "close" your case after 1 year if they get no response from you ( I think your 1 year is up April 2012) - but before that happen they will send you reminders & notices. William3rd & others can correct me on that.

well guys i can look into what the NVC people require & then go from there. I haven't even looked
Piglett, even if you not going to continue the process now, you can at least get familiarize with the process & what documents are needed.
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2011, 06:12:48 AM »

Offline piglett

• your porkness
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »
Piglett, even if you not going to continue the process now, you can at least get familiarize with the process & what documents are needed.
point taken "K" thanks
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:35:27 AM by piglett »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2011, 07:40:47 PM »
Re:

>>William3rd & others can correct me on that<<

It's been mid March since William3rd's posted here. I'm assuming he and his family are well--anybody heard and at liberty to comment? Nice fellow and a real asset to P-L for sure!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Ray

« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2011, 10:50:44 PM »
Even after they give it, she has 6 months ... to use it....

6 months is correct. And you can also get that extended, with a good reason.

Ray

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2011, 07:51:03 AM »
Correction, not expire but I think that NVC can "close" your case after 1 year if they get no response from you ( I think your 1 year is up April 2012) - but before that happen they will send you reminders & notices. William3rd & others can correct me on that.

You were actually correct about there being an expiration date - visa petitions do indeed have an expiration date. The validity of the visa petition is listed on the NOA2 petition approval notification that is received from USCIS. K-1 petitions usually expire 120 days after the approval date - I am not sure if the expiration date for CR/IR-1 visas is the same as a K-1 but I suspect that it probably is.

Pig - you should be focused on getting the visa. Like others have already said, once she does receive the visa, she will have 6 months to use it, so that would still give you a lot of time to tie up loose ends. If she does not pass the exam this time, you will have a lot more options at your disposal if she has a visa than if she doesn't.

Offline thekfc

« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2011, 08:15:02 AM »
And pig, no more talk about you trying to get the visa process expedited.  :-X

Offline piglett

• your porkness
« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »
And pig, no more talk about you trying to get the visa process expedited.  :-X

You were actually correct about there being an expiration date - visa petitions do indeed have an expiration date. The validity of the visa petition is listed on the NOA2 petition approval notification that is received from USCIS. K-1 petitions usually expire 120 days after the approval date - I am not sure if the expiration date for CR/IR-1 visas is the same as a K-1 but I suspect that it probably is.

Pig - you should be focused on getting the visa. Like others have already said, once she does receive the visa, she will have 6 months to use it, so that would still give you a lot of time to tie up loose ends. If she does not pass the exam this time, you will have a lot more options at your disposal if she has a visa than if she doesn't.

6 months is correct. And you can also get that extended, with a good reason.

Ray
ok guys thanks for bustin out the cattle prod or in this case "the pig prod" ;D  I'll print up all the docs. & take them with me when i go on my stip. once i read over everything, i figure "how hard could it be?"

pig

Offline Ray

« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2011, 09:54:18 PM »
ok guys thanks for bustin out the cattle prod or in this case "the pig prod" ;D  I'll print up all the docs. & take them with me when i go on my stip. once i read over everything, i figure "how hard could it be?"

pig

Harder than you think. Wasn't your petition approved and forwarded to the NVC?

You don't need to bring any documents with you on your trip. You need to get them into the NVC for processing!

Your wife should be getting all her documents together by now...passport, birth cert, baptismal cert, NBI clearance, CFO seminar, etc.

Ray

Offline thekfc

« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2011, 04:59:40 AM »
Your wife should be getting all her documents together by now...passport, birth cert, baptismal cert, NBI clearance, CFO seminar, etc.
Piglett read the instruction for NVC, the stuff you will now need - see the above.

Get familiarize & get the documents needed while you are in the PI - it will save you time & money (FEDEX & UPS isn't cheap). And do not get just one original from the issuing office - you will need one for NVC & she will need one for the interview (to be on the save sife - never know if they will ask for it at the interview).

Also don't forget about emailing the choice of agent while you are there - from her email account.

Offline Ray

« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
That $18,387 minimum income is not adjusted gross, but net income.

Did I say "net" income? OOPS! I meant to say "total" income instead of net.

Ray

Offline piglett

• your porkness
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2011, 10:02:48 PM »

Did I say "net" income? OOPS! I meant to say "total" income instead of net.

Ray

oooh total income as in what i brought in before any expenses....got ya , well i should be good to go then

BTW i like watching you bash yourself in the head with that mallet ;D

pig

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2011, 10:02:48 PM »

Offline Dave H

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2011, 09:21:35 PM »

pig,

It’s your marriage pig, but it is my opinion that you are too concerned about that RN license and wasting your time by not getting that visa processed ASAP.

Ray

I agree...she can retake (if needed) the Philippine national exam another time (on vacation) if need be. Kaplan offers a good NCLEX review class.

Good luck!

Dave
The developmentally disabled madman!

Offline piglett

• your porkness
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2011, 10:29:32 PM »

I agree...she can retake (if needed) the Philippine national exam another time (on vacation) if need be. Kaplan offers a good NCLEX review class.

Good luck!

Dave
guys.... she will be taking the test in 3 weeks & then it's done problem solved!!!
i was trying to time her getting her nursing license & visa so they would happen at about the same time, by the looks of it the 2 will now happen in november (that's my best guess)

thanks
pig

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2011, 11:28:33 PM »
Well, a note of caution piglett. I think what Ray is saying is total income (top line of form 1040) which isn't your business revenues. It's your business revenues less your business expenses - business profits (bottom line of your schedule C if you're a sole proprietorship.) In other words, your business income minus business expenses but before your personal deductions. Though I'm very familiar with business financials, I'm not a CPA though, so I'd suggest you contact one before you start filling out forms.

Offline Ray

« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »
Well, a note of caution piglett. I think what Ray is saying is total income (top line of form 1040) which isn't your business revenues. It's your business revenues less your business expenses - business profits (bottom line of your schedule C if you're a sole proprietorship.) In other words, your business income minus business expenses but before your personal deductions. Though I'm very familiar with business financials, I'm not a CPA though, so I'd suggest you contact one before you start filling out forms.

Jeff,

What they specifically use to determine annual income on the Affidavit of Support is the amount on the line for gross (total income) from your tax returns for the last 3 years. This would be Line 22 on the 1040 or Line 15 on the 1040-A. Of course this does include the amount from Schedule C.

You must provide a copy or transcript of your federal return for the most recent tax year, including all attached schedules and forms. The previous 2 returns before that are optional.

Ray

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:13:02 PM by Ray »

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2011, 05:43:15 PM »
That's what I thought Ray. That's why I told Piglett it was business revenues after expenses. You can only add the bottom line of your schedule C (after expenses) to your 1040, not all the money your business took in.

Piglet said:

oooh total income as in what i brought in before any expenses....got ya , well i should be good to go then

And so he is not correct. Add your business income after expenses to your total other earned income.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 293