It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Adventures with airline mileage- how strange  (Read 728 times)

Offline william3rd

Adventures with airline mileage- how strange
« on: June 05, 2009, 06:21:56 AM »
I decided to use some of my air mileage to book a trip to thailand next month. I still have over a half million miles in my banks from foreign travel so I decided to cash in. The processing fee is about 65 dollars so it is a nice discount. The first problem is getting flights that have seat vacancies that correspond to your desires.

I was tappping into my United bank so I called them up. Easy connect. Polite- sorry, cant do two weeks. Can do 12 days. 70000 miles on a saver ticket will get you there. OK.

Leave LAX at 12 noon. Fly United non stop to . . . . . . FRANKFURT?!?!??!?!!? Then Lufthansa to Bangkok. Day and a half travel. . . . say what? What about Thai Airways- LAX to Bangkok nonstop? night flight arrives in the morning. Sorry- not available.

OK- the return flight. Thai airways nonstop to . . . . . . Sydney?!?!?!?!?!?!? Oh come on. . . .then United to LAX. Day and a half travel. In a middle seat? Forget it. . . . . .

How about business class at 120000 miles. . . LAX to Frankfurt and then to Bangkok with return via Sydney to LAX. (I figured with the lounge privileges and all, it would be an adventure) Sorry sir, we have another route for business class- Thai Airways- non stop to Bangkok leaving at 11PM- coooool- arrives in the mornng. Departs 7PM on the return nonstop to LAX arriving at 8PM. and two weeks stay is just fine

Cant get that on saver but can get it on business award travel. Works for me I guess but, that is still 8 round trips to get this award seat.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:36:43 PM by william3rd »
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Adventures with airline mileage- how strange
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:00:35 AM »
I dunno.  The round-the-world trip sounds interesting if they would let you spend a day or two in your transit cities of Frankfurt and Sidney.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864