It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Colombia trip costs?  (Read 7450 times)

Offline EbonyPrince

Colombia trip costs?
« on: February 10, 2006, 07:50:00 AM »
I am planning a trip to Colombia (Barranquilla) in March or June.  I will be using an agency to meet potential women and I am aware of the agency costs.

What I would like to know is what to expect in normal living costs for 7-10 days?  What are typical costs for meals on dinner dates etc.?  I was told to use a credit card when down there.  How much can I expect to spend on the trip and how much cash should I take?  How much should I convert etc.?  

I would especially like to hear from anyone that has taken the Personal Introductions tour of http://www.latin-wife.com.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 12:20:00 PM by EbonyPrince »

Offline RonnieReagan

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 11:05:10 AM »
Are you staying at an agency or hotel/apartment? If at an agency they will pick you up at the airport. If not then change $30 or so into pesos at the Miami airport to cover your taxi into Cali. Bring your credit card but for emergency only. There is a high international charge added. Bring two debit cards if you have them, one for back up. There are atm machines everywhere. With a debit card there is no need whatsoever to change dollars in Cali. The rate will be terrible but your debit card rate will be very good. To save on transaction fees go to Davidienda atms. They will give you as much as $500.000 at a time, the others $300.000-400.000. Check www.eltiempo.com lower right (TRM) to see current exchange rate. Bring only the dollars you will need on the return trip through the states. Dinner entrees at the restaurants in Barrio Granada (that's the best area for nice restaurants) run from $15.000 to about $35.000. Have fun.

Offline Patrick

Careful with the credit card
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 11:16:11 AM »
I've had my credit card issuer put a freeze on my card during foreign travel (more than once).  You might want to let them know ahead of time to expect some charges in Colombia.

Planet-Love.com

Careful with the credit card
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 11:16:11 AM »

Offline Montrealer

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 12:08:53 PM »
As far as using a credit card and debit cards, I always use the ATM with my debot card.  I get a decent exchange rate and it is just easier.  I usually arrive with about $1 000 000 pesos just so I don't have to rush out and buy pesos the first day.  I can take it easy and when I have free time, I can go.  If you can, use your credit card there for purchases, I would recomend it.  Visa/Mastercard always boast that they have the best exchange rates.  Although contact your credit card company before hand and notify them of your trip.  Don't count on living off your credit card while there, because I found out that my Mastercard was "not supported" at all locations.  I never figured out what "not supported" meant, but it sure was a piss off.  Dann Carleton was one of those places, luckily the person at the desk was smart enough to call for a voice authorization.

As far as your dates, the dates will cost only slightly less than they would in the US.  But bare in mind, you need to pay the ladies taxis ride home.  In Colombia, it is just standard practice, even if it is daytime.

The hotel will charge you for having a lady in your room (about 20% room rate), or to visit the pool.  Also she will need to register each time she goes.  What I do now, is just rent the room for two people and they never ask any questions.  I would recomend it if you have a special lady in mind, but not if you plan on hitting it and quitting it nightly.

Generally, stores and services are about 20-50% less than they would be in North America, but not everything.  If you want quality in Colombia, expect to pay the same or maybe more.

I would recomend a budget of $100 USD a day.  This is after your hotel and airfare.  Plus an additional $500 USD for souvenirs and incidentals.  If you calculate with this, you will have more than enough cash.  You could probably get away with about half.
Send more divers, the last ones tasted great!  -  JAWS

Offline SocialDreg

Don't come during Holy Week
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 12:23:45 PM »
I don't know when it is ..March or April.   But if you come during that week many, many girls are unavailable.  They are too busy praying at the church.

Offline EbonyPrince

Easter?
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 04:25:13 PM »
Does this have to do with Easter?

Has anyone heard or know anything about this?

Offline RonnieReagan

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 04:47:17 PM »
That would be Semana Santa the second week of April I think and as the Dreg says all the non aetheist, non Mormon girles will be praying. However many will be doing so in churches along the beaches of Santa Marta and San Andres.

Offline Gator

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 08:41:03 AM »
Don't panic- the airport is located very close to some really bad neighborhoods.  After a few minutes in the taxi you will see things improve drastically for the better.

Debit and credit cards with the Cirrus logo seem to work the best.  Debit card are the best since most issuing bank don't charge you.  VERY IMPORTANT-call the card issue and your bank BEFOR you go so a hold is not placed on the account when Colombian charges start to be processed.

There are ATM machines by the airport exit doors, go here for a good currency converter:

http://www.oanda.com

Look on the left-hand side and you will see Currency Tools, open FXCheatSheet .  You can print this out and it will give you pesos to dollars and dollars to pesos.

