It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Putting mother in law on a plane  (Read 19820 times)

Offline no comment

Putting mother in law on a plane
« on: July 24, 2018, 08:34:51 PM »
Mi suegra turned 80 and my wife wants to bring her from Peru for a visit to this country.  Problem is that she can't walk well and make it on her own, especially with luggage.  I've seen the old folks being taken through airports and put on planes by airport workers.  Wondering if anyone has brought an elderly person using this service, how to make arrangements for it, is it a free service, etc.

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Putting mother in law on a plane
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 11:30:00 PM »
Mi suegra turned 80 and my wife wants to bring her from Peru for a visit to this country.  Problem is that she can't walk well and make it on her own, especially with luggage.  I've seen the old folks being taken through airports and put on planes by airport workers.  Wondering if anyone has brought an elderly person using this service, how to make arrangements for it, is it a free service, etc.
My mom who is 80 and uses a walker travels to Europe and gets an airport employee to push her in a wheelchair at every airport...

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 05:01:56 AM »
I think its still a common, free courtesy offered by most airports, carriers. Probably still for children too. I remember a bunch of times, my young siblings and I would fly domestically and internationally to meet up with my parents, relatives and even under age 12, they took special measures to make sure we were OK.

Amazing, because if I were a flight attendant tasked with watching my 12 year old nasty ass, I'd send the brat on a one way to Syria or Somalia!

But I'd absolutely call ahead, because you can't assume they'll always have a wheelchair, golfcart with seat belt and the required attendant right when you get off the plane at the gate.

Even more a potential problem if its a connecting flight.

Call ahead for sure. And hope Grannie doesn't get seated to someone, some kid like I was, coz she might have a heart attack from the shock enroute! Or at least have her peanuts swiped....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:23:40 AM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 05:01:56 AM »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 08:18:39 AM »

Not sure where you stand on this but I have two friends this happened to and "Momma" ended up staying for good. One was actually a good situation because even with her having trouble getting around, she helped with his newborn. The other was an absolutely nightmare. Just food for thought.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 08:35:23 AM »

Not sure where you stand on this but I have two friends this happened to and "Momma" ended up staying for good. One was actually a good situation because even with her having trouble getting around, she helped with his newborn. The other was an absolutely nightmare. Just food for thought.

Yea, Remember Jason? As I recall, he built a a beautiful new house for he and his Peruvian bride in the USA. Shortly thereafter, her Mom, then other family quickly came over. They were like adding deadweights to an anchor.

The marriage quickly crashed and.burned, but HE had to move out, THEY all stayed, adding an opposite but equal meaning to the old adage "eating you out of house and home" and thousands of dollars in legal fees and much grief later, he finally was able to regroup.

This story has been brought to light again before and some didn't believe it, but much of it (some was deleted) is in the archives here.

I long ago stopped saying:, "I've seen it all", because whenever I do, life has a strange way of bitch slapping me to make me realize otherwise....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:40:40 AM by robert angel »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 12:19:51 PM »
Yea, Remember Jason? As I recall, he built a a beautiful new house for he and his Peruvian bride in the USA. Shortly thereafter, her Mom, then other family quickly came over. They were like adding deadweights to an anchor.

The marriage quickly crashed and.burned, but HE had to move out, THEY all stayed, adding an opposite but equal meaning to the old adage "eating you out of house and home" and thousands of dollars in legal fees and much grief later, he finally was able to regroup.

This story has been brought to light again before and some didn't believe it, but much of it (some was deleted) is in the archives here.

I long ago stopped saying:, "I've seen it all", because whenever I do, life has a strange way of bitch slapping me to make me realize otherwise....
Yes I remember things going south after mother in law moved in. I think I remember Jason saying he had to get law enforcement involved to evict them...

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 03:09:37 PM »
Yes I remember things going south after mother in law moved in. I think I remember Jason saying he had to get law enforcement involved to evict them...

And if I remember correctly, it wasn't like he just called the cops, explained the very obvious situation and the cops told she and her whole free loading family "vamoose!"

Guess it doesn't matter if the woman is born right here in the USA or is fresh off the boat--the guy might own the house completely in his own name, but if the woman says there's a problem, even without proof, the guy typically has to move out.

