It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Quick question about Marriage  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Joeylikey

Quick question about Marriage
« on: April 19, 2006, 06:16:43 PM »
I'm just curious about something. Maybe somebody knows the answer. What's the difference in getting married in Colombia compared to getting married in the U.S. Is all the paperwork the same. (Adjustment of Status) My wife's friend is from Colombia and was married here. She's not aware of anymore paperwork that needs to be filled out for our Gov. Thanks is advanced.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 10:14:26 PM »
Big difference, do some research on it, contact an immigration lawyer.  I have said this before, you marry them in their country, they come up, they turn out to be somebody that they are not, and you’re pretty much stuck, why? Because she is already your wife.  You marry up here; at least you have 90- days, to see if some skeletons come out of the closet, or if she has a different agenda. Either way, you better be damm sure she is not putting one over on you.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 06:57:34 AM »
Quote from: mudd
Big difference, do some research on it, contact an immigration lawyer.  I have said this before, you marry them in their country, they come up, they turn out to be somebody that they are not, and you’re pretty much stuck, why? Because she is already your wife.  You marry up here; at least you have 90- days, to see if some skeletons come out of the closet, or if she has a different agenda. Either way, you better be damm sure she is not putting one over on you.

Some guys like to use the K-1 as a test drive even though it's not meant as such. I still think you should not be marrying anyone that you are not sure about. I married in Colombia and brought my wife here and we've been happily married for about 3 years.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 06:57:34 AM »

Offline Joeylikey

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 08:11:47 AM »
I was wondering about the paperwork after you are already married.  Is the paperwork the same for your wife if you got married in Colombia or got married in the U.S. Does the U.S require the same forms to fill out regardless of where you were married?

Offline Joeylikey

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 08:23:01 AM »
Hey Utopia

I also was married in Colombia. It's been close to a year and we are also both very happy. We are in the process of doing the paperwork for adjustment of status. The only thing I was curious about is if we married in the U.S is the paperwork the same regardless of where you were married at.  Thanks.

Offline Looking4Wife

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 10:44:32 AM »
Joeylikey:

Check out www.visajourney.com

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 11:51:26 AM »
Joey, the difference between marrying here and marrying there involves different visas, different forms, and different procedures.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 09:56:02 PM »
Quote from: Ray
Joey, the difference between marrying here and marrying there involves different visas, different forms, and different procedures.

True but there are an awful lot of similarities between getting a K-1 visa for a fiancee and a K-3 for a spouse. Other than filing the I-130 for the spouse first, they use the same forms (I-129F) and the same embassy process. The AOS process is slightly different for each but fairly similar as well.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 201