Semana Santa  is April 9-16: A BIG holiday and vacation time-lots of tourist type stuff closed from Wednesday on.  I would take no more than $50.USD in pesos-you can change in most international airports before you leave but the rate would make the MAFIA blush.

$200 a day should be more than enough-but use that debit card.
"Brevior Sltare Cum Deformibus Mulieribus Est Vita!" .

Offline RonnieReagan

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 10:02:44 AM »
Gator I would dearly love to know what debit card issuing banks don't charge for card use in foreign atms. That would be the bargain of the century!

Offline Montrealer

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 10:22:23 AM »
My banks don't.  I have a card with TD Canada Trust as well as Santander Serfin in Mexico.

Usually "the plus" system is free at other countries ATM's

As for US banks, I used to carry a debit card with Key Bank and Trust and they never charged me fees when using the card in Canada, so I would assume they wouldn't overseas.  Maybe you need to find a new bank or at least a different plan.

Offline RexB

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 10:50:38 AM »
EbonyPrince,
  As some have told you, call your credit card company before you go and let them know that you will be there and for how long. Some advice about your cards... Take photo copies of the front and the back and keep them with your Passport in the Hotel safe. If you get robbed you have the phone numbers to call to cancel charges. I do this with all of my Doc's just incase. As for International charges.... I use Visa and asked about then charges on my last trip south. I was told that they charged 3% for Int charges. Not bad if you HAVE to use it. Only use it for large purchases. Your Debit card is the way to go. Just make sure that you have enough funds although you can transfer from savings to checking very easily. I have noticed that if you prompt the ATM for Spanish language, it will give you more money? Don't know why but that was my experience. Do not carry alot of cash with you. Watch your butt when you do get money and be aware of what is going on around you. If you are on foot after using the ATM, if you are going to be victimized, it usually happens within the first two blocks. I hope that you have a good time in BAQ. I enjoyed that city very much. If you have the opportunity, a cool nightclub that i use to go to was The Castle. It is off the hwy going to Cartegena, just west of the Buena Vista Mall. Good luck.....

Offline Gator

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »
Let's See:

My citybank debit-no charge
My First State bank  debit card-no charge
the wife's Conavi debit card-no charge.

If YOUR bank charges it's time to stop replaying the love scene from Deliverance and change banks.  If you take a cash advance the charge would make the mafia blush or make a purchase on a Credit card you are looking a 3% and more.

A trick my daughters use when they come to visit is to scan their credit cards, passport, birth certificate and driver's license into their hotmail e-mail account(available for access word wide) then mail that to their own hotmail account then save in hotmail.  If anything happens you can just go on line and have access to full color copies any where and down load if needed.

Offline EbonyPrince

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 07:41:08 AM »
Don't panic- the airport is located very close to some really bad neighborhoods. After a few minutes in the taxi you will see things improve drastically for the better.

With this in mind, how cautious do I have to be in BAQ?  I don't wear expensive jewelry.  I do however wear a diamond stud in my left ear.  Is this a problem?  Should I wear something else in its place?  

I would probably stay at the Dan Carlton.  Is it safe to be out passed dusk?  Any suggestions on this issue?

Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the information.

Planet-Love.com

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 07:41:08 AM »

Offline Montrealer

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 08:04:25 AM »
If possible, swap the stud for another.  Not the end of the world I would think.  As for going out after dark, I would recomend taking a taxi from the Dann and getting his cell number for pick-up.  Or arranging for a certain pick-up time.  If you do, then make sure you give a tip.  Taking street taxis would not be recomended, but there are taxi companies that you could call which are a little safer.

The Dann has some good drivers out front, and each one will give you there cell number if you ask and will like the extra gringo drive.  Just sort of ask and go with the one that is more sociable.  I found that they are all very sociable and can be very helpful with advice.

BAQ is apparently one of the safer cities, so don't be too worried, but don't make yourself too easy of a target.

Offline Gator

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 09:05:52 AM »
Personally, I would dump the ear stud.  One of the primary rules of thumb anywhere in Colombia is never display wealth:  My wife does not wear her expensive jewelry unless we are going to a private party or a very nice restaurant or cultural event then she usually retires to the lady's room to put it on and takes it off before leaving.  A Timex keeps great time and attracts no interest.  Gold neck chains invite a snatch and grab as do top end sun glasses. I have five or six cameras-the $$$ digital never goes out unless I feel it is really necessary-other than that if I lose one of the others so what. I also went to a shoe repair shop and had him sew a thin chain into the digital's camera case strap-that way it can't be cut. Never carry all your credit cards, or large sums of cash, especially in your wallet in your back pocket-I transfer what I need to my "street" wallet and Tuck than into my sox.

Follow Montrealer's excellent advice on a taxi-find one you like and stick with him-after you make a decision a ten dollar tip makes a friend for life(on time only) and the same applies for the doorman where you stay.