Me too!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:13:53 PM by robert angel »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 04:16:21 PM »
And if I remember correctly, it wasn't like he just called the cops, explained the very obvious situation and the cops told she and her whole free loading family "vamoose!"

Guess it doesn't matter if the woman is born right here in the USA or is fresh off the boat--the guy might own the house completely in his own name, but if the woman says there's a problem, even without proof, the guy typically has to move out.

Me too!
USA, land of oppressed women...

Offline buenopues4

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 05:05:47 PM »
I have heard many times that a tried and true tactic used by Latina women brought to the US on a marriage visa is to declare physical abuse where upon she is automatically granted status beyond that authorized by he marriage visa allowing her to stay. Though I've heard this many times it has never actually been corroborated by anyone posting here or elsewhere that I know of.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 07:32:18 PM »
I have heard many times that a tried and true tactic used by Latina women brought to the US on a marriage visa is to declare physical abuse where upon she is automatically granted status beyond that authorized by he marriage visa allowing her to stay. Though I've heard this many times it has never actually been corroborated by anyone posting here or elsewhere that I know of.

While I'm sure it's far more the exception than the norm, less than two minutes using a Google search indicated that there's not only more of it than you may be aware of, but that there's also a significant potential for it to be more widely abused with how increasingly lax USCIS is.

From what I've seen and heard, they're not too great on following up on women who not only make claims, but perhaps more importantly, don't report back after making initial abuse abuse claims and just stay here.

I don't know any women who've claimed abuse to stay here, but I do know some who just decided to leave the guy who sponsored them. They usually don't go to great lengths to hide from the govt. and if the guy who sponsored her reports she's here illegally, the 'gist' of what the USCIS is telling these guys is that unless.these women are engaging in serious, large scale crime, that they don't have the time, resources or inclination to go after these women.

Why should they? The guys have already paid most, if not all of the ever increasing fees to bring the woman here. But it can leave the guys pretty sore and in a bad spot if they married these women and then can't find them to secure a legal divorce.

I know one guy who's wife is shacking up with a CEO multimillionaire in California, while he's still married to her and lives on the east coast and is trying to get a divorce, working full time, paying a lawyer for that.

She even figured a way to file income taxes and he got screwed over that way too--- she got the refund somehow, for herself, her errr 'husband' and even for the son she brought here, a kid that she gave birth to when she was still married to some poor dude in Australia.

Meanwhile, she's posting pictures on facebook of the mansion she calls "My home", as well as pictures of her lover's yacht and the Tesla she says he bought her.

No, she never claimed the guy who sponsored her laid a finger on her or was abusive in anyway, but she's nonetheless breaking all the rules in plain day light, meanwhile USCIS is saying: "Hey, we're overloaded with cases already and we have bigger fish to fry than this case"

https://www.nbcwashington.com/investigations/Americans-Say-Immigrants-Duped-Them-Into-Marriage-Then-Claimed-Abuse-to-Stay-in-US-473983993.html

http://voif.org/#
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:14:54 PM by robert angel »

Offline Wildstubby

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 07:01:11 PM »
I'm sorry but this thread title reminds me of one of Henny Youngman's famous one-liners: "I just came back from a pleasure trip. I took my mother-in-law to the airport!"
A few others: "I remember the worst fight me and my wife had. She said, 'What's on TV?' and I said 'Dust!'
"My wife said 'I want to go where I never have been before.' I said 'Howabout the kitchen?'"

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 08:40:50 PM »
I met the woman I described. We had lunch with them and I saw her at a couple social functions. Afterwards, I tried to explain that she wasn't a good choice.

I told him that she was "built for speed", that he'd have trouble supporting her in the fashion that despite her claims to the contrary, she would come to expect. I knew her taste for expensive designer everything wasn't going to go away and that thus guy didn't have the income to provide for such. She'd had relationships all over the world, in fact for years, she worked on international cruise ships.

He was living with his elderly Mom, who is from Colombia and is a bit ditzy--the two very culturally different women tried to pretend that they did, but they never really got along. Not a good idea to have your Mom living with your new bride, regardless.

She had a teenage son who was part of the package and even though the writing on the proverbial wall seemed pretty clear to me, this guy just didn't want to see it.

The guy later on told several mutual acquaintances: "I wish I had taken Rob's advice". But he was blinded by beauty, infatuated with her and his own unrealistic idealizations.

Be careful what you wish for.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »

When you are married to a woman aboard she arrives in the US as a conditional permanent resident and receives a green card valid for two years. At the end of the two years the husband needs to file a form with immigration and their is an interview to determine if the two of you are still married and that the relationship is valid.

If the couple is separated and or the husband refuses to file the proper forms and go to the interview the woman will have an uphill battle to getting her permanent green card.

But unfortunately for some guys....the one way she might get a green card without his help is to claim she was mistreated by the husband.

Entered into a marriage in good faith, but either you or your child were battered or subjected to extreme hardship by your U.S.-citizen or permanent-resident spouse.

• [/size]But the surest way to a permanent green card is just to stick it out with the husband for two years.
    [/size]The vast majority of women do stick it out for two years or more so there aren't many cases of wives claiming they were battered. Even if he smacks her around a bit....it is still the surest way to a green card if the guy is willing to go to the interview.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 11:29:28 AM »

My situation is a bit different. I live in my mother in laws house with my girlfriend, her younger sister and my baby.

My girlfriends mom is great with our baby and I just like her. When we finally get a place of our own I think I'm going to miss my mother in law not being around as much.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 09:23:50 PM »

My situation is a bit different. I live in my mother in laws house with my girlfriend, her younger sister and my baby.

My girlfriends mom is great with our baby and I just like her. When we finally get a place of our own I think I'm going to miss my mother in law not being around as much.

With good family, meaning ideally 'traditional values'  not so traditional in the USA. the Mother in law will make sure that the wife, GF--her daughter treats you right. My wife didn't need any coaching, but if my back was sweaty and she didn't dry me off right away, if my clothes weren't clean and crisply pressed, if I was hungry, etc, etc, my in law would've straightened that out fast.

When there's a baby in the house, Grandma's experience, her love and the relief sometimes needed, is golden. They often know stuff, have intuition, that no baby care book has.

But even if she's all the above, when the baby becomes a kid and ya'all don't need the support, it can get old, even if she's still able to cook and clean. Moreso in the USA. where privacy is expected more.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 11:12:08 AM »

With good family, meaning ideally 'traditional values'  not so traditional in the USA. the Mother in law will make sure that the wife, GF--her daughter treats you right. My wife didn't need any coaching, but if my back was sweaty and she didn't dry me off right away, if my clothes weren't clean and crisply pressed, if I was hungry, etc, etc, my in law would've straightened that out fast.

That is exactly the way my mother in law is with me.

We see eye to eye on almost everything....but then again....we are the same age. jajaja

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 01:06:30 AM »
While I'm sure it's far more the exception than the norm, less than two minutes using a Google search indicated that there's not only more of it than you may be aware of, but that there's also a significant potential for it to be more widely abused with how increasingly lax USCIS is.

From what I've seen and heard, they're not too great on following up on women who not only make claims, but perhaps more importantly, don't report back after making initial abuse abuse claims and just stay here.

I don't know any women who've claimed abuse to stay here, but I do know some who just decided to leave the guy who sponsored them. They usually don't go to great lengths to hide from the govt. and if the guy who sponsored her reports she's here illegally, the 'gist' of what the USCIS is telling these guys is that unless.these women are engaging in serious, large scale crime, that they don't have the time, resources or inclination to go after these women.

Why should they? The guys have already paid most, if not all of the ever increasing fees to bring the woman here. But it can leave the guys pretty sore and in a bad spot if they married these women and then can't find them to secure a legal divorce.

I know one guy who's wife is shacking up with a CEO multimillionaire in California, while he's still married to her and lives on the east coast and is trying to get a divorce, working full time, paying a lawyer for that.

She even figured a way to file income taxes and he got screwed over that way too--- she got the refund somehow, for herself, her errr 'husband' and even for the son she brought here, a kid that she gave birth to when she was still married to some poor dude in Australia.

Meanwhile, she's posting pictures on facebook of the mansion she calls "My home", as well as pictures of her lover's yacht and the Tesla she says he bought her.