It it THAT bad?  not really-just stuff I picked up after over twenty years in Colombia.  Use what I posted or disreguard-no big deal.   :wink:  :wink:

Offline texasmann

• Probie
my budget
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 03:24:26 PM »
I spent 2 weeks in cartegena an averaged around 60.00 a day after hotel room an airline ticket. I never used a cab as I am in an electric wheelchair an my wife enjoys the craziness off rideing in my lap if something was less than 4 blocks; otherwise she take a cab an i met her there. I would ride from bocagrande to the old city an she would meet me there an we spend part of the day there. I only had a problem when it came to being to close tho the sand an getting stuck; which only happen one time.

I have 2 special pockets on my chair where I keep 1 card an another were I keep my debit card(which I ALWAYS USED) an a third card in the safe in the hotel room(WHICH I NEVER USED). I rarely have cash; if so only about 10 dolors an my wife carries about 10.00 incase we went somewhere that did't take credit cards

I took my diamond stud out an put in a cross an I was never bothered; an I went out at night, but no later than 12:30 an always on the main bocagrande strip at night.

I put 1500 in my debit card account for the 2 weeks an spent about 850.00

Offline RonnieReagan

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 07:29:10 PM »
EP when you go out the airport doors you will see a booth next to the line of waiting taxis. Go to that booth, give them the address of your hotel and they will issue you a printed statement that states what the correct fare is to your destination. Then you get into the first taxi in line and show him the printed statement. No dickering, no problem...but it's important to know that taxistas in B/quilla don't have taxi-metros like they do in Cali and Bogota so during the rest of your stay always negotiate the fare with the driver through the passenger window and get a clear answer before getting into the taxi.

Offline Montrealer

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 07:41:40 PM »
The past 2 times that I've went to BAQ, the booth was always vacant.  Maybe they are always out for a bathroom break or something.

If nobody is there, what I usually do is load my bags in the back seat and ride up front.  It just seems safer and you can keep an eye out if they are reaching under there seat between them and the door.  This is where most, if not all drivers carry some type of weapon for protection.  Makes me more comfortable.

A taxi from the airport to Dann Carleton has cost me $22 000 and $27 000.  Depends on the driver I guess.  It's usually about $14 000 the way from hotel to airport.

Offline RonnieReagan

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 08:02:26 PM »
Depending on the number of bags you have that sure beats loading them all into the front seat next to the driver.

Offline kunfuzed1

• Probie
Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 02:16:12 PM »
EP,

I would very much be interested in hearing aout your trip when you get back.  I plan on going down there not too long after that.  It would be great because I might be using the same agency, unless I talk to some women prior to that and feel that my spanish is up to par..  And being that it's your first time over in BQ and it being pretty close to when I might be going it would be a fresh perspective on what to expect for a first timer..
"A day gone by without laearning something new is a day wasted, it means you weren't paying ATTENTION"

Offline EbonyPrince

11 days and counting
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2006, 06:49:28 PM »
I am heading for BAQ April 6-15.  The agency will be picking me and dropping me off at the airport.  I will be staying in an agency house.  Everyone's posts have been helpful as far as the living costs to expect.

Any recommendations of what I should do to be able to call back to the states?  I have a quad band mobile phone.  I don't plan to call around Colombia, because I don't speak the language well enough.  I am supposed to have a translator/assistant the whole 10 days that I am there, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Offline Ken

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2006, 07:05:57 PM »
Many of the bigger internet cafes have very cheap international call service. What agency in Barranquilla offers B&B style lodging? I didn't know there were any. If you want to see a wierd old museum check out the Museo Romantico (or something like that). For lunch and a swim in the ocean ask the taxi to take you out to the Pradomar hotel, about a half hour out of the city. Unlike Cali B/q taxis don't have meters so ask the driver how much to your destination before you get in. Have a great trip.

Offline EbonyPrince

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2006, 07:45:52 PM »
Thanks Ken.  I will be using latin-wife.com.  For future guests, I guess they will be using a private condo in a gated community.  It has a shared pool and it apparently overlooks the ocean.  It will have a maid, but you have to purchase the groceries.  I think that I will actually be the first to be going this route with the agency, so I hope that everything turns out well.  Not knowing what to expect, I am somewhat in the dark.  I have spoken to a lot of people that have used this agency, thus I feel pretty self-assured that things should be cool.

Planet-Love.com

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2006, 07:45:52 PM »

Offline Ken

Colombia trip costs?
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 05:21:00 AM »
Ah that one ok thanks. One word of caution. Watch your money! That agency may try to pad your costs nickle and diming you to death for everything they can think of. Scrutinize well the charges and ask what it will cost everytime you're offered any "help" that wasn't clearly included in your original deal with them.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 201