No, she never claimed the guy who sponsored her laid a finger on her or was abusive in anyway, but she's nonetheless breaking all the rules in plain day light, meanwhile USCIS is saying: "Hey, we're overloaded with cases already and we have bigger fish to fry than this case"

https://www.nbcwashington.com/investigations/Americans-Say-Immigrants-Duped-Them-Into-Marriage-Then-Claimed-Abuse-to-Stay-in-US-473983993.html

http://voif.org/#

And some guys still wanna drag some womans a$$ back to the US..

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 08:50:40 AM »

Most guys have to work, can't get sufficient work there, so there's not an option. Don't think a lot wouldn't mind the move but just can't do it. The birds want our bread.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »
Also, for those of us who have become attached to the comforts of home most of N. America and W. Europe can offer, life in Third World nation can get really old after a while. Food, medicine, safety, medical care, etc...

But hell, I just read that Patagonia has Starbucks. I'm sure Five Guys and Walmart can't be far behind.

Northern Ontario used to not have many of the same chains the USA does. Now they do, and parts of the USA have Tim Hortons. I even buy Tim Hortons coffee online.

I remember when Key West, Florida didn't have fastfood anything, no chain store operations. Everything was funky, cool and relatively clean. Life was good. Besides, a working class income was enough to enjoy living there . Now you have to be fairly wealthy just to rent a little place there and the place is a mess of international tourists, blocking the view with selfie sticks.

We sold our home there, after over forty years there in Old Town, KW.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 04:33:41 PM by robert angel »

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 06:16:54 PM »
elexpatriado said:
I've heard far more horror stories from guys married to 'godzillas' who were born and raised in the US than I have to those women who have immigrated here! My ex got me for almost $250K and I am nothing but a 'blue collar' worker! So that assumption doesn't hold water elex!

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 07:08:27 PM »
elexpatriado said:I've heard far more horror stories from guys married to 'godzillas' who were born and raised in the US than I have to those women who have immigrated here! My ex got me for almost $250K and I am nothing but a 'blue collar' worker! So that assumption doesn't hold water elex!

Famous last words.. jaja..

You really, really believe because she is a foreign woman there is a better chance you wont get foched over by the North American legal system?

Bringing a latina to the US and you have a good chance of creating a Frankenstien..or more likely , the wolf will come out show herself below the sheeps clothing.ja ja

Even worse than bringing a woman over to the US (or Canada) is bringing a woman and a couple more kids or a mother  in law over.

What a freaking headache.Talk about stress. And if it doesnt work out..$250 k will be peanuts. I know Cuz I almost did something so stupid.

As far as Heath care goes.. I hear guys on other sites claiming the Colombian system is better than the US..which doesnt surprise me..

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 07:17:33 PM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »
As far as Heath care goes.. I hear guys on other sites claiming the Colombian system is better than the US..which doesnt surprise me..

Colombian Health Care System could not save Pete E.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 12:34:09 AM »

No doctor in the USA that Pete talked to....would do the surgery.

And Pete talked to quite a few doctors in Cali before he found one willing to do it.

In the end reconnecting his large intestine to his damaged paper thin colon was suicide. And not a good way to go out.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/best-and-worst-states-to-give-birth-usa-today-investigation/

If you have good health insurance in Colombia...you will have access to hospitals that are on average better than in the USA.

There are some cutting edge treatments for cancer and other conditions that the US is better at....but on average if you have access to the best hospitals in Colombia then you are doing better than the average american when it comes to health care.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:43:11 AM by Calipro »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 12:34:09 AM »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 12:46:04 AM »

Also, for those of us who have become attached to the comforts of home most of N. America and W. Europe can offer, life in Third World nation can get really old after a while. Food, medicine, safety, medical care, etc...

Looks like someone needs to buy a ticket to Medellin. jajaja

But safety can be an issue if you don't know what you are doing here.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 06:35:54 AM »

I stayed at his place in between 2 of the surgeries.  It was just a couple months later that the next (And Fatal Surgery) was performed.  I recall him stating something to the effect of "I would rather take the chance on being healthy then continue with a colostomy bag for the rest of my life".  He couldn't do it in the US.  That would be a tough choice for me too if I were in that spot.  Colostomy bag or possible death.  IF I felt the risk was low for death If I were older, retired, and chasing women in Colombia I might also consider the surgery  I don't know.

